AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-12-27, 03:26   Link #61
Rhah

I retract my previous statement about the spelling. It seems after perusing other threads on this forum that many other members have hashed out discussions about the spelling of Horo/Holo and the last thing I want to do is beat a dead horse.

As I said, the only reason that Holo sounds more native to me, is because she was first introduced as Holo. Either name does her justice though. =P

Now, all I have to do is find a girl like Holo and then I'll be set. Within reasonable expectations at least, as the wolf ears and tail are impossible. =P How disappointing.
In the meantime, I'll have to resign myself to collecting posters and reading the novel I bought today. It wont last until the next publication unfortunately.

Last edited by Rhah; 2009-12-27 at 12:45.
Rhah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 18:11   Link #62
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

I wonder, will this change everyone who watches', typing of Horo/Holo? I'll likely stick with Horo either way.
Old 2009-12-31, 23:30   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have a running gag that I'll just spell it ’ホロ’ as my form of rebellion.

At least its an opportunity to pull out the romaji chart.
Old 2010-01-01, 10:43   Link #64
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
I wonder, will this change everyone who watches', typing of Horo/Holo? I'll likely stick with Horo either way.
I tend to write Holo when I'm referring to the American releases (the dub or YP's novel) and Horo when I'm in fansub territory. Also, if I'm quoting someone who mentioned her, I follow the spelling used by the person I quoted.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 00:25   Link #65
Starburst
Horo♥

Just watched the dub all the way through. I'm not impressed, but I didn't hate it either. It didn't seem terrible like I was expecting it to be, though parts of it were quite painful. After a while I'd forgotten entirely that I was watching a dub. Horo was still Horo (and to answer the above, I obvious still call her Horo).

Should mention though, I haven't bothered to listen to a dub of an anime in quite a long time, not counting Miyazaki films released by Disney.
Old 2010-01-10, 12:00   Link #66
typhonsentra

Yeah, I finally heard the new voices (Got the DVDs a while ago.) and..... Horo/Holo's new voice is very different. It's not necessarily a bad choice but it's pretty jarring for me as it makes the entire feel of the character change with the accent and haughty intonation. She also sounds considerably older too, it's supposed to be that people will think she's younger than Lawrence in their every day outings, or at least that's how it is in the books.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 23:54   Link #67
GoGetMyShotgun

I'm actually quite pleased they decided to use 'Holo' for the english dub. It would have sounded strange, if not unnatural, hearing the combined sounds of the "r" and "d" in 'Horo' as they spoke in english. And it's way better than hearing them say 'whore-o' or something.

"Don't leave me alone anymore." ~ Billionaire Girl
GoGetMyShotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 22:54   Link #68
LKK

During Funimation's third online panel today, one of the panelists mentioned that Funi has pursued licensing the second season of S&W because sales of season 1 were strong.

Quote:
In talking about sales of shows and second seasons, some shows like Spice and Wolf and Kenichi were talked about in that the sales were strong and they pursued the follow-up material quickly.
[Source]

This is NOT the same as an official license announcement. But I take it as a sign that a second season license is likely. To be honest, I never for a moment doubted that Funi would go after S&W's second season. I'm surprised that they mentioned it though.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 00:53   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Glad to hear its on their radar....
Old 2010-03-30, 03:33   Link #70
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Really! That's great... I would be very disappointed if they didn't!

Now if only...
Old 2010-03-30, 04:35   Link #71
Starburst
Horo♥

Awesome news!

I hope they offer it in Bluray. Recently asked them on twitter, and they weren't planning on it though. Don't mind the first season isn't Bluray, but I think the second season could benefit. If a DVD season costs ~$30 (I think that's what I paid for S&W), then I'll happily pay $60 for Bluray.
Old 2010-03-30, 09:11   Link #72
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
This is NOT the same as an official license announcement. But I take it as a sign that a second season license is likely. To be honest, I never for a moment doubted that Funi would go after S&W's second season. I'm surprised that they mentioned it though.
Well, recently Sentai picked up the second season of Hell Girl (and most people had the general impression it was selling alright as well) so now the play field is open again on who picks up the second season of what.
Still, great to hear, hope Funi and YP can coordinate and try to both release something at the same time to bounce the hype off of each other.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 12:52   Link #73
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Excellent... would be nice to get the second season as a dub/licensed release I can import and understand I'd seen the American DVD for the first season was widely sold out whilst I was trying to order it, so I'd figured sales must have been decent. Wish it'd get a UK release though, the picture quality tends to be better (480 vs 576 lines and as can be seen from many of the internet rips, anime often doesnt suffer too badly from losing a few frames if the encode is done well)!
And yes...I'd actually buy a UK copy as well to show support if I could find it reasonably, same as I've got more than one copy of the Yen Press novel.

The 2nd season is certainly different from the 1st, but it knows how to pull the heart strings. If you even mention Amarti to my brother you should see the look he pulls after I got him to watch it

Now all we need is an official announcement of Season 2 dub, followed by Yen Press releasing several books at once, followed by a Japanese announcement of Season 3. Id be a very happy man if this all happened.

Blu-ray releases of both seasons (preferably region free) with subs/dubs would also be awesome news.
As well as my imported official Funimation copy of Season 1, I've got a 720p copy done by a guy named Niizk which really knocks the pants off the official DVD in terms of picture quality, I'd prefer to have one copy as my 'go to'. The blu-ray version could probably get away with holding both audio tracks in 5.1 in decent quality without having to reduce one set to stereo as well. Whilst S&W isn't the most active series in audio effects etc, it could certainly be used to increase the atmosphere, and music mixed well for it sounds great.
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-03-30 at 13:02.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 16:50   Link #74
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus
The 2nd season is certainly different from the 1st, but it knows how to pull the heart strings. If you even mention Amarti to my brother you should see the look he pulls after I got him to watch it

Now all we need is an official announcement of Season 2 dub, followed by Yen Press releasing several books at once, followed by a Japanese announcement of Season 3. Id be a very happy man if this all happened.
Well, we all know Amati is a punk you-know-what! So...

As for that line-up of events... I think that would be perfect. Plus maybe an announcement that all the stuff I have scans of that is not collected at this point (which are only 20 pages tops) is being slated to be added into one of the upcoming manga collections!

But yeah, I'd definitely be happy with an announcement about a Season III!
I wouldn't be able to sit still waiting on it to air!
Old 2010-03-31, 14:39   Link #75
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
During Funimation's third online panel today, one of the panelists mentioned that Funi has pursued licensing the second season of S&W because sales of season 1 were strong.
Good to hear that they are interested in dubbing Season 2. It's also good to know that season 1 has been selling well.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 18:13   Link #76
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

At Anime Boston 2010, Funimation have announced that they have licensed Spice and Wolf II.

This is great news. Hope they've had it in thier pockets for a while and have started the translation/dubbing already!

Also to prove Im not talking out my *** I've just found this on ANN:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...the-east-films

Pretty explicit they now have S&WII
Old 2010-04-03, 18:17   Link #77
Rajura

Fan-stinkin'-tastic!

Best news I've heard all day... How did I miss that one?

Oh well, Woohoo indeed!

(I just hope I'm the one here to announce if and when (I hope) S&W gets a 3rd season!
Old 2010-04-03, 18:23   Link #78
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Aye, hope it gets one, as far as I can tell its reasonably successful, and the ending to the last season certainly makes a 3rd possible, and the content available means even a 4th or more series possible dependant on whether they decide to stick closely to the novels, and finish the series.

Hopefully they've had the license for a little while and are already part way through the dubbing/translation process so I can order the DVD before my 23rd B'day!
Old 2010-04-03, 19:39   Link #79
Starburst
Horo♥

Great news! I heard via Twitter but there wasn't anything on ANN when I'd checked so I wasn't sure if it was just fake news being retweeted or what. Good to know it's real and confirmed, rather happy about that.

Wish the april fools tweet I got was real though, mentioned a 3rd season preview on Crunchyroll. I didn't fall for it but I wished it true so hard.
Old 2010-04-03, 19:48   Link #80
Rajura

Yep, glad I didn't get that tweet!
Granted I'm too jaded to fall for that kind of stuff these days, but even so...

Here are my hopes for season 2: that the voice actors for the established characters are kept the same, the intensity of episodes 1-5 holds up to that of the original Japanese, the English subs are better than Season 1, and that it comes out soon (but not at the expense of quality)!!!