AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-08, 12:06   Link #421
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Seeing as I referenced Wahlgren's role in that series in a later post... No.

The thing is, Kyon is such an atypical role for Freeman. It's hard to picture what he'd sound like.

Of course, I'm still going to laugh at whatever the dub does with "*Kyon growls into the phone* .. *Mikuru starts crying*," whether it's because they did it better or because it's horrible.
It's funny, the first three Freeman roles I heard were Albedo, Capt. Tylor, and Kyon.

So, whenever I hear that voice, I think of one or more of those three characters... usually Kyon.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:01   Link #422
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashinoUmineko View Post
Wahlgren's Tsuruya sounded like a Valley Girl. I don't see why they gave her that voice in the first place...
Kansai. Tsuruya is the one member of the cast that talks with a Kansai dialect, which is strange considering where they all live.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:02   Link #423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She also has a slight thing going on with her fang.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:33   Link #424
OkamiNoKaze

His Hidaki from Chobits, is pretty close to Kyon though.
Old 2009-08-08, 15:48   Link #425
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
His Hidaki from Chobits, is pretty close to Kyon though.
...That's because Hideki was originally voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, who voices Kyon.
Old 2009-08-08, 19:14   Link #426
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Er... it's not a financial issue, it's a question of whether or not I want to reward this arc by buying all the DVDs.

If your breakdown is accurate I'll probably get DVD 2 and 3... and skip DVD 1.

Or I might just wait for the full season set to come out.
I think that the release will be like the first season... IF we even get that; since season (sub-only) sets are now all the rage...

...for companies NOT named Funimation...
Old 2009-08-08, 19:50   Link #427
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

About Bandai's recent sub-only trend, I read that during one of their panels earlier this summer they said dubs were pretty much only being done for series with 'tv airing potential.' If they stick to that there's going to be a small percentage of series that do get dubs...

Sorry if this was already mentioned earlier in the thread lol

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-09, 00:16   Link #428
OkamiNoKaze

I still think Haruhi would be cool on TV something like Adult swim, as lead in between the comedy and the more action oriented shows. Also does that sub only apply to shows that they dubbed in previous installments though?
Old 2009-08-09, 00:16   Link #429
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think that whatever happens with the "extension of season one" over here, it won't be up to Bandai. They weren't the licensor of season one, just the distributor. Kadokawa USA licensed it (from itself, funny how that works), and I suspect they will do the same for the remainder of season one (if it wasn't already hidden in some clause of the first deal). Then whoever ends up distributing it (probably Bandai again, as the sales have been quite good for a non-aired show, IIRC) will be told by KadoUSA how they want it done. My money is on it being handled exactly the same as before, since they'll want to release a "full" season one set at some point.
Old 2009-08-09, 00:17   Link #430
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I think that whatever happens with the "extension of season one" over here, it won't be up to Bandai. They weren't the licensor of season one, just the distributor. Kadokawa USA licensed it (from itself, funny how that works), and I suspect they will do the same for the remainder of season one (if it wasn't already hidden in some clause of the first deal). Then whoever ends up distributing it (probably Bandai again, as the sales have been quite good for a non-aired show, IIRC) will be told by KadoUSA how they want it done. My money is on it being handled exactly the same as before, since they'll want to release a "full" season one set at some point.
Oh really? Cool, that gives me a little more hope for a dub, then.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-09, 00:41   Link #431
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I still think Haruhi would be cool on TV something like Adult swim, as lead in between the comedy and the more action oriented shows.
No.

Dear God in Heaven, NO. [adult swim] has become a bad joke. They only see anime as something to ridicule (read: vent their redneck xenophobia on) while they use its ad revenue to fund their next "original" series, probably something about a fetishistic three-toed-sloth addicted to valium. If you think the treatment they gave the (often admittedly deserving) Inuyasha anime and fanbase was bad, can you imagine how they'd handle Live Alive? Or Someday in the Rain? Or Endless Eigh--ah, probably a bad example...

Your only interaction with [adult swim] should be to set your DVRs to record the few good things they still show (their diminishing number of anime titles, Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken, Venture Bros, and if they ever make new episodes, Boondocks) so you can fast-forward through their sponsors.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:21   Link #432
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I think that the release will be like the first season... IF we even get that; since season (sub-only) sets are now all the rage...

...for companies NOT named Funimation...
And Viz. In fact, most of the Hauhi VAs wor for Viz...
Old 2009-08-09, 12:26   Link #433
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
That's because Viz and Bang Zoom! have essentially the same pool of voice talent to grab from.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-09, 12:28   Link #434
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
That's because Viz and Bang Zoom! have essentially the same pool of voice talent to grab from.
Huh *looks at wiki page etc* you're right. Even so, does this increase dub chances?
Old 2009-08-09, 23:19   Link #435
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Actually that's been a fairly recent thing for them. Viz (who licenses and/or distributes, and hires no ADR staff or actors directly) has historically been fond of using Ocean for their voice acting (Inuyasha, Death Note, Ranma), but for Naruto and Bleach, with their massive casts, that wouldn't work, since Ocean tends to use a limited (if still talented) pool of voice actors. So they decided to use an ADR group that doesn't limit themselves to in-house talent, and is based, like Viz, in California. Naturally, as Bang Zoom! is also based in California, and the English voice acting workforce is nowhere near as large as Japan's, there's a lot of bleedover. And not just from Bang Zoom! Vic Mignona, primarily known for his in-house work for Texas-based outfits Funimation (FMA) and ADV (FMP!), voices the fairly important secondary side character Ikkaku on Bleach, and he's hardly the only talent currently working with Viz that hails from outside the Golden State.
Old 2009-08-09, 23:23   Link #436
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Perhaps I should've said Bandai instead of Bang Zoom!
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-15, 13:04   Link #437
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I still find it interesting that no matter what way you bought the Haruhi DVDs (either through individual volumes or the complete collection) everyone has the same DVD volumes. FMP: TSR was also released by Kadokawa Picture USA but depending on what you bought you have either the individual volumes or the complete series, which just has each DVD in one case. Granted, the packaging and distribution was done by Funimation for TSR but I think Kadokawa USA had to have some say in it.

But that's just me being suspicious like always. Maybe big daddy Kadokawa JP told them to make sure the complete collection consisted of each individual volume before they released it in mid-2008 so that in the future everyone can buy the new DVDs and have them be consistent with the ones they have.

Old 2009-09-16, 22:50   Link #438
kniteowl

Just saw a little bit of the dub (note that I haven't seen all the dub episodes), it wasn't too bad.

Apart from the pronounciation of names, the rest wasn't too bad...

There were some parts where the voices felt I dunno, lacking... as in it was good enough to pass but it could've been better.

I personally like Kyon's Dubbing the best

Mikuru was done pretty well, I thought the high pitch voice would be terrible but they worked it out pretty well

Koizumi was annoying, which is perfect, he always annoyed me in the Jap version.

Nagato has the emotionless voice down... but it's just missing something that I can't explain... yes she has to have the emotionless voice BUT you can almost read/understand the the emotions beneath the emotionless voice in the Jap version, at least for me, maybe I should watch "Day of S"episode 1st and find out more.

Tsuruya, yeah I guess it fits, very peppy... but I still miss the kansai accent, that accent just put her over the top in the Jap version for me lol.
Old 2009-09-16, 23:12   Link #439
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmmm...as a fitting, unfitting voice actor joke...Tsuruya needs a southern accent.

(Peppy Osaka)
Old 2009-09-17, 02:08   Link #440
kniteowl

^ hm... it might work but that could be pushing it...

why don't we try out all of the english accents and find out which works best, Australian? Canadian? British?... who knows...

at least for Tsuruya, they had the peppy side right.