AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-03, 10:37   Link #1461
Wandering Soul

I don't even understand his logic that if Nao wasn't constantly being beaten into a pulp then she's a Mary Sue.
Old 2015-10-03, 11:06   Link #1462
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, Mary Sue/Gary Stu has always been a crappy argument because that term was originated with fan fiction. An actual series can never actaully have one and usage of it is ironically, intellectual laziness , on the part of the critics as much as it is on the author-- it's ultimately just an excuse for character hating. You can't just use a single term for criticism and even if you could, it's more of a symptom of the whole show being completely unable to present conflict in a legitimate fashion rather than to pin it on certain characters. Nerfing Kira/Kirito isn't going to make those shows any better, lol. Is it going to make Soichiro Hoshi be actually able to act? Is it going to add more nuance to the conflicts? Expecting the likes of Kawahara or Maeda to accurately describe grey? lol. Nope. Kirito's not even a bad character in the grand scheme of things. :S

Anyone who disagrees, you can always provide a link to a well-written definition of Mary Sue that isn't overloaded with bias. I am skeptical.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2015-10-03 at 11:21.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 11:23   Link #1463
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, Mary Sue/Gary Stu has always been a crappy argument because that term was originated with fan fiction.
It's true that the term originated with fan fiction, but I nonetheless disagree with the overall gist of your argument.

There are characters that are extremely overpowered and/or made excessively perfect. Such characters can have a variety of negative effects on a work of fiction. One is making conflicts involving the MS/GS far less interesting or suspenseful because the moral dimension of the conflict, as well as the conflict's outcome, is consistently one-sided and/or predictable. Another negative effect is that the MS/GS can make other protagonists seem utterly redundant and/or useless because the MS/GS can often legitimately say "Whatever you can do, I can do better; I can do anything better than you!"

"Gary Stu/Mary Sue" is a good short-hand criticism for such characters, as it more or less conveys what I wrote above without having to actually write it all out like that. "Gary Stu/Mary Sue" is wrongly used sometimes, but that doesn't mean GS/MS is always an invalid criticism. There are fictional characters that really do present the problems I mentioned above. I'd definitely apply the Gary Stu criticism to Mahouka's Tatsuya - He is richly deserving of it, in my view.

The problem is not the GS/MS term itself, its applying it to characters that don't really run afoul of the issues I delved into above. Nao does not in any way, shape, or form have the issues I raised above. SAO Season 1 Kirito did in fact come across to me as overly Gary Stu-esque at times, but thankfully SAO Season 2 Kirito shifted away from that and became a better character because of it.

Finally, the GS/MS has simply evolved from its original fanfic-limited meaning to something much more useful with broader application. That's a positive word evolution, in my view, not something to criticize.
Old 2015-10-03, 11:40   Link #1464
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's true that the term originated with fan fiction, but I nonetheless disagree with the overall gist of your argument.

There are characters that are extremely overpowered and/or made excessively perfect. Such characters can have a variety of negative effects on a work of fiction. One is making conflicts involving the MS/GS far less interesting or suspenseful because the moral dimension of the conflict, as well as the conflict's outcome, is consistently one-sided and/or predictable. Another negative effect is that the MS/GS can make other protagonists seem utterly redundant and/or useless because the MS/GS can often legitimately say "Whatever you can do, I can do better; I can do anything better than you!"

"Gary Stu/Mary Sue" is a good short-hand criticism for such characters, as it more or less conveys what I wrote above without having to actually write it all out like that. "Gary Stu/Mary Sue" is wrongly used sometimes, but that doesn't mean GS/MS is always an invalid criticisms. There are fictional characters that really do present the problems I mentioned above. I'd definitely apply the Gary Stu criticism to Mahouka's Tatsuya - He is richly deserving of it, in my view.

The problem is not the GS/MS term itself, its applying it to characters that don't really run afoul of the issues I delved into above. Nao does not in any way, shape, or form have the issues I raised above. SAO Season 1 Kirito did in fact come across to me as overly Gary Stu-esque at times, but thankfully SAO Season 2 Kirito shifted away from that and became a better character because of it.

Finally, the GS/MS has simply evolved from its original fanfic-limited meaning to something much more useful with broader application. That's a positive word evolution, in my view, not something to criticize.
Well, that's where I find it to be a bit subjective.

First off, if we restrict this connotation to be someone to be simply so overpowered that he/she makes the conflict irrelevant, then it appears to me that it would be restricted to fighting anime or anime that requires violent conflict, even if it's not the center of the story!

Second, it's very much the fault of the story to come up with an inadequate villain to match the hero, I would think. I mean, is Superman never worth watching, unless he's against his own peers or against Darkseid? Sometimes it's refreshing to see chaos happening and to have the hero just come in and literally shit on the villains. Frankly, it's a lost art and appreciation for that kind of stuff is sort of lost but I think a lot of us can remember a lot of those 90s cartoons where the hero would come to save the day in the very end and everything would be alright. Now, if you argue that it's those moments of actual threat that makes people wake up, I won't deny you that, but that goes against the storytelling rather than the character being a dead end. Again, a symptom.

Third, "perfect" is too absolutist of a term, and thus different people draw different lines everywhere. I could argue that Kirito isn't perfect because he has failed, and while you could argue it doesn't help the drama, I think it still takes a more nuanced argument. I have no idea, it's just nothing to really do with why I don't like SAO so i guess I don't really see it.

Finally, your actual argument is more nuanced than just using a term but in these cases I'm still looking at why you draw all these things as a vehicle of criticism. What I don't like is people using their Mary Sue parser as if were an actual argument. What should I say to save myself? It's more of a conclusion than an argument because often times I still go "So what?"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 16:05   Link #1465
eiyuuou

People these days want to see a tragedy befall upon the hero.
Maybe it is the Age of the underdog heroes.
Old 2015-10-03, 17:32   Link #1466
ginger02

That was one rushed ending.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 19:35   Link #1467
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Maybe it is the Age of the underdog heroes.
Tatsuya Shiba and Ainz Ooal Gown beg to disagree.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-03, 20:30   Link #1468
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Tatsuya Shiba and Ainz Ooal Gown beg to disagree.
Nah, it's the age of suffering (and idols).
Just look at how popular Madoka, Monogatari, and Love Live are.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 23:47   Link #1469
XFire
150% done

Damn. I had my doubts about this show at first (dear lord, so many doubts) but the last episode clinched it for me. Definitely worth the wait.

Also, Key anime ended with the main couple happy and together. Is that allowed?
Old 2015-10-06, 01:49   Link #1470
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Damn. I had my doubts about this show at first (dear lord, so many doubts) but the last episode clinched it for me. Definitely worth the wait.

Also, Key anime ended with the main couple happy and together. Is that allowed?
Why do people act as if this is such an unusual thing? Kanon had a happy ending. Clannad had a happy ending. Little Busters had a happy ending. That's literally half of the Key anime out there ending on a perfectly happy note for our heroes. If anything, Charlotte has one of the more depressing endings, what with Yuu ending up an amnesiac and all.
Old 2015-10-11, 07:56   Link #1471
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-27 at 06:24.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 12:22   Link #1472
larethian

^ which mag is this from? I buy some mags ocassionally but i don't remember seeing this spread in any recent ones i bought.

EDIT:
Nvm, I wasn't able to enlarge it from my mobile earlier somehow. Now that I'm home I can see it's a Newtype scan from my desktop.

Last edited by larethian; 2015-10-11 at 14:05.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 12:27   Link #1473
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
can someoen translate what its mean?
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-01, 06:33   Link #1474
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-27 at 05:11.
Old 2015-11-01, 06:49   Link #1475
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Our first bit of real fanservice in this series. (or as close as we'll get, anyway) Misa's a lot more stacked than I expected.....
Old 2015-11-01, 12:43   Link #1476
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I just realized they didn't have a swimsuit episode. Are they going to fix this with the OVA?
Old 2015-11-01, 12:59   Link #1477
Wandering Soul

Didn't expect Misa to be so stacked.
Old 2015-11-01, 13:07   Link #1478
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Why do people act as if this is such an unusual thing? Kanon had a happy ending. Clannad had a happy ending. Little Busters had a happy ending. That's literally half of the Key anime out there ending on a perfectly happy note for our heroes. If anything, Charlotte has one of the more depressing endings, what with Yuu ending up an amnesiac and all.
Good points.

I blame this skewed perception on how "Key = Sad Girl in the Snow" and "Key = Crying Games" has become very popularized in the wider anime fandom. Key anime does tend to be very emotional with some definite sadness in them, but they're honestly more likely to end on a (mostly) happy note than on a (mostly) sad note.
Old 2015-11-01, 13:24   Link #1479
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I just realized they didn't have a swimsuit episode. Are they going to fix this with the OVA?
Potentially, though I think there have certainly been instances where there's been scans featuring the cast of a series in swimsuits even if they never actually wear them in the show proper .
Old 2015-11-29, 03:25   Link #1480
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-27 at 02:12.

Tags
p.a. works, supernatural powers