AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-25, 18:41   Link #18641
Mentar
Banned

This kind of sh*t is exactly why I'll oppose any relaxation in our pretty draconic gun control laws. There will always be irresponsible idiots. Better keep dangerous equipment out of their hands.
Old 2011-12-25, 20:44   Link #18642
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Now this is entirely unfair.

California soldier shot at his homecoming party
http://www.contracostatimes.com/nati...ld/ci_19617574
My question is, what the hell was that guy doing at his homecoming party in the first place?
Old 2011-12-25, 20:58   Link #18643
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Twin tower-like building design in South Korea sparks memories of Sept. 11 attacks – The Star-Ledger

http://www.aboutkorean.com/twin-towe...e-star-ledger/
Saw that some time ago. Standing alone it is quite fine and unique. But some other people posted comparison pictures of the design and the twin tower in flames, the resemblance is a bit uncanny.
Old 2011-12-25, 21:54   Link #18644
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Saw that some time ago. Standing alone it is quite fine and unique. But some other people posted comparison pictures of the design and the twin tower in flames, the resemblance is a bit uncanny.
I understand why some people are offended by this building's design, but by that same token I like it.
It has a unique artistic value that I've never seen before, and like all art, even if it was meant to be a representation of the NY twin-towers, we do not have to interpret it that way.

I know I don't.
It just looks cool to me.
Old 2011-12-25, 22:32   Link #18645
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Twin tower-like building design in South Korea sparks memories of Sept. 11 attacks – The Star-Ledger

http://www.aboutkorean.com/twin-towe...e-star-ledger/
To me, I didn't think of the WTC at all when I saw it. It just looks like a cool building, especially the connecting piece.
Old 2011-12-25, 23:23   Link #18646
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Islamists kill dozens in Nigeria Christmas bombs
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BO03020111226
I guess than Christmas and Easter are the 2 biggest ''occasion'' if they wanted to do the biggest killcount possible, and it's without taking into acount the symbolic.
Old 2011-12-25, 23:28   Link #18647
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Islamists kill dozens in Nigeria Christmas bombs
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BO03020111226
I guess than Christmas and Easter are the 2 biggest ''occasion'' if they wanted to do the biggest killcount possible, and it's without taking into acount the symbolic.
Now imagine how this appears to someone who thinks they're arguing over whether its a Giant Stargoat or a Lasagna Monster that tries to eat the sun every winter.... violent mentally damaged monkeys...
Old 2011-12-26, 00:15   Link #18648
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Now imagine how this appears to someone who thinks they're arguing over whether its a Giant Stargoat or a Lasagna Monster that tries to eat the sun every winter.... violent mentally damaged monkeys...
The fact than they pray to the same god while claiming to killing each others for religious matter make it even more meaningless.
What's worse than a violent mentaly damaged monkey ? a violent mentaly damaged monkey than belive than belive than it's a great thing to kill for his cause.
Old 2011-12-26, 01:07   Link #18649
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Now this is entirely unfair.

California soldier shot at his homecoming party
http://www.contracostatimes.com/nati...ld/ci_19617574
*facepalm* and all this because they were arguing over -- of all trivialities -- football!
Old 2011-12-26, 05:30   Link #18650
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
*facepalm* and all this because they were arguing over -- of all trivialities -- football!
Peoples fear much more strangers, beliving among other thing than they are ''dangerous'', but you are more likely to be killed by someone close to you and for something as stupid as a argument.
Old 2011-12-26, 05:36   Link #18651
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Well we kill people over bad karaoke so... yeah....
Old 2011-12-26, 07:20   Link #18652
Tom Bombadil

China and Japan plan direct currency exchange agreement

Quote:
China and Japan have unveiled plans to promote direct exchange of their currencies in a bid to cut costs for companies and boost bilateral trade.

The deal will allow firms to convert the Chinese and Japanese currencies directly into each other.

Currently businesses in both countries need to buy US dollars before converting them into the desired currency, adding extra costs.
Glad that they worked out something nice.
Old 2011-12-26, 08:23   Link #18653
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

So am I, but I wonder if that will provoke backlash from the ultra-nationalists on both sides for "fraternising with the enemy".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-26, 09:32   Link #18654
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Report Condemns Japan’s Response to Nuclear Accident

Quote:
From inspectors who abandoned the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant as it succumbed to disaster to a delay in disclosing radiation leaks, Japan’s response to the nuclear accident caused by the March tsunami fell tragically short, a government-appointed investigative panel said on Monday.

[...]

The panel attacked the use of the term “soteigai,” which translates to “unforeseen,” by plant and government officials to describe the unprecedented scale of the disaster and to explain why they were unable to stop it. Running a nuclear power plant required officials to foresee the unforeseen, said the panel’s chairman, Yotaro Hatamura, a professor emeritus in engineering at the University of Tokyo.
Seems rather blunt for an official review, at least by Japanese standards. However,

Quote:
...the interim report seems to leave ultimate responsibility for the disaster ambiguous. Even if workers had realized that the emergency cooling system was not working, they might have not been able to prevent the meltdowns.

The panel limited itself to suggesting that a quicker response might have mitigated the core damage and lessened the release of radiation into the environment.

“The aim of this panel is not to demand responsibility,” Mr. Hatamura said. He also said the panel’s findings should not affect debate on the safety of Japan’s four dozen other nuclear reactors.
Really? How could it not?
Old 2011-12-26, 10:46   Link #18655
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
So am I, but I wonder if that will provoke backlash from the ultra-nationalists on both sides for "fraternising with the enemy".
So far I haven't seen any on the Chinese forums. Even among the nationalists, attitude toward the Japanese is kind of complex. This attitude is captured quite nicely when it comes to Japanese rocket technology, which is a generation ahead of the Chinese. Many Chinese netizens jokingly remark with "羡慕嫉妒恨(envy, jealousy, regret/hate)". Then some will promptly ridicule its low launching rate and high cost. So it is some kind of rivalry, and because Japan is (or had been) ahead in so many areas, in some way, they have earned respect. (Of course when it comes to touchy issues like territory disputes, it becomes quite nasty.) For some other neighbors unfortunately, opinions can be more one sided and unforgiving.
Old 2011-12-26, 11:18   Link #18656
GundamFan0083

This is tragic IMHO.

Fire at Conn. home kills ad exec's 3 kids, parents

http://news.yahoo.com/fire-conn-home...073207516.html
Old 2011-12-26, 11:54   Link #18657
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

Good for those countries, another blow to the US world currency status.

Quote:
This is tragic IMHO.

Fire at Conn. home kills ad exec's 3 kids, parents

http://news.yahoo.com/fire-conn-home...073207516.html
That's horrible and I'm sure she'll have survivor's guilt, being the mother.
Old 2011-12-26, 12:24   Link #18658
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well we kill people over bad karaoke so... yeah....
One minute, they're trying to sing "My Way", the next thing the whole beerhouse becomes O.K. Corral.
Old 2011-12-26, 13:57   Link #18659
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
One minute, they're trying to sing "My Way", the next thing the whole beerhouse becomes O.K. Corral.
"We just wanted her to start 'dancing', officer."
Old 2011-12-26, 15:26   Link #18660
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
In the original ruling, the panel’s presiding judge, Bakone Justice Moloto of South Africa, said the Yugoslavia tribunal has an “inherent jurisdiction” to prosecute anybody who interferes with its work. Hartmann did so, the panel found, because revealing the sensitive information provided by Serbia “may deter sovereign states from cooperating with the tribunal where the provision of evidential material is concerned.”

Hartmann’s book explained a secret court ruling that allowed the Serbian government to prevent confidential documents provided to the court showing its involvement in the Bosnian war to be made public. The documents, according to Hartmann, detailed the late President Slobodan Milosevic’s military support of Bosnian Serb forces and his links to wartime atrocities that those forces committed, including the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...nIP_story.html
i am really really glad the US never sign on with world court. Its founder might have had the best intentions but now it is nothing more then a bureaucratic drain of public money that worry more about its prestige then getting stuff done.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international