AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-30, 17:26   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Parasite Eve spin-off "The 3rd Birthday" (Square Enix, PSP, TPP Action RPG)

Anyone else looking forward to this title? The E3 2010 teaser trailer got me all worked up, totally!

I swear to the hells, this game will make me buy a PSP. This game alone.

I've already got it worked out, to buy the PSP, play this game, send it to my Metal Gear-head friend so he can play MGS Peacewalker, then have him send it back so I can sell it.

I'm annoyed with Square-Enix on one hand, because I was hoping that they'd release a proper Parasite Eve title on the PS3/360 (and really hoping, but not expecting, a PC port of said title).

I'm also annoyed with Square-Enix that this did not get released for mobile like it was originally intended. If it had, it would be on the iPhone/iPod touch in North America, and since I've got my eye on a 32GB touch... you get the idea.

But on the other hand, I'm just very excited to see something that isn't Final Fantasy derived come out of Square Enix's Japanese game studios. I've always loved the Parasite Eve series, despite the games having more than their fair share of flaws, I still love them today.

Related: Anyone else think, at the end of that video (with all the lovely Clothing Damage), Aya looks... really, really moe?

But still... rather badass... as she hefts the M4 carbine?

Edit: I do apologize for the lack of general information, but Square Enix has been rather tight-lipped about what goes on in this game. Aya's Parasite Energy hasn't been spoken of, and the only thing we can really gather from the video and SE's T3B page is the Overdrive System, which apparently functions in a similar manner to the Agents from The Matrix...

Should give us some cool gameplay, though!

(Here's hoping they bring back Yoko Shimomura to do the soundtrack, I liked hers a lot better than Naoshi Mizuta's work on PE2.)

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-07-01 at 14:15. Reason: title clarification
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 11:05   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Aya is back! Yeah!
Old 2010-07-02, 12:14   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I think this thread isn't getting any love because most of the fans think T3B is actually Parasite Eve 3 (when Square Enix has repeatedly said "it's not.")

It's a third-person shooter spinoff for the PSP, probably released with the intent to gauge consumer interest in an actual Parasite Eve title for the PS3.

So do your part and buy this game, so we can get moar Aya.
Old 2010-07-02, 19:29   Link #4
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I don't know what parasite eve is.

And I don't much care. At least it isn't another Final Fantasy; that's all I have to say. I may very well pick it up so long it isn't a direct sequel (i.e: Direct sequel that doesn't involve me playing the first game or so to understand what's going on.)

Regardless, the graphics are beautiful.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 19:50   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's a third-person shooter spinoff for the PSP, probably released with the intent to gauge consumer interest in an actual Parasite Eve title for the PS3.
Wrong, they can't call it Parasite Eve because they don't have the rights to anymore.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 23:57   Link #6
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Did the author of the original book take it back or something?
Old 2010-07-03, 00:20   Link #7
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Wrong, they can't call it Parasite Eve because they don't have the rights to anymore.
Karma isn't it? it's rather amusing when you think about it with how Squenix handled the copyrights to Xenogears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
And I don't much care. At least it isn't another Final Fantasy; that's all I have to say. I may very well pick it up so long it isn't a direct sequel (i.e: Direct sequel that doesn't involve me playing the first game or so to understand what's going on.)
Science without borders occurs a bunch of times, mutant mitochondria evolution gives people wizard like powers that can combust people, and Aya's own cells adapt agianist it effectively giving her immortality. That's it in a nutshell, anything more you'd have to play PE1 or read/watch a letsplay, PE2 can be mostly ignored story-wise but arguably its probably the better one (not that PE1 is inferior, both are just vastly different form one another and I'd not bother to go into comparisons).
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 01:20   Link #8
ShinGundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
Karma isn't it? it's rather amusing when you think about it with how Squenix handled the copyrights to Xenogears.
Yeah, because SquareEnix still holds rights to the Xenogears title :\
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 02:27   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Wait, really? Sources please. I think i remember Parasite Eve wasn't in the title because the enemies weren't Mitochondrial creatures in this game.
Old 2010-07-03, 04:26   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I've always loved the Parasite Eve series, despite the games having more than their fair share of flaws, I still love them today.
Me too.

Just played part 2 not too long ago.

Really looking forward for more info on this.
Old 2010-07-03, 15:04   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Wait, really? Sources please. I think i remember Parasite Eve wasn't in the title because the enemies weren't Mitochondrial creatures in this game.
The games were (very, very loosely) based on a horror novel by Hideki Sena, titled Parasite Eve. It's possible that they only had the rights for a limited period of time or that the original rights holder decided to cut off the relationship.

It doesn't really matter that much, since almost nothing of the Parasite Eve games has anything to do with the novel.
Old 2010-07-04, 00:49   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
The games were (very, very loosely) based on a horror novel by Hideki Sena, titled Parasite Eve. It's possible that they only had the rights for a limited period of time or that the original rights holder decided to cut off the relationship.

It doesn't really matter that much, since almost nothing of the Parasite Eve games has anything to do with the novel.
Spoiler for Reply and novel ending:
Old 2010-07-04, 05:25   Link #13
Zekori

Quote:
Spoiler for Reply and novel ending:
Spoiler for Novel/PE1:

Personally I want to know when PE3 takes place. I haven't found any sources about it that doesn't reflect outdated information from when it was planned for the mobile phone. I want to say from the trailer it takes place before PE1 and PE2, explaining how NMC hunters got around to being former or why Aya sealed her powers (outside of just an excuse plot for why you start from scratch in PE2). But that sounds to logical, and this is square-enix we're dealing with they have a tendency to go down bat**** illogical with their story scripts.
Old 2010-07-04, 06:47   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
Spoiler for Novel/PE1:

Personally I want to know when PE3 takes place. I haven't found any sources about it that doesn't reflect outdated information from when it was planned for the mobile phone. I want to say from the trailer it takes place before PE1 and PE2, explaining how NMC hunters got around to being former or why Aya sealed her powers (outside of just an excuse plot for why you start from scratch in PE2). But that sounds to logical, and this is square-enix we're dealing with they have a tendency to go down bat**** illogical with their story scripts.
Actaully this takes place after PE2 since Kyle Madingan is also in the game.
Old 2010-07-04, 13:44   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

T3B takes place in 2012, so it's quite a bit after PE2. Aya is supposed to be 25 in the original game, and in T3B she's 40. (but looks 20, yay neo-mitochondria!)
Old 2010-07-04, 15:20   Link #16
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
T3B takes place in 2012, so it's quite a bit after PE2. Aya is supposed to be 25 in the original game, and in T3B she's 40. (but looks 20, yay neo-mitochondria!)
Oh my goodness 40 years old!? WOW...

I never played the original games but now I'm kinda curious about a few things. Can Aya have children even though she's kind of...non-human anymore? Although in the interviews Square said they'd try to capture a mature/older woman's thinking...I really pray to GOD they do. I would NOT be convinced at all if she acts like a sexy 20 year old while she's actually 40...it would kind of turn me off. I actually think she would be a really interesting character is she's 40 and still looks like 20. She would probably be a lot more sexually open, a cougar but a young looking cougar (which is probably why she'd dressed like a hot chick right now). I'd imagine something like Cinderella from Fables comics.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 23:56   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

She's not really dressed so much like a hot chick as the cutscene employed creative Clothing Damage.
Old 2010-07-05, 01:31   Link #18
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Her jeans are so ripped they don't even look like she's wearing anything. Her tank top is pretty skimpy in my opinion, or I'm just that conservative since I live in a cold climate.

I mean I'm fine with women showing skin, but there's a difference between showing skin for sex and showing skin for style.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 09:34   Link #19
Zekori

Quote:
Actaully this takes place after PE2 since Kyle Madingan is also in the game.
Quote:
Oh nice. Guess that means they went with the good ending as canon.

And yeah, Aya is pretty much the same normal human with the exception of a mitochondria evolutionary step in order for her to survive. Which just happen to give her immortality by not aging, and a few other perks in the form of generic RPG magic...which can be inferior to say oh, a grenade launcher.
Old 2010-07-05, 18:20   Link #20
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

LOL seriously she's 40 now ! She must have a regen skill like Tsunade

Anyway , *nostalgic* i remember (not all ) PE1 and 2 , there were so great !
The first things which came to my mind , the Theater's part , the little creepy baby , the insane tower with very difficult enemies (damn cockroachs)
Well , i didn't played it but my bro yes , i was a kid and i loved watching it ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e3 2010, parasite eve, psp, square enix, the 3rd birthday