AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-03-03, 03:47   Link #1181
Alyxis
Mad Hatter

Hope dat isn't an elaborate April fool's prank. i wudnt survive it...
Alyxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 03:50   Link #1182
BionicMeerkat

Haha yeah the date at first glance is worrisome but I don't think it is an April fool's prank. They(Sneaker Bunko) have like 5 other LNs coming out the same day. However, if it really is a prank then they will be trolling a lot of fans

Have a question regarding a series? Feel free to tweet at me @BionicMeerkat

Editor @ Baka-Tsuki for Mondaiji, Black Bullet, Strike the Blood, Maou na Ore, Rakudai

RIP in pieces Black Bullet and Strike the Blood

Last edited by BionicMeerkat; 2014-03-03 at 03:51. Reason: left a word out by mistake, duplicate word
BionicMeerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 03:53   Link #1183
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Well, he can talk about the short story thing, since it's obviously true. That's just the way it is.

If you look at it from the reader's perspective, for example, Harry Potter is now a BCG cashcow, and was previously a BCG star (using the Boston Consultant Group's matrix), which means it holds quite the share of the market (however we define that, but let's say it has a tremendous amount of fans), but it's also reeling in the dollars without further market expansion.

Now, try and compare that to Mondaiji f.e. Most series, if they aren't failures, get a shetload of fans with its story with the first few novels, and then come the short story compilations. That's how LNs usually work. Because they don't have enough sales as they are, they need to extend the series in any way possible (this extension should be taken primarily in terms of fanbase, and secondarily in run). That's where short stories come in. The editor usually cares about the quality of the work, and the cash flow it reels in equally, but sometimes, it's broken (like in this case). Mondaiji could still do better, if it got more fans, which would still need more of the story progression, and maybe careful considerations on changes in the story (experimentation is risky, since sudden wrong changes can always make the fans disheartened, and it'll be too late by the time the jack comes out of the box). That would be something you'd call "expanding its market share". These risky changes tend to go well at least to some degree though, since people usually finish a collection once they start it.

However, that's where the other side of the story comes in. Even if the market share doesn't expand (which means it won't become either a BCG question mark, or a BCG star), if it can gather money, it's still okay to go with the direction without changing anything. That's why the priority shifts from expanding the fanbase through quality content, to expanding the entire breadth of the series, which we fans call "useless time-wasting with lots of cliffhangers". That ensures that the product that won't become a BCG star (meaning it won't get more fans), shifts towards a BCG cashcow (meaning it milks its existing fans), rather than a BCG question mark (meaning it's like a bubble, growing, milking fans, but popping rather fast), therefore as long as the alredy reeled in fanbase buys the content regardless of quality, it can stabilize the income. Then, the only question is, how long can they extend the run of the series, and that is what decides if it will become a BCG question mark (which would equal to a "short-lived fad" in common language), or a BCG cashcow (which means a so-called "mid-to-long lived trend").

Did that enlighten you on the choice of the editor? It isn't wrong, per se, but it's obvious that it's not made in consideration of the series' fans. That's why Feng-sensei calls him shitty. Well, the publisher's partly at fault too, but they're a business. Any forprofit organisation tends to go for the highest sales with the lowest investment (that's the origin of the damn short story volumes). It's no suprise it works that way. But it's understandable to at least some degree.
Also, for those who watched Bakuman. (for those who didn't, go download it NOW), Akira said "in a bout where the publisher and the author have differences, a true editor stands by their author". Well, that would be the ideal outcome of things. Sadly, this is business. And as long as business is boomin', who really cares about the fanbase, since angry money is worth no more, and no less then happy money, you know.

Sorry for going too deeply into it. But I think some people are still in the mist about this damn cliffhanger-extending compilation of worst-timed SSV.

EDIT: of course, we can't rule out the possibility that this whole thing is the author's choice. Maybe he wanted a break, and the publisher decided to keep the freshness of the series with "regular content updates", meaning they scheduled a SSV while the author takes a break. That might happen too, and this is just speculation. Probably only the author and the publisher (which also includes the edtor) know the truth behind this, unless the author posted something on his/her Twitter, or whatever. As for info on that, I don't really know anything.

Last edited by RpR1337; 2014-03-03 at 04:02. Reason: One last thing ...
RpR1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 04:02   Link #1184
BionicMeerkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RpR1337 View Post
Did that enlighten you on the choice of the editor? It isn't wrong, per se, but it's obvious that it's not made in consideration of the series' fans. That's why Feng-sensei calls him shitty. Well, the publisher's partly at fault too, but they're a business. Any forprofit organisation tends to go for the highest sales with the lowest investment (that's the origin of the damn short story volumes). It's no suprise it works that way. But it's understandable to at least some degree.
Also, for those who watched Bakuman. (for those who didn't, go download it NOW), Akira said "in a bout where the publisher and the author have differences, a true editor stands by their author". Well, that would be the ideal outcome of things. Sadly, this is business. And as long as business is boomin', who really cares about the fanbase, since angry money is worth no more, and no less then happy money, you know.

Sorry for going too deeply into it. But I think some people are still in the myst about this damn cliffhanger-extending compilation of worst-timed SSV.
Ah yeah I definitely understand that. I think it would be foolish to not think of it as a business, and it is just basic capitalism in my eyes. I'm all up for it since it allows a fave LN of mine to continue. I have no issue with them making a whole Volume dedicated to short stories, but more found it odd that they made 1 volume half plot/short story. After all, I'm gonna end up editing it anyway if magref decides to translate it or not.

Edit: Oh man the Bakuman quote is legit. I'm thinking it over in my head and came to the realization that all you would need to change is author to translator for the 2nd half of the quote and it would sum up my relationship with magref with this series and Ougon with Strike the Blood, Black Bullet and any other series he asks me to help out with. Pretty cool

Editor @ Baka-Tsuki for Mondaiji, Black Bullet, Strike the Blood, Maou na Ore, Rakudai

Last edited by BionicMeerkat; 2014-03-03 at 04:09. Reason: Missed a word
Old 2014-03-03, 05:03   Link #1185
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicMeerkat View Post
Ah yeah I definitely understand that. I think it would be foolish to not think of it as a business, and it is just basic capitalism in my eyes. I'm all up for it since it allows a fave LN of mine to continue. I have no issue with them making a whole Volume dedicated to short stories, but more found it odd that they made 1 volume half plot/short story. After all, I'm gonna end up editing it anyway if magref decides to translate it or not.

Edit: Oh man the Bakuman quote is legit. I'm thinking it over in my head and came to the realization that all you would need to change is author to translator for the 2nd half of the quote and it would sum up my relationship with magref with this series and Ougon with Strike the Blood, Black Bullet and any other series he asks me to help out with. Pretty cool
Good quotes are good because they work not only in theory. Well, anyways, I'm happy I could help.

Of course we'd find it odd. After all, it's unusual. But take DxD f.e. (again). The same thing happened there, where not long after a short story compilation, another half-short story compilation came. That seems to be the new trend (and it's a friggin' bad trend after all). I just hope that once we're through this thing, at least the current arc gets resolved decently. We can always wait (well, to be honest, it's rather we can't argue), since most of us don't buy the stuff, just translate it.

Although I don't find internet to be a copyright infringement, since if the content wasn't availible from the start on the intarwebz for free, I'd still not buy it, therefore, I don't "generate losses" for the relevant parties, so to say. But that's the gist of it. Only paying customers have the right to argue.
Old 2014-03-03, 10:26   Link #1186
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive! Vol 10 Cover

All thanks to Firebird for posting the link over at BT!
Well, no one else said it sooooooo.....

IT'S CANARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2014-03-03, 10:33   Link #1187
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Well, no one else said it sooooooo.....

IT'S CANARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, check your own sig

Ah well, random pic of Canaria. Quite a dull cover, if you ask me (in terms of either dramatic conclusions or foreshadowing).
Old 2014-03-03, 10:36   Link #1188
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Dude, check your own sig

Ah well, random pic of Canaria. Quite a dull cover, if you ask me (in terms of either dramatic conclusions or foreshadowing).
I'm not mad, I'm happy. Canaria is probably my second favorite character behind her son. I've been wanting her to show up since she was introduced.
Old 2014-03-03, 10:55   Link #1189
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

I'd like for her to get more characterizations. Though I really prefer if she's actually alive. I'm never one for the Lost Lenore/Post-Mortem Character to get more characterization than the living ones.

On the editor debate, it's really simple: Know balance and remember that there's a time and place for everything. The Mondaiji fanbase was still not big, loyal, and niche enough as it is (as in, the series does not rule a niche, we already got something similar in other series like Hagure Yuusha). For now, they should concern themselves with gaining popularity through quality than raking money through quantity. Despite saying that "it's business", they're forgetting a really simple rule in starting a business: "99% of the time, you will be having a lot of lost before you gain profit, and that is only if you are diligent and good enough to get it."

I'm not saying that lots of short story volumes are bad. They can be pretty good, especially if they add depth to the characters. But stopping mid-arc in cliffhanger after doing it on the previous two volumes is definitely a stupid move. That's neither good for popularity nor money. Okay, perhaps it's good for the short term, but not the long term. Hence, why I'm calling the editor/publisher shitty. They're not a good businessman nor a story-editor.
Feng Lengshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 11:11   Link #1190
Ougon
愛すべからざる光

Quote:
Dude, check your own sig

Ehh, that's a dull cover for you? Mondaiji fans, who I know, are going crazy with excitement over this, though......
Old 2014-03-03, 12:44   Link #1191
BionicMeerkat

Quote:
Good quotes are good because they work not only in theory. Well, anyways, I'm happy I could help.

Of course we'd find it odd. After all, it's unusual. But take DxD f.e. (again). The same thing happened there, where not long after a short story compilation, another half-short story compilation came. That seems to be the new trend (and it's a friggin' bad trend after all). I just hope that once we're through this thing, at least the current arc gets resolved decently. We can always wait (well, to be honest, it's rather we can't argue), since most of us don't buy the stuff, just translate it.

Although I don't find internet to be a copyright infringement, since if the content wasn't availible from the start on the intarwebz for free, I'd still not buy it, therefore, I don't "generate losses" for the relevant parties, so to say. But that's the gist of it. Only paying customers have the right to argue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feng Lengshun View Post
I'd like for her to get more characterizations. Though I really prefer if she's actually alive. I'm never one for the Lost Lenore/Post-Mortem Character to get more characterization than the living ones.

On the editor debate, it's really simple: Know balance and remember that there's a time and place for everything. The Mondaiji fanbase was still not big, loyal, and niche enough as it is (as in, the series does not rule a niche, we already got something similar in other series like Hagure Yuusha). For now, they should concern themselves with gaining popularity through quality than raking money through quantity. Despite saying that "it's business", they're forgetting a really simple rule in starting a business: "99% of the time, you will be having a lot of lost before you gain profit, and that is only if you are diligent and good enough to get it."

I'm not saying that lots of short story volumes are bad. They can be pretty good, especially if they add depth to the characters. But stopping mid-arc in cliffhanger after doing it on the previous two volumes is definitely a stupid move. That's neither good for popularity nor money. Okay, perhaps it's good for the short term, but not the long term. Hence, why I'm calling the editor/publisher shitty. They're not a good businessman nor a story-editor.
Yeah I can see now why you would call them a shitty editor/publisher. It also doesn't help that magref just told me like an hour ago that the Publisher sold some Mondaiji stuff just to make them free a couple months later. :| Not a cool move whatsoever.

Like I said in my original post, I don't follow or look into who publishes/edits what, so this new information is very informative. Makes me wonder if they do the same thing with other series under their name, which seems likely. Sadness...

Old 2014-03-03, 16:17   Link #1192
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Like I said in my original post, I don't follow or look into who publishes/edits what, so this new information is very informative. Makes me wonder if they do the same thing with other series under their name, which seems likely. Sadness...
all Japanese LN publishing companies do this. Look at how many side/short story vols got release in the middle part of the plot line for Chrome Shell Reigos.
Old 2014-03-03, 16:38   Link #1193
BionicMeerkat

I never read the LN of Chrome Shell Regios (which is quite hilarious since I'm an editor for Legend of Rios ) so that is news to me. I'm looking over the Volumes atm and I see how some of the Chapter titles scream short story and like you said, they really are in the middle of the sequence. The more you know I guess

Old 2014-03-03, 17:09   Link #1194
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
I'm not mad, I'm happy. Canaria is probably my second favorite character behind her son. I've been wanting her to show up since she was introduced.
Just jokin' bro. Just jokin'. I'm interested in her as well (but only if her info holds relevance in terms of the actual story, meaning it changes something, therefore if she had a nice game of tag after falling from the garden and then died, then no thanks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougon no Kemono View Post
Ehh, that's a dull cover for you? Mondaiji fans, who I know, are going crazy with excitement over this, though......
As stated above - dull cover, since neither info nor anything that actually happens is depicted on it. That's like putting Sylvester Stallone's suited image on a Rambo movie DVD case. If you put him on in his ragged, bloody, headband-wearing form with long hair and long gattling gun, well, that's a difference.

Quote:
+1. You really get my meaning when I say it's dull as it is now.

Quote:
On the editor debate, it's really simple: Know balance and remember that there's a time and place for everything. (...) But stopping mid-arc in cliffhanger after doing it on the previous two volumes is definitely a stupid move. That's neither good for popularity nor money. Okay, perhaps it's good for the short term, but not the long term. Hence, why I'm calling the editor/publisher shitty. They're not a good businessman nor a story-editor.
That's the way. Where:
"Know balance and remember that there's a time and place for everything." = the ideal way
"But stopping mid-arc in cliffhanger after doing it on the previous two volumes is definitely a stupid move." = the actual way
"That's neither good for popularity nor money." = the one detail lost on everyone
"Okay, perhaps it's good for the short term, but not the long term." = the definition of BCG question mark
"Hence, why I'm calling the editor/publisher shitty." = the personal opinion of Feng-sensei
"They're not a good businessman nor a story-editor." = the actual truth of the matter.

Three cheers for whacking business!

Quote:
Yeah I can see now why you would call them a shitty editor/publisher. It also doesn't help that magref just told me like an hour ago that the Publisher sold some Mondaiji stuff just to make them free a couple months later. :| Not a cool move whatsoever.

Happy to help again. Yea, that's the way things go.
Old 2014-03-03, 19:25   Link #1195
Miraluka
Banned

Did anyone else beside me noticed Baron Croix next to Canaria?

And I see a chibi Sala Doltrake and a laplace demon but Sala looks the current old one so I guess that past isn't related to them.

This volume will have a reveal about No Name's community in the past and it will be linked to Izayoi and mostly Kurousagi.

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 19:41   Link #1196
BionicMeerkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Did anyone else beside me noticed Baron Croix next to Canaria?

And I see a chibi Sala Doltrake and a laplace demon but Sala looks the current old one so I guess that past isn't related to them.

This volume will have a reveal about No Name's community in the past and it will be linked to Izayoi and mostly Kurousagi.

Wow I just noticed Baron Croix and Lapp are there! Thanks for the post, otherwise I would've completed missed them being there haha. I see someone riding a wave as well, so I'm gonna assume that is Kouryuu or his sister.

The last part is strengthening my suspicions that Kuro Usagi and the rest of the community will find out the relationship between Izayoi and Canaria.

Old 2014-03-03, 19:53   Link #1197
anonfr

Quote:
Wow I just noticed Baron Croix and Lapp are there! Thanks for the post, otherwise I would've completed missed them being there haha. I see someone riding a wave as well, so I'm gonna assume that is Kouryuu or his sister.

The last part is strengthening my suspicions that Kuro Usagi and the rest of the community will find out the relationship between Izayoi and Canaria.
God I hope your suspicion is right. I've been hoping for that one for a LONG time.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 20:05   Link #1198
BionicMeerkat

To be completely honest, I wonder how
Spoiler for Spoiler?:

Last edited by BionicMeerkat; 2014-03-03 at 20:05. Reason: Mistakes for days T.T
Old 2014-03-03, 20:09   Link #1199
anonfr

Quote:
To be completely honest, I wonder how
Spoiler for Spoiler?:
Yeah. But I kind of want it to come now, since it would be a HUGE emotional impact. Plus It was stated by someone else, but I want Canaria to come back, and I want her to come back for her Son.

She even stated that she didn't want to make Izayoi to go to little garden, even if it meant saving her old Community, she was worried about him being safe more. (Which is why it ultimately got left up to Izayoi's own decision)

But she loves her son, and her son just got Wrecked. Best timing for her to appear, in my opinion, by my personal preferences. It having such a large emotional impact on Kuo Usagi would make the whole thing better as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that's what it means by purgatory! lol it probably does refer to the real purgatory..

Spoiler for Leticia:
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 20:40   Link #1200
BionicMeerkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
Yeah. But I kind of want it to come now, since it would be a HUGE emotional impact. Plus It was stated by someone else, but I want Canaria to come back, and I want her to come back for her Son.

She even stated that she didn't want to make Izayoi to go to little garden, even if it meant saving her old Community, she was worried about him being safe more. (Which is why it ultimately got left up to Izayoi's own decision)

But she loves her son, and her son just got Wrecked. Best timing for her to appear, in my opinion, by my personal preferences. It having such a large emotional impact on Kuo Usagi would make the whole thing better as far as I'm concerned. Maybe that's what it means by purgatory! lol it probably does refer to the real purgatory..

Spoiler for Leticia:
Spoiler for Can this be viewed as a spoiler? Meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

Tags
alternate world, sneaker bunko