Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-14, 05:02   Link #241
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
^See this. A blessing in disguise, this series doesn't need such as a stupidly cliché moment.
I saw lolis taking a shower together in another series not even two weeks ago. But apparently, it only went into effect on July 1st? I thought that was already the case since April...
Old 2011-07-14, 09:29   Link #242
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Question then, how the hell is Manyuu getting broadcasted? :|
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 11:51   Link #243
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, Claude is 17 years old. He's not a fully formed human being. Some of the rough edges of his personality will naturally be smoothed out with experience and patience. Right now he's impatient with anyone who doesn't see things the way he sees them and conform to his world view. He'll come to realize that from a business standpoint, it doesn't matter how good you are with iron if you can't schmooze the customer. And that's a lesson Oscar will help teach him.

As for Yune, well - I didn't have an issue with the way he dealt with her watching him work. He's got no siblings, apparently, and no experience in dealing with younger kids. He's used to working uninterrupted, as Oscar apparently has no interest in the artisan side of the business. So you have a child inside his personal space, and one from a completely different culture at that. He didn't seem especially harsh - just his usual directness - in asking her to find something else to do. And then, with the benefit of a little time to consider, he took her shopping so she would have a chance to experience Paris a little.

I just think a little context paints Claude in a better light. He's a good kid.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 14:32   Link #244
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
^See this. A blessing in disguise, this series doesn't need such as a stupidly cliché moment.

Cliché?
It's a truth that before the years 1955 and the reconstruction, showers (douche as we say) weren't present in France, and bath were something for rich people.

Well good episode, I think it's going to be a 12 episodes?
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 14:40   Link #245
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Cliché?
It's a truth that before the years 1955 and the reconstruction, showers (douche as we say) weren't present in France, and bath were something for rich people.

13 eps and an extra ep on the DVD (BD?) release in November iirc....
Old 2011-07-14, 14:43   Link #246
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Cliché?

I believe the cliche is the guy walking in on the girl changing, showering, whatever.
You know the old inappropriate and untimely entrance
Old 2011-07-14, 14:54   Link #247
Zakoo

oh my bad, that.

True true, it never happened to me
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 15:19   Link #248
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Question then, how the hell is Manyuu getting broadcasted? :|
Simple, it's censored as hell. It's basically supernatural light: the anime.
Old 2011-07-14, 19:21   Link #249
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for Newtype:
Old 2011-07-14, 19:43   Link #250
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Cliché?
Said scene was also trying to convey the above point about the difference in culture in regards to water usage.

Maybe we can differ to Monseuir Romain to see if he is able to tell us if they are going for a full faithful adaption of the manga or perhaps there is going to be some divergence.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 19:45   Link #251
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for Newtype:
goddamn, so hng.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 09:38   Link #252
ploky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

The above scene from the manga will most likely be cutted from the animation due to recent events in Japan.

But I love the attention paid to historical facts to even the smallest details. Notice how Yune's undergarment is just a piece of cloth wrapped around the waist, which is true for the Japanese during that period in time.
Spoiler for Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, episode 3:
ploky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 12:53   Link #253
TrueKnight

Hmm ep 2, its obvious they’re deviating from the manga. Nevertheless its still a darn good ep. Loved the Paris scenery and the interaction between Claude and Yune. They looked so cute together lol. Claude being a bit jerk but it’s not that bad, at least not at bad as in ep 1. He’s still grumpy and all but he cared and being considerate to Yune all the time. After all those travel across the sea he wanted Yune to enjoy herself instead being robot standing/helping in the store the whole day. With Yune’s attitude trying so hard not to be a burden finally made Claude asking her out instead and in the end she was really enjoying herself.

But damn Claude’s 17, he’s still a kid. Now thats young especially when your inheriting a troubled business while taking care your entire household at the same time. Lucky him to have Yune.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 15:05   Link #254
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Hmm ep 2, its obvious they’re deviating from the manga. Nevertheless its still a darn good ep. Loved the Paris scenery and the interaction between Claude and Yune. They looked so cute together lol. Claude being a bit jerk but it’s not that bad, at least not at bad as in ep 1. He’s still grumpy and all but he cared and being considerate to Yune all the time. After all those travel across the sea he wanted Yune to enjoy herself instead being robot standing/helping in the store the whole day. With Yune’s attitude trying so hard not to be a burden finally made Claude asking her out instead and in the end she was really enjoying herself.

But damn Claude’s 17, he’s still a kid. Now thats young especially when your inheriting a troubled business while taking care your entire household at the same time. Lucky him to have Yune.
It's not that young. Life expectancy was lower and people were expected to learn a trade or marry earlier.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 16:28   Link #255
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You know, Claude is 17 years old. He's not a fully formed human being. Some of the rough edges of his personality will naturally be smoothed out with experience and patience. Right now he's impatient with anyone who doesn't see things the way he sees them and conform to his world view.
All well and good. I never said he was always going to be the same as he is right now, though I think you should remember that Claude had been doing this trade for some time now, even taking care of the store while Oscar was away in Japan. So at this point, the experience he had didn't seem to smooth those rough edges of his.
Quote:
He'll come to realize that from a business standpoint, it doesn't matter how good you are with iron if you can't schmooze the customer. And that's a lesson Oscar will help teach him.
This is apparent to us as the viewers that this is the logical route the story will take after this episode events, but I can predict that this is a lesson he will learn by himself from Yune, not from Oscar, since his Grandfather has taken a very lax manner in regards to both business and teaching Claude to not have such a hostile personality.
Quote:
As for Yune, well - I didn't have an issue with the way he dealt with her watching him work. He's got no siblings, apparently, and no experience in dealing with younger kids. He's used to working uninterrupted, as Oscar apparently has no interest in the artisan side of the business. So you have a child inside his personal space, and one from a completely different culture at that. He didn't seem especially harsh - just his usual directness - in asking her to find something else to do. And then, with the benefit of a little time to consider, he took her shopping so she would have a chance to experience Paris a little.
I can understand the reasons for why he didn't want her being around him at the time. I had no problem with that.

The problem is that he failed to explain it in a gentler manner. Yune misunderstood what his intention was and thought she was a bother to him (which he didn't mean at all).

I will say that him trying to patch it up by taking her outside was, I thought, genuinely considerate. The guy is good deep down, but has a hard time showing it.
Quote:
I just think a little context paints Claude in a better light. He's a good kid.
I don't think anyone said he wasn't. But how much of a good kid he is wont matter if he comes across as being a jerk.

Myself, I don't intend to paint Claude in a negative light nor put him outside context of his situations. But the thing is, his mannerism is harsh most of the time, to many people, that it opens him to being misunderstood.

Being blunt, direct, clear is all well and fine but that doesn't mean I should ignore his poor communication skills.
Old 2011-07-15, 16:54   Link #256
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And I just think you're being way too hard on him. I don't especially think he comes off as a jerk at all. But that's me - everyone perceives these things differently.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 04:13   Link #257
ThomasRomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
@Thomas
Can you explain how difficult and long to make Genga of such a detailed background in this anime?
And I wonder if this project involving a lot of young/new animator to give them some experience like some studio doing for some works.
Sorry for the late answer!
How difficult and long... It was not so difficult considering the fact that we (the three french guys in Satelight) have a good experience in layout drawings now and that we worked with a lot of documents for this project. I find it way more difficult to work on SF productions where we need to come up with original designs for everything. (We are working right now for the next big SF series Aquarion Evol, and it's way more difficult than Croisee).
But it is long, that's true. For one complex BG cut, we need almost one full day. First we look for reference pictures mainly with the help of internet. But we had also some precious books of galeries or old postal cards. But because Paris hasn't changed much in one hundred years, google street view, for example, was very helpful. Then we draw a rough sketch, placing the camera and composing the picture into the frame. Then comes the longest part : drawing the picture with all the details, sometimes on several layers that we assemble later on photoshop. All the shop names etc... are added on photoshop too. And that's only the background layout work! Then comes the painting which was made by the backgroung studio, and that takes even more time. I think they did a tremendous job. I personnaly loved working on the project because for the first time in my carreer I had the chance to draw Paris, where I lived when I was a child. I used my memories to find nice reference spots for the layouts.

To explain a little bit more the process : we (Stan, Yann and myself) are working for nearly all the satelight's productions now, as designers. Depending on the project our implication is more or less important. For Basquash, we did ALL the layouts and backgrounds. For Ikokumeiro no croisee, we worked only maybe 2 weeks a month during a few months to do only the key backgrounds and the main designs. In the same time we worked on other titles (Air gear OVA, Macross F feature, Persona 2 OP movie...).

Another important thing to know about Croisee: the production started early and we had enough time to work with a high level of quality. Before the first episode was broadcasted, all the episodes were already finished, which is quite a rare situation. Sometimes when you see poor quality episodes, it is often not a budget problem, but more a schedule problem. Even if the staff is not so good, the core staff redraw and correct a lot of stuff, unless the don't have enough time until the broadcast. But for croisee, the quality will be great until the end because the production scheduling was good, thanks to our sponsors who willingly wanted to give us time to achieve a good quality (this is not always like that).

About the young animators. I can't answer that. In fact we work in a different bulding than the animators so we are not in contact. I honestly don't know.The character designer and main animator was clearly not a rookie, but they worked with younger animators too.
ThomasRomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 14:23   Link #258
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRomain View Post
Sorry for the late answer!
How difficult and long... It was not so difficult considering the fact that we (the three french guys in Satelight) have a good experience in layout drawings now and that we worked with a lot of documents for this project. I find it way more difficult to work on SF productions where we need to come up with original designs for everything. (We are working right now for the next big SF series Aquarion Evol, and it's way more difficult than Croisee).
But it is long, that's true. For one complex BG cut, we need almost one full day. First we look for reference pictures mainly with the help of internet. But we had also some precious books of galeries or old postal cards. But because Paris hasn't changed much in one hundred years, google street view, for example, was very helpful. Then we draw a rough sketch, placing the camera and composing the picture into the frame. Then comes the longest part : drawing the picture with all the details, sometimes on several layers that we assemble later on photoshop. All the shop names etc... are added on photoshop too. And that's only the background layout work! Then comes the painting which was made by the backgroung studio, and that takes even more time. I think they did a tremendous job. I personnaly loved working on the project because for the first time in my carreer I had the chance to draw Paris, where I lived when I was a child. I used my memories to find nice reference spots for the layouts.

To explain a little bit more the process : we (Stan, Yann and myself) are working for nearly all the satelight's productions now, as designers. Depending on the project our implication is more or less important. For Basquash, we did ALL the layouts and backgrounds. For Ikokumeiro no croisee, we worked only maybe 2 weeks a month during a few months to do only the key backgrounds and the main designs. In the same time we worked on other titles (Air gear OVA, Macross F feature, Persona 2 OP movie...).

Another important thing to know about Croisee: the production started early and we had enough time to work with a high level of quality. Before the first episode was broadcasted, all the episodes were already finished, which is quite a rare situation. Sometimes when you see poor quality episodes, it is often not a budget problem, but more a schedule problem. Even if the staff is not so good, the core staff redraw and correct a lot of stuff, unless the don't have enough time until the broadcast. But for croisee, the quality will be great until the end because the production scheduling was good, thanks to our sponsors who willingly wanted to give us time to achieve a good quality (this is not always like that).

About the young animators. I can't answer that. In fact we work in a different bulding than the animators so we are not in contact. I honestly don't know.The character designer and main animator was clearly not a rookie, but they worked with younger animators too.
Thank you for your long reply!

The quality of the background images in the anime is truly one of the most beautiful I have seen, and I think you have done an excellent job reproducing the original artist's considerable skill.

Many thanks!
Old 2011-07-17, 21:40   Link #259
Kirarakim

I think episode 3 was my favorite so far. I love how Claude and Yune's relationship is growing.

And Claude might come off a bit gruff but he is definitely no jerk. Actually I found him pretty darn sweet in this episode, so was Yune. The whole episode I was going awwww, especially towards the end. Darn I am already shipping them even though Yune looks so young next to Claude.

Spoiler for episode 3:

Spoiler for episode 3 continued:

Spoiler for teaser:
Old 2011-07-17, 22:40   Link #260
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Spoiler for episode 3:
Spoiler for non-anime material (not actual plot information... this may not even count as a spoiler. I'm just playing it safe.):
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life