AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 13 20.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 46.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 23.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-09, 02:47   Link #21
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

great episode as always! I can't see what happened in next episode
Old 2012-11-09, 02:53   Link #22
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Great episode; in my opinion, the best so far. It was much more fast-paced, intense and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout those 20 minutes or so. As I did with Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero (especially the latter), I enjoyed Urobuchi's throwing in bits of philosophy (in this episode's case, Masaoka's conversation with Akane) throughout the series so far, which served as good food for thought. I also liked the part where Kogami and Karanomori were narrowing down the CommuField users to Mido.

The fact that Kogami was Ginoza's partner and a former Inspector was nicely revealed. It wasn't overly dramatic, but there was still significant emotional impact. It would be a twist if Kogami turned out to resemble Akane in the past, being selected for the Inspector job out of many candidates, then getting too involved with latent criminals (Shougo?) and was demoted to being an Enforcer. Ah well, just something I randomly thought of.

Anyway, it does explain Ginoza's animosity against the Enforcers and their methods (as he once showed to Masaoka) and his cautioning Akane repeatedly not to follow their footsteps. Since Kogami often seems to be at ease in Ginoza's presence (for instance, calling him 'Gino'), I also thought that they could have been friends in the past.

And I wonder if making the Dominator blow people up was to add more 'gory spice' to the show. It's a really messy way of getting rid of the criminals...
Old 2012-11-09, 03:22   Link #23
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And precludes interrogation afterward.
Old 2012-11-09, 04:38   Link #24
Terizent
Nonsense!

They probably weren't going to take their chances with Mido and give him the chance to do anything after what he'd done. After all he did set up and blow up a bomb and hack a building's holograms. And it seems that the Dominators can't be switched to a lower mode anyways.
Old 2012-11-09, 05:37   Link #25
Jimmy C

And the drugs Mido was on kept him going even after his arm was blown off. I don't think the stun mode would have had any effect on him.
Old 2012-11-09, 09:24   Link #26
Candyshark

I dont think interrogating Mido would give much to the team other that increasing Kogami CC even more if he find out Shogo is behind all this. Looks like anarchist can cover their trails very effectively.

I really would like to see Sybil system be more established especially in first episodes. It really hard to see the merit to it seeing that crimes still happen, no throrough control over population CC, who knows how many other latent criminals avoid scanners? What are criteria for CC?

And of course the separation between enforcers and inspectors. Seeing how proactive Tomomi and Kogami are and Gino is constantly on sidelines when it come to handling situation I can hardly speak against enforcer methods.

The thing that really caught my attention is the fact that Kogami refused therapy. That is some determination to catch one guy. Wonder if he wanted become enforcer on purpose so he seeing how limited the inspectors in the actions. Was he driven to the limit by the same sence of justice Akane reasoned to save the woman?
Old 2012-11-09, 09:31   Link #27
Dark Wing

Yea I wouldn't have taken a chance with Mido either.

Also Gino was probably still pissed that he tried to blow him up...

Anyway now that all these well know Avatars are under Shogo's control I wonder what he'll do with them?

Rally the masses to fight the current system?
Old 2012-11-09, 09:33   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayneing View Post
I was disappointed that they didn't take Mido alive at the end (still not sure if it's even possible for the Enforcers/Inspector to override the Dominator's lethal setting), especially after they overheard part of the conversation he had with Makishima. A living criminal can always be interrogated after all, and I would've thought the conversation would make it clear that Mido was not acting alone.
I would very much like to know if it's possible for them to override the setting of the Dominator, because if they can't, that's a severe limitation. They should be able to choose what kind of force they wish to use. From what we've seen so far (Kogami vs the masked man in the first episode being the best example), it seems like they have to wait for Sibyl's judgment in order to use the dominator (the gun remains locked otherwise and there's nothing they can do about it), so I don't think it's possible to manually override the settings in one way or another. It makes you ponder which of the dominator or the user is the tool.
Old 2012-11-09, 09:53   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I would very much like to know if it's possible for them to override the setting of the Dominator, because if they can't, that's a severe limitation. They should be able to choose what kind of force they wish to use. From what we've seen so far (Kogami vs the masked man in the first episode being the best example), it seems like they have to wait for Sibyl's judgment in order to use the dominator (the gun remains locked otherwise and there's nothing they can do about it), so I don't think it's possible to manually override the settings in one way or another. It makes you ponder which of the dominator or the user is the tool.
Excellent observations. This is why I disagreed with the comparison between the Dominator and speedometer that was made on another thread.

It really does seem like the Dominators strictly limits the choices of those who use them.

Sibyl doesn't seem to leave everything up to human choice. Whether the Dominator is able to fire, and what it will fire (paralyzing shot or lethal shot) does not appear to be left to the discretion of the user. "To shoot or not to shoot" appears to still be a choice, but only if the Dominator allows itself to be shot.

It's still possible that the Dominator has a manual override, but it's a fading possibility with every passing episode that we don't see such a thing come into play. At this juncture, I'm inclined to think that there isn't a manual override.

I also don't see much evidence of old-fashioned firearms being carried by these law enforcement officers. I mean, I don't get the impression that you can just switch to an old basic handgun if the Dominator refuses to let you fire it at someone.

My impression is that catching criminals is left up to Inspectors and Enforcers. They can determine the best means by which to catch a criminal, and they have some real flexibility here. But what happens to said criminal if s/he's caught is largely determined by Sibyl. If the Dominator is given lethal shot, then the strong implication is that this perp should be killed, period.
Old 2012-11-09, 10:35   Link #30
ArturEngel
Kiririn's minion

It's useless trying to catch a criminal on drugs. We have seen this already.
Old 2012-11-09, 10:39   Link #31
Qilin
Romanticist

I'm starting to fall in love with this show's setting since I can't help but compare it to Serial Experiments Lain.

Spoiler for comparison:

Of course, I sure that this show won't dwell on such meandering questions. This dilemma is nothing more than an inevitable consequence of the rapid advances in social networking and in information technology today. I just happen to enjoy how this show manages to portray it.
Old 2012-11-09, 11:12   Link #32
Arise

Quite a fast-paced and straightforward episode with a bit of information.

Animation quality dropped noticeably btw.
Old 2012-11-09, 11:28   Link #33
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturEngel View Post
It's useless trying to catch a criminal on drugs. We have seen this already.
At best, we've seen it's useless to use stunners. They should bring other weapons, and failing that, there's the old fashioned fisticuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
I dont think interrogating Mido would give much to the team other that increasing Kogami CC even more if he find out Shogo is behind all this.
Which would be worthwhile in itself. They're up against organized crime, and I'm not sure they even know it.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:17   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think the thing is that Ginoza, Akane, and their team aren't exactly like police officers as we think of them. Yes, there's a lot of overlap there (especially in style and aesthetics), but I think that the role that Ginoza et al fulfill is fundamentally different than that of a city police force.

On another thread, TinyRedLeaf noted how the Criminal Investigation Department's logo is adapted from the North American symbol for the medical profession. Like TRL, I don't think that's a coincidence.

With that in mind, I'll tell you what I think "the police" of Psycho-Pass actually are. To get to that, though, I'll need to go top-down.

Let's suppose that we think of human society as a single organism; that the totality of human society is like one human organism, and each individual person is like merely one cell in the human society's "body".

The Sibyl System is the brain of this Human Society organism. It's goal is to keep the organism as healthy and productive as possible.

People with high crime coefficients are like parts of the body that have become infected with a disease, and the disease threatens to spread to other parts of the body. You could think of it as cancer, perhaps.

"The police" are like white blood cells that are there to defend "the Human Society body" against diseases. And that's how Ginoza et al function. They look for abnormalities in "the body", and/or they're alerted to them, and then they head out to neutralize these abnormalities. If the "diseased cell" (i.e. the human being with a high crime coefficient) can be brought back by therapy, then great, we "freeze and heal" the "diseased cell" (i.e. use Paralyzing shot and take into custody). If the "diseased cell" is deemed to be beyond healing, then we amputate it, cut it out, eliminate it entirely. This is done with a certain cool precision - Note how nobody (not even Akane) showed much discomfort over the thought of killing a man with the Dominator. To be fair, this episode's perp arguably did deserve to die - If convicted of his crimes in many modern US states, he'd almost certainly get the death penalty. Nonetheless, the fact that nobody really questions (even from a purely pragmatic perspective) the Dominator setting itself to kill this episode's perp is pretty telling, imo.

And I think the reason is how the Sibyl system is set-up, which ironically creates a bit of a blind spot in it, which our likely main antagonist is using very effectively (by essentially sacrificing pawns to the Sibyl system to ensure his own continued evasion).

In the real world, the police are (or at least are supposed to be) concerned with things like "deterrence", "rehabilitation", and "human/legal rights". But maybe that's not how the Sibyl System works. It takes the notion of Collectivism to a certain extreme, where human society itself is viewed as an organism. And criminals are simply deceased parts of "the body" that need to be neutralized. Deterring other "cells" from becoming criminals isn't even a consideration; rehabilitation is only a consideration insofar as "therapy" is considered likely to work. And human/legal rights seem to go out the door once you hit a certain Crime Coefficient.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:18   Link #35
garbage

thoughts :
> well we got a SiBYL commentary, from the MC herself! indirectly of course ,since she was talking about the internet, avatars, etc,

Akane : " ...it's like, it's there so we accept it and use it"

> Akane's just a teenager!

> geh, more shoddy police procedures, wouldn't one check first if there are any accomplices?>.< but no, they are just so trigger happy to splat everyone away, including vital info...

> good catch by Kogami ! using word preference/usage, pretty sharp there... wonder where that went for the third point above..

more later...
Old 2012-11-09, 12:31   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think the thing is that Ginoza, Akane, and their team aren't exactly like police officers as we think of them. Yes, there's a lot of overlap there (especially in style and aesthetics), but I think that the role that Ginoza et al fulfill is fundamentally different than that of a city police force.

On another thread, TinyRedLeaf noted how the Criminal Investigation Department's logo is adapted from the North American symbol for the medical profession. Like TRL, I don't think that's a coincidence.

With that in mind, I'll tell you what I think "the police" of Psycho-Pass actually are. To get to that, though, I'll need to go top-down.

Let's suppose that we think of human society as a single organism; that the totality of human society is like one human organism, and each individual person is like merely one cell in the human society's "body".

The Sibyl System is the brain of this Human Society organism. It's goal is to keep the organism as healthy and productive as possible.

People with high crime coefficients are like parts of the body that have become infected with a disease, and the disease threatens to spread to other parts of the body. You could think of it as cancer, perhaps.

"The police" are like white blood cells that are there to defend "the Human Society body" against diseases. And that's how Ginoza et al function. They look for abnormalities in "the body", and/or they're alerted to them, and then they head out to neutralize these abnormalities. If the "diseased cell" (i.e. the human being with a high crime coefficient) can be brought back by therapy, then great, we "freeze and heal" the "diseased cell" (i.e. use Paralyzing shot and take into custody). If the "diseased cell" is deemed to be beyond healing, then we amputate it, cut it out, eliminate it entirely. This is done with a certain cool precision - Note how nobody (not even Akane) showed much discomfort over the thought of killing a man with the Dominator. To be fair, this episode's perp arguably did deserve to die - If convicted of his crimes in many modern US states, he'd almost certainly get the death penalty. Nonetheless, the fact that nobody really questions (even from a purely pragmatic perspective) the Dominator setting itself to kill this episode's perp is pretty telling, imo.

And I think the reason is how the Sibyl system is set-up, which ironically creates a bit of a blind spot in it, which our likely main antagonist is using very effectively (by essentially sacrificing pawns to the Sibyl system to ensure his own continued evasion).

In the real world, the police are (or at least are supposed to be) concerned with things like "deterrence", "rehabilitation", and "human/legal rights". But maybe that's not how the Sibyl System works. It takes the notion of Collectivism to a certain extreme, where human society itself is viewed as an organism. And criminals are simply deceased parts of "the body" that need to be neutralized. Deterring other "cells" from becoming criminals isn't even a consideration; rehabilitation is only a consideration insofar as "therapy" is considered likely to work. And human/legal rights seem to go out the door once you hit a certain Crime Coefficient.
None of that changes the practical aspects of the job. They're here to catch criminals. Their methods are adequate against lone nuts, but they aren't equipped to deal with organizations.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:46   Link #37
ArturEngel
Kiririn's minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
None of that changes the practical aspects of the job. They're here to catch criminals. Their methods are adequate against lone nuts, but they aren't equipped to deal with organizations.
Just think of it as an unique case. Maybe they are not that much organisations to deal with as in real life. And if that system works so good, i don't mind to be blown off by the dominator if i someday become an animal like Mido.
Old 2012-11-09, 13:06   Link #38
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Interesting analogy, some of my thoughts on that

Mido/spookieboogie refered to them asa"keisatsu (警察)" or police none of them thought it wrong nor strange. So even they think themselves as "police". Though at first I thought
Kouankyoku[公安局]/MWPSB was just a special police faction, but so far we haven't really seen any other law enforcement group anywhere. So I think MWPSB have largely co-opted the full police responsibilities in their world ( or is it just their city,country? , so far no info on this front). After all with SiBYL being pretty much the LAW, ORDER and even culture of their society, agents of SiBYL would pretty much be the Police.

Investigative procedures does not belong nor is the sole province of the police, I think anyone with even the slightest will or even curiosity should have followed up.

Even the human body has "deterrence" & "rehabilitation", (but cant really say for individual cells "human rights" or is it "cell rights"^^ ahaha). for deterence example the skin is a deterence from infection, even sweating, even the natural acidity of the stomach. Healthy bodies produce lots of anti-radicals to prevent cancerous growth. Optein in the eyes prevent growths. Even individual cells have ways to protect itself from outside attacks or inside malfunctions, and only when it is no longer salvageable would it be destroyed. i'm pretty sure there are tons more just can't recall. Pretty much I think the human body is a far far better organized/run system than Sibyl/psychopass.

Last edited by garbage; 2012-11-09 at 13:33.
Old 2012-11-09, 13:15   Link #39
HandofFate

I wonder if we get some more development on the old man enforcer soon. He seems like he might be in the same shoes as Kogami.

Also that black haired female who is probably intimate with the computer skills lady.
Old 2012-11-09, 13:19   Link #40
garbage

^ I think Masaoka would get his own "arc" or episode soon explaining his background and stuff and why he's so good ^^ [he might even be a relative of Ginoza just spec.ing ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
In other news, we learned that Akane is only 20 years old (I don't think we knew her age before now). I knew she was young, but not that young. I'm amazed she's managed to become an inspector at such a young age.
Kogami used " hatachi ni natte kara..." > when you become 20(+). So it would imply that Akane haven't reached that age (20) yet, basically she's still a teenager.
Closed Thread