AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-08, 12:08   Link #1081
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Saunders may be stereotypically American, but it's a very Japanese-flavored Americanness (of course). Rather Fourze-like. I guess I have to take into account that it's technically a military school, but it doesn't quite match up with what I think of when American high schools come to mind in the way it's structured. I am glad Kei's being played like a Charlotte Yeager kind of American - friendly, laid-back, just a little trigger happy. It's a stereotype of Americans I'm mostly okay with.
Which is interesting because the German stereotypes are portrayed by... heh, Japanese.

Oorai's match after Saunders would be against the Italians. It looks mostly like a joke fight, which is yet another stereotype.

Seeing how Oorai will eventually match against Pravda, will Pravda tankers consume large portions of vodka before the match? Or have backup tanks the tankers can run to when they ram initial vehicles into the opposition?

- Tak (No German was harmed during the making of this presentation)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-11-08 at 12:23.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 12:36   Link #1082
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
The more facts I read, the more I see why Ooarai is disadvantaged and why most schools will probably not take them seriously at first. Better tactics and being underestimated are probably the only aces Team Ooarai has now.

Oh well its fun to root for the underdog anyway.
Since more teams are watching their match, Ooarai won't have the surprise card for too much longer. It won't matter against Anzio, but Pravda is going to be a tough match. In fact, that match should be much tougher than this one.

Quote:
Saunders may be stereotypically American, but it's a very Japanese-flavored Americanness (of course). Rather Fourze-like. I guess I have to take into account that it's technically a military school, but it doesn't quite match up with what I think of when American high schools come to mind in the way it's structured. I am glad Kei's being played like a Charlotte Yeager kind of American - friendly, laid-back, just a little trigger happy. It's a stereotype of Americans I'm mostly okay with.
The fun thing is that the show itself says that Saunders is doing a good job of Americanishness! So we have a bunch of characters acting like Japanese versions of American stereotypes because they're Japanese girls pretending to act like American ones. I can't recall the last time I watched such an understated piece of metafiction.

Quote:
Now, we have Saunders hunting Oorai, and two of the teams have been newly named Rabbit and Duck. I can only see a very looney outcome with this set of variables in play.
The Ooarai tanks are:

Pz. IV = Ankou = Anglerfish
Type 89 = Ahiru = Duck
StuG III = Kaba = Hippo
M3 Lee = Usagi = Rabbit
38(t) = Tama = Turtle

I have to like the M3's choice the most. Not only is it a wicked looking avatar, but it has two knives (for obvious reasons ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
By the way, Pravda are the current champions right? So why aren't they seeded, as usually expected in tournaments like this?
It's a highschool tournament, so there might not be any formal seeding, but the favorites are probably Pravda, Saunders, St. Gloriana and Black Forest. They would have been the four semi-finalists as well, provided there isn't an upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oorai's vehicles from the start were as outdated and outclassed as they could get. But you know what, at least some of those vehicles can actually give Oorai a fighting chance. The Type 89 is none of that. It cannot stand up to anything, period. The vehicle itself is more of a burden than benefit.

You know, even underdogs tend to have a chance. Unfortunately, the Type 89 doesn't give you that chance, and only serve to make a bad situation worse. I am not even sure if it could even serve as an effective roadblock.

- Tak
I agree. This show has been doing a lot more showing and a lot less telling than I expected. Repainting the tanks in this episodes is a very good example of demonstrating the importance of camo schemes, and I imagine that the Type 89 has a similar purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Also, something most interesting dug up from the official giveout page: Primers for Oarai, featuring character sheets, including their favorite tanks.
The first-years seem to have the best taste in tanks. I get the feeling that this list is a list of the staff members' favorite tanks. The lack of Soviet tanks (save the KV-2) is disappointing since they had the most flavorful tanks of the entire war .

Quote:
Seeing how Oorai will eventually match against Pravda, will Pravda tankers consume large portions of vodka before the match? Or have backup tanks the tankers can run to when they ram initial vehicles into the opposition?
Superior intelligence, brutality and ruthlessness. Just look at Katyusha's character design - isn't that exactly what you'd expect from her?
Old 2012-11-08, 12:45   Link #1083
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Superior intelligence, brutality and ruthlessness. Just look at Katyusha's character design - isn't that exactly what you'd expect from her?
Exactly, I can see how she managed to give Maho a hard time. But I am waiting to see how Soviet operation ruthlessness will be demonstrated in the upcoming match. Again, I am half hoping half expecting a situation vis-a-vis Kursk, where Soviet tankers would ram their vehicles into German lines, take off, pull another tank from behind the lines, rinse & repeat.

And I certainly hope Oorai would get some midseason upgrade by that point.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-11-08, 12:50   Link #1084
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
The Ooarai tanks are:

Pz. IV = Ankou = Anglerfish
Type 89 = Ahiru = Duck
StuG III = Kaba = Hippo
M3 Lee = Usagi = Rabbit
38(t) = Tama = Turtle

I have to like the M3's choice the most. Not only is it a wicked looking avatar, but it has two knives (for obvious reasons ).
Not quite what I was going for when I phrased it that way, but alright. And I suppose the animals make it easier to identify teams in ways other than "the main characters", "the first years", etc.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 13:03   Link #1085
Marina2

By the way, if Oorai can beat Pravda, doesn't that mean they beat champion before the final match??

Not only it will make everyone acknowledge Oorai name, but Nishizumi (as Miho's family) and Blackforest will also get their (indirect ) revenge on Pravda.

Maho must be proud of Miho. (Maho: Now, that's my sister!!!)
Old 2012-11-08, 13:13   Link #1086
4Tran

Quote:
Exactly, I can see how she managed to give Maho a hard time. But I am waiting to see how Soviet operation ruthlessness will be demonstrated in the upcoming match. Again, I am half hoping half expecting a situation vis-a-vis Kursk, where Soviet tankers would ram their vehicles into German lines, take off, pull another tank from behind the lines, rinse & repeat.
On the tactical level, when advancing on a German position, Soviet forces would fully expect their first tank or two to be taken out. And they'd use that to their advantage to knockout the German defenders in turn. Casualties suffered by the first echelons don't matter enough as long as they manage to break through German lines and force them to overly commit their reserves. Since once that happens, the secondary Soviet echelons can pour through the hole to get into German rear areas and utterly annihilate entire formations without having to fight them head on.

These methods are best exemplified in Operations Bagartion and August Storm. One of the most important elements to achieve this operational success is the proper employment of maskirovka, but I don't know if that will make it into the anime.

Quote:
And I certainly hope Oorai would get some midseason upgrade by that point.

- Tak
They're going to need one if they going up against an IS-2. Not even the Germans had a very good answer for that. But they didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the Pz. IV's busted gun, so I don't know if they will.

Quote:
Not quite what I was going for when I phrased it that way, but alright. And I suppose the animals make it easier to identify teams in ways other than "the main characters", "the first years", etc.
I know - I wanted to talk about the rabbit avatar. What season is it anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
By the way, if Oorai can beat Pravda, doesn't that mean they beat champion before the final match??

Not only it will make everyone acknowledge Oorai name, but Nishizumi (as Miho's family) and Blackforest will also get their (indirect ) revenge on Pravda.

The setup makes a lot of sense if you think of the point of the show being to have Miho go up against Maho as the climax. If they wanted to set up Pravda as the final boss, they'd be more than a throwaway line by this point.
Old 2012-11-08, 13:58   Link #1087
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

We've had the Panzers, now for the Girls:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post

Why do I think that seeing Maho go back to her softer self (in the Little Army manga) while simultaneously being tsundere to Miho so moe?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 14:27   Link #1088
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Why do I think that seeing Maho go back to her softer self (in the Little Army manga) while simultaneously being tsundere to Miho so moe?
Manga? Where might I find this?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 14:38   Link #1089
Tak

So I suddenly have this strange belief that Miho screwed up what could have been Black Forest's 10th consecutive win not due to incompetence. Rather, something tell me it was Erika who created a situation that led to Miho's downfall so she can assume the position of vice Captain due to her jealousy of Miho's position and her relationship with Maho

Now Erika... I don't know much about her yet, but I am guessing she has a clingy attitude towards Maho. We just haven't seen it yet.

Of course, this is all guesswork.

- Tak

Old 2012-11-08, 16:34   Link #1090
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:

Images

she appeared in the manga? that chapter (I've seen 4)
Old 2012-11-08, 16:42   Link #1091
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
she appeared in the manga? that chapter (I've seen 4)
Maho appears in chapter 2 of Little Army, and she looks much gentler compared to the sharp-eyed Maho in the anime, likely a reflection of how times had changed.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 17:15   Link #1092
00Coyote

Quote:
Images
Continuing with the theme of girls.
Images
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 18:07   Link #1093
Random Wanderer

Quote:
I know - I wanted to talk about the rabbit avatar. What season is it anyways?
It's rabbit duck rabbit duck rabbit season.

Quote:
Maho appears in chapter 2 of Little Army, and she looks much gentler compared to the sharp-eyed Maho in the anime, likely a reflection of how times had changed.
There's another manga for this thing? These people need to rein it in more.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 18:11   Link #1094
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Manga? Where might I find this?
Umm... there are currently 2 manga for girls und panzer. One is like the adaptation of the anime but from yukari pov called girls und panzer. And the other is like a prequel detailing Miho's past called girls und panzer-little army. I think its already up on the usual sites.
But, here is the download version from /ak/:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xoxc62r3d6he9

This is the latest version of girls und panzer chapter 5
http://www.mediafire.com/?tayz0f9fwzray0h

This is the latest version of little army
Chapter III
http://www.mediafire.com/?0z0dg44swldm4nr
Chapter V
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 18:11   Link #1095
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
*listening to a rip of the Enter Enter Mission single*

Enter Enter Mission full version is such a joy to hear. But the song I'm listening to the most is the other track, whose title I have yet to know. It's a song about tanks with each of the girls singing in turn with their own stanza before singing in chorus at the end (Mako and Yukari singing is a joy to behold ). Incidentally, it's the same song used in the early Girls Und Panzer PV's.

Also, something most interesting dug up from the official giveout page: Primers for Oarai, featuring character sheets, including their favorite tanks.

Images

Some interesting things of note:

- President Anzu likes, of all things the T28 (aka T95) Super Heavy Tank WoT players will recognize this as the moving, impenetrable wall of death.
- Many of the girls love their American tanks, with the M36 being a popular choice, and even the M47 Patton.
- Erwin likes the Jagdpanther. Fine taste in tank indeed.
So Cesar really is the leader despite Erwin being the tank commander?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 18:27   Link #1096
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So Cesar really is the leader despite Erwin being the tank commander?
Cesar was in the planning meetings.

I think is an ideal combination, Cesar with the strategical plannig and Rommel with the tactical leading
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 19:01   Link #1097
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Umm... there are currently 2 manga for girls und panzer. One is like the adaptation of the anime but from yukari pov called girls und panzer. And the other is like a prequel detailing Miho's past called girls und panzer-little army. I think its already up on the usual sites.
But, here is the download version from /ak/:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xoxc62r3d6he9

This is the latest version of girls und panzer chapter 5
http://www.mediafire.com/?tayz0f9fwzray0h

This is the latest version of little army
Chapter III
Chapter V
2 manga? I read in a site but the second would be this one? thank you

EDIT:

is the same as the manga site, I deceive ^^"
Old 2012-11-08, 19:42   Link #1098
fukarming

Here is a theory regarding Miho, Maho and last year's battle:

The German team is surrounded, but Maho commands is to "stand your ground" because "Nishizumi do not run away" (Battle of Stalingrad). Miho decides to retreat anyway because of the situation. At the end because Maho stays and Miho retreats, the force is separated thus the German team lose. Erica and Maho blames Miho for the loss even though, from a neutral perspective (Yukari), Miho's decision is correct.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 19:43   Link #1099
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Here is a theory regarding Miho, Maho and last year's battle:

The German team is surrounded, but Maho commands is to "stand your ground" because "Nishizumi do not run away" (Battle of Stalingrad). Miho decides to retreat anyway because of the situation. At the end because Maho stays and Miho retreats, the force is separated thus the German team lose. Erica and Maho blames Miho for the loss even though, from a neutral perspective (Yukari), Miho's decision is correct.
Offers insufficient explanation for Miho's trauma.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 19:43   Link #1100
PzIVf3

Spoiler for Rabbit Logo:

Quote:
And I certainly hope Oorai would get some midseason upgrade by that point
Quote:
They're going to need one if they going up against an IS-2. Not even the Germans had a very good answer for that. But they didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the Pz. IV's busted gun, so I don't know if they will.
The mechanical teams upgrading the PzIVD upgraded to PzIVD/H
Spoiler for Manga:

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2012-11-08 at 19:56.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks