AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-02-21, 22:11   Link #81
FeDeR

Lol may be actually u can look ending of 16th episode to see , but it was opened clearly on that page and u know taiga hav lots of Kitamura pics) so i donno) I'm confused @_@"
FeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 22:20   Link #82
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Yeah, when they open it up there's a picture of Kitamura. I think the one from the school festival. But then they notice another picture below that, and before anyone can see it Ami takes the planner thing away and says she'll give it back to Taiga. I think the general consensus of the speculation as to what that second picture might be, is that it's one of Ryuji and Taiga. Ami took it away before anyone saw it because Minori was there. And since the whole thing with Taiga fighting with Sumire should have shown Minori where Taiga's feelings stand, she walks by and makes that comment about guilt.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 12:34   Link #83
puppygod

Yup. Sorry. I thought the question is about the _second_ photo. The first one is of course Taiga and Kitamura dancing.
puppygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 18:06   Link #84
nojay
Scanlator

Omake/special episode?

Is there a thread or discussion on the omake/special episode from the ToraDora R2 DVD set that's, ahem, circulating?
Old 2009-02-28, 22:14   Link #85
Raiga
tl;dr

I might have missed something, but why exactly does Kihara call Kitamura "Maruo?"
Old 2009-02-28, 22:32   Link #86
typhonsentra

It's an anime character from a series called "Chibi Maruko-chan" who he apparently looks like. Funny thing is this Maruo is now probably more popular than the character he's nicknamed after.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 05:49   Link #87
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Funny thing is this Maruo is now probably more popular than the character he's nicknamed after.
Perhaps in this forum, but certainly not in Japan

Chibi Maruko-chan - January 7, 1990 – September 27, 1992 - 142 episodes
Chibi Maruko-chan 2 - January 08, 1995 – ongoing - 704 episodes

The second series has an average rating of 14% (Fuji TV 6pm to 6:30pm)

Quote:
Sueo Maruo :

Maruo is one of Maruko’s classmates and serves as the male class president. He has very thick glasses because he is a very serious student and studies very hard every day; black lines appear on his face nearly all of the time, especially when he seems euphoric. He is paranoid that his classmates are seeking to replace him as male class president and will target classmates that stand out and do well to discourage them from running against him. His birthday is December 31st, thus giving rise to his name.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 09:25   Link #88
typhonsentra

Guess I stand corrected.
Old 2009-03-01, 09:50   Link #89
Tsukuyomii

Anime-Novel Question:

Spoiler for Anime ep3, Novel vol2:
Tsukuyomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 10:00   Link #90
typhonsentra

Yeah, 3 and 4 are both filler with brief allusions to some material at the end of book 1 (Ep. 4, Kitamura's background with Taiga) and a small scene at the beginning of book 2 ( Ep. 3, Moruze!).
Old 2009-03-01, 11:00   Link #91
Tsukuyomii

Quote:
Yeah, 3 and 4 are both filler with brief allusions to some material at the end of book 1 (Ep. 4, Kitamura's background with Taiga) and a small scene at the beginning of book 2 ( Ep. 3, Moruze!).
I see... thanks!

Is there somewhere a list of differences between the novel and the anime?
I saw that the novel is filled with tiny (but very important) details that the anime ignored...
Tsukuyomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 11:30   Link #92
typhonsentra

There's small stuff here and there.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-01, 12:19   Link #93
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
It's an anime character from a series called "Chibi Maruko-chan" who he apparently looks like. Funny thing is this Maruo is now probably more popular than the character he's nicknamed after.
Ooooh cool thanks.

Do they ever explain this in the novels or the anime or is it just assumed that Japanese viewers would get the reference?
Old 2009-03-01, 12:22   Link #94
typhonsentra

They briefly mention he's nick-named after the character and why when it first comes up. Check out the books sometime, they're very good.
Old 2009-03-26, 11:27   Link #95
prnoct90

So now that the series if over, I'm going to ask the same questions I asked a while ago. Does the anime follow the last light novel all they way up to the end. PLEASE NO SPOILERS!
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 11:32   Link #96
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its not really a matter of "accepting foreigners" its more a matter of they get nervous around foreigners... they *know* how their own social network responds and foreigners are less predictable or, worse, don't know the etiquette. They're also often terrified of having to use their English if the foreigner doesn't speak any Japanese. Someone who has spent time outside of "the Body" is going to behave and act "like a round peg fitting into a square hole", sometimes they can put the mask back on, sometimes not.

And yeah... maybe 1% of Japan is "Christian" and even then that's somewhat wishful thinking on the part of outside Christians since many take a Shinto view and just absorb in with their Shinto and Buddhist practices.

I'll have to go back and take a closer look at the novels in original Japanese after this is over and see if I can pick up references to Taiga that imply her background.
There's no mention of the mother's nationality or even her name in volume 10 by the way.

However, according to the author, the original plan since Toradora became a series was to have Taiga return to the US with her mother (then come back). So, perhaps?
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 11:41   Link #97
typhonsentra

Is that from a recent interview? Did she talk about other ideas for the story she decided to change or leave unsaid?
Old 2009-03-26, 11:42   Link #98
roan

Quote:
Is that from a recent interview? Did she talk about other ideas for the story she decided to change or leave unsaid?
Yeah.
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/147/147956/
She also mentioned a bunch of rewrites for volume 6 involving the introduction of a new character that ended up being deleted from existence for the final manuscript.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 12:20   Link #99
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
soo since it's a question topic I'm gonna ask something xDD

some guy know where the anime ended in the light novel?
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 12:53   Link #100
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The anime ended with the happenings of the last novel, volume 10.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a