Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-24, 03:37   Link #21
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Once again: Cross Game.

It's also worth watching Studio Ghibli films. They are generally upbeat with happy endings. Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Only Yesterday etc.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-24 at 04:11.
Old 2010-03-24, 08:00   Link #22
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
you might wanna try stellvia, its got a great cast of characters, its different than any other romance anime you watch.

it doesnt just jump into a romance or have a crazy harem, the characters actually develop then fall for eachother later in the anime. (most romance animes fall for the character on first few eps, this one takes longer than that and makes it seem more real).

Anyway its set in future and after a huge world disaster. Good cast, great music and lots of amazing back stories behind each character.

Heroic age is also set in space and has action but damn thats the kinda anime where you can see people look up to gods in the past (if they did exist). Its a story about age and deliana both gods in their own right who meet for the first time - i wont say more. Also impending doom and lots of action. (not just romance - action to).

If you watch either of them let me know what you think, its nice to know what a fellow otaku thinks of your suggestions heh.

Oh you should try hunter x hunter to, its not romance let me make that clear. But the friendships in that anime are amazing, the feeling of each character is great and you can feel a strong comrade between each character. Expecially for the main character called Gon (best anime made, but first 2 episodes are slow, if you get to episode 3 you are hooked.)

Anyway two romance animes you will love and more to your liking and famous in their own rights in both Japan and the english world are Onegai Twins and Onegai Teacher.

Onegai twins - one picture, one boy, one girl. Both blue eyes. Only hint of their past, however one boy and 2 girls have the picture. Whois his real sister? Well he better find out cause hes falling for both of them.

Onegai teacher - student falls for his female teacher.

Those all awesome animes, and suit anyone who likes anything

Hajime no Ippo might be worth watching to. Its real life world about a kid who gets bullied at school. He is getting beat up when he is saved by a boxer. He falls in love with the sport after seeing how good he was at fighting and after watching a video of boxing. He proceeds to train to become the boxer after wondering how it would feel to be that strong. During this anime he falls for a girl and their relationship develops as it progesses (this is not a main point of the anime but a backdrop, but again feels more real than the romance animes where they fall for them on first episode).

Anyway that should be enough to keep you going, again let me know what you think of them if you dont mind
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-24, 18:23   Link #23
Otaku_In_Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavie View Post
you might wanna try stellvia, its got a great cast of characters, its different than any other romance anime you watch.

it doesnt just jump into a romance or have a crazy harem, the characters actually develop then fall for eachother later in the anime. (most romance animes fall for the character on first few eps, this one takes longer than that and makes it seem more real).

Anyway its set in future and after a huge world disaster. Good cast, great music and lots of amazing back stories behind each character.

Heroic age is also set in space and has action but damn thats the kinda anime where you can see people look up to gods in the past (if they did exist). Its a story about age and deliana both gods in their own right who meet for the first time - i wont say more. Also impending doom and lots of action. (not just romance - action to).

If you watch either of them let me know what you think, its nice to know what a fellow otaku thinks of your suggestions heh.

Oh you should try hunter x hunter to, its not romance let me make that clear. But the friendships in that anime are amazing, the feeling of each character is great and you can feel a strong comrade between each character. Expecially for the main character called Gon (best anime made, but first 2 episodes are slow, if you get to episode 3 you are hooked.)

Anyway two romance animes you will love and more to your liking and famous in their own rights in both Japan and the english world are Onegai Twins and Onegai Teacher.

Onegai twins - one picture, one boy, one girl. Both blue eyes. Only hint of their past, however one boy and 2 girls have the picture. Whois his real sister? Well he better find out cause hes falling for both of them.

Onegai teacher - student falls for his female teacher.

Those all awesome animes, and suit anyone who likes anything

Hajime no Ippo might be worth watching to. Its real life world about a kid who gets bullied at school. He is getting beat up when he is saved by a boxer. He falls in love with the sport after seeing how good he was at fighting and after watching a video of boxing. He proceeds to train to become the boxer after wondering how it would feel to be that strong. During this anime he falls for a girl and their relationship develops as it progesses (this is not a main point of the anime but a backdrop, but again feels more real than the romance animes where they fall for them on first episode).

Anyway that should be enough to keep you going, again let me know what you think of them if you dont mind
Nice descriptions. Onegai Twins and Stellvia sounds really interesting.

Once again I wanted to say thanks everyone for their suggestions. I looked them all up on AniDB and they all look interesting. Now i got a long list to keep me busy for a while and still finishing up Final Fantasy 13 so might take a bit to get feedback for each one. Not sure where to start but I guess i'll just choose one randomly. Probably will try some of the sadder stuff again later on starting with Kanon then some of Key's other works.
Old 2010-03-24, 18:31   Link #24
babohtea

Studio Ghibli films always leave me with a "wtf LSD" feeling afterwards. Do you like bittersweet endings?
Old 2010-03-25, 18:28   Link #25
Otaku_In_Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Studio Ghibli films always leave me with a "wtf LSD" feeling afterwards. Do you like bittersweet endings?
dont think im ready for a bittersweet ending now but if you have any to recommend i can write it down to watch it later on
Old 2010-03-25, 18:34   Link #26
Wavie
Freedom

I still strongly recommend hajime no ippo , its romance is slim and hardly present but the anime is damn good. A lot of people get put off by this anime because its about boxing and another great anime many people dont watch is hikaru no go because its about a board game.

both really highly rated... you might want to add them to your list.
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-27, 04:41   Link #27
Otaku_In_Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Doesn't AS have a nice cheerful twist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavie View Post
yea clannad ending

Spoiler:

I will give you suggestions of good romance anime later if ya want, bed time right now.
Just finished Clannad AS last night.

Spoiler:

I just started watching Hajime no Ippo since one of my firend had it so I got it from him and working on getting all the other ones from the suggestions now Just first the first 4 episodes and its pretty good so far. Just wondering does the story get any deeper later on?
Old 2010-03-27, 12:49   Link #28
Wavie
Freedom

Yea it gets better and better. Thats an anime you enjoy more and more. I think it reaches its peak around the middle of the first season.

The thing is its not just about ippo, its about the boxers he meets and about the the fights from other people within the gym. Trying not to ruin to much but damn that anime is good . The first 4 eps are slow compared to how good that anime gets . You are getting to the good point on ippo tho. I think it really kicks off after episode 10 plus. Seen any of the other ones?

But let me say this... when you see some the fights you can't help but you pumped up yourself watching it , some of them are damn good and im not even a fan of boxing . oh you know there is a 2 seasons of ippo, and like 2-3 movie/ovas. make sure you watch season 1 first (I'm sure you are), what happened so far?, then ovas/movies then the second season.

First 2 episodes of hunter x hunter are slow to but by episode 3 you will start to understand the direction the anime is going, You dont meet the rest of the main characters until say episode 6. I don't think I liked the first 2 episodes of hunter x hunter but episode 3 showed a huge improvement. there is no romance in hunter x hunter tho, mainly about friendship (mighta said that above not sure lol). The animation on both hunter x hunter and hajime no ippo gets better as it goes on. Really good feelings watching hunter x hunter, you grow really attached to the characters more so than you will on any other anime (well in my opinion)

If you like to vary your anime you may want to try hikaru no go. its about a board game called go, after i watched some animes like hajime no ippo, gantz and a few others i decided to try anime i hated the sound of becuase they were usually awesome. (anime i hated sound of but had high ratings heh). hikaru no go is totally not what your asking for in this thread so you may want to ignore this suggestion. he ages as the anime goes on and has spirit that only he can see that leads him to play a board game called go, one of the most complicated games in the world. After I finished this anime I started playing the game in real life . As usual first few episodes are slow and again it doesnt match what you ask for at all... perhaps you will like it. You will know by first few eps. (I didnt know how to play game whiles I watched this anime and you dont need to know). If you dont like hikaru no go by say episode 2 then you prob wont like the rest. It's love hate for that anime. Check out its ratings on anidb tho

If you like ippo I got another that is similar for you to watch after it.

if you run out of stuff to watch just post here, I subscribed to thread so I see when ya post here , I know other ones to keep ya busy when you done but I'm sure you will be busy for a while. Keep me updated what you think of those animes . Nice to hear how you're recommendations go down with people.

I blame you for this lol, I started watching hikaru no go again.
My Anime List

Last edited by Wavie; 2010-03-28 at 10:42.
Old 2010-03-28, 16:47   Link #29
Otaku_In_Training

finally got a chance to watch more of Ippo just finished episode 29. I'm really enjoying it so far. Haven't had a chance to watch anything else yet since I usually only watch one anime at a time, but seems like this one will keep me busy for a while since its a pretty long series and has a second season.
Old 2010-03-29, 01:10   Link #30
Wavie
Freedom

i'm glad you like it man . hikaru no go has a similar tense atmosphere during matches, you will love that and hunter x hunter is just a great story and cast. I'm sure you will enjoy those two just as much.

You're getting to some really good parts of ippo now But cool ta for update hehe.
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-29, 11:19   Link #31
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Just finished Cross Game. Happy ending is confirmed.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-03-29, 23:16   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
True Tears would be a good choice. So would Ghost Hound, though it's certainly different in style.

Cross Game? Ask me next week...
OK, I'll recommend Cross Game now!
Old 2010-03-30, 17:19   Link #33
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Can't believe for a happier anime this hasn't been mentioned yet, while it isn't a romance, I'd reccomend Kobato the series is generally happy, and heart warming type every episode[at least how far I've watched anyways] with some comedy in there as well.
MAL
Old 2010-03-30, 17:53   Link #34
Otaku_In_Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Just finished Cross Game. Happy ending is confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
OK, I'll recommend Cross Game now!
nice i will start downloading now. just wonering between the subs is there one u prefer?
Old 2010-03-30, 18:22   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I was a loyal Subsmith fan, because I didn't want to wait. I found their work pretty top-notch, though I know some others preferred Central Anime. My view is you can't go wrong either way.
Old 2010-03-30, 19:12   Link #36
Wavie
Freedom

I thought cross game was ok, dont you think it got a little slow at middle to end?

people seem to be going crazy over it . In romance genre tho i suppose cross game would rank above onegai twins and onegai teacher . More to what you're asking for than those 2. I just felt cross game got a little boring , i like a mix of comedy, romance and a fast paced story.

Cross game definitely had the romance and a fun sport side to it tho, altho a little long.

After you're done with that or if you're watching that first dont forget to try hunter x hunter and hikaru no go. I am sure those will be animes you will love.

Hikaru no go sorta comparable to cross game without romance - but very intense and interesting. You'll see what I mean.
Hunter x Hunter just exciting, fast paced, good action, amazing friendships but first 2 eps are slow .

If youre interested in watching a movie: summer wars is great fun to watch . I almost hit x button in first 3 mins tho
My Anime List

Last edited by Wavie; 2010-03-30 at 19:26.
Old 2010-03-30, 19:53   Link #37
McMilk
*Artist

I would recommend Minami-ke (SERIOUSLY WATCH IT), Kannagi, and Lucky Star which is from the same studio as Clannad (if you haven't watched already ). All of these are comedy btw.
Old 2010-03-31, 09:19   Link #38
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I also recommend Summer Wars if you're looking for a film. It's brilliant.

@ Wavie - Cross Game is by no means meant to be fast paced. It's a slow story mean to invoke a sort of Slice of Life feel to it.
Old 2010-03-31, 09:29   Link #39
Wavie
Freedom

ah yea i know , i just couldnt stand waiting a week for each episode . But yea i understand it was ment to be slice of life and I think it did it really well. I'm big fan of touch and H2 as well, made me happy an anime similar to them came out.

have you seen hikaru no go, Haak? thats also sort of slice of life sorta anime, but it manages to keep a good pace and the story is brillant.
My Anime List
Old 2010-04-04, 09:23   Link #40
kanon78
Confederate

Kaichou wa Maid-sama
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7054/Kaichou_wa_Maid-sama!