AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-07, 09:50   Link #101
zalem

On LJ Ranka actually edged out Sheryl, which shocked me. The only reason I can really think of is the demographic of LJ vs. the demographic of AS and Macrossworld. There are more guys here then there. It seems among females (not me though, haha) Ranka is more popular for some reason. Though it's not like it was by a huge margin, it was very close.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:07   Link #102
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ah I forgot about LJ, I hardly go their, I just don't like the layout but that might just be me. I'm curious to see how that plays out over the course of the series if thinks go along a similar path to what I assume they will.
Old 2008-07-07, 11:36   Link #103
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
On LJ Ranka actually edged out Sheryl, which shocked me. The only reason I can really think of is the demographic of LJ vs. the demographic of AS and Macrossworld. There are more guys here then there. It seems among females (not me though, haha) Ranka is more popular for some reason. Though it's not like it was by a huge margin, it was very close.

Wow, that's strange...then again it must be a generational gap thing with the females. Also I doubt that LJ contains actual "Macross-heads" (aka: die-hard macross fans). Macross World on the other hand contains different generations of knowledgeable Macross heads worldwide.

I'm female (one of the older ones) but I prefer Sheryl 10 fold. I noticed many of the Generation Y female kids opting for Ranka while Generation X-er females like myself admire Sheryl.

On a slightly different note:
Also keep in mind that Generation Y is very opinionated. They grew up in homes where they were told "opinions ALWAYS count"...which is great but most have blurred the lines between FACT and OPINION hahahaha!. I learned this when I was instructing an art class a few years back and noticed that these late teens and early twenty-somethings (especially the few females in the class) just could not fathom that the text book was correct and their opinion was not.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-07, 11:49   Link #104
zalem

Ah, that too. Forgot about that. LJ is also a very young crowd. I find that I am one of the oldest ones in most of the communities I'm in. So it seems younger females seem to prefer Ranka for whatever reason.
Old 2008-07-07, 11:56   Link #105
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Wow, that's strange...then again it must be a generational gap thing with the females. Also I doubt that LJ contains actual "Macross-heads" (aka: die-hard macross fans). Macross World on the other hand contains different generations of knowledgeable Macross heads worldwide.

I'm female (one of the older ones) but I prefer Sheryl 10 fold. I noticed many of the Generation Y female kids opting for Ranka while Generation X-er females like myself admire Sheryl.

On a slightly different note:
Also keep in mind that Generation Y is very opinionated. They grew up in homes where they were told "opinions ALWAYS count"...which is great but most have blurred the lines between FACT and OPINION hahahaha!. I learned this when I was instructing an art class a few years back and noticed that these late teens and early twenty-somethings (especially the few females in the class) just could not fathom that the text book was correct and their opinion was not.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
I've actually noticed that the fans who are in their mid-20s and above are usually Sheryl fans while it seems that the younger crowd gravitates toward Ranka.

Heh, I guess it is the precious snowflake syndrome.
Old 2008-07-07, 12:42   Link #106
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
I've actually noticed that the fans who are in their mid-20s and above are usually Sheryl fans while it seems that the younger crowd gravitates toward Ranka.

Heh, I guess it is the precious snowflake syndrome.
Yup! So true.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-07, 16:50   Link #107
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Jeffrey Wilder has been added to the poll just now!
Old 2008-07-07, 19:27   Link #108
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Ugh, we should do an end of series poll as well.

Already voted so no Captain for me.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-07-07, 19:32   Link #109
mike_s_6

Quote:
Oh come on, I'm also a girl. It's just that I like this and Macross World better, the layout and usability of Live Journal is generally dissed by other people in my industry Also, if I'm not mistaken, all the posters in Kanno's unofficial English forum who are females absolutely root for Sheryl. No kidding, they do (so far).

EDIT: As for demographic... the posters in that Kanno forum I was talking about pretty much are 20-30 years old.
Old 2008-07-07, 20:03   Link #110
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
which is great but most have blurred the lines between FACT and OPINION hahahaha!

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
So true, it'd be a terrible experience to reason with that kind of people. I remember I once talked in a forum about characters in A Song of Ice and Fire. I made posts explaining why I like Sansa despite all her wrongdoings and dislike Arya. An Arya fan (might be tired of reading my posts) threw a comment back to me "doesn't matter what you say, it's a fact that Sansa is just bad and annoying."
Old 2008-07-07, 20:06   Link #111
zalem

LJ posters on these comms are mostly teens to 20s. At least everytime someone does one of those friending memes all the ages posted are in the teens a lot of the time.

I wasn't the only one who noticed it, there was someone else in the comm that had the same thoughts.
Old 2008-07-07, 20:53   Link #112
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

I'm a girl below 20 and I love Sheryl just fine Ranka never grows on me the way Sheryl does, even at my age she still appear too childish for my taste
Old 2008-07-07, 21:05   Link #113
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
I'm a girl below 20 and I love Sheryl just fine Ranka never grows on me the way Sheryl does, even at my age she still appear too childish for my taste
Then you're definitely part of the minority amongst Generation Y...you are a Generation x-er at heart.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-07, 21:19   Link #114
zalem

There will always be exceptions here and there, but I'd still say it holds in general.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:20   Link #115
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
LJ posters on these comms are mostly teens to 20s. At least everytime someone does one of those friending memes all the ages posted are in the teens a lot of the time.

I wasn't the only one who noticed it, there was someone else in the comm that had the same thoughts.
Ah, I saw that meme and yeash, so many "Sheryl is annoying" comments

It's mostly a gender thing though, females root for the sweet underdog (easier to identify with) and feel threatened by Sheryl types.
Of course it's a generalization etc etc
Old 2008-07-07, 21:26   Link #116
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
Ah, I saw that meme and yeash, so many "Sheryl is annoying" comments

It's mostly a gender thing though, females root for the sweet underdog (easier to identify with) and feel threatened by Sheryl types.
Of course it's a generalization etc etc
Hmmm, dunno but I don't want to identify with the underdog if she's like Ranka, see I'm not fond of Cinderella stories But yes I get the point.

Isn't it interesting that we're delving on the social side of the audience? I think the ages x character preference has something to do with who you are as a person. Isn't it always like that, you root for the character you relate to? Personally, in the world I go around in, it is really the strong girls who are in control who get on top of the corporate world. That's why I like Sheryl, she, as a lot of people mentioned, is the "modern woman". She's strong, but she can be playful and supportive. Young girls on the other hand who are perhaps protected from the harsh realities of the world by their families or by schooling, are more idealistic and think that a person can be innocent and cute and get on the top of the ladder. This rarely happens though, but see... a lot of TV dramas have this kind of Cinderella-like girl character and you just know that the TV is fooling you with circumstances that rarely happen! That's why I feel like it's so refreshing to see a Sheryl archetype in an anime.

Last edited by mike_s_6; 2008-07-07 at 21:39.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:34   Link #117
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
I don't really see anything wrong with Ranka's character design in particular. After all, she is not following conventional stereotypes and her character is quite interesting. Nonetheless, I have to agree that she has yet to grown on me, since there is like, no spark in her character.

But Sheryl is way too fun to resist. I hope Alto would realize what he is missing out soon.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-07, 21:47   Link #118
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
So true, it'd be a terrible experience to reason with that kind of people. I remember I once talked in a forum about characters in A Song of Ice and Fire. I made posts explaining why I like Sansa despite all her wrongdoings and dislike Arya. An Arya fan (might be tired of reading my posts) threw a comment back to me "doesn't matter what you say, it's a fact that Sansa is just bad and annoying."
But it is a fact! Sansa is bad and annoying! Now Alayne Stone, on the other hand, has grown on me. I'm actually hoping for Ranka to have a growth spurt like Sansa in the character development department.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:48   Link #119
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Hmmm, dunno but I don't want to identify with the underdog if she's like Ranka, see I'm not fond of Cinderella stories But yes I get the point.

Isn't it interesting that we're delving on the social side of the audience? I think the ages x character preference has something to do with who you are as a person. Isn't it always like that, you root for the character you relate to? Personally, in the world I go around in, it is really the strong girls who are in control who get on top of the corporate world. That's why I like Sheryl, she, as a lot of people mentioned, is the "modern woman". She's strong, but she can be playful and supportive. Young girls on the other hand who are perhaps protected from the harsh realities of the world by their families or by schooling, are more idealistic and think that a person can be innocent and cute and get on the top of the ladder. This rarely happens though, but see... a lot of TV dramas have this kind of Cinderella-like girl character and you just know that the TV is fooling you with circumstances that rarely happen! That's why I feel like it's so refreshing to see a Sheryl archetype in an anime.

Exactly.

See, I come from a family of asian women who wear the pants (kind of hilarious actually). When people see me, they automatically put me in that tiresome stereotype of "she's asian so she must be passive." Oh bullshit...I've been breaking that stereotype ever since I was a wee tot. I just refuse to give in to that cliche....and that is what I see in Ranka, and it upsets me to no end.

So for me, Sheryl is a character that I can easily relate to. Both of us have the tendency to say what's on our minds...and yes...in the corporate world it really does ring true and it's so difficult to do that in a Japanese company but I have done it and seen it so many times. I'm just the type that refuses to be anyone's lap dog or doormat so I appreciate these kind of traits in her.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-07, 21:52   Link #120
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Isn't it interesting that we're delving on the social side of the audience?
I like to go meta It's fascinating.

Quote:
Isn't it always like that, you root for the character you relate to? Personally, in the world I go around in, it is really the strong girls who are in control who get on top of the corporate world.
Ah, personally, I'm more a Ranka type, the thing is, I aspire to be a Sheryl, in a way
That and yes, Sheryl is a wonderful example of a strong modern woman, but she's still very feminine and often act her age. She also is mostly independant to the male character (for now), and it really pleases me. It may seem like a paradox, but the more a female character acts like an "independent heroine", the more I will support her. At least, I know Sheryl will never need a man for financial support
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite