AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-31, 02:57   Link #2101
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

We could say all 4 are currently quite on equal standings for the #2 spot.
Old 2012-08-31, 03:00   Link #2102
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Asuna is NO. 1, NO. 2 and NO. 3, especially since Kirito will get killed by the hrr cooking knife if he showed any romantic interest in anyone else.
Old 2012-08-31, 03:21   Link #2103
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
Asuna is NO. 1, NO. 2 and NO. 3, especially since Kirito will get killed by the hrr cooking knife if he showed any romantic interest in anyone else.
So everything short of romance is allow? Got it

COMPROMISING ADOLESCENT RELATIONSHIP!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 03:29   Link #2104
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Sword Art Online is all about Kirito and Asuna... V-a-n-i-l-l-a
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:30   Link #2105
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

I'm thinking "There is but one ultimate way" again...

C'mon guys, let's just let Kirito have EVERYONE, yes?

Last edited by ronelm2000; 2012-08-31 at 07:47.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 08:11   Link #2106
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I'm thinking "There is but one ultimate way" again...

C'mon guys, let's just let Kirito have EVERYONE, yes?
Nope, sorry, but I hate harems...must be because I got so sick of working through so many series with harem aspects that I worked on Unicorn, and even that has a love triangle of sorts...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 08:19   Link #2107
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Nope, sorry, but I hate harems...
This. Why bother with harems when you can have good ol' romance? Kirito x Asuna or gtfo. ;p
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 08:34   Link #2108
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

I prefer harem though since it has more possibilities unlike couple story which only holds little possibilities. Besides there are already many couple-themed stories already, harem-themed stories just got popular recently so keep making a couple-themed stories would look monotone.
Old 2012-08-31, 08:48   Link #2109
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
This. Why bother with harems when you can have good ol' romance? Kirito x Asuna or gtfo. ;p
Iyaiyaiyaiya... I'm in no way shape or form discuraging the main couple. I was saying Kirito x Asuna as main couple and Kirito x Everyone Else as others...

@The_Ping

Condolences for eventually coming to hate harems. I don't know if I ever get tired of 'em though.
Old 2012-08-31, 08:58   Link #2110
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
I prefer harem though since it has more possibilities unlike couple story which only holds little possibilities. Besides there are already many couple-themed stories already, harem-themed stories just got popular recently so keep making a couple-themed stories would look monotone.
Possibilities? Sure, that's important in stories wherein romance is important. However, what ever happened to Love Triangles, Squares, and Polygons? Did people suddenly forget they exist, and overwrote those sub genres with "harems"? In terms of romance, couple themed stories > harem themed stories.

Monotone? Seriously? No. Even the most cliche and generic story can be good if it's written and executed well. By that logic, yes, harem themed stories can also be good. And yes, that's true, as long as the harem doesn't get in the way of romance, since those two things usually go hand in hand.

And as for harem stories becoming popular as of late, well, that just says a lot about the interests of readers nowadays. Thankfully, though, that seems to mostly apply to stories coming out of Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Iyaiyaiyaiya... I'm in no way shape or form discuraging the main couple. I was saying Kirito x Asuna as main couple and Kirito x Everyone Else as others...
Oh, I know. I just fucking hate harems. :P
Old 2012-08-31, 09:32   Link #2111
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
We could say all 4 are currently quite on equal standings for the #2 spot.
Not that I care much for shipping (and the pairing is settled with AsunaxKirito as OTP already), but wouldn't Sinon theoretically be #2 in terms of the number of intimate moments she shared with Kirito? There were quite a number of those.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:32   Link #2112
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Possibilities? Sure, that's important in stories wherein romance is important. However, what ever happened to Love Triangles, Squares, and Polygons? Did people suddenly forget they exist, and overwrote those sub genres with "harems"? In terms of romance, couple themed stories > harem themed stories.

Monotone? Seriously? No. Even the most cliche and generic story can be good if it's written and executed well. By that logic, yes, harem themed stories can also be good. And yes, that's true, as long as the harem doesn't get in the way of romance, since those two things usually go hand in hand.

And as for harem stories becoming popular as of late, well, that just says a lot about the interests of readers nowadays. Thankfully, though, that seems to mostly apply to stories coming out of Japan.

Oh, I know. I just fucking hate harems. :P
Well to me it's kind of boring to see just a romance of a pair of couple while the other girls watch them in envy. Also SAO isn't one of those harem-themed stories in which the harem gets in the way of the romance. So in SAO's case I think harem is completely fine. And of course we're talking about harem becoming more and more popular recently on Japan's anime stories context.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:41   Link #2113
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Not that I care much for shipping (and the pairing is settled with AsunaxKirito as OTP already), but wouldn't Sinon theoretically be #2 in terms of the number of intimate moments she shared with Kirito? There were quite a number of those.
They where intimate moments, but never romantic. She also doesn't love Kirito like the others do.

I think Lisbeth or Suguha is number #2. Lisbeth and Suguha because Kirito knows they love(ed) him and Suguha knows Kirito the best and had two volumes to deal with her love situation.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:51   Link #2114
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Well to me it's kind of boring to see just a romance of a pair of couple while the other girls watch them in envy.
For a romance to be believable it has to be between just two people, otherwise it comes across as fanservice or comic relief.

And the others girls don't need to watch with envy, they just need to give up and move on, as any reasonable person would in such a situation. The thing with Lisbeth, for instance, gave me that sort feeling.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:57   Link #2115
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
For a romance to be believable it has to be between just two people, otherwise it comes across as fanservice or comic relief.

And the others girls don't need to watch with envy, they just need to give up and move on, as any reasonable person would in such a situation. The thing with Lisbeth, for instance, gave me that sort feeling.
In anime or LN stories, romance doesn't have to be believable because it's up to the writer on how will he make the story. Besides if it was me(in Lizbeth's case) I won't give up on Kirito since he's the one who changes me, also Lizbeth did give up and step back once(SAO arc) because she feels Asuna needs him way more than her. After SAO arc ended they started competing for him in healthy manner so I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:59   Link #2116
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

As much as I still have a soft spot for a good harem, why can't the author just create a new pairing for the other girls?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 10:17   Link #2117
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As much as I still have a soft spot for a good harem, why can't the author just create a new pairing for the other girls?
Yeah.... *thinking of Sugu x Klein* /shot
Old 2012-08-31, 10:18   Link #2118
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Also SAO isn't one of those harem-themed stories in which the harem gets in the way of the romance. So in SAO's case I think harem is completely fine. And of course we're talking about harem becoming more and more popular recently on Japan's anime stories context.
Eh, it was for a volume or two, yes. Most of the girls gave up on him after they found out that he has Asuna. Not to mention the lovey-dovey moments Asuna and Kirito shared in the Aincrad arc. Which are also prevalent in Alicization, the last major arc in the series.

Yes, and that's because it seems that a lot of otaku enjoy the idea of being surrounded and loved by loads of beautiful girls.

Quote:
In anime or LN stories, romance doesn't have to be believable because it's up to the writer on how will he make the story. Besides if it was me(in Lizbeth's case) I won't give up on Kirito since he's the one who changes me, also Lizbeth did give up and step back once(SAO arc) because she feels Asuna needs him way more than her. After SAO arc ended they started competing for him in healthy manner so I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
And why doesn't it? A believable romance is, 9 times out 10, a good one. Of course, execution also matters. We shouldn't excuse poorly written and/or executed romances just because it's "anime"/"light novels"/from Japan.

Yeah, they're fighting a losing battle, wherein the outcome has already been determined.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:28   Link #2119
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Eh, it was for a volume or two, yes. Most of the girls gave up on him after they found out that he has Asuna. Not to mention the lovey-dovey moments Asuna and Kirito shared in the Aincrad arc. Which are also prevalent in Alicization, the last major arc in the series.

Yes, and that's because it seems that a lot of otaku enjoy the idea of being surrounded and loved by loads of beautiful girls.

I don't think Alicization is the last major arc yet though
Quote:
And why doesn't it? A believable romance is, 9 times out 10, a good one. Of course, execution also matters. We shouldn't excuse poorly written and/or executed romances just because it's "anime"/"light novels"/from Japan.

Yeah, they're fighting a losing battle, wherein the outcome has already been determined.
Well I watched most of the couple romance anime/LN even from those old ones(call me ancient! mwahahaha ) All in all, the core of the story is the same and if you watch or read those kind of couple romance from the first one up until now, mostly are the same so making harem as a trend nowdays wouldn't be that wrong though.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:33   Link #2120
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
All in all, the core of the story is the same and if you watch or read those kind of couple romance from the first one up until now, mostly are the same so making harem as a trend nowdays wouldn't be that wrong though.
Trends come and go, but good romance will always be good romance, just like crappy romance will remain crappy. ;p

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality