AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-12, 22:52   Link #21
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Good thing CPM got it, I find it interesting that majority of my manga is from them

Now once again, I have the raws of the manga, so now, I hope you guys don't mind me going ahead
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 00:10   Link #22
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan
I take it as there's no fansub yet. The manga was great thou.

Which group is gonna do it? ^^
seems Solar is interesting in doing it. also seems it's their only project, which is a good thing IMO
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 09:39   Link #23
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
Good thing CPM got it, I find it interesting that majority of my manga is from them

Now once again, I have the raws of the manga, so now, I hope you guys don't mind me going ahead
Del-Ray licensed the manga, not CPM.

I don't mind if you try to move ahead, it makes no difference, since I have my subscription to Afternoon.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 11:07   Link #24
mangatron

oh my bad, was thinking of CPM too much. Thanks though, I dont want to feel guilty reading ahead of you guys. And really, when I watch the anime, I want to get as much of it's manga parts by reading the manga first
Old 2004-10-13, 12:17   Link #25
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
oh my bad, was thinking of CPM too much. Thanks though, I dont want to feel guilty reading ahead of you guys. And really, when I watch the anime, I want to get as much of it's manga parts by reading the manga first
No problem - I can read Afternoon Magazine at my local Lawson's.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 13:50   Link #26
stpehen
kisses for all

*bows down to mangatron's superiority in downloading things off the intarweb*

*pulls volumes 1-4 of Genshiken off the shelf and strokes them*
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 14:37   Link #27
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
*bows down to mangatron's superiority in downloading things off the intarweb*

*pulls volumes 1-4 of Genshiken off the shelf and strokes them*

Intarweb...I don't dl stuff of intarweb, I don't roam the net, and I basically, have no time in my life to do anything other than what's in my PDA schedule. If you did mean something else, sry.

Anyways, got around to watching ep 01, and heh, just, uh, nice ep is all I can say. And, lol was funny seeing Haruka from KGNE.
Old 2004-10-13, 14:47   Link #28
xiaozzfei
Faith Founder&Translator

Yes, We A-faith are doing Kujibiki and Genshiken with Solar as Joint. We are currently working on it. We will bring to all you guys very soon and hope you guys will like it.
xiaozzfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 16:47   Link #29
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaozzfei
Yes, We A-faith are doing Kujibiki and Genshiken with Solar as Joint. We are currently working on it. We will bring to all you guys very soon and hope you guys will like it.
Whoa whoa, wait a min. You gonna go against the license and scanslate it? Well, I mean, good luck.

but, really.....
Old 2004-10-13, 16:53   Link #30
j1m0ne

Quote:
Whoa whoa, wait a min. You gonna go against the license and scanslate it? Well, I mean, good luck.

but, really.....
they mean the anime, not the manga.
Old 2004-10-13, 20:01   Link #31
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaozzfei
Good luck and have fun with the signs in the first episode. They're hilarious >.>
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 21:08   Link #32
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

Watched ep 1 raw. They've done a good job turning it into an anime.

"Waaa.... Waaaahhh.... WAHHHHHH!!"
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 10:22   Link #33
outlawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I was actually surprised that there were some parts where the anime actually got permission to use copyrighted material
-snip-
Special Thanks:
-snip-
Yeah that was awesome. I hope they can do some more stuff like that.

The "visit" to the room at the end of the episode gave me a good laugh. I've seen some JP posts already where they mention that the doujin shop they go to for next week's episode looks just like it does in the preview. I forget the name but apparently it is quite famous.

kj1980, Perhaps you can give more details about this "mecca" for doujin fans?

Since Genshinken deals with university anime clubs in JP I'm going to post something related that you might find interesting, kj1980. There are anime clubs at many universities here in the United States of America. In fact the base of anime fans that exists in the USA today is due to these clubs (some of which date back to the early 1980s and were instrumental in spreading anime...especially otaku anime here). This mostly occurred through fansubs on VHS/S-VHS or unsubtitled VHS/S-VHS recorded off TV which was copied and traded amongst clubs. If you are interested in this history I could elaborate more.

The USA anime clubs are quite a bit different I would imagine from a JP club...some of the USA clubs just get together and watch/talk about anime without any doujin/game/manga related activities. Manga is definitely growing in popularity here. It's growth rate is definitely larger than anime at this point (which makes sense as it is "newer" than anime for fans here as far as commercial products go). I would say the biggest difference between JP and USA University anime clubs would be in the member. JP and USA otaku are quite different as I'm sure you've gathered from posting on here. I have a little experience in this area as I've associated with a few Japanese otaku and a few "half JP/Americans" (lived 1/2 of life in JP as a kid; lived 1/2 of life in USA as teenager/young adult). I looked up your username on the forums and saw some very good posts where you explained the realities of anime in JP to the readers here. Thanks for your efforts to educate the USA fans.

Back on track to the episode:
http://yurichan.nerv.org/log200410.html#1104

The comments...yet he still gave it 4 smiley faces. Perhaps we can see this sums up the duality of otaku? I enjoyed Genshinken and yet if I analyze why I liked it I may come to.... Wait. I think I'll stop here. ^_^

Last edited by outlawed; 2004-10-14 at 10:40.
outlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 18:43   Link #34
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Hmm... they snipped out Sasahara's Gundam quip after he got hit by Saki and the society's reaction to that. Wonder why...
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 04:57   Link #35
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawed
Yeah that was awesome. I hope they can do some more stuff like that.

The "visit" to the room at the end of the episode gave me a good laugh. I've seen some JP posts already where they mention that the doujin shop they go to for next week's episode looks just like it does in the preview. I forget the name but apparently it is quite famous.
You mean Akihabara's Tora no Ana? If I ever go to Japan I need to go there ~_~;; Probably has everything that I'll want >.>;;
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 05:50   Link #36
Judo
Lazy Turtle

Send a message via MSN to Judo
Genshiken anime eh, that sounds great, can't wait to watch it =D

I really enjoyed reading the managa(well, the chapters that were scanlated at least, hopefully Del Ray will do a nice job now that it's licenced =) ) and was somewhat shocked at how people in Japan act towards Otakus, but then I got to thinking....its not that diffrent over here...I mean, most of my family members(cousins,aunts,uncles) know that I'm a hardcore videogamer, and most of them think it's bad, and some even ask "When will you grow up?" =___=

What I mean is, most people don't think that young adults or adults can or should enjoy watching/reading/playing anime/manga/videogames. I remember last year, when a cousin of mine found out that I watch anime....the look on his face...it was like I just told him that I killed or raped someone <.<

*sigh*
Judo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 18:11   Link #37
outlawed

Ep 2

Genshiken Op this time. Guilty Gear XX Reload footage was in the OP. (Below Genshiken they had "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture".

An interesting discussion took place between some of the Genshiken members and Saki.

No sign of the cosplayer girl yet (kj1980 mentioned her in another thread talking about this show).
outlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 05:06   Link #38
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
This thread is dedicated to the new anime "Genshiken" and its inner-anime, "Kujibiki Unbalance."

I await how non-Japanese viewers had taken by watching this show.
I've been in US anime fandom for over 20 years, and it is interesting to see how this show relates to what I've seen in fandom here and in Japan over that period. I'm eagerly awaiting a fansub--I can understand much of the dialog, but I don't want to misinterpret anything.

Watching the people in this show reminds me of what some anime clubs I was in were like in the 80's, before we had access to subtitled material or the internet. And back then, most older people had nothing but contempt for any "cartoons" and people that wasted too much time with them. Animation had lost a lot of respect in the US during the 70's through the mid 80's (even after that started to change, you still had the problem that most people thought Japanese animation was either really violent or sexual, or kiddy stuff, and I think that stigma still exists, if to some lesser degree, today with many people). So our little anime clubs existed with little support and desperately seeking any original Japanese videotapes we could get our grubby hands on, daisy-chaining our VCRs to copy what we could when the opportunity came. We were a small group of mostly non-conformists that lamented our society could not appreciate our hobby and with big dreams of it someday gaining recognition and popularity in our own country, doing whatever steps we could to help it along that path. Our clubs would get together and discuss the meanings of each anime we watched, more out of neccessity, as there were no fan or pro subs back then. It was an interesting time. I even formed a high school anime club myself in 1987, with official school recognition (took some petitioning work!) and an entry in the yearbook, lol. For club day we'd show clips of anime films and shows we'd set to various music as a kind of primitive anime music video, heh.

Some of the people in the clubs back then helped create some of the first anime magazines, manga publishers, and anime conventions in the US, and a few are still in the industry today.

(edit- I missed Outlawed's post--looks like it covers a lot of what I just said, ah well ^_^; --also the "mecca" in question is Toranoana, which looks just like I remember it, pretty much, when I went 5 years ago!)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 05:57   Link #39
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo
Genshiken anime eh, that sounds great, can't wait to watch it =D

I really enjoyed reading the managa(well, the chapters that were scanlated at least, hopefully Del Ray will do a nice job now that it's licenced =) ) and was somewhat shocked at how people in Japan act towards Otakus, but then I got to thinking....its not that diffrent over here...I mean, most of my family members(cousins,aunts,uncles) know that I'm a hardcore videogamer, and most of them think it's bad, and some even ask "When will you grow up?" =___=

What I mean is, most people don't think that young adults or adults can or should enjoy watching/reading/playing anime/manga/videogames. I remember last year, when a cousin of mine found out that I watch anime....the look on his face...it was like I just told him that I killed or raped someone <.<

*sigh*
guess it's the same everywhere, sigh...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 07:08   Link #40
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I've got the LE of the DVDs on pre-order but December seems so far away. I'll normally don't import DVDs because of their insane price compared to local releases but the Kujibiki intro sold me. I love both but just for different reasons.

Oh, and in relation to Kujibiki, Ritsuko for prez!!

I laughed my butt off when it was going over that doujinshi because I got an IM message right as the page was turned and it caused the video to freeze up and multiply and I madly tried to click and get them closed so my g/f didn't enter the room and think I was purposely filling my screen with nude anime girls.

Well, I laugh about it now. I was fearing for my life then.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen