Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 01:15   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Olympics 2008, Beijing

For me, personally I love watching the Olympics, but I don't watch every event, just the ones I like, like the 100 meter dash ^^, the gymnastics, the swimming... most everything

188 days to go till the event starts. Start counting down the days, I know I am ^^

Well... first of all, is anyone going?

Official site - http://en.beijing2008.cn/

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 01:52   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm not going. I think I can get better a view from my TV. Or from the Internet. I wouldn't get the "atmosphere", but that depends on which atmosphere you're talking about.

But there's no denying that the Chinese, in general, are very excited that the Olympic Games are coming to Beijing and the feeling is infectious. The Chinese government has spent millions over the past couple of years sprucing up infrastructure all over the country, partly in anticipation of the event.

I tend to watch the glamour events like swimming, gymnastics, 100-metre dash, football and marathon. The opening and closing ceremonies are definitely worth watching as well. The Barcelona Olympics of 1992 remains the most memorable for me, mainly because of its terrific theme song, Amigos Para Siempre.

All-in-all, I'm looking forward to the Games.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 02:29   Link #3
km0120

I am not going. I like playing sports rather than watching them.

I am wondering if the government of China will use the Beijing Olympics as political propaganda.
km0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 02:50   Link #4
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... Amigos Para Siempre brings back memories of my childhood in better days...

I doubt We Are Ready will bring back memories like that... hahaha... although the lineup of artists on there is amazing.

I personally love the Olympics as well, and will be definitely glued to my TV watching the swimming, taekwondo, badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Oh and I forgot those two little things called the Opening and Closing Ceremonies...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 04:13   Link #5
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by km0120 View Post
I am not going. I like playing sports rather than watching them.

I am wondering if the government of China will use the Beijing Olympics as political propaganda.
You bet they are.

A few months ago, a pro-democracy lawmaker in Hong Kong was grilled for being "unpatriotic" by the communist loyalists simply because he wrote an article in the New York Times urging the Western governments to use the Olympics as an opportunity to pressure Beijing on human rights issues.

This is just Berlin 1936 all over again, an authoritarian regime using the Olympics to "showcase the glory of the empire".

"We Are Ready" is nothing but a cheesy song. Already the lyrics are being spoofed by pro-democracy activists, saying they're "ready" for free and open elections anytime.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 04:47   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Where the politics is concerned, I have mixed feelings too. The Games having become the big commercial affair that it is, giving the Games to China is a tacit admission that money speaks louder than ideology. But speaking as a Chinese, I can't say I'm not proud to see China rising up to centrestage.

China is changing, but a country of one billion people does not change overnight, so there is a limit to how much we can hope for in the short-term.

On that note, I would rather we focus on the spirit of sportsmanship and global unity that the Olympics is supposed to represent: "Citius, Altius, Fortius" Those are good words to live by.
Old 2008-02-02, 04:48   Link #7
CitizenGeek
State Alchemist

Send a message via MSN to CitizenGeek
I'm not 'into' sports, so I won't really follow any of the events aside from the ones Ireland has a good chance of winning. Really looking forward to the opening ceremony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
I doubt We Are Ready will bring back memories like that... hahaha... although the lineup of artists on there is amazing.
First time I've heard that, and I really like it, actually!
CitizenGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 05:13   Link #8
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Amazing how reading youtube comments always get my blood boiling. Racists -__-

Well this is just another field day for other countries to nitpick on how china works even if they are themselves full of holes. It's always easier to point out the faults on someone else than on oneself

Nice song though

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 05:25   Link #9
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
You can say that again. I just want to squeeze them till their eyes pop out! xD Ahem...

I've been playing "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games". Which is based at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Been having fun with it.
*Rubs hands together* I am so ready for the Olympics!
KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 05:57   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
For me, personally I love watching the Olympics, but I don't watch every event, just the ones I like, like the 100 meter dash ^^, the gymnastics, the swimming... most everything

188 days to go till the event starts. Start counting down the days, I know I am ^^

Well... first of all, is anyone going?

Official site - http://en.beijing2008.cn/
I am not counting down yet, but I am waiting for the olympics too. I think I prefer watching it in TV.

I will be interested in nearly all water sports (swiming, canoeing, rowing, high diving...), then the decathlon and heptathlon, the historic olympic sports is a must see for me (like spear throwing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Sometimes I think they are just trolls. I mean it takes a lot of ignorance to write what one can often read in these comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Well this is just another field day for other countries to nitpick on how china works even if they are themselves full of holes. It's always easier to point out the faults on someone else than on oneself

Nice song though
There is no doubt that China has still alot of potential to improve, but one should also mention that they achieved alot already. I am quite concerned about the air pollution, but knowing chinese stringent policies in such situations I would not be surprised, if every smoky plant was shut down for the time the olympic games are held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post
You can say that again. I just want to squeeze them till their eyes pop out! xD Ahem...
Freetime wrestler? Just a joke, I know how you feel.

Apropos "We are ready"... I hope the largest producer of doping agents is ready to start some anti doping compaings (very important for competitive sports)
Old 2008-02-02, 05:58   Link #11
Detheal

I love watching the Olympics, unfortunately I'm not going but I'll definitely be watching as much of it as I can on TV.

Full credit to China for the amount of time, effort and money they've put into preparing for the 2008 Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
On that note, I would rather we focus on the spirit of sportsmanship and global unity that the Olympics is supposed to represent: "Citius, Altius, Fortius" Those are good words to live by.
QFT.

Last edited by Detheal; 2008-02-02 at 09:28. Reason: Fixed typo.
Detheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 06:28   Link #12
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Where the politics is concerned, I have mixed feelings too. The Games having become the big commercial affair that it is, giving the Games to China is a tacit admission that money speaks louder than ideology. But speaking as a Chinese, I can't say I'm not proud to see China rising up to centrestage.

China is changing, but a country of one billion people does not change overnight, so there is a limit to how much we can hope for in the short-term.

I too am a Chinese, and have been to China many times myself.

Prosperity is one thing, but prosperity without justice is not true prosperity. Right now it's all "money matters". Just wait till they experience their first recession, which the central government is trying very, very hard to prevent. They may have a tight grip on all levels of information and society, but there is one thing they fear above everything else - chaos, and a financial disaster offers all the ingredient for just that.

The poor in the western countries at least have a choice in ending their poverty (how they do it is up to them), but every week I hear news about corupt local provincial officials sponging off the rural citizens, bulldozing their houses and occupying their land without their permission in order to build the new highway or luxury condos, etc, and these guys have absolutely no other avenue to voice their grievances, apart from "taking a walk" to the government offices (i.e. a protest), or talk to the reporters from Hong Kong, who are one of the few outsiders allowed access to report in China.

Quote:
Still doesn't mean China doesn't deserve those criticisms. There's a saying: "If you throw enough shit on a wall, some of it is bound to stick".

Anyway, enough politics. Just talking about sports, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in any way looking forward to it just for the fun.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 07:01   Link #13
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Yes, enough politics. And keeping that in mind...

... Who else is dying to see what the opening ceremony is gonna be like? If it's anything like any other large event that is held in China, it should be a marvelous spectacular!
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 07:12   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
I too am a Chinese, and have been to China many times myself.
我们是龙的传人! (We are the descendants of the Dragon!)

Heh, sorry, couldn't help it, especially after listening to all eight minutes of "We Are Ready". I love it. It's a great song. More significantly, those are singers from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Rock on! Yes, we will always have our differences, but let's put that aside this summer and make it the best Games ever.

I have no idea how the opening ceremony is going to be like, but I'm looking forward to fireworks. Lots and lots of them. I'm a sucker for colourful pyrotechnics.
Old 2008-02-02, 07:45   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Yes, enough politics. And keeping that in mind...

... Who else is dying to see what the opening ceremony is gonna be like? If it's anything like any other large event that is held in China, it should be a marvelous spectacular!
The word "Guy Fawkes" spring to mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hong Kong
I noticed lee hacken near the start - ROCK! (one of my favorite singer for love songs).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 12:08   Link #16
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Whatever city the Olympics comes to, it brings billions of dollars and that city that is chosen will pretty become a valuable holiday destination spot for the future.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 13:25   Link #17
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Anyone saw the Olympic Torch relay route? I think it's quite interesting for the fact that the runner will run through from South Korea to North Korea. Also it seems that it won't go through Taiwan.
Spoiler for saving space:

I would really like to go to the Olympic but no chance for me as I have no time or money. Well I hope that this Olympic to turn out great.
Old 2008-02-02, 13:28   Link #18
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
Whatever city the Olympics comes to, it brings billions of dollars and that city that is chosen will pretty become a valuable holiday destination spot for the future.
Or it could leave the host city very deeply in the red.

The Montreal Olympics of 1976 lost so much money that Los Angeles' bid for the 1984 Games went uncontested. The 1984 Games marked the beginning of multi-million dolloar corporate sponsorships, which was when the Olympics Games truly started to become a profitable affair. Before the 1980s, cities weren't actually that keen to host the Games because of the huge costs involved.

Come to think of it, the 1980s marked a pivotal time in international sports as a whole, not just for the Olympic Games. Based on my own memories, this was the decade that the English Premier League (Liverpool's golden era) and the NBA (Lakers vs Celtics) started to rake in big money from TV advertising.
Old 2008-02-02, 16:45   Link #19
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
I am quite concerned about the air pollution, but knowing chinese stringent policies in such situations I would not be surprised, if every smoky plant was shut down for the time the olympic games are held.
Please don't let that stop anyone from going to the Olympic Games in person. Normally, yes, it's pretty bad, especially in recent years. However, they are shutting down not only industrial production around the area, traffic is also kept to a bare minimum weeks in advance. Drastic measures will be taken for the health of both visitors and athletes.

Although this is probably the only time the Olympic games are going to be held in my hometown in history, the expense of plane tickets and seating for a crappy view doesn't really justify going, IMHO.

Why all this talk of politics? Isn't the purpose of the Olympics to put aside politics for a while and take part in a friendly and global competition? Of course, reality isn't so simple, but I think we should at least try to respect the spirit of the games.
Old 2008-02-02, 17:35   Link #20
Lanner Falcon
Lord of the Crimson Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Please don't let that stop anyone from going to the Olympic Games in person. Normally, yes, it's pretty bad, especially in recent years. However, they are shutting down not only industrial production around the area, traffic is also kept to a bare minimum weeks in advance. Drastic measures will be taken for the health of both visitors and athletes.

Although this is probably the only time the Olympic games are going to be held in my hometown in history, the expense of plane tickets and seating for a crappy view doesn't really justify going, IMHO.

Why all this talk of politics? Isn't the purpose of the Olympics to put aside politics for a while and take part in a friendly and global competition? Of course, reality isn't so simple, but I think we should at least try to respect the spirit of the games.
Your sentiment is entirely correct, but historically, it has not prevailed.

Olympics = politics

Nonetheless, the rest of us can follow you advice
Lanner Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics