Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-09, 01:56   Link #741
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
The ep 8.5 special came out a little while ago, which is also quite nice....

Especially liked the scene where Kouki's mom shows "extra attention" to Rin and Daikuchi shows the same to Kouki - very touching, somehow.
Awesome extra, though of course they all are. Kouki and Yukari really add something to the mix - these sorts of scenes are really Usagi Drop at its best.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 06:27   Link #742
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks a ton for bumping the thread. I might have missed this wonderful special otherwise.

The scenes featuring the whole "family" together are truly the best.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:07   Link #743
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Thanks a ton for bumping the thread. I might have missed this wonderful special otherwise.

The scenes featuring the whole "family" together are truly the best.
No problem. And I agree about the "family" together are very good scenes - I have a feeling that this will be an even greater "whole package" when you gather the eps and the specials all in a group and watch them through in a row, in their "official order", as it were. Iirc this is the last of the specials....
Old 2012-03-30, 16:42   Link #744
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Okay - steamrolled the entire Usagi Drop series from beginning to end, including all the specials, and I must say that even after all these months the impression created is still as strong and of wonderfully high quality and content while being delightfully subdued. The specials really have their "place" in context of the overall narrative, and help this wonderful show to "shine" a little brighter.

Well worth a re-watch!
Old 2012-03-30, 17:24   Link #745
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Okay - steamrolled the entire Usagi Drop series from beginning to end, including all the specials, and I must say that even after all these months the impression created is still as strong and of wonderfully high quality and content while being delightfully subdued. The specials really have their "place" in context of the overall narrative, and help this wonderful show to "shine" a little brighter.

Well worth a re-watch!
Ack, I'm evil - I haven't watched the specials yet.... argh.
Old 2012-03-30, 17:25   Link #746
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ack, I'm evil - I haven't watched the specials yet.... argh.

*faints*

If interested Doki has a batch release of everything.
Old 2012-03-30, 19:04   Link #747
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I did just read the manga translation of volume 5 (Yen Press) .... I rather liked it, though I admit if I had not been braced for the time jump I would have been dumbfounded. The author really should have done something at the end of volume 4 to prepare the readers. But, since I was prepared - I thought the story was well-played.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-30 at 20:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:05   Link #748
LKK

NIS America announced that it's licensed Usagi Drop for US Blu-ray/DVD combo release in August. [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 13:37   Link #749
Kirarakim

I seriously love NISA best company releasing anime in the US by far (at least at the moment).
Old 2012-05-05, 11:06   Link #750
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I did just read the manga translation of volume 5 (Yen Press) .... I rather liked it, though I admit if I had not been braced for the time jump I would have been dumbfounded. The author really should have done something at the end of volume 4 to prepare the readers. But, since I was prepared - I thought the story was well-played.
I've been waiting for that volume for some time, half fearing that Yen Press may have dropped the series thinking that the latter half wouldn't sell since it wasn't adapted into anime. Thankfully, I finally got hold of a copy today.

I agree that, if I hadn't already known, the time skip would have surprised me tremendously. The story has changed in other ways too, in that Daikichi isn't the only "perspective" character any more. Even so, I like how everything is developing. Rin, as usual, is "old" beyond her years, encapsulating in a single page all my ambivalence towards relationships:

Spoiler:

Well said, Rin, well said. ♥
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 16:33   Link #751
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Win a signed Usagi Drop script:

Amazingly, Ayu-chan's signature is as kawaii as her voice. And it's in Romaji!
Old 2012-05-12, 06:04   Link #752
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Definitely, nowhere near maybe, one of the better AMVs I've seen this year.

Old 2012-05-12, 22:00   Link #753
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Definitely, nowhere near maybe, one of the better AMVs I've seen this year.

Oh great, now I HAVE to watch the movie that this is talking about. Someone in Hollywood owes you a royalty check for this...
Old 2012-05-12, 22:12   Link #754
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Oh great, now I HAVE to watch the movie that this is talking about. Someone in Hollywood owes you a royalty check for this...
Makes it kind of a shame that Abigail Breslin is 16 now, doesn't it? Her voice is (was?) a perfect fit for Rin.
Old 2012-07-01, 15:30   Link #755
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I've been waiting for that volume for some time, half fearing that Yen Press may have dropped the series thinking that the latter half wouldn't sell since it wasn't adapted into anime. Thankfully, I finally got hold of a copy today.
Quote:
Both of you... Do yourself a favour and STOP READING IT RIGHT HERE. Seriously.
Just bask in the pleasure of having seen the anime, and never, ever, try to read the manga any farther. Just trust me.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 16:33   Link #756
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I say read it and make up your own mind. Don't take the ostrich approach.
Old 2012-07-01, 17:36   Link #757
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Both of you... Do yourself a favour and STOP READING IT RIGHT HERE. Seriously.
Just bask in the pleasure of having seen the anime, and never, ever, try to read the manga any farther. Just trust me.
No, I don't trust you and in fact I'm vaguely aware of the ending. Unlike you, I don't expect an entire story to stay in "happy land". The first half of this story (in manga and anime) is indeed very endearing. The second half tells a distinctly different tale that is grounded in the notion that characters grow and evolve - that life isn't static and it explains why our heroine made specific choices early in her life. I've read quite a bit of asian literature and it rarely takes a Western-style fairy tale ending approach.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:15   Link #758
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I say read it and make up your own mind. Don't take the ostrich approach.
Meh, sparing oneself one of the most /facepalming idiocy ever created is less about taking the ostrich approach and more about keeping the good memory of a great show rather than completely ruins it.
Quote:
No, I don't trust you and in fact I'm vaguely aware of the ending. Unlike you, I don't expect an entire story to stay in "happy land". The first half of this story (in manga and anime) is indeed very endearing. The second half tells a distinctly different tale that is grounded in the notion that characters grow and evolve - that life isn't static and it explains why our heroine made specific choices early in her life. I've read quite a bit of asian literature and it rarely takes a Western-style fairy tale ending approach.
Way to spontaneously jump to (false) conclusions...
What makes you think that I consider the ending to be a disgrace because of some kind of "it's not a bland happy end !!!" reason ? Just so you could seize the pretext to act cool and superior ?

Well, you've been warned. Do what you want, you will only have yourself to blame later (and if you actually like it... well, you will only have yourself to blame even more).
Old 2012-07-02, 12:38   Link #759
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Way to spontaneously jump to (false) conclusions...
What makes you think that I consider the ending to be a disgrace because of some kind of "it's not a bland happy end !!!" reason ? Just so you could seize the pretext to act cool and superior ?

Well, you've been warned. Do what you want, you will only have yourself to blame later (and if you actually like it... well, you will only have yourself to blame even more).
I'm sorry but you're not making any sense whatsoever... you provided insufficient information for any other conclusion. You didn't say whether it was the writing that bothered you or how the various story threads were resolved or... and virtually everyone who doesn't like the latter half has pretty much the same complaints.

So, you may have liked the ending but I'm not supposed to read on for my own good? You didn't like the ending and I'm not supposed to form my own judgement? I'm "cool and superior" because I don't trust your judgement since you provide no basis for me to trust your judgement?

... and please stop confusing your opinion as "fact" You have an opinion about the story, that's fine, there's a wide range of opinions on Usagi Drop.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-07-02 at 13:16.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 13:44   Link #760
Akka

Quote:
I'm sorry but you're not making any sense whatsoever... you provided insufficient information for any other conclusion. You didn't say whether it was the writing that bothered you or how the various story threads were resolved or... and virtually everyone who doesn't like the latter half has pretty much the same complaints.

So, you may have liked the ending but I'm not supposed to read on for my own good? You didn't like the ending and I'm not supposed to form my own judgement? I'm "cool and superior" because I don't trust your judgement since you provide no basis for me to trust your judgement?
Actually, the only thing I said is "don't read it". I didn't say why (and that was the point, because the less said about it the better in my opinion, knowing the details would just kill the point of not reading it, and explaining too much would push people to read it out of curiosity).
If I don't give any information about why I hate it, I don't really see how you can conclude that I dislike it "because X".

You're the one making no sense :
"Don't read it, it's crap !"
"Hey, unlike you I'm able to enjoy works that aren't childish fantasy land ! I am mature enough to appreciate them and hence don't need some predictable happy ending !"
"Err... Where did I say that I considered it crap because of supposed lack of happy ending ?"
"Oh well, it was the only logical deduction !"

Though if that is your idea of logic, maybe you'll actually like the ending, after all.

Anyway, I'm giving you the advice of not reading the ending because there is a very strong chance that it will ruins the whole story for you. Now if you are so eager to just jump on any occasion to transform it into some kind of chest-banging contest, I'll just shrug and give up. My intent was simply to attempt to shield people from extreme disappointment, not to one-up anyone.
Quote:
... and please stop confusing your opinion as "fact" You have an opinion about the story, that's fine, there's a wide range of opinions on Usagi Drop.
Well, there is a wide range of opinions on about everything, even on subjects which are beyond proven. There is still people arguing seriously that the Earth is 6000 years old after all

Everything can be rationalized away if someone is intent enough to do it. Some pointless details can be blown out of proportion to be claimed as "evidence" while much more numerous and strongly-standing pillars of the story can be ignored, if someone wants it.

But the last part of the Usagi Drop manga is just so full of contradiction with the premisses, and in such complete disconnect with the whole rest of the work, that I don't really see how to call it anything other than "fact", save for the persons that will try to dissect it to find reasons to fuel some kind of rationalization as said above.

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance