AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-19, 03:27   Link #30941
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

She's wearing shoes, how can you be sure of such deformities. Although putting that aside, feet are the hardest body part to draw, so they usually end up looking like crap.

Last edited by Demi.; 2011-11-19 at 03:41.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 03:43   Link #30942
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Actually, those are shoes and not feet. Totally different. ^_^
Old 2011-11-19, 03:48   Link #30943
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I believe the complaint is about how she's standing, not the artwork. The toes inward at about 40 degrees as oppose to straight forward or about the same in the outward direction. It is a typical artist pose to have women (expecially younger ones) with their feet pointed like that..also usually with their knees touching.

Also it seems to be something Japanese women do. Partly to look cute and possibly because of a mix of genetics and that they have a tendencey to sit on their knees a lot of the time.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-11-19 at 04:09.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 04:06   Link #30944
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
^ To be fair the image looks like it's after a battle so Stern didn't have the need to be in a "fight stance".
Well the thing is: her upper body pose says "I just kicked your butt" while her lower body and legs say "I am so cute, please don't hurt me".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I believe the complaint is about how she's standing, not the artwork. The toes inward at about 40 degrees as oppose to straight forward or about the same in the outward direction. It is a typical artist pose to have women (expecially younger ones) with their feet pointed like that..also usually with their knees touching.
Thank you. Furthermore, standing with your toes pointing inward reduces the (already small for us bipedals) base of support under your center of mass, consequentially reducing your balance. While this is most important for ground melee fighters, it's just unfeasible that a badass character like Seikou would ignore it.
Old 2011-11-19, 04:25   Link #30945
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Well the thing is: her upper body pose says "I just kicked your butt" while her lower body and legs say "I am so cute, please don't hurt me".
LOL!

I remeber loli Nanoha adopting a similar stance a couple of times but rarely during a fight.

...it also bring me back memories of Nanoha's "girly running" when she was a kid xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 05:41   Link #30946
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Quote:
That image would have been epic if not for that godawful pigeon toe. =__= Why do all the anime artists believe so fervently that being a woman automatically gives you feet deformities? Seiko is a combat mage, goddamn it, and that's not a stance a fighter should stand in![/rant]

My guess? Folks here are yearning for moderator attention.

EDIT: Page claim for badass women who fight in a proper stance instead of mimicking the allegedly cutesy pigeon toes.
Ha! I was yelling 'what the heck is wrong with the women in this country' when I went to Japan for a little visit.

I can come up of two reasons why is Seiko pigeon-toe'd.

1) The one who drew this did it for the sake of moe. In Japan, they believe that walking with your toes inward is considered 'cute' and 'feminine'. Back in the day when people still wear kimono. If you walk normally, the kimono will give away(Yes, Legs!) and for modesty people began to walk pigeon toe'd.

2) Practicing seiza can bring malformation to the legs.
Mr Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 06:05   Link #30947
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coin View Post
2) Practicing seiza can bring malformation to the legs.
As if Seikou and the rest were created for the purpose of sitting in seiza all the time. I am ticked off by character derailment in fanart more than the allegedly cute/feminine foot deformities.
Old 2011-11-19, 06:23   Link #30948
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

It's hilarious how people protest about characters doing improbable poses yet are fine with weapons having improbable, impractical, uncomfortable, unwieldy, and/or bulky are-you-sure-you're-not-compensating-for-anything designs

But yes, I agree that the pose diminished the enjoyability of that image. All I can think of is how uncomfortable that must be

Old 2011-11-19, 07:24   Link #30949
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
It's hilarious how people protest about characters doing improbable poses yet are fine with weapons having improbable, impractical, uncomfortable, unwieldy, and/or bulky are-you-sure-you're-not-compensating-for-anything designs
Weapons can be explained with magic. Human body can't (at least not in this setting).
Old 2011-11-19, 07:34   Link #30950
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Except that absurd weapon designs would result in unnatural stances or postures to wield them, thus indirectly affecting the human body

Old 2011-11-19, 07:50   Link #30951
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Except that absurd weapon designs would result in unnatural stances or postures to wield them, thus indirectly affecting the human body

From the same artist.

Just to balance out the genders.

Cheers.
Old 2011-11-19, 08:51   Link #30952
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
I don't see how any kind of weapon except some weird magnetized shoes could give a person pigeon toes.

Quote:
How uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
From the same artist.

Just to balance out the genders.

Cheers.
Now, that is manly. :3
Old 2011-11-19, 09:51   Link #30953
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Weapons can be explained with magic. Human body can't (at least not in this setting).
Faming scythes make crappy weapons, be they magic or not. Rocket powered warhammers sound nice in theory, but given the human bodies reaction to consistent turning and the effect of jerky movements on accuracy not practical. Teana s gun with magical blades positioned so they´ll stab her own arm before the enemy aren´t the height of functionality either. Then there's the whole rolerblade thing, which is frankly-

*Keroko is bound and gagged before he can continue rambling*
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 11:13   Link #30954
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
It doesn't really matter which character seems stronger on paper. Titular character armor is always going to have Nanoha coming out on top.
Of course. Wasn't questioning that.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 13:21   Link #30955
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
I don't see how any kind of weapon except some weird magnetized shoes could give a person pigeon toes.
Maybe not pigeon toes, per se. But holding weapons this big in this upside down manner

will strain the arms, even slowly deform them into a bent mess. That's before worrying about recoil

But hey, at least the damage would be symmetrical. This, however,

only burden the left side, so the users would end up looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame - their left side would be of lower elevation than the right.

Seriously, whoever the weapons artist for Force is, they're clearly compensating for something . At least most pre-Force are normal sized. Most.

Speaking of which,

why would anyone think that decorating their sword with spikes pointed towards them is a good idea?

Frankly, seeing these absurd designs gives me the same uncomfortable feeling as seeing Seiko's pigeon toes And at least that picture of Seiko can be enjoyed again by cropping the bottom, uncomfortable part.
Old 2011-11-19, 13:29   Link #30956
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ Maybe the weapons are made like that to ephazise the Huckebein's superhuman status? Like "we can use this ridiculous weapons because we're stronger, faster and skilled than you!",

Arguably most Eclipse Drivers have some sort of super strenght and super resilence which now we know it varies from Driver to Driver(Cypha treats having her arm sliced like no big deal while Dego reacted in a far more conventional fashion after Veyron ripped his arm off), those combined with their viral aggressiveness let them to be able to hold those weapons proficently.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 16:16   Link #30957
Justin_Brett

Somehow I don't think people with constant, quick regeneration will ever have to worry about arm or bone strain.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 18:59   Link #30958
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
But hey, at least the damage would be symmetrical. This, however,

only burden the left side, so the users would end up looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame - their left side would be of lower elevation than the right.
Unless the thing can float or at least keep part of its weight suspended in the air on its own, just like RH on the same pic.
Old 2011-11-20, 01:15   Link #30959
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Her left arm is strong :3

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 01:33   Link #30960
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
She is left handed, after all.

We really need a general thread to put all this random discussion in.

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw