AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-03-04, 17:53   Link #1
Haiprbim
Banned

Linux General Discussion Thread

Hello and welcome to the Linux General Discussion Thread.

As not many AnimeSuki members use Linux as their operating system/software, this thread is made to discuss and solve any possible issues regarding the Linux-Anime intersect they may have.

I would personally like to ask anyone who has knowledge with Linux, whether he/she owns it or not, to keep an eye on this thread and help the fellow community members out if they are in need of it.

Please, keep it clean and keep on the topic.
That doesn't mean you can't talk about the news about Linux, that is actually wanted, but please, don't turn this into a chat-box.
All AnimeSuki Forum rules apply.

Tux,
The Mascot of Linux

In all his glory

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-11 at 12:51.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 22:17   Link #2
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Before you get started, have tried searching this sub-forum for any threads related to Linux?
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 23:51   Link #3
Kudryavka

What are some pros of Linux over Windows and OSX?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 00:05   Link #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
-It's free.
-Many malwares that target Windows, and maybe even OS X, do not work on it.
-It supports more traditional PC hardware than OS X, and maybe even Windows.
-There are more varieties of Linux-based OS and they are more customizable. (Although this can also be a con in terms of perceived complexity.)

Other than that, it depends on the type of software/hardware you use.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 00:32   Link #5
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
-It's free.
-Many malwares that target Windows, and maybe even OS X, do not work on it.
-It supports more traditional PC hardware than OS X, and maybe even Windows.
-There are more varieties of Linux-based OS and they are more customizable. (Although this can also be a con in terms of perceived complexity.)

Other than that, it depends on the type of software/hardware you use.
Thanks. I think about using Linux, especially if it's customizable.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 00:56   Link #6
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Before you get started, have tried searching this sub-forum for any threads related to Linux?
I have, there were no hits under search for "Linux", other than this thread that I have created after checking that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I don't want to brag, but unlike Windows and Mac that were created by companies, Linux was and is being upgraded by many, many programmers around the world, due to it beeing accessible in Open Source. It is the best for security, programming, and so on. The only thing that isn't a strong point of Linux over Windows or Mac is the usage of it around the world. While Windows and Mac are being advertised around, Linux isn't. Well, that's natural, since Microsoft and Apple get money from selling each person the Software, while Linux is totally free.
Because of that, many people use Mac or Windows and for that, game companies for example only create games for the two, because they already fill in around 95% of the want-to-buy people.
Also, many people out there do not have much knowledge about computers and think that Hardware is the same as Software, so they buy a computer with a Software (usually Windows) already input in it. It costs less that way as well, less than buying them separately, but more than Installing Linux instead.

In short, I strongly suggest the use of Linux.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-05-02 at 09:56.
Old 2013-03-05, 01:09   Link #7
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tr View Post
I have, there were no hits under search for "Linux", other than this thread that I have created after checking that out.
Ubuntu Linux
a program to retrieve data from linux formatted drive
Japanese text input on Linux
Linux (News Discussion Thread)

and many more...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 01:14   Link #8
Haiprbim
Banned

None of those really focus on what this thread does.
Looking at the first link you gave for example, I use Fedora, not Ubuntu, so it doesn't cover really the part.
I see what you mean though, I'll check around a bit.
Old 2013-03-05, 04:14   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I would ditch Windows and just use Linux Mint for all my PCs if games worked on Linux without a lot of annoying fuckery.
Old 2013-03-05, 10:38   Link #10
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I would ditch Windows and just use Linux Mint for all my PCs if games worked on Linux without a lot of annoying fuckery.
Exactly. I hate the kind of companies that make games available only for Windows as a platform or maybe even Mac. That truly shows that they only want to fill the biggest part and are only aiming for profit. They are not so fair to bother a bit to make the game accessible and playable on other platforms as well, such as Linux.
That kind of games are usually the CD-Download type. MMORPGs usually have Linux covered, as well as other Internet Downloadable games.
Old 2013-03-05, 16:12   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I don't know of any major MMOs that support Linux. The only one I know that even supports OSX is Warcraft.
Old 2013-03-05, 17:46   Link #12
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I don't know of any major MMOs that support Linux. The only one I know that even supports OSX is Warcraft.
I was focusing on Internet MMOs, not CD-Download MMOs, as I have said.
Examples are RuneScape or League of Legends.

Yes, it is quite a rare case to see a CD-Download game to be able to run on Linux as a platform.
Then again, there is not much we can do to change the fairness that companies play.
Old 2013-03-05, 23:29   Link #13
monster

Quote:
Exactly. I hate the kind of companies that make games available only for Windows as a platform or maybe even Mac. That truly shows that they only want to fill the biggest part and are only aiming for profit. They are not so fair to bother a bit to make the game accessible and playable on other platforms as well, such as Linux.
That kind of games are usually the CD-Download type.
It's not about being unfair. It takes work to make a software available on multiple problems and maintain them.

The same thing is happening in the mobile space where iOS/Android and Webkit are dominant in the OS and web rendering engine categories, respectively.
Old 2013-03-06, 01:01   Link #14
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
It's not about being unfair. It takes work to make a software available on multiple problems and maintain them.

The same thing is happening in the mobile space where iOS/Android and Webkit are dominant in the OS and web rendering engine categories, respectively.
I can easily tell you that it is about being fair.
Once the game is completed, it would of course take more work and effort in order to make it available on more than just one or two platforms, and that is something that the companies are well aware of, so they don't do it. The profit from the most used Software users is already satisfying.

It depends on how the game was written and its size a bit, but I can tell you that making the game possible to run on other platforms is way not as much work as creating a good game itself. Now, looking at how big the game companies are nowadays, I think I could safely say that it is Fairness we are talking about here. I know two games for example that are worldwide known, CD-Downloadable, and run on almost all platforms. That is only because the two companies releasing them truly showed that they care about the spreading, not only profit.
I can also tell you that they got really positive feedback from the users regarding that.

Keeping things short, game companies are big nowadays, it would only take fairness, for them to show that they care to make the games playable on multiple platforms. However, it is all about the profit nowadays, that's why we Usually don't get this.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:15   Link #15
monster

Quote:
Keeping things short, game companies are big nowadays, it would only take fairness, for them to show that they care to make the games playable on multiple platforms. However, it is all about the profit nowadays, that's why we Usually don't get this.
No matter the size of the company, it still takes some work. If a company doesn't think a Linux release is worth the effort/time/resource, it just won't do it. Fairness has nothing to do with it in most cases.
Old 2013-03-06, 03:01   Link #16
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I think that with the strive to improve gaming on hardware and with new software to run it specially if it is a pc-exclusive that it would be even more work to adjust it to Linux. I always felt Linux sort of stayed behind in development compared to other platforms. I don't even know if it can run the latest directX properly. Personally putting the blame on gaming companies is easy but the OS itself requires a lot of work from their side as well. Hence why I never discuss things with Linux users in general, they constantly point the finger at others.. Don't get me wrong Linux has good points but sometimes the community is just as hard as a shell.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 04:56   Link #17
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I don't even know if it can run the latest directX properly.
DirectX is a Microsoft technology. The alternative would probably be OpenGL, which is available for Windows and other operating systems, including those based on Linux.
Old 2013-03-06, 07:25   Link #18
spikexp

First, like monster said, directx is a proprietary Microsoft technology.
Linux won't ever run directx natively, never.

What people don't understand about developing a game for Linux is that it isn't hard, it's not limiting. A game that work under Linux natively will work almost instantly under Windows. And if you develop with opengl, it will work on almost any device with a decent operating system.

Developing for Linux is a chore if you develop with Microsoft proprietary technology in the first place.

And for the whole "I always felt Linux sort of stayed behind in development compared to other platforms". Linux is far ahead of windows in development, security, lightness, solidity and many other area. The only thing that currently limit the gaming on linux are the game themself. The driver might not be "windows" performing, but they aren't far from there, just look at valve source game that perform really well on linux.

My point, that linux is lacking is a userbase, not that it need more to be better, just that it need more to catch the eye of big developer.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 08:22   Link #19
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I think that with the strive to improve gaming on hardware and with new software to run it specially if it is a pc-exclusive that it would be even more work to adjust it to Linux. I always felt Linux sort of stayed behind in development compared to other platforms. I don't even know if it can run the latest directX properly. Personally putting the blame on gaming companies is easy but the OS itself requires a lot of work from their side as well. Hence why I never discuss things with Linux users in general, they constantly point the finger at others.. Don't get me wrong Linux has good points but sometimes the community is just as hard as a shell.
Linux is not behind, it is far from that, you could even say in front.
As for the DirectX, Linux uses OpenGL, which can be even better with a good booster. It depends on your Hardware from there on.

Quote:
No matter the size of the company, it still takes some work. If a company doesn't think a Linux release is worth the effort/time/resource, it just won't do it. Fairness has nothing to do with it in most cases.
We are actually arguing around the word "Fair", but we mean the same. Maybe I should have used one other word there.
Anyhow, the companies think that overall, the product sold would not profit the time, effort and money they put in, just to make the game run on Linux. You're right, the word that would fit better is that a company has to be "generous" enough to make a MMO run on other platforms. However, I think that it would pay off, but as I said before, there really isn't much we can do. Because is the end, "Money makes the world go around", not generosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
My point, that linux is lacking is a userbase, not that it need more to be better, just that it need more to catch the eye of big developer.
I do not get the part where you said "Catch the eye of by big developer".
Just to keep things clear, you do know that any kind of attempt to sell something that has already been added to the Linux OpenSource, even if you changed it a bit, is illegal, right?
Just saying because your post isn't really clear to me.

Also, there are not many users worldwide that use Linux because unlike Windows and Mac, it is not advertised massively. That is because it's main focus is not selling and profiting, unlike Microsoft's Windows and Apple's Mac, but letting people use an awesome Software for free.

Now, here comes the question. If Linux is so great and free, why does such a low percentage of people use it? Again, because they know almost nothing. They know what an Internet is, but if you ask for their connection speed, they freeze. It would be that much harder for them to find out about Linux if they wouldn't be interested and wouldn't have that aim and excitement or be introduced to it.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-03-06 at 21:14. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double/triple posting.
Old 2013-03-06, 10:53   Link #20
spikexp

Quote:
I do not get the part where you said "Catch the eye of by big developer".
The userbase is big enough, forum and IRC are full of good people if there is anything to do.
What is lacking is a market for paid software (games). Need more people to go on Linux and ask for mainstream game.
Steam statistic show that linux is closing the gap with osx.
All the humble indie bundle show that linux user pay more, that's a way to prove there is a market for low cost game.

Then, if there is a market, they will look into technologies, they will find opengl, they will understand that they can easily make multiplatform game (console included) and then they will make game for Linux and they will get more sell.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux