AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 13
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 69 46.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 32.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 20 13.42%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 4.70%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-04, 21:11   Link #241
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
There's a lot of exp and rare loot to be had from boss fights too, and up until recently, there was always the assumption that if things went south, you could just teleport out.
To add to this, up until recently, Kirito did not have to solo the Floor Boss. Even if he did have to solo a Field Boss, he'd have a RIDICULOUS level margin. (like... say... being lvl 80 when the boss is for lv 40+?). Even in Warmth of the Heart, he always had a Teleport Crystal materialized.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:08   Link #242
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
To add to this, up until recently, Kirito did not have to solo the Floor Boss. Even if he did have to solo a Field Boss, he'd have a RIDICULOUS level margin. (like... say... being lvl 80 when the boss is for lv 40+?). Even in Warmth of the Heart, he always had a Teleport Crystal materialized.
double checked with LN (I'm lazy so I used ctrl+F :P); you guys are all right, his "safety" margin's much larger than I thought. however, this raises another question...

even if experience scaling is linear (such as in older MMOs), organized parties hunting monsters around their own level should be getting more experience and leveling up faster than him. not to mention it is explicitly stated that for guilds like the KoB, officers such as Asuna drive her men really hard. so HOW is Kirito like 10 levels above your average front liner while he seems to spend most of his time wondering around and adding members to his haren

I feel bad for the fodder that got OHKOed by the lvl75 boss lol
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:15   Link #243
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
double checked with LN (I'm lazy so I used ctrl+F :P); you guys are all right, his "safety" margin's much larger than I thought. however, this raises another question...

even if experience scaling is linear (such as in older MMOs), organized parties hunting monsters around their own level should be getting more experience and leveling up faster than him. not to mention it is explicitly stated that for guilds like the KoB, officers such as Asuna drive her men really hard. so HOW is Kirito like 10 levels above your average front liner while he seems to spend most of his time wondering around and adding members to his haren
Subjective time is subjective. In reality, only around 7% (if not less) of the 2 years Kirito was in SAO is actually shown to us, (and the only time we actually see Kirito spending a week away from the frontlines was with Asuna on the 22nd floor) so it is usually implicitly implied that Kirito spends the night leveling up (from RNR) while spending the day scouting at lower floors for materials for equipment.

...while Asuna... she levels up a lot more brutally than Kirito.
Spoiler for All the Aincrad related vols. -- Asuna's style of leveling up:

Quote:
Well, the first fodder wasn't as sympathetic. They were too panicked to move.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:46   Link #244
Vmem

Quote:

...while Asuna... she levels up a lot more brutally than Kirito.
Spoiler for All the Aincrad related vols. -- Asuna's style of leveling up:
While I agree, somehow she's level 94, two levels below Kirito

Spoiler for All the Aincrad related vols. --Kirito's secret:

Quote:
Well, the first fodder wasn't as sympathetic. They were too panicked to move.
Makes you wonder how they ever made it alive and leveled up so much doesn't it lol. you'd think they would know when to dodge on reflex.
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:52   Link #245
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
While I agree, somehow she's level 94, two levels below Kirito
She tends to spend more time in parties than Kirito did; it's possible that experience when partying is divided differently than when you play the game solo.

But in either case... I think the conversation has fallen a bit afar from the actual topic of Episode 13...
Old 2012-10-05, 09:57   Link #246
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Yeah, but some Red Shirts needed to be there to show just how strong this boss is.

For the record, I also attempted a Survivor Title in GW1. It's pretty dang difficult, but obviously not impossible.

Endless "You Died" Soul
Old 2012-10-05, 13:25   Link #247
Krono

Quote:
Makes you wonder how they ever made it alive and leveled up so much doesn't it lol. you'd think they would know when to dodge on reflex.
Being attacked from directly above likely isn't too common in SAO. So they were too surprised to consciously react, and didn't have a reflex for "It's directly above me!". Wouldn't have been that big a deal except the boss was strong enough to one shot even high level players if it lands a direct hit.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 15:00   Link #248
LKK

I ended up giving the episode a 7. Points off due to the fishing scenes. Not because they took time off to give us the fishing story. I rather liked that taste of what a "normal" life could be like in this virtual world. The points off were for the off-character designs. Honestly, some of those faces in the crowds were just wrongly shaped. Poor guys.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 20:08   Link #249
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Being attacked from directly above likely isn't too common in SAO. So they were too surprised to consciously react, and didn't have a reflex for "It's directly above me!". Wouldn't have been that big a deal except the boss was strong enough to one shot even high level players if it lands a direct hit.
Probably also panicking since they knew their crystals didn't work and the door has shut.
Old 2012-10-06, 05:41   Link #250
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Or you know, use those blade blocking skills like the Klein and Agil did, and not stand there like a dumbass at the boss-cleave.
But then again, I've seen plenty of people in WoW at level cap, struggling through heroic instances or entry-level raid finder encounters (I like to call it a loot pinata) and not realize they have an "OH $#!T button" they can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Yeah, but some Red Shirts needed to be there to show just how strong this boss is.

For the record, I also attempted a Survivor Title in GW1. It's pretty dang difficult, but obviously not impossible.
I stopped playing around the time I got the "People Know me" title and capped gold limit.

As for the red shirts, I agree, but I think they still coulda made them look not so.... "hey I got no raid gear and joining this raid when my life is at stake WOOT check me out I'm BOSS" level noobs.
Old 2012-10-06, 07:49   Link #251
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

I think it was probably more panic than anything else. That boss was a freaking horror show.
Old 2012-10-06, 11:33   Link #252
Ray
Garnet

Only got around to watching this episode now, and damn, I loved every bit of it.

Ah, I'm so glad that giant fish boss thing didn't get cut. Kirito's face after he switched the old guy was hilarious. The whole fishing segment in general was pretty funny.

Woah, that boss fight was awesome.. but I think I still prefer the Gleameyes fight.

But damn, the Skull Reaper looks like something that came straight out of a nightmare. Its attack patterns and general design kind of remind me of the Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls. Ah yeah.. it sure was fun seeing that thing for the first time..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 11:36   Link #253
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Dark Souls / Demon Souls is an apt comparison for this series.
Old 2012-10-06, 11:43   Link #254
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Dark Souls / Demon Souls is an apt comparison for this series.
I definitely agree. I think I even said that either of the Soul games with more of a MMO quality to them and a real life death aspect would definitely be very similar to SAO (minus the ranged weapons, of course) back when SAO just started airing.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 13:19   Link #255
Resperina

What's the song in This episode that starts when Asuna fights the giant fish? IM dying to know!
Resperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 19:57   Link #256
kitten320

Really? It is half way through and only now do they mention what happens to real bodies? I mean seriously? They could've at least shows people going offline and falling asleep in the middle of a street. To make us guess just what is going on!

Same with whole Asuna drama. They should've show us her growth, not told us about it because in all honestly she didn't change much since episode 2.

At least 3D skull thingy was cool though you would expect for them to gather braver people for such mission.
I guess there isn't much too choose from...
Old 2012-12-07, 11:58   Link #257
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Really? It is half way through and only now do they mention what happens to real bodies? I mean seriously? They could've at least shows people going offline and falling asleep in the middle of a street. To make us guess just what is going on!

Same with whole Asuna drama. They should've show us her growth, not told us about it because in all honestly she didn't change much since episode 2.

At least 3D skull thingy was cool though you would expect for them to gather braver people for such mission.
I guess there isn't much too choose from...
In the light novel this information was revealed in the beginning of the series, but from some reason they left it out of the anime.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 17:10   Link #258
kitten320

^I know, I was told about that.
So I have no complaints towards novel.

Everything I say is aimed only at anime and nothing more.

I praise novel for actually giving this information at the start but bash anime for telling it only now when no one really cares anymore.
Old 2012-12-17, 20:09   Link #259
Prologue

Does anyone know the OST that plays when asuna and kirito are laying in bed?
Prologue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 20:55   Link #260
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue View Post
Does anyone know the OST that plays when asuna and kirito are laying in bed?
It's not something anyone can know yet; the first volume of the OST will be released with the Blu-Ray/DVD that is being released in late-January (and there'll be at least one other volume, maybe two, later).