AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-06, 20:03   Link #61
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I'm never too old to watch anime. Till' the day I die from here on and throughout the afterlife, I am stuck watching anime.

Sure, I have lots of study to do. I have calculus, programming, and the like. In one of my advanced research classes, I love to torture the other student by telling him how much I like anime and video games.

I tell him randomly:
"After my studies I like to play VIDEO GAMES! and watch ANIME with my sister when it's done DOWNLOADING! and guess what? I like to drink MOUNTAIN DEW!"

At every capitalized word he cringes (while i'm emphasizing the words in my quote by speech) as he reads books all the time and cannot see why we all play video games and watch anime

It's like this... Ever seen that apple jacks commercial? Why do you like apple jacks if they don't taste like apples? The answer is the same: "We just do." (Though the real answer was 'we eat what we like' but a DVD or torrent download might be a tad too difficult to digest).

Anime is to general of a subject to really die. It's like saying "will the internet die, will video games die?". You'll just get higher and higher developed anime. We will inevitably see a change of anime as we do in video games or the internet.

Last edited by WolfCoder; 2006-09-06 at 20:21.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:18   Link #62
Nergol

I dunno. I'm 33 and I'm not giving it up. Look, most people may think it's weird or childish, but most people think that CSI: Fort Wayne is heavy drama and spend hours reading about where Brangelina are (is?) going on vacation. Most people think it's a perfectly mature thing to do to sit in front of the boob tube watching ill-educated, musclebound dolts get paid millions of dollars to play a child's game. At least my interest caused me to study four years of a foreign language and live in a foreign country for a year. What did watching a dope in spandex and a crash helmet smack into similarly-dressed dopes ever cause people to do, other than drink beer and ignore their wives' romantic advances?

Most people have dogpoop for brains. Who cares what they think?
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 02:40   Link #63
iseng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?

i cannot think of any anime show that is targeted to audiences over 60. is there an anime show like the golden girls that i have missed out on?
Anime is just another form/medium.

How old is too to old to listen to radio? How old is too old to go to cinema? How old is too old to watch tv?

Personally I watch what I like. Don't really care about what age group the show targeted. I like Mononoke Hime but I like Pokemon too. Does it mean I'm childish? I first watched the Golden Girls when I was around 12 and liked it. Does it now mean I grew too fast?
iseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 03:38   Link #64
shinn_asagiri
HEY MAN!!!

probably ill stop when im 35, but only god knows when ill stop

for some reason, i watch anime more compared to various TV Shows
shinn_asagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 06:28   Link #65
Red Herring
SPARTANS

I agree with what some other dude is said. Some people think its normal to watch football all day(rather than actually play it) or watch prime time television which is all mainly a bunch of stupid inane bullshit. I mean come on...people who knock anime are probably watching "Are you Smarter than a Five Year Old" or whatever. Then they go watch crappy movies(I'm a big movie buff but most popular movies are crap, not trying to be a rebel here just telling it like I see it). The reason I can see for anyone hating on something just because its animated and thinking your a dork or immature for liking animation is that they were raised by baboons...
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 07:27   Link #66
shiro83

I can't imagine myself not watching anime.
Maybe I will never stop.

It is just a genre of entertainment. Some play games, some read books, some watch TV. No age limit is imposed.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 07:30   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm amused to see this thread resuscitated today. When I posted in the "how old are you really" thread, some of you suggested I do a little proselytizing among my friends in their 50's who couldn't really understand why I watched anime. So last night, after watching my UNC boys get eliminated from the NCAA tourney, I told them that I had been tasked with showing them an anime, brought out my trusty Cowon A2, plugged it into their TV, and forced them to watch episode 2 of Bartender.

The verdict? They thought it was interesting and certainly wasn't like any animation they'd seen before. Unfortunately Bartender is a very script-heavy show, so the subs tend to fly across the screen. In addition, Lunar's use of white text often makes the subs difficult to read; yellow subs were suggested by one viewer. Another of my friends said he stopped reading the subs so he could concentrate more on the animation. Despite these concerns, they said they could imagine rewatching this episode to see what they'd missed and would watch more of the series if I made it available.

Now I doubt they'd have reacted as positively if I had shown them Haruhi or some other high-school drama. Also the fact that Bartender is episodic rather than a continuing story makes watching one episode much easier. If I had been in the same position a few years ago, I don't what I would have been able to show them that would have had the same adult appeal other than Mononoke Hime or some other Ghibli film.

The thread starter mentioned the absence of shows that include older people in the cast. Perhaps shows like Bartender and Hataraki Man represent the leading-edge of a trend toward making shows aimed at older audiences. Without programming like this, though, I don't think anime will have much impact among older American audiences. As others have said in this thread, it's not something that was a part of our lives like it is for some young people today. I would never have become interested in anime if I wasn't raising a teen-aged daughter. As to what might make me stop watching anime, it depends on what's being produced. So far this spring I've yet to see any series that captured my attention the way Bartender, Hataraki Man, and Saiunkoku Monogatari did in the fall. It seems the current trend is more loli and more mecha. If that's the future, I might stop watching not because I think it's socially unacceptable to watch anime at such an "advanced" age, but because there just won't be much to hold my attention.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 09:02   Link #68
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

I'll probably stop watching anime when I'm around 30, not because it's socially unacceptable, but because by then I would probably have less free time and put other intersts ahead of anime.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 09:15   Link #69
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

There is nothing such as Too Old to watch Anime . The Anime experience caters to all ages and audience with different genres. When I am in my 20s I may switch from Shonen to more serious genres Arggh who am I kidding : D Probably still be watching shonen even then
Old 2007-03-26, 18:26   Link #70
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Hey! I'm 45, and I like watching this stuff! It's better than most of the stuff that's on TV now, anyway. I don't think there IS an upper age limit to watching anime. Rather, I think the upper age limit is for whether one discovers it or not...

I can't stand dubbed anime though. It sets my teeth on edge. This may be because I'm an old fogey...
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 19:21   Link #71
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

When I'm 85 years old (and still alive), you'll still see me watching anime, playing video games, shooting other players in online FPS game while yelling some obscenity about their mother while putting lead in their skulls, and wasting precious time of life in online RPGs.

Only diffrence would be I probably wouldn't be playing any eroge, since I'm sure I'll have nothing left by then.
Old 2007-03-26, 20:35   Link #72
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
No one is too old to enjoy anime. Heck even if i was 90 years old, i'd still be watching Haruhi!
Old 2007-03-27, 00:19   Link #73
wontaek

I don't see any reason why I should give up anime and manhwa/manga.
Old 2007-03-27, 08:23   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm amused to see this thread resuscitated today. When I posted in the "how old are you really" thread, some of you suggested I do a little proselytizing among my friends in their 50's who couldn't really understand why I watched anime. ...
I've gotten a few non-anime "mundane" types my age hooked on things like Azumanga Daioh, Kamichu!, or Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. Actually, REC was quite a hit (forgot about that).
My "tech" friends who are my age are easier to drop into more "advanced material" like Paniponi Dash or SHnY since they've been raised on Monty Python, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, D&D, etc.

So far, few or none in my age group I know care for the "loud noisy boisterous" anime (i.e. typically action-centered shounen) which is okay since I'm not a fan either. Most seem to prefer character-driven drama, adventure, mystery, romance, or romantic comedies....

There's more of us "45-60ish" types here on the forums than I expected when I first registered. I discovered a mom in my japanese language class who was into it with her teenage daughter, and of course, my wife, sons, and their girlfriends all watch certain types of anime...

Moral: anyone who says they're "too old" for anime is too old for life
(variation on "too old to play games", "too old to have fun..." ... meh)

I do worry about getting tired of anime because of the "recycle" effect though. For most of my life, I would read science fiction sometimes a book a day til about 10 years ago. Now I'm lucky if I can find a new book a year I want to read, simply because I've seen so many variations of storylines, plots, and premises that I'm often saying "oh, this is pretty much like X and Y blended together." I suspect I'll get pickier about what I decide to watch.
Old 2007-03-27, 15:42   Link #75
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

At least there's more original content in some anime I've watched, than in Science Fiction/Fantasy, nowadays. "Bartender" was refreshingly original for any media I've watched, anywhere.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 18:17   Link #76
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yep as long as you enjoy doing something then why stop? letting peer pressure get to you is not a good way to live so i also say that you are never too old for anime as long as the spark is still there (and i keep telling my mum that ill always be a child at heart even when i am grown up, old and gray ~ and a good thing is that she also enjoys anime...but work gets in the way too much) ~ but i guess soon when i go uni there is going to be a period when i wont have time to enjoy as much anime as now...and even less when i start working full time...so i better savor every second...(but surely im going to pick up the hobby again full time when i retire )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 19:58   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

About the only science fiction I can read anymore is "hard science" fiction... something that takes the latest theories or interpretations of quantum mechanics or astrophysics and builds a story around some aspect of it.
Even then it needs to have some decent character development (I point to Hogan's "Thrice Apon a Time" as an example of how a very simple idea can build a pretty interesting story).
Old 2007-03-27, 20:26   Link #78
xcetara
Banned

i dont think that anime has an age...i mean if the people who can create it are older than most of the people who watch it, there isnt much of an issue

now your're too old for this if you visit this site a lot

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...p?u=Vote4Nixon
xcetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 01:08   Link #79
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I do worry about getting tired of anime because of the "recycle" effect though. For most of my life, I would read science fiction sometimes a book a day til about 10 years ago. Now I'm lucky if I can find a new book a year I want to read, simply because I've seen so many variations of storylines, plots, and premises that I'm often saying "oh, this is pretty much like X and Y blended together." I suspect I'll get pickier about what I decide to watch.
I think that has less to do with age, than with just having seen too much -- like you said about sci-fi novels.

And you're never too old (or young) to realize, "hey -- haven't I seen this show already, except that girl has red hair instead of purple?"
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 12:17   Link #80
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

Never. There's no age limit to watching anime and if people think there is an age to stop, shame on you. Shame on you! Anime has brought happiness to my life and I will be a anime animator soon and I will try my luck at making anime and mangas for everyone till my last breath.
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote