AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-16, 03:23   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It was BG2 that had the "extras" in it. ToB added even more extras (like Wild Mage).
Old 2012-03-16, 04:40   Link #22
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Instant buy
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 22:39   Link #23
Velsy

I've still got the original CDs O-o

Never had the heart to throw those away O_O
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 08:03   Link #24
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

I do too but I haven't touched it for years now that I don't have that much time to finish the game.

It brings me the nostalgia, it was one of first RPG I've ever played which I regretfully never finished due to unfortunate reasons. I probably wouldn't play it again, it's much too involving and was hardcore too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 14:40   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

Still got the original disks too, well.. only Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal, I didn't enjoy the first game as much. BG2 was much more polished both in gameplay and story telling.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 15:01   Link #26
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

As someone who has never played Baldur's Gate and has heard so much critical acclaim for this series - I can't wait to try it.

Old games need HD remakes in order for them to be as playable as they were back then.

It's the same deal with Morrowind, I keep hearing people tell me how great it is, even better than Oblivion and Skyrim - so I go get the game and it has not aged well, at all.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 15:04   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
As someone who has never played Baldur's Gate and has heard so much critical acclaim for this series - I can't wait to try it.

Old games need HD remakes in order for them to be as playable as they were back then.

It's the same deal with Morrowind, I keep hearing people tell me how great it is, even better than Oblivion and Skyrim - so I go get the game and it has not aged well, at all.
IF they do remake it, get ready to throw away your life
Old 2012-03-19, 15:18   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Morrowind is definitely better than Oblivion (which is a boring bag of suck) but it's not better than Skyrim. Morrowind pretty much requires a boatload of mods to make it playable and Skyrim is entirely playable vanilla.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:14   Link #29
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Still got the original disks too, well.. only Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal, I didn't enjoy the first game as much. BG2 was much more polished both in gameplay and story telling.
Same here, only did play the 1st game a little but enough to know it was exactly to liking however 2nd game is a vast improvement like sequels should be.
Will I be getting the 1st game in this remake? not sure tbh, don't actually think I'd have time to play it along with 2nd game which for sure I'll be getting.

I do wonder if I'll be able to make heads or tails of it tho, the game back then had quite the steep learning curve, there was alot to it.
Sad to say but I've forgetten everything about D&D rules and what not, haven't played such a game in along long time.
Old 2012-03-19, 23:30   Link #30
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Honestly, I never knew the rules of D&D... still don't. I just viewed it as any other video game and know what works and what doesn't work. Like the more "-" your AC, the better. Or like how 2d6 on a weapon is better than 1d8. etc...
Old 2012-03-20, 00:19   Link #31
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Honestly, I never knew the rules of D&D... still don't. I just viewed it as any other video game and know what works and what doesn't work. Like the more "-" your AC, the better. Or like how 2d6 on a weapon is better than 1d8. etc...
Before 3e (or 4e, can't remember), it was the less your AC the better.

THAC0 = To Hit Armor Class 0 (on a d20)
excluding other modifiers:
if Roll(d20) >= THAC0 - AC, then Hit( true );
else Hit( false );
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 20:44   Link #32
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

ATTENTION! BREAKING NEWS! NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT TODAY

Baldur's Gate to be released on September 18th for $20 Check http://www.baldursgate.com/ for more details.

You may now commence fan girl-esque squee-ing.
Old 2012-07-26, 22:27   Link #33
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
ATTENTION! BREAKING NEWS! NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT TODAY

Baldur's Gate to be released on September 18th for $20 Check http://www.baldursgate.com/ for more details.

You may now commence fan girl-esque squee-ing.
The only problem is, my old mods may not work anymore, and the programs used to create new stuff......
One thing I like about this game how I get the chance to try to kill legendary characters of the Realms
Old 2012-07-26, 23:30   Link #34
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Apparently you can import old game files and so on, and mods may still work. Most of the fixes are bugs, or graphical enhancements.
Old 2012-07-27, 00:27   Link #35
Undertaker

This is awesome, I still remember this being one of the very first western RPG to have romancing option that even includes a bit of NTR goodness. Definitely one of the very best western RPG I've played and enjoyed.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:13   Link #36
larethian

It'll be nice if they can bring in Cadderly and Danica, so that I can try to kill them (though I know they won't debut in the new release). Any new legendary characters I can try killing? I'm such a Realms diehard (at least before 4e).
Old 2012-07-27, 10:17   Link #37
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Baldur's Gate 2 was probably the best Western RPG I've ever played (though Planescape gives it a lot of competition).

Suffice to say, I'm interested.

However, the old interface and RPG system for BG hasn't aged particularly well. At a minimum, it would need to be brought up to the standard of Icewind Dale 2 (which had a much better interface then BG1/2), and moving to 3e DnD would be a plus, though that would be difficult. I always thought 3e was more elegant, Icewind Dale 2 had a very good port of it, better then any other attempt at porting 3E to PC.

Though I've always thought the class system of DnD to be somewhat flawed, and one of the worst things persistently copied from it. While I'm not a fan of Elder Scrolls, the more "free" system they use is much better, allowing you to build a character with whatever skills you want.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:00   Link #38
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
The only problem is, my old mods may not work anymore, and the programs used to create new stuff......
One thing I like about this game how I get the chance to try to kill legendary characters of the Realms
Well even if they don't work, I'm pretty sure the community will be all over it in no time.
I doubt we'll need to wait long for things to work again.

Can't wait for this, along with GW2 as well I suspect that all my spare time will all but vanish!
Old 2012-07-28, 21:38   Link #39
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I don't get it. Everything I read in that link you can already do/fix with mods. Except for the new 'adventure', I suppose, but since there's plenty of extra adventure to be had, by mods, I guess I fail to see this as anything more than what looks like their use of the modding community's efforts (and bug fixing), to make money off the nostalgia of the pristine BG name.

The cynic in me can't help but wonder why they went this route where most-if not all-of the work had already been done for free by the community, vs actually remaking the game. Oh wait. It can.

I'm actually really curious if they incorporated the community's work in this, or if they really made all those changes on their own.

But, in an effort to think positive! I shall cheer if this at least gets a few more players interested in an oft overlooked oldie-but-goody (BG 2 has received far more attention, and for good reason, but BG 1 + mods is almost as good).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 15:11   Link #40
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Instant buy
Too true!

Tags
baldur's gate, dragons, dungeons, minsc