AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-01-21, 15:17   Link #1
Yakult

So what career are you aiming for?

For those of us that who are still young, what career are you aiming for? A high paying one? Or is it one that you want to specialize in for fun and interest? Write your thoughts (: and for the people who are majoring or in a certain field, write about your experiences :P

Personally, I'm trying to aim for a high paying job since I believe money brings happiness is some aspects. However, I'm planning to major in Biochemistry as that hooks my interest alot (: but sometimes I think about surgeons and their huge pay and think "Hmm... maybe I should think again..." o_o This site says that they're the #1 in salary which makes me rethink my interests... but do I really want to open corpes? I think I'd end up barfing on the patient x_x

And of course, this all comes with a hell of alot of study! (:
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 15:25   Link #2
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
working on my business adm. degree right now. Just finished 2-year college and am about to transfer . After I get my degree, I plan on moving back to Japan......since I lived there for about a year and loved it.....(to get a working visa you need a bachelor's degree)......
Old 2006-01-21, 19:56   Link #3
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

I've applied to the universities that I want to attend and I plan to major in Biomedical Engineering, because it intrigues me and I want to be able to make a lot of money. Skill-wise, my visual/spatial and memorization abilities are top-knotch, and I love to take organic things apart (and put them back together again to make them work better and if they don't, oh well, into the incinerator they go ). My future career should be something that I enjoy, can make plenty of money off of, and neverending in development. Go biomed! All your pension check are belong to me!
... No, I'm kidding; I want to go into biomed because I want to improve the quality of people's lives.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 22:12   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Weeee a nice fun topic. For me, i'm trying to get a associates degree in General Engineering. Then from there i'll go get my Bachelor in probably Industial or Mechnical Engineering. I would like to also get a degree in NanoTechnology, Robotics, and then maybe in/or Stem-Cell Technology or Research.

What a high future huh? but what i hope to be doing in the future is to become involved between Nanotechnology/Robotics/Stem-Cell. If you mix all three, you get " The Study of Energy, its Creation and Manipulations". Let's break the law of thermodynamics. Let's start getting perpetual energy. This goal seems impossible. It'll be like running into a wall. hahahah ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 23:14   Link #5
HoboGod
Necromancer

I can't relate to most of you guys that are looking for a career in money. I just want to be an underpayed novelist that gains reconition after death. Capitalism is for the corrupt, let them make the money. For that reason, it pisses me off when I say "I'm an english major" and people say "Oh, are you going to be a teacher?"
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 00:05   Link #6
Yakult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
I can't relate to most of you guys that are looking for a career in money. I just want to be an underpayed novelist that gains reconition after death. Capitalism is for the corrupt, let them make the money. For that reason, it pisses me off when I say "I'm an english major" and people say "Oh, are you going to be a teacher?"
I agree on what you say. Money does make some people corrupt! However it's how life is About being an English major, I thought of it too since book writing can get recognition ^^ But then I rethought and said to myself "Hmm... I really want to help people and make money at the same time! Maybe even get famous!" so I thought of things related to sciences instead D: Sure books can help people mentally but I thought that people with physical disabilities need major help too which is why I thought about being a biochemist and maybe even get into Pharmaceutical Chemistry one day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
Weeee a nice fun topic. For me, i'm trying to get a associates degree in General Engineering. Then from there i'll go get my Bachelor in probably Industial or Mechnical Engineering. I would like to also get a degree in NanoTechnology, Robotics, and then maybe in/or Stem-Cell Technology or Research.

What a high future huh? but what i hope to be doing in the future is to become involved between Nanotechnology/Robotics/Stem-Cell. If you mix all three, you get " The Study of Energy, its Creation and Manipulations". Let's break the law of thermodynamics. Let's start getting perpetual energy. This goal seems impossible. It'll be like running into a wall. hahahah ^_^
Wow! Alot of things you plan to do :P Hope you can keep up with it all though :O And nanotechnology does sound pretty interesting but robotics doesn't really spark my interest :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie
working on my business adm. degree right now. Just finished 2-year college and am about to transfer . After I get my degree, I plan on moving back to Japan......since I lived there for about a year and loved it.....(to get a working visa you need a bachelor's degree)......
I'm not really knowledgable and wish to know about these kind of things, but would countries besides the one that you've acquired your degree in value your degree? Like for example: If you got your degree in America and moved to Japan, would finding a job be easy? Or would most places rather hire people who went to college in Japan? Again, just wondering since I don't know ^^ Not taking a stab or anything (I read my own post and I thought it was a bit offensive D: )
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 00:16   Link #7
shiro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult
A high paying one? Or is it one that you want to specialize in for fun and interest?
It is difficult to have the best of both worlds. Unless you are lucky and Lady Luck smiles on you.

Currently waiting to finish my comp sci degree, just started semester 2 T_T. Let's hope I am lucky...
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 03:07   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Personally, I'm trying to aim for a high paying job since I believe money brings happiness is some aspects.
I'm not sure how old you are, but I will tell you that I have found this to not be true for me. I'm a computer engineer and I make a pretty decent salary for a starting engineer (around $70K/year). Making all this money doesn't make me happy one bit though. I just need enough money to feel financially secure, and the rest of it just kind of sits there. In fact, not only money, but I have also found that even success in the workplace has not made me very happy either. I think I'm just weird.

Right now I am a microprocessor architect and software engineer. I used to love this stuff at first, but due to a lot of things that happened to me over the course of the past year, it doesn't interest me nearly as much as it used to. I'm considering staying in school and working toward a PhD in neuroscience (I've already sent in my application for next Fall), but I'm not entirely sure. But if I do pursue this field, I either want to be designing simulators of real neural networks and biochemical reactions to be used for preliminary drug testing, or designing neuralprosthetic devices that can interface with the human brain and produce an output signal to do things such as control a TV or computer screen (this has already been done).

On the side, I'm also thinking about publishing a novel that I am writing, since I found out about a year and a half ago that I (surprisingly) have a talent for writing fiction and I also enjoy it. Or I could be a game designer, since that's what I do in most of my spare time these days.

Honestly, I'm 23 years old and have never been more unsure about what career I want to pursue. Sometimes I wish I was narrow-minded so I could choose one thing and stick with it, but I like doing so many different things that I get overhwhelmed at the amount of choices I have open to me in this period of my life. Eh, I supposed I'm already an old man to most of you kids.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 04:07   Link #9
Cruzz
Europeon

I want a job I can get. Getting a job that I actually like and which pays decently is very much a secondary concern. Unfortunately, my already limited choices are rapidly decreasing as time goes on. It's not easy being equally bad at everything.

Currently working on a master of sciences degree in chemistry, but it isn't really what I expected.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 04:51   Link #10
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

I'm currently finishing BA in Psychology, though likely that will not be the field I work in ^^; Instead, I plan to continue my coursework in Anthropology and assist one of my professors in his research on cultural anomalies.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 07:12   Link #11
Gray
imma make u want me...=)

Send a message via MSN to Gray
=)

i wanna be a novelist. i love the way u can control the world in writing
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 07:36   Link #12
lai

I work in a videogame store, the money is awful. But I’m able to pay rent, have fun nights out and get the things I want. The people I work with are great, I’ve never met a better bunch of people and that’s all I need. I don’t need to justify my existence by how many digits are in my account.

I’m only 20 so I’ll get a better job when I grow up.
lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 08:37   Link #13
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lai
I work in a videogame store, the money is awful. But I’m able to pay rent, have fun nights out and get the things I want. The people I work with are great, I’ve never met a better bunch of people and that’s all I need. I don’t need to justify my existence by how many digits are in my account.

I’m only 20 so I’ll get a better job when I grow up.
or you can always go back to school and get a degree
Old 2006-01-22, 08:50   Link #14
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Well for me, next year entering university and I've chosen as a first choice digital arts communication specialization (I really like doing digital media) and if not, then my second choice backs me up, going into engineering phsyics before specializing in photonics engineering.

Looking forward to it.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 09:14   Link #15
Ending

I will be graduating in a year or two as a MA and industrial economist, so hopefully I will get a job from a bank or some design-oriented company. Perhaps start a consulting-service of my own too. That would make me a banker, consult, designer, and entrepreneur. Have all the options open, really.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 13:55   Link #16
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Quote:
...sometimes I think about surgeons and their huge pay and think "Hmm... maybe I should think again..." o_o This site says that they're the #1 in salary which makes me rethink my interests... but do I really want to open corpes? I think I'd end up barfing on the patient x_x

And of course, this all comes with a hell of alot of study! (:
That website doesn't factor in malpractice premiums for medical doctors, I hope you know. I'm studying to become a FP, and in NY state, I expect my income to be roughly 60k after malpractice and taxes.

My two cents... do what you enjoy... and do your homework on what the job really pays and what it's tradeoff is. Just letting you guys know, you don't necessarily need a masters/doctorate degree to make $100k or more, there are several blue collar jobs that make a heck alot of money. NYC, I know that tunnel construction workers make $100k/yr starting salary (one of NYC's most dangerous jobs though). Nassau county police officers (outside of NYC), they make $90-120k after 5yrs on the force, 55k start. Nassau teachers in the affluent school districts make roughly $75-100k. Some stage hands in the Met Opera house makes $100-300k. If you're really gutsy, you can work as a deck crew for the Alaskan king crab season. That's the most dangerous job in the world, but pays $80-100k in 1 week.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 14:02   Link #17
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Im doing my A2's at the moment, i have applied to Universtities for Civil and Structural Engineering (hope being a structrual engineer is as fun as it is in Prision Break =D ), i have 4 offers atm havent choosen which UNI i want to go to yet,

Hope to do the full 4 year course and become chartered, and also get my hand into some Property and development.

I enjoy structures and have been to do work for engineering companies, and i enjoyed it.

Many biological based career's are well payed and there is that satisfaction of helping people, but lots of hard work

Last edited by JanthraX^; 2006-01-22 at 14:23.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 16:44   Link #18
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Im torn on this one I am in my last year of highschool and I have been messing around in almost all PC digital media programs (Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, 3DsMax 8, FireWorks, dreamweaver and finally Fireworks) and I can really like using them all and I cannot chosse any becuase most of them lead to different fields of Digital Media editing so I really have no I dea what I should do anyone have any suggestions ?
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 16:46   Link #19
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
I want to be a mammogram machine.

Last edited by Komataguri; 2006-01-23 at 18:01.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 17:30   Link #20
DaFool
Resident devil

I feel even older than Roots -_-

I've been working for almost 2 years as an assistant IT at an animation company. By February the company *may* be closing down, so I don't know what I'll be doing. Time to look for a new job, yeah! Before that I was linux technical support. Hard to believe considering I studied non of the stuff I am / was doing day to day...most of it came because of my hobbies. I almost was a B.S. Computer Engineering, but courses didn't tally so just got a vanilla Electrical Engineering degree.

I have not used any of the stuff I busted my @ss over for 4.5 years...namely, designing microprocessor architecture. It's the other things I did plus the rest is on-the-job. I actually used to dream to be able to work in the Intel fabrication plant in the province, but then I met the guy who used to have the position I once applied for, he was a good man but due to stress he looked terrible! He used to stay overnight all the time just to teleconference with the design engineers in Israel. Well I stay overnight too...but at least I have time to surf and check out forums ^_^.

I am seriously contemplating putting up my own business. It's not a career per se, but at least the job security's entirely mine. That's the only thing to do if no one's hiring.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-01-23 at 17:40.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote