AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-19, 18:55   Link #281
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Wasn't the part "the show which hooked thousands of my generation to cartoons and anime" equal to saying OTAKU! ???
No, I mean the ACTUAL WORD "Otaku."
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 20:13   Link #282
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Was it mentioned in the series or was it because of the plamo dudes it created?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 06:45   Link #283
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Was it mentioned in the series or was it because of the plamo dudes it created?
No, because in the early episodes, Hikaru addresses Minmay as "Otaku" (which is, after all, primarily a very, very polite way to say "you"). Anime fans at the time thought that this was so bizarre that they started addressing each other as "otaku," and a new slang term was born.
Old 2011-03-20, 13:10   Link #284
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I must say I didn't know that. Is this a confirmed fact?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 16:34   Link #285
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I must say I didn't know that. Is this a confirmed fact?
According to Renato at Macross World (who's a very responsible source of info), yes it is. I also remember an old issue of Animerica which brought it up...but I cant remember which issue or anything like that.
Old 2011-05-27, 22:01   Link #286
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Finally got around to finishing this series. It took me around 4 days to finish, but what a journey it has been!

Some few things I'd like to say:

First, I was shocked, saddened, and disappointed by the death of my favorite character of the series, Roy Focker! I felt he died way too prematurely and his character could have contributed more to the series.

Damn you Pineapple Salad!!...he didn't even get to try a bite...

I also didn't expect Kakizaki to get killed off. I didn't expect a comic relief character like that to get axed in that manner.

As for our love triangle of the show, I must say Hikaru made the right choice when he decided to be with Misa at the end. I didn't like Minmay from the start, and with the appearance of her cousin it certainly didn't help to make me appreciate her character better. It's only after the timeskip that she started to shine in a new light, when she starts realizing her feelings for Hikaru, though it still seemed kinda of sad that she only wants to be with Hikaru just as her career and relationship with Kaifun was going sour, but at least she seemed to have matured a bit.

In the end, Hikaru started to annoy me more than Minmay did when he started to neglect Misa for Minmay.

I was also a bit disappointed after the timeskip because they neglected Max too much and he didn't get that much screen time. He was my second favorite male character of the series (1st being Roy Focker, obv).

All in all, it was a great series with great characters. I'll surely miss marathoning this series.

And as Quamzin says, "We'll do some culture afterward!"
Old 2011-05-28, 08:56   Link #287
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Now watch Do You Remember Love!!
Old 2011-05-29, 00:48   Link #288
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Now watch Do You Remember Love!!
I actually watched the movie about 2 years ago after finishing Macross Frontier, but I'm planning on re-watching soon.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:21   Link #289
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This is quite interesting. Screenshots from a 1984 Macross TV special, featuring Mari Iijima, Shoji Kawamori and toys.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-...9/makurosu.htm
Old 2011-06-17, 13:49   Link #290
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This is quite interesting. Screenshots from a 1984 Macross TV special, featuring Mari Iijima, Shoji Kawamori and toys.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-...9/makurosu.htm
This makes me feel nostalgic all of the sudden. Its too bad Arihiro Hase & Eiji Kanie would never live to see the launch of Macross Frontier.

The era of the mid 70s to the 80s saw the rise of a new direction in sci-fi anime, which gradually shifted from defending the planet popularized by astro-boy, super-robot & ultramen shows, to interacting with the universe where humanity ventured into the final frontier. This was probably a reflection of the overwhelming optimism for Japanese economic prowess. While the United States was de-facto the number one economy of the world, that fact probably never crossed the minds of the ordinary Japanese. The country had a lot of energy and vigor. It was nonstop go, go, go, advance, advance, advance without conservation. At the time, Japanese people probably thought they could conquer the world (market). Indeed, Japanese industries revolutionized how the world saw electronics, storage media and miniature accessories. Living became so materialistically excessive that it was not uncommon to pick up fully functional television sets that people did not want. Out of that excess also gave rise of many trivial and unnecessary jobs, such as elevator ladies. Patriotism at the time was at such height that in my opinion, was comparable only to the 1930s.

Japan in the 80s was wonderland for children. Kids had the coolest toys and the most sophisticated gadgets. Of course, this enduring optimism clouded the judgments of many. A majority of the populace did not realize (or refuse to admit) that Japan was operating in a bubble economy on the verge of bursting. Thus when it did burst, most people didn't see it coming.

When I went back to Japan in the late 90s for the first time, aside from noticing everything became two sizes smaller, there was the goddess-awful, absolutely horrid exchange rate of approximately 155yen to 1 US dollar. Not that I was complaining, because at the time I was a tourist. Then everything felt slowed. Sure, during rush hours in the morning, people will still be fighting for a spot to stand on public transit, but the pioneering vigor was sapped drastically. Unemployment was at its height, and suicides were frequent. For the people living there, they had it pretty tough.

- Tak (ranting stop)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-06-17 at 23:31.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 17:42   Link #291
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I'm gonna give this show a shot for the first time ever in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to it.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 19:54   Link #292
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Watched the entire original TV series, then watched Do you Remember Love.

I feel like a bastard. I knew Kakazaki was going to die in the movie because of his death in the series. So when we see Kakazaki in the latter half of the film, I go "Ah yes. He's going to be dying here". And literally a second after I say that, Kakazaki's plane bursts into flames and he dies.

My mind was blown.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 00:23   Link #293
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Watched the entire original TV series, then watched Do you Remember Love.

I feel like a bastard. I knew Kakazaki was going to die in the movie because of his death in the series. So when we see Kakazaki in the latter half of the film, I go "Ah yes. He's going to be dying here". And literally a second after I say that, Kakazaki's plane bursts into flames and he dies.

My mind was blown.
His death was not in vein. Valkyrie pilots are now left with the infamous legacy of don't talk about women while flying...

Its bad omen, really!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-17, 12:12   Link #294
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Naw, there's not much work done for Minmei or any of the other Macross characters anymore, not even Fire Bomber, and that was a very loved Macross. Basara and Mylene alone should've been remembered easily, but you don't see many artworks or creations for them anymore.
Because the creators believe their stories have ended, and thats that. Each new Macross intends to open a new world and create a new story, not to linger onto the past. This is not Gundam, where we have excessive homage paid to past events and characters while smacking Earth left & right to the point where you wonder why the damn planet is still habitable after so much abuse. Still, their memories will no doubt echo in every new Macross series airing in the future.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2011-08-17 at 13:09.
Old 2011-08-17, 12:46   Link #295
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Mentioned where, exactly? In polls or in general memory? People who grew up in the 80s and avid fans of Macross still fondly remember who she is despite their views on the original triangle.
Heh. Tak, meet erfine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfine View Post
Fans love to obsess on the little details, tho. Take SDFM for example. All in all, it was a fairly crap series with little present day value beyond nostalgia...
Old 2011-08-17, 13:01   Link #296
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Heh. Tak, meet erfine:
Fairly crap series she says...

Calling one of the biggest anime hit in the 80s crap... hmm...

Well, I don't know, I am speechless.

- Tak

Old 2011-08-17, 13:15   Link #297
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:

- Tak
I agree, on the part of storyline: it sucked.
But on the animation: it was good.

There were a lot of memorable moments in SDF, but storyline/plot was NOT one of them.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 04:19. Reason: rude crap removed
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 13:22   Link #298
wisteria233

Quote:
Oh. I watched the series after it aired. But I guess you would know. But still, characters eventually are forgotten. Like Minmei, she was very loved, but you don't see her mentioned much anymore. And like I said, people were obsessed with Shugo Chara, and it's only been around four years since the series ended, and no one seems to care about the series or characters anymore. Remember that a LOT of people have to vote to bring Sheryl back up... and if a majority of people vote for someone else, then you have to know Sheryl will fall out.
Actually Minmei was #3 (Misa was #13) in a top 30 poll listing the best female characters from the 80s so she isn't forgotten about. (Mylene was #8 for the 90s)

The current Newtype polls are basically what's popular now.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 13:23   Link #299
Tak

Quote:
Well, the original SDF also lacked a good storyline.
I don't think so.

Quote:
The war between Earth and the Zentradi literally lost you after Ep.3. They constantly went on for HOURS about explanations on things they didn't even understand.
They don't understand or you don't understand? Give an example.

Quote:
Back with the original SDF, they concentrated more on the triangle than the war.
Not really. For me, serious concentration of the triangle actually begun after episode 27.

Quote:
Which, when you reach the peace treaty between the two races, you go "WTF? When did THIS happen?"
And why is peace between Humanity & Zentradi so difficult to articulate? Did you watch the whole thing?

Quote:
There were a lot of memorable moments in SDF, but storyline/plot was NOT one of them.
Maybe not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I know, right?
I think her comments are an affront to my childhood.

- Tak

Old 2011-08-17, 13:23   Link #300
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:

- Tak
I know, right?

Quote:
Well, the original SDF also lacked a good storyline. The war between Earth and the Zentradi literally lost you after Ep.3. They constantly went on for HOURS about explanations on things they didn't even understand. Back with the original SDF, they concentrated more on the triangle than the war. Which, when you reach the peace treaty between the two races, you go "WTF? When did THIS happen?"

I agree, on the part of storyline: it sucked.
But on the animation: it was good.

I'm pretty confident that you are a "sect of one" in that analysis...

Tags
action, mecha, romance