AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-06-24, 17:32   Link #881
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Microsoft's first party titles? Hmmm, not so much. I'm kind of indifferent to them actually. I plan on buying one when the hardware issues have settled down. Until then, I'll be buying the games and holding on to them.
I don't have the monies ;_; I'm in Toronto right now though, and I'm worried that if I go back to Asia things might get even more expensive there. So I'm wondering whether I should at least pick up a DS or Wii or PSP here first. Decisions decisions. Even if I stay in Canada, it'll be a good few years before I pick up any of the heardcore next-gen systems.. They're simply too expensive.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 20:00   Link #882
kujoe
from head to heel

Tell me about it. Maybe these so-called reliability problems for the 360 are a blessing in disguise. At least for me anyway.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 20:57   Link #883
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Tell me about it. Maybe these reliability problems for the 360 are a blessing in disguise. At least for me anyway.
don't need to be modest :P Say what you want about the PS3s price, but at least you're buying an RELIABLE system. Can't say the same about the 3 Red Ring 360 at the moment. Mine actually died on me couple weeks back, but I brought it back to life with the Towel Trick(Really).

As for 1st party, I don't really have an overall favorite. Of course this year, most of my interest is in MS's first party lineup, with a bit of Sony and Nintendo sprinkled in.

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-06-24 at 22:07.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 22:12   Link #884
arias

The shite reliability issue is a big farce though. I mean, I hope it's really a coincidence that the failures occur some time after the purchase since the warranty is only a year long. I would be extremely angry if it failed on me a month after the warranty expires.

Another issue is that with all these failures and Microsoft having to send their X360s back and forth to consumers, imagine the amount of money Microsoft is having to pay. Of course, they have unbelievably deep pockets and they will likely bury this cost somewhere with creative accounting - nevertheless the cost should be tremendous. Even if they manage to curb future failures with redesigns or refurbishing with extra heat sinks; all these take money. I imagine the per-unit cost M'soft is coughing up may actually rival the losses paid up by Sony per-unit, especially considering how Sony is a real long-running hardware company and M'soft produces their consoles through contracts with hardware developers.

It's all frustrating, because Sony's better-reliability and strategy for their PS3 is essentially a MASSIVE initial investment followed by less future hassle. M'soft has their $50/year Live service (when Sony's is free) and this crappy hardware failure issue. There's not an accurate picture for the consumer now and this is exploited by Microsoft and their fanboys.

To be fair Sony has been doing a shite job. Let's see what happens E3.
Old 2007-06-24, 22:19   Link #885
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
There's not an accurate picture for the consumer now and this is exploited by Microsoft and their fanboys.
I'm no exploitive fanboy

But yeah, I hate the fact they've tried to brush the issue under the rug lately. And of course top it off with Moore's, now famous, "things break" line. Anyway, that's enough MS bashing out of me. Don't want to piss off Master Chief even more than I've already done.

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-06-24 at 23:06.
Old 2007-06-24, 23:27   Link #886
kujoe
from head to heel

It's exactly as arias said.

Some people say that the evidence for the problems of the 360 are merely anecdotal; others claim that the failure rate is actually around 30%. What I'm saying is that I'm not willing to plunk down $400 or so for a machine with that kind of street cred.

On the other hand, the PS3 did drain my wallet. It's almost funny that the better machine is struggling at the moment, while there's a good library of games right now that is playable by one that is often replaced and refurbished. I mean, it's too good to be true. One company is known for its electronic hardware, while the other is a known software giant. And this is the situation that arose. Funny... or maybe just frustrating.
Old 2007-06-24, 23:59   Link #887
Lebron
I hear voices

Soooooo, how bout that Tekken 6... Some new pictures and video :P
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ylist=featured

Pictures:http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...070619/tk6.htm

Also, seeing how they are re-releasing Tekken 5 DR with an online mode, they have no excuses for not having the feature in Tekken 6....and SC4. Come on Namco, let me take on the world! No excuses this time

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-06-25 at 01:17.
Old 2007-06-25, 07:38   Link #888
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Have any of you considered that the reason we don't hear much of PS3 failures is because they don't sell well? The XBox 360 has had much more sales.
Old 2007-06-25, 08:22   Link #889
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Have any of you considered that the reason we don't hear much of PS3 failures is because they don't sell well?
um, No?....

actually, I'm staying out of this one.

Moving on, seems like SCIV will have some guest characters like they did for SC2. No idea who they could include for the 360 version, maybe Ryu Hayabusa(doubt it though), but I think Kratos could make a good fit for the PS3 version. He seems like he would fit in with the game just fine.
Old 2007-06-25, 08:50   Link #890
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Have any of you considered that the reason we don't hear much of PS3 failures is because they don't sell well? The XBox 360 has had much more sales.
Have you read stories about people who are on their 4th, 5th, 6th or more PS3 (after warranty repair)? I can't recall seeing any. It's not that hard to find such stories for the Xbox360 however.

But arguably, the lower amount of sales means you can't really compare the stories about hardware problems. From what I've read though, PAL PS3 units are more likely to fail than US/Japan PS3s. What seems to be a prevailing problem is the fan getting stuck at high speed (=loud) without revving down during idle periods.

Anyway... on overall I think you can consider the PS3 more reliable than the Xbox360. But that's not a scientifically proven statement
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 11:19   Link #891
Lebron
I hear voices

Finally some tidbit information on White Knight Story, taken from a recent interview with Phil Harrison
Quote:
And a title that is coming out in 2008, called Shirokishi [a.k.a. White Knight Story], which is an amazing RPG [with] very rich and deep online features., I think will be a global hit as well.
I knew that 2007 date wasn't going to stick. Still, looking forward to hearing more about the online features--hopefully at E3. Level 5
Old 2007-06-25, 16:06   Link #892
arias

Quote:
I'd tell you about how statistics work.. but won't anyways.
Old 2007-06-25, 23:04   Link #893
Lebron
I hear voices

/Lebron's Namco Online Complaining

SCIV confirmed to have online mode
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160573
Quote:
Either way, the latest issue of EGM spills the beans: Soulcalibur IV will have online networking when it arrives on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2008.
Well hot damn, good sirs! It's on now
Old 2007-06-26, 00:03   Link #894
arias

I am a master at Mitsurugi, so all of you are well f8cked.
Old 2007-06-26, 07:26   Link #895
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
/Lebron's Namco Online Complaining

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160573

Well hot damn, good sirs! It's on now
AM2...I AM Cry 2
Funny...Tekken, SC, SF, DOA, SSBB...Pretty much every fighter except VF. What was AM2 saying about it being impossible and what not. Oh well...What was the sales on VF5 again? Yes...I'm Horrible

Super Excited for SC. Now for the responses
Purist Fighter Fans: SC is crap anyways since 2...online just proves it
Everyone else...Banzai!!!

Lebron...Must read Neogaf!!! Hehe...Megaton For Purist Fans
Old 2007-06-26, 23:08   Link #896
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
AM2...I AM Cry 2
Oh well...What was the sales on VF5 again? Yes...I'm Horrible
That's so wrong, but so true

I know a good number of people that said they would purchase the game if it had an online mode. A piece of an online is still better than no online. I doubt the casuals would really care all about the timing and what not, they would simply want to play against their friends and others. The Hardcore could simply STAY OUT the online mode(instead of complaining), and continue doing what they've been doing for all these years. Everybody wins
Old 2007-06-27, 01:28   Link #897
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron
Good news!

But as I'm able to accept Sega's excuses without having a fit about it, I'm also not automatically jumping for joy yet until I see preview videos of an online match. Still, this option is certainly welcome. (But what to get? The PS3 version or the one for the 360? Oh, how I love to nitpick sometimes...)

Moreover, I'm also wondering if there are plans to make significant changes in order to make it more online-friendly.
Old 2007-06-27, 01:47   Link #898
arias

The Killzone 2 hype is rising again... E3 is well heating up.
Old 2007-06-27, 16:02   Link #899
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

I'm not gonna buy into the hype of Killzone 2. The original had quite a bit of hype, and it did not deliver.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 12:38   Link #900
Lebron
I hear voices

set mouths to stunned! A slew of new Heavenly Sword pictures...my goodness!
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2007/0...t-de-l-ame.htm

If you can't read French, don't worry about it. Just click and be amazed of the pretty pictures. Most impressive game on any console I've seen so far, followed closely by Uncharted, Lair, Mass Effect, and Too Human.

This picture pretty much sums up my facial expression
Spoiler:

Tags
console, ps3, sony