AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 01:25   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Sword Art Online - Weekly Episode-to-Novel Comparison Thread [Spoilers Aplenty]

As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the novel readers are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the SAO Novel-Readers: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow novel-reader is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:13   Link #2
sky black swordman

Spoiler for On Ep 3:
Old 2012-07-22, 03:16   Link #3
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Alright then, time to set sail with the comparisons.

Episode 3:

My initial impression from comparing the novel and animation was that the anime version felt overly rushed. That seems to be the complaint of the month for Sword Art Online, but I actually stood by the producers on episode 1 and 2.

Volume 2's Red-Nosed Reindeer chapter starts with Kirito training almost suicidally for the upcoming Christmas event. He's grinding ants. Klein catches Kirito while he's leaving from his training session. They discuss the resurrection item during this scene. Klein's intention was to revive a friend of his that had been killed. He was also concerned for Kirito's recently suicidal actions as well though.

This was reduced to one line by Argo in the anime commenting on how he's been being risky with leveling. That was just a show of Kirito's guilt for Sachi's death, so I'm not too sad about it being left out. Argo's scene wasn't really put into much detail for the novel. It just happened to come along in the conversation after Kirito's ant training session.

Kanpai! Well, Kirito did have to save the Black Cats before they could celebrate it happening. Kirito saves them from a group of goblins in the novels. He holds back while doing so to front an appearance that hides his true strength. They celebrate afterwards, but there wasn't much mention of a pub setting.

The pub was probably just a convenient place to have the Black Cats invite Kirito. Most of the introduction and explanation was the same. They wanted Sachi to convert, explanation about their rl relationships, etc. So onto Kirito buffing up the Black Cats.

Kirito strengthened them very similarly to the way he did in the anime. That little picnic scene with discussion about clearing motives happened. He also snuck out to level when he wasn't with the Black Cats, and that was the origin of Klein's wolf battle scene. Our fun anime episode 3 didn't have time to mention when the Black Cat training program started sinking though.

Sachi's panic attacks in the anime were explored with less context in the anime. The light novel has Kirito explaining that Sachi couldn't hold against the pressure of being a forward. She didn't have the guts to face tough enemies face to face so to speak. That doesn't get any easier for her with the quickly increasing level of the Black Cats though. She cracks eventually, and then she runs off to under the city drains like in the anime.

Kirito comforts her with words of protection. However, he only stayed at the side of her bed to comfort her during the nights.
"We never slept in the same bed together."
YOU DON'T BELONG in bed with Kirito, SACHI!

And now we move on to the scene of Sachi's inevitable death.

Let's go explore a dungeon! They actually didn't just rush into the chest without consulting Kirito about his warning. His desire to keep his true level of strength and knowledge secret kept him from answering that it was probably a trap. So everyone gets slaughtered.

Those deaths were honestly the part I enjoyed the most this episode. I have this strange desire to have the thief getting picked to death turned into a gif. In relation to my digression though, the deaths weren't quite as detailed in the novel. Kirito reduced it to an ordering of the deaths. The thief, the macer, and then the lancer. Sachi of course died the tragic last death.

Kirito's guilt didn't end there. Keita suicided like in the anime. Happy flying! So then Kirito goes emo. He goes into berserk training as mentioned in the beginning on ants. Skip to Nicholas.

Nicholas happened as the anime portrayed it mostly. Klein trailed Kirito, and the Divine Dragon Alliance trailed them with about 3x their party. Kirito's strangely-timed "shut up" was because he was thinking that Nick would be spouting some boss encounter dialogue before proceeding to battle. We only are told that Kirito's health dropped to red for the first time since the real game started in the Nick encounter.

Kirito gets the item and moves on. He goes into a fit because of the 10 second condition. After that, he meets up with Klein outside. The Divine Dragon Alliance backed off because Klein being the badass he is dueled a Dragon Alliance member for kill attempt rights.

Preceeding everything she said and sang in the anime, one more rationale was about to why Sachi was cracking. A friend of hers in another guild had died playing it safe.

and then after singing with words (I actually didn't mind it just being humming much)....
" To me, you'll always be like a bright star that shines and guides me from the opposite end of a dark alley."

Arigato, Sayounara. (just like the anime!)
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:22   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The irony of ep3 for me is that I found it to be a decent 'adaption of the source material.'

I sound like a broken record at this point, but like I said before, this episode wasn't something that I felt should've been animated chronologically.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:31   Link #5
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The irony of ep3 for me is that I found it to be a decent 'adaption of the source material.'

I sound like a broken record at this point, but like I said before, this episode wasn't something that I felt should've been animated chronologically.
I agree with on this because there are too many SS .
If the whole Aincrad Arc alone was getting 24-26 episode's (Assuming we get that many) for the whole Aincrad Arc alone it could be done in chronologically no problem and it would stay more true to the LN and some fans would not complain as much or at all.
But its not its only getting 24-26 episode's only 12 or 13.
Old 2012-07-22, 06:11   Link #6
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

good adaptation of the LN but cant say i enjoyed it. never did enjoy RnR, the next few episodes will be nicer though
Old 2012-07-22, 08:12   Link #7
Ray
Garnet

So now that we have this thread, does it mean that we should keep comparisons to the Light Novel in the episode discussion threads to a minimum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Kirito comforts her with words of protection. However, he only stayed at the side of her bed to comfort her during the nights.
"We never slept in the same bed together."
YOU DON'T BELONG in bed with Kirito, SACHI!
Great post, trinitem.

Even if they slept in the same bed together, I think it was more of how one sleeps in the same bed with a younger sibling to comfort them than how one sleeps with a (potential) lover.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 12:56   Link #8
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...actually, this was a pretty decent ep. I agree with Nighty on adapting RNR, but I have a feeling the studio wants to get the sidestories outta the way to focus on taking down EvilGamer!Togusa.

As for humming, I have a feeling the actress can't sing in English, and the narmful engrish would have ruined the scene, so they went with humming. Off the top of my head, I think only,MIQ/MIO, TWO-MIX, Utada and Akino can sing in English...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 13:02   Link #9
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
As for humming, I have a feeling the actress can't sing in English, and the narmful engrish would have ruined the scene, so they went with humming. Off the top of my head, I think only,MIQ/MIO, TWO-MIX, Utada and Akino can sing in English...
One of the posted linked a video where she was singing in Engrish, and it was just so adorable!
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 14:20   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
...actually, this was a pretty decent ep. I agree with Nighty on adapting RNR, but I have a feeling the studio wants to get the sidestories outta the way to focus on taking down EvilGamer!Togusa.

She can sing in english, one of the poster had the correct reason. if She sings instead of hum, they have to paid her more.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:41   Link #11
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
One of the posted linked a video where she was singing in Engrish, and it was just so adorable!
Guess I'll have to look for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
She can sing in english, one of the poster had the correct reason. if She sings instead of hum, they have to paid her more.

Well... You gotta save budget somewhere

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:07   Link #12
justsomeguy

Episode 3 was not bad per se, it's just not as dramatic or emotional as it could have been. Sachi and and rest of the Black Cats would have made more of an impression if the adapters had been willing to go for two episodes instead. And there's always the issue of going from a story written in first person (and in this case, a flashback) to an anime, where Kirito isn't quite as introspective since the internal monologues are minimalized.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:55   Link #13
sky black swordman

^
Quote:
if the adapters had been willing to go for two episodes instead
Like I said it before it would be nice but they cant there are not enough episodes for this.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:51   Link #14
Starlightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ Like I said it before it would be nice but they cant there are not enough episodes for this.
I deleted my previous post since it's not really fitted with weekly episode to novel discussion. However, seeing you are talking about anime length, I have this question then - why aren't there enough episodes for this? It's true they might not have enough episode if they are going to put Aincrad into one cour (which seems to be what they are doing), but that wasn't the only option right? Putting Aincrad to 1.5 cour (15-16 eps) or full 2 cour (22-24 eps depends on materials) would have given them enough room for all the SS and the main story as well. The anime is 2 cour after all.
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 06:55   Link #15
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
I deleted my previous post since it's not really fitted with weekly episode to novel discussion. However, seeing you are talking about anime length, I have this question then - why aren't there enough episodes for this? It's true they might not have enough episode if they are going to put Aincrad into one cour (which seems to be what they are doing), but that wasn't the only option right? Putting Aincrad to 1.5 cour (15-16 eps) or full 2 cour (22-24 eps depends on materials) would have given them enough room for all the SS and the main story as well. The anime is 2 cour after all.
2 cour including ALO.

Granted, you could make the argument that the second story arc could be shorter in favour for a longer Aincrad, but that is a matter of personal taste.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 07:10   Link #16
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
Look the Aincrad is the longest Arc of the SAO series, I am not counting the Alicization Arc which is the true longest. Look what they are trying to put in a course of only 12-13 Episode's Vol 1 ,vol 2, Aria in the Starless Night and maybe A Murder Case in the Area .
If it was just vols 1 and 2 then the anime would be done it way that would leave fans a bit more happy with it.

Yes it looks like that was not an option.

If the the Aincrad alone was given a full 2 courses with a total of 22-24 then yes the Arc would in a way that make complaining fans happy.
If it Aincrad then certain SS would get 2 Episode's instead of one which from the looks of they will.
There maybe a few changes but over all the it would be done right.

But we are not . We are instead to 2 Arc's and a few SS in to 24- 25 Episodes.
This is the way I see it , 12 -13 episodes for vol 1 and 2 plus a few SS and the other 12-13 episode's for vols 3 and 4.
Old 2012-07-23, 07:27   Link #17
justsomeguy

Since Aincrad is the longest then why are we assuming that the writers will split it evenly with ALO? (Or why did they if we already know for sure?) They could very easily have split up to 15+9 and maintained good pacing.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 07:45   Link #18
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Since Aincrad is the longest then why are we assuming that the writers will split it evenly with ALO? (Or why did they if we already know for sure?) They could very easily have split up to 15+9 and maintained good pacing.
This is a guess estimate of Episode's we may get. I dont know if we will get 24-26 total and a 12 -13 episode per course.
We are assuming because thats the way it is starting to look and even before the anime aired we assumed that was the way it was going to go. 12 or 13 for Aincrad and 12 or 13 for ALO.

A split of 15+9 may work but we dont know for sure . There is a good chance that many would complain about the ALO Arc being done wrong.
Old 2012-07-23, 07:55   Link #19
Raviel

Does anyone else think episode 3 would have been received much better had the producers bothered to stick with the sequencing of events in RnR?

For example:

1. Opening scene shows Kirito leveling and meeting Klein

2. They talk a bit as a call back to episode 2, then Klein asks if the incident with the Black Cats is still bothering him

3. Kirito leaves then the flashback with the Black Cats starts

4. Scene shifts to Kirito getting ready to fight the Christmas boss

5. Everything else happens as shown in the episode

All of this with a bit of narration on Kirito's part of course.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:29   Link #20
kazzuya13

The only bad thing is that they didn't include Sachi's dialogue that she compared Kirito to red nose raindeer and that made me almost teary eyed and they cut it.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote