AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-06-10, 12:30   Link #101
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do like the sound of electric more than acoustic so that's the direction I was planning on heading. I understand that my budget is way too low to get any respectable set but I've yet to even lay a hand on a guitar so I'm not willing to invest in such an expensive set just yet.

I was looking at the Squier Affinity series Strat. guitars because of the low price/mix of good reviews. How is that? I understand that there's the option for used guitars but I don't know the standards for rating a certain guitar good or bad (lol Yui). This would bring me to spending around $200 on the guitar and $100 on the amp. I wonder if I got my priorities correct, lol.

I do happen to have a couple of close people with guitar backgrounds. Would it mean lessons will be unnecessary? Thanks!
The affinity series tends to be a mixbag, you can get either good one or crappy one, since they are produced from different factories in china. So you'll have to go and physically try it out. Other thing is that they are lighter and have a thinner body than the standard models. IMO the affinity is better than the bullet, since it has a alder body, but that is a personal opinion. As for amp get the Epiphone Valve Junior, don't settle for a transistor amp, you will regret it, seriously. One thing that you should do is to invest in the future, buy a good amp and cable, if you replace your guitar or start adding guitars to you collection, you won't need to buy the other components again.
My advice go to a shop, ask for a used affinity strat, give it a bash and see if it is something for you, then get a small new valve amp, cable and a tuner. It should be still in your budget, since the value of a used affinity tend to be really low.
Btw there are some tuners nowadays with build-in metronome, like the Seiko Stmx1, and you should have posted your question in the guitarist tread in the music forum, because this is off-topic.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 20:33   Link #102
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatus View Post
For me, I started with a strat copy and now, I play SG special.
I would go with an Ibanez or SG/Les Paul copy. Strat copies tend to sound "whiny" and hum a lot when you put it through any heavy distortion because of their cheap single coil pickups (cheap humbuckers handle better IMO) and lightweight wood.
Same with my brother, Ibanez is a good guitar brand - but Dragonforce abuses it so much, that it sounds like a complete crap product in the end. But then again Dragonforce isn't too much of a great band either live. -_-.
Old 2009-06-10, 23:08   Link #103
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Same with my brother, Ibanez is a good guitar brand - but Dragonforce abuses it so much, that it sounds like a complete crap product in the end. But then again Dragonforce isn't too much of a great band either live. -_-.
I could think up of a much more talented example of an Ibanez player, like Steve Vai...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:04   Link #104
rockmanxpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I could think up of a much more talented example of an Ibanez player, like Steve Vai...
Didn't he get his butt kicked by Ralph Machio?
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:12   Link #105
jawang

all I know is joe satriani plays ibanez, so it must be good
jawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:23   Link #106
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
Isn't "Crossroads" just a movie?
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-06-11, 03:54   Link #107
wistfulloner

I play the acoustic guitar, will I be left out of this discussion?
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 11:57   Link #108
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I play the acoustic guitar, will I be left out of this discussion?
Check this topic Guitarists Discussion Thread
Old 2009-06-11, 16:38   Link #109
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Afterlife solo by A7X on an Ibanez, sounds soooo nice.
Old 2009-06-13, 01:11   Link #110
Kyourin
garbage collector

hi could someone identify the keyboard above XD thanks =w= !!
Kyourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 16:44   Link #111
koohyuko

I can't be certain, because I can't find an exact match, but the first thing that popped into my mind was the Emu Xboard 25, which is actually a MIDI controller. I check around various music webstores to confirm it, and they match up pretty good, except for in the modifiers in the top left hand corner, and that the Emu has two rows of knobs. I think that it might be an older version of the Emu, but I'm not sure. Check it out for yourself.

Emu!!
koohyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 22:03   Link #112
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyourin View Post

I think that's a modulator instead of a keyboard O_o.
Old 2009-06-15, 23:22   Link #113
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyourin View Post

Not exactly the same thing, but very similar.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen8v2.html
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 00:26   Link #114
koohyuko

Yeah, I thought about some M-Audio controllers, but I think the design and build are a bit off. Still good though.

Speaking of which, woot.com had a 49 and a 25 key M-Audio controller, plus a mic and mixer, on sale for $50. I about died. And they were sold out....
koohyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 00:46   Link #115
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
haha, he (steve) played that solo and machio air-guitared it. he's pretty good at it too.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 19:23   Link #116
Justin Kim
*Artist

Lol, airguitar. Had that for a talent show once.
Old 2009-06-23, 01:15   Link #117
Sai1Nonly

Just because you have a KORG Tuner doesn't mean YAMAHA doesn't make one. This one is the closest I could find to Azusu's tuner.

Sawa-chan's Guitar

A Gibson Custom Shop Limited Runs Flying V Mahogany / TV White.
Sai1Nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 01:33   Link #118
rockmanxpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
haha, he (steve) played that solo and machio air-guitared it. he's pretty good at it too.
Technically he didn't play air guitar since he was holding a real one, let's just called "guitar syncing".
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 13:04   Link #119
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai1Nonly View Post

Sawa-chan's Guitar

A Gibson Custom Shop Limited Runs Flying V Mahogany / TV White.
For some reason, i thought Sawako guitar was a epiphone korina flying v.
Old 2009-06-24, 13:07   Link #120
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

I do distinctly remember reading "Epiphone" on the headstock...

I guess she puts too much money into fabrics to get a Gibson...