AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-31, 04:09   Link #13941
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
One would hope that the expert commission preparing the new energy plan would have thought of that

Seriously though, you're wrong. Electrical consumption has significantly DECREASED over the last years. That's why energy savings are one of the biggest factors in the mix. The trend is very likely to continue rather than reverse.
I couldn't find any data that says the electricity consumption in Germany decreased over the past few years, other than this junk quoted from the CIA World Factbook.

EIA requires us to pay for their data, so I might need the sauce please.

Quote:
Rest assured that if there should ever be the risk of shortages, the power-down of the nuclear plants would rather be delayed than blacking out anyone ... in fact, for the time being, one large nuclear plant is supposed to remain on cold standby for some time, to make sure there's a fallback plan just in case.
Then what about the activists?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-05-31, 04:45   Link #13942
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Afghan leader tells NATO attacks on homes "not allowed"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74U0RP20110531

Sri Lanka video shows executions, abuse of corpses
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-31-10-47-34

Last edited by ganbaru; 2011-05-31 at 10:26.
Old 2011-05-31, 12:06   Link #13943
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japanese Seniors Offer to Help Clean Up Fukushima

Brave, but sensible, too.

Quote:
Volunteering to take the place of younger workers at the power station is not brave, Mr Yamada says, but logical.

"I am 72 and on average I probably have 13 to 15 years left to live," he says.

"Even if I were exposed to radiation, cancer could take 20 or 30 years or longer to develop. Therefore us older ones have less chance of getting cancer."
Or, more accurately, if they develop cancers they're likely to die from natural causes before the cancers become serious.
Old 2011-05-31, 12:34   Link #13944
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

is Vexx volunteering?
Old 2011-05-31, 13:19   Link #13945
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is Vexx volunteering?
He doesn't fall in the same demographic: he can still expect 30 to 40 years!
Old 2011-05-31, 13:57   Link #13946
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not there yet, either!
Old 2011-05-31, 14:03   Link #13947
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Heh me too!
Old 2011-05-31, 14:07   Link #13948
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Japanese Seniors Offer to Help Clean Up Fukushima

Brave, but sensible, too.

Or, more accurately, if they develop cancers they're likely to die from natural causes before the cancers become serious.
He's right that it's the rational thing to do. But fear of radiation isn't rational, so yeah. It is quite, quite brave.
Old 2011-05-31, 20:24   Link #13949
killer3000ad

WHO: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk
Quote:
A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-05-31 at 20:45.
Old 2011-05-31, 20:40   Link #13950
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is Vexx volunteering?
Actually... I'd certainly volunteer if there were some protocol for it (can't even find a good protocol for a foreigner doing basic volunteer work). I'm assuming that they'll have reasonable precautions (suits, decontam, etc).

I'm just not scared of radiation... its not some mysterious booga bogey. (as i say half-seriously, yes, I actually used to do "rocket science"). But yeah, someone in their 60s/70s would be a better candidate (and there's a fair number of those in excellent shape).
Old 2011-05-31, 21:55   Link #13951
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually... I'd certainly volunteer if there were some protocol for it (can't even find a good protocol for a foreigner doing basic volunteer work). I'm assuming that they'll have reasonable precautions (suits, decontam, etc).

I'm just not scared of radiation... its not some mysterious booga bogey. (as i say half-seriously, yes, I actually used to do "rocket science"). But yeah, someone in their 60s/70s would be a better candidate (and there's a fair number of those in excellent shape).
So you are supporting Seiji to go in?

Actually I don't mind going in too, who knows, maybe my daughter in the future will be able to generate an electric current through her body, and use nickel coins as railgun ammunition.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-05-31, 22:25   Link #13952
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually I don't mind going in too, who knows, maybe my daughter in the future will be able to generate an electric current through her body, and use nickel coins as railgun ammunition.
Could only work if you can still have a daughter, given the more probable impact of the radioactivity on your body...
Old 2011-05-31, 23:02   Link #13953
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... Turning into a giant green muscleman? Doesn't sound so bad...
Old 2011-05-31, 23:22   Link #13954
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Given Vexx-jiji's apparent career history, I figured he picked up Homer Simpson-level immunity to radiation somewhere along the line.

Old 2011-06-01, 06:17   Link #13955
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Turning into a giant green muscleman? Doesn't sound so bad...
I would say than it sound less bad than to be aroud one...

About 200 "launch cross-border attack" on Pakistan post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7H11JB20110601
Old 2011-06-01, 08:10   Link #13956
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
I couldn't find any data that says the electricity consumption in Germany decreased over the past few years, other than this junk quoted from the CIA World Factbook.

Germany's population isn't really growing, and it's not particularly industrialising either. In fact most of the western worlds energy use per capita has had low growth the past few years.

Not only that but the area around Germany and Denmark's coastlines have high windspeeds, which Germany has been heavily investing in. Not only that, but it's not like there's any competing land uses offshore. Even onshore wind turbines don't occupy much space.
Old 2011-06-01, 08:27   Link #13957
Mentar
Banned

Quote:

Well, the official source is in German, unfortunately..., but you might still be read and understand the graphs within.

The power consumption dropped by over 5% in 2009 alone (last year with official numbers, though recent 2010 projections showed a mild uptick). In any case, serious power efficiency efforts can make a serious dent in consumption. Look at the fuel consumption over the last 15 years, it has effectively been halved.

Quote:
They'll be free to demonstrate outside, like before ^_^;
Old 2011-06-01, 10:32   Link #13958
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The power consumption dropped by over 5% in 2009 alone (last year with official numbers, though recent 2010 projections showed a mild uptick).
I'd guess the recession had as much to do with that as any growth in conservation efforts. Look how energy consumption by US industry and consumers fell after 2008. Residential and commercial usage hardly budged. You still need to heat and cool your home or store.
Old 2011-06-01, 11:48   Link #13959
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd guess the recession had as much to do with that as any growth in conservation efforts. Look how energy consumption by US industry and consumers fell after 2008. Residential and commercial usage hardly budged. You still need to heat and cool your home or store.
Germany wasn't as hard hit by the recession though, Germany has been making big efforts in this area, and has the industrial and academic expertise to do so.

We're talking about one of the world's leading industrial powers here, only other country that can match Germany is Japan.

The push that Germany has been making in recent years towards renewables has been quite impressive, especially considering it doesn't have the obvious resources other countries do.
Old 2011-06-01, 11:57   Link #13960
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Syria uses pro-regime gunmen to crush protests
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-26-12-04-06
It look like the same methode are used both in Libya and Syria.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international