Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-13, 22:44   Link #1
gondo

help a noob

Hey,

I just got into anime recently and have watched the really big anime (Naruto, FMA, bleach) and want to know what to watch next. There is just so much to watch I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks a lot,
Nicola
Old 2010-03-13, 23:24   Link #2
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Is there any type of genre you prefer? You've so far mentioned animes that are considered to be in the shounen category. They can feature action, serious stories and even slapstick comedy at times.

I'd suggest Fullmetal Panic! when going on that criteria. It's a mecha (robot) anime that contains some brilliant humour, plenty of action and a serious story.

But perhaps you'd like to try something new? If you would like to step up the seriousness of the story and add some elements of drama then I'd suggest Juuni Kokuki. It's a truly epic fantasy anime telling the story of a world struggling with its politics and people overcoming their personal troubles. This one falls under the seinen category.

Happy anime watching!

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2010-03-13 at 23:37.
Old 2010-03-14, 01:48   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Hey. If you're a "noob" but you want to explore other genres, then here are some you can start with:

Romance/Comedy: Love Hina

Romance/Drama: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Clannad

(pseudo)-Slice of Life: Ichigo Mashimaro

A bit of everything: Full Metal Panic! (and Fumoffu!)

What the Fuck: Elfen Lied

More Shounen: Rurouni Kenshin

Magical Girl: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Cardcaptor Sakura
Old 2010-03-14, 03:36   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I would suggest a smoother shift to other genres, so, in order:
1) Soul Eater
2) Death Note
3) Cowboy Bebop
4) Gintama
5) Toradora!
6) CLANNAD/ CLANNAD: afterstory

That should do it, I hope it helps
Old 2010-03-14, 04:44   Link #5
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Sounds like the notable series of the last decade or so would be worth your time, or those that help retain fans. So I'll take the tack of '10 series I would give to someone who is starting out/wanting to get into anime' as my theme:

Code Geass (action/drama/romance/mecha)
Cowboy Bebop (action fuzed with jazz)
Mushishi (slice of life)
Trigun (action)
Elfen Lied (gore/drama)
Samurai Champloo (action fused with hip hop)
Eden of the East (action/drama/romance with very modern themes)
Paranoia Agent (thriller)
Death Note (thriller/drama)
Azumanga Daioh (comedy/slice of life)

To read about some details of these series or to find other series, use www.anidb.net

Now note that these are not the 10 I would consider the best necessarily. These are 10 I suggest to someone starting out. Because some of the best series have too many traits or themes that you won't get unless you've watched anime for a while. From my experiences of watching people who are trying out anime, these 10 seem to keep people watching in greater numbers and also help bridge the gap to the traits/regular themes/jokes in anime, so to speak.
Old 2010-03-14, 09:09   Link #6
Nowusee
Total Coolness

FAIRY TAIL! FTW!
Old 2010-03-14, 20:11   Link #7
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
hunter x hunter is most similar to what you have watched so far. The main actor (gon) in hunter x hunter is the same voice actor as naruto. The series is very similar to naruto and one piece.

First two episodes are a little slow.

oh you may like one piece.

And if you are new make sure you get subbed version of animes not dubbed. Dubbed anime has all the blood and swearing cut from it.

Hey nicola im gonna throw this one out here, but hajime no ippo might be worth giving a try for you. I think you may be amazed and surprised how well you like that series

if you like the two above or watch them let me know

oh and once u done and if you do like them i can give ya some more .
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-14, 21:11   Link #8
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Sounds like the notable series of the last decade or so would be worth your time, or those that help retain fans. So I'll take the tack of '10 series I would give to someone who is starting out/wanting to get into anime' as my theme:

Code Geass (action/drama/romance/mecha)
Cowboy Bebop (action fuzed with jazz)
Mushishi (slice of life)
Trigun (action)
Elfen Lied (gore/drama)
Samurai Champloo (action fused with hip hop)
Eden of the East (action/drama/romance with very modern themes)
Paranoia Agent (thriller)
Death Note (thriller/drama)
Azumanga Daioh (comedy/slice of life)

To read about some details of these series or to find other series, use www.anidb.net

Now note that these are not the 10 I would consider the best necessarily. These are 10 I suggest to someone starting out. Because some of the best series have too many traits or themes that you won't get unless you've watched anime for a while. From my experiences of watching people who are trying out anime, these 10 seem to keep people watching in greater numbers and also help bridge the gap to the traits/regular themes/jokes in anime, so to speak.
this is a great list to start off with and ill add some of my own.

Black Lagoon
Full Metal Panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bakemonogatari
Darker Than Black
Baccano
Durarara
Speed Grapher
Old 2010-03-14, 21:23   Link #9
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

One piece is an acquired taste, a lot of people are put off by its rather unique art style but if you get past the first 10 episodes or so, you would be hooked. I started off with naruto/bleach etc now one piece is my favorite long running shonen.

If you're into mech, gundam 00 is the one to go. Its the most recent in the series, animation quality is excellent, engaging story, very memorable characters, epic soundtrack composed by Kawai Kenji. It can be a bit tedious at time with its politics but trust me its definitely worth checking out.

If you're into intellectual anime with a bit of philosophical ideas Ghost in the shell is the choice for you. There's also Ergo Proxy but its very deep and half the time you won't know what is going on, however I enjoyed it thoroughly none the less.

Also there's Serei No Moribito, made by the same studio as Ghost in the shell series. Animation quality is top notch, music again by legendary Kawai Kenji. Starts off slow but the characters are very well developed, very likable, you will laugh, cry with them as they grow on you as the story progress.

As for comedy, there really is no competition - Gintama is the one to go
Old 2010-03-15, 01:45   Link #10
Peterbigeyes

These are my recommendations : )

Ga-rei Zero - Supernatural stuff, with a very intense storyline, not a very long series though.

Chaos Head - Interesting and very unique storyline.

Death Note - If you watch anime, you cannot miss this

Fate Stay Night - One of those I wished never ended

Claymore - Gory, intense with a superb story
Old 2010-03-22, 10:18   Link #11
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Clearly, you should check Cross Game out. Give it a try, at least the first episode.

Also, all the other shows already recommended.

Old 2010-03-23, 05:33   Link #12
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I will reiterate Clannad, Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop. I will also put forth SoraNoWoto.

And obviously, Cross Game.
Old 2010-03-23, 10:53   Link #13
NoLongerSane

I concur with those that recommended Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, Trigun, Neon Genesis, and Fairy Tail. I would like to add Outlaw Star, Excel Saga, Tenchi TV, and Betterman.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:51   Link #14
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

A good transition series for shounen watchers to other types of anime series is Read or Die, both the OVAS and the TV version (you can also find it as R.O.D.) It has a good dose of action without neglecting character development and an engrossing story. Definitely recommended.

That, and Cross Game. Do not be deluded by the sports front the series has (and that might scare of some people), this series is a masterpiece.
Old 2010-03-23, 12:05   Link #15
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Try Fate/Stay night if you war craving some mythology and fantasy battle royale.

Try Code Geass if you want some tragedy mixed in with good intentions turned morally grey.

Try Vision of Escaflowne, it's an odd anime but the series is good. The movie.. well, graphically better but with summarized story. Go for the series, then the movie if you have to

What you need to watch to get a good grasp on anime, and what to expect

1. Ouran Highschool - Slice of life comedy
2. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Action adventure with romance.
3. Darker then Black - Hard to explain.... you will thank me later, though

The three listed are pretty great, though I recommend Code Geass yet again if you want morally grey with a hint of fanservice and exploding mecha. X3 lol
Old 2010-03-23, 19:23   Link #16
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'll just add Kuroshitsuji (awesome gothic fantasy mystery series featuring a demon butler as one of the leads), Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (over the top epic awesome fun) and Sword of the Stranger (fantastic swordfighting samurai movie) to the list, they're a few of my favourites.

And, if you're willing to go a little hardcore and watch an intense, thickly plotted, incredibly realistic (as realistic as anime can get) and plain brilliant drama/thriller/mystery, go for Monster. It's really long (74 eps) and heavy, but it's a must-watch masterpiece.

The others I would've recommended to you but already have been listed...

Darker than BLACK
Gundam 00
Eden of the East
Soul Eater
Baccano!

By the way, if you've only watched the first FMA, you should also definitely take a shot at the remake, FMA: Brotherhood. I prefer its story and animation over the first, but that's only if you haven't watched it yet
Old 2010-03-25, 19:39   Link #17
kakashibatosi

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!!!!!! NOW!!! Do not wait, your soul has been aching for this anime without knowing it since your birth!
Closed Thread