AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-14, 13:08   Link #21
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
If the game features a "main" character or maybe just an initial character(that you start as/with) you could have experience set up in such a way that everyone's experience is set in relation to that character. Say the main character's name is John and you store his experience in a variable:JohnExp. Than other characters experience could just be set up as say TerraExp:JonhExp-1500. So when you add experience from battles you would just need to add it to JohnExp(regardless of his role in the battle) and the others would keep themselves in a level relative to John. Kingdom Hearts used a setup like that where goofy was always 1 level ahead of Sora no matter if you used him or not.
Please, if you use a main character don't make him/her annoying like Zidane from IX (stupid name anyway)

Quote:
Playing w/ the attribute scores usually was very broken in many games like diablo 2. There were so many players out there that analyzed how to optimally place points that a "misspent" point would make your character to look broken. (I had a friend in college that would restart characters if he misspent any points)
You can circumvent broken characters by designing the game in the way that an uber-leet character is not needed to beat it. Just as easy at that.

And btw, you could beat D2 with lots of misspent points prior to 1.10, so what your friend did was trying to make an uber-char (most likely for dueling but not for the main game itself)

EDIT: Is it possible to implement various story lines which revolve on how your party placed it's decision? Like not helping the people or killing them instead opens the path for the Evil ending (not necessarily the bad ending)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 13:21   Link #22
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I don't like the idea of swapping that much because it makes fights too easy; if I pick my party I'll have to live with the weaknesses they come with and I'll try my best to compensate that. Swapping parties would nullify that, i.e. having four powerful mages start casting their spells then swap them all for melee fighters who tank the damage the enemies are inflicting in the meanwhile.
I don't like the easy/cheapness of the swap system either, that's why I'm trying to change it so that doesn't happen. Not letting a character with low HP swap out is one approach, but I don't think it would be sufficient enough. I think the best thing would be to say, allow 1 swap at the beginning of each battle, then after a period of time (say 5 minutes?) Let another swap be allowed, up to a maximum of 4 swaps (which would take 15 minutes to accumulate). How does that idea sound to you?

Quote:
Divide the XP evenly for the party regardless if they did something because it would be too annoying to have a fast character (his ATB fills up more quickly than the other char's ATBs) get the one hit kill and consequently get even faster because he lvls up before the others.

Also, give the rest of the chars which didn't participate in the fight about 1/4 of the XP so that there is not that much of a gap between your favourite chars and chars you don't play that often but are necessary for importan quests.
I'm not planning to have the character who gets the killing blow obtain more XP (like in FFVIII). Everyone will gain XP, unless they are passed out. 1/4 of the XP for characters who didn't fight in my opinion is too little. I think 3/4s is much better for stopping the wide range of XP levels in the party (I can just claim they get the 3/4s for observing the battle and learning )

Quote:
Can we see?
I haven't drawn any concept art for her yet, but I have a clear vision of her face and body in my head. I could give you a written description...but I don't want to spoil the game for you guys! I might work on getting a quick sketch of her today, but beware its been a long time since I've drawn

Quote:
If the game features a "main" character or maybe just an initial character(that you start as/with) you could have experience set up in such a way that everyone's experience is set in relation to that character. Say the main character's name is John and you store his experience in a variable:JohnExp. Than other characters experience could just be set up as say TerraExp:JonhExp-1500. So when you add experience from battles you would just need to add it to JohnExp(regardless of his role in the battle) and the others would keep themselves in a level relative to John. Kingdom Hearts used a setup like that where goofy was always 1 level ahead of Sora no matter if you used him or not.
A reasonable idea, but I don't know. It just seems kind of....cheap to me. So if I have a passed out character that I never bother to revive, they'd still get XP and gain levels as long as the main character was still kicking? Seems too artificial to me. And I don't like the idea that char A will ALWAYS be 1,500 XP below char B, and char C will ALWAYS be 3,200 XP above char A. Thanks for the idea, it's definitely not a bad one, but personally I don't like it.

Thanks for your opinions you guys. You are really helping me feel comfortable about these ideas taking shapoe.

EDIT: (Woohoo we're on the 2nd page now! )
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 13:31   Link #23
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Please, if you use a main character don't make him/her annoying like Zidane from IX (stupid name anyway)
The main character is Claudius, as written in my prologue. He acts really serious there because of the situations he's been thrown in, but I promise he will become more interesting as the story goes on. I will do my best not to make him annoying

Funny fact: When I first saw the FFIX trailer and read the names I thought Zidane was the name of Garnet, and I was like WOH she's so cute. Zidane is such a cool and lovely name for her too! When I found out 2 or 3 months later her name was Garnet I was like GARNET? Ewww, that sounds so...macho. Gross.

Quote:
EDIT: Is it possible to implement various story lines which revolve on how your party placed it's decision? Like not helping the people or killing them instead opens the path for the Evil ending (not necessarily the bad ending)
I don't plan to have the storyline be completely linear, but it should would be a hell of a lot easier if I did I will definitely branch out, I'm just not sure how yet. But I do know that the beginning portion of the game (3-5 times longer than the length of the prologue) will definitely be linear.

I'll throw in a bunch of fun side quests though! Who can pass up an XP-gaining oppurtunity?

(Sorry for the double post)
Old 2004-06-14, 13:41   Link #24
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
The main character is Claudius, as written in my prologue. He acts really serious there because of the situations he's been thrown in, but I promise he will become more interesting as the story goes on. I will do my best not to make him annoying
Good to hear that

Quote:
Funny fact: When I first saw the FFIX trailer and read the names I thought Zidane was the name of Garnet, and I was like WOH she's so cute. Zidane is such a cool and lovely name for her too! When I found out 2 or 3 months later her name was Garnet I was like GARNET? Ewww, that sounds so...macho. Gross.
Well, Garnet is better than Dagger I guess. Also, I had to rename Zidane because the name always reminded me of the French soccer player which is annoying for a fantasy RPG

Even taking into account that I might be ridiculed for my ignorance regarding programming but is it possible to use the FF VI graphic engine for your game? That would save you time which you could in turn invest on designing the game play AND we could play it with an emulator, so porting the game is no problem. (I know, I know, I don't know anything about programming... )
Old 2004-06-14, 13:52   Link #25
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Even taking into account that I might be ridiculed for my ignorance regarding programming but is it possible to use the FF VI graphic engine for your game? That would save you time which you could in turn invest on designing the game play AND we could play it with an emulator, so porting the game is no problem. (I know, I know, I don't know anything about programming... )
Haha, I was actually curious as to whether there existed tools out there to make your own SNES rom. I myself am not sure if such a thing is possible (and even if it was, I'd probably be violating several infringement policies). Even if it was, we'd then have to design the game with the limits of the SNES, which as well all know, is quite outdated. What if I ran out of virtual cartridge space but I was only half way done with the game? I'd be f*%$ed

I am using the....base (? hell, I don't know what to call it) of the FFVI system. That is, maps/dungeons are composed of several small square images and the characters are two squares wide and one square high. Programming this thing is going to be a bitch I think. I mean, there's no really difficult task that I've thought of yet, but there are so many little things that we'll have to get to work together. I'm definitely taking the earlier suggestion of planning everything out so I (hopefully) save myself some time and frustration. Well, if it wasn't a challenge then it wouldn't be much fun I guess

EDIT:

I forgot to mention something. Last night I went to another forum I'm a member of, which has an RPG Creators forum (but almost everyone there uses RPG Maker 2000 or whatever). I saw a post from a music composer that was looking for a job and after listening to this sample he put together, I was impressed enough to tell me about my project. (BTW: That sample is not yet complete, but its still very well done, check it out). I just got a message back from him and he said after reading my prologue he's really (yes, he used italics) interested in contributing. Woot Woot!

EDIT2:

Ok. Today I'm trying to get a name for the game set because I want to go buy a domain name and get a little website setup. So I'm turning to you guys for advice. Ok, well the main theme of the game is
Spoiler for Have you read the prologue yet?:
. So I thought the following names sounded good and appropriate:

{Hero / Knight / Savior / Defender / Guardian / Preserver / Protector} of {Allacross}

Where Allacross is the name of the world (which I'm not set on yet. Does that sound like a good name for a world?) Obviously you know what type of word I'm looking for in the first { }, and the second { } is going to be the world name. I don't know, what do you guys think?

EDIT3:

Just went to my best thinking place (the crapper) and I came up with another title. What about "Hero of Ages"? Sound good?

Last edited by Roots; 2004-06-14 at 18:50. Reason: Wanted to brag about my first composer :D
Old 2004-06-15, 08:15   Link #26
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
And btw, you could beat D2 with lots of misspent points prior to 1.10, so what your friend did was trying to make an uber-char (most likely for dueling but not for the main game itself)
Oh he was, I beat d2 a couple times and put it on a shelf where it's sat to this day. He was only interested in making an uber character (dunno if he dueled or not). I just didn't like the idea that seemed to form around the game of the "one right way" to level a character.

Quote:
Well, Garnet is better than Dagger I guess.
Lol, I don't think I've met anybody yet that let her rename herself to Dagger when they played that game. How lazy can you get to just look around and name yourself after a random object....

RPG maker tends to lead to a swarm of clone games where it's hard to distinguish yourself from the pack. Designing your own engine/game will definetly be harder but probably worth it in the long run.

Music sample sounds really nice and seems very reminiscient of FFVI which is always good.

Hero of Ages sounds pretty good (or if you want to go all out uber-cliche Hero of Legend ) Only criticism about the title I could think of is that anybody who just sees the title, and never bothers to read up on the game, is going to think single character because of the use of the singular hero and probably mistake the game for a hack and slash.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 08:54   Link #27
Babak

The game I was talking about earlier (A Game About Death) is finished.
But we decided to stop working on it after the beta and start working on a new re-make of it instead.
Here's the site, download the beta (well, it isn't really a beta, but it still is. Bah, lets just call it a test-version.) if you want to and if you feel like it, comment it and say what _you_ would want to see in the remake, A Game About Death - Redux.
Babak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 13:43   Link #28
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babak
The game I was talking about earlier (A Game About Death) is finished.
But we decided to stop working on it after the beta and start working on a new re-make of it instead.
Here's the site, download the beta (well, it isn't really a beta, but it still is. Bah, lets just call it a test-version.) if you want to and if you feel like it, comment it and say what _you_ would want to see in the remake, A Game About Death - Redux.

I downloaded it and I'm pretty impressed. The atmosphere (especially the music!) is done very well. I only played it through the beginning (because I kept dying ), but are there more enemies than just the zombies that keep coming? I really like the dash ability though, I think that's a cool idea. I watched your trailer too, which was also well done. Keep it up!
Old 2004-06-15, 15:12   Link #29
Babak

Thanks for the comments.

There are 2 stages (and a short, 3rd one), and only one type of enemy which is the zombies. Well, if you don't count with A***in the 3rd stage that is.
Babak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 19:29   Link #30
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

*Bump*

Any news Roots?
Old 2004-06-18, 21:15   Link #31
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babak
Thanks for the comments.

There are 2 stages (and a short, 3rd one), and only one type of enemy which is the zombies. Well, if you don't count with A***in the 3rd stage that is.
You're welcome In your future game I recommend you have at least more than one type of enemy. AGAD is a lot of fun at first, but I can imagine how quickly people will tire of it. Good luck on your new project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin+
*Bump*

Any news Roots?
Glad to see you're that interested! Yes there's a lot of things to share. I've spent almost my entire time in the last week on this project and I'm getting more and more excited about it. As you can see in my sig, the game now has a name and a website: Hero of Allacrost Website. Biohazard designed the site, so if you like it props go out to him

We've also been discussing several new features for the game in our own forums. I won't post everything that's been said here, but here is a link to the thread where we are currently debating what should go in the game and what shouldn't. To summarize a few of those features:

- CAL System: Concurrent Attack Limitations. Prevents players from using powerful attacks over and over.
- Mages only cast magic, they do not have melee attacks.
- Mage 'weapons' only amplify magical ability: They are not used to physically attack.
- Skill System: 3 types of melee skills: attack, defense, and support. Skills require time to charge before they can be used. This is in contrast to just having a plain 'attack' command.
-' Concentrate' or 'Meditate' ability: recharges magic power faster but leaves character more vulnerable to attack

If you want to sign up to our forums and discuss the features in this thread or list some of your own, I'd be very happy to hear your opionions. I'm trying to gather as many people's opinions as I can so I can generally feel comfortable that our players will like the feature. If you don't want to sign up for whatever reason, I'll understand but I will still read your opinions posted here in this thread on AnimeSuki if you choose not to register.

Thanks for all your support you guys. You've been my main source of information for this project

(PS: If anyone is interested in contributing to the game, check out the jobs page )
Old 2004-06-19, 05:06   Link #32
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Sorry, too late and probably too lazy to sign up now to post on your forums but had a few comments/ideas about the stuff I read on there.

No save points in dungeons and experience/gold loss: My initial thought is that it won't work. No one will suffer the experience loss if they can simply restart from their last save and recover their exp/gold. An alternative to making death more impacting would be something like ditching the phoenix down type items for recovering lost allies and making players go back to town to revive them (old school Nintendo fun!) until maybe player mages have gotten strong enough to cast Life. (or make it more expensive: Phoenix down was always to cheap in rpg's: a miracle potion that can bring you to life and it's cheaper than a rusty dagger...)

Health/Magic going into battle: I'd caution about the resting/going into battle full health/magic thing that I read on there is a little troubling because it might make a dungeon feel like a bunch of repetitive battles than being seen as a whole experience. Basically if you can beat the toughest fight in the dungeon, you just have to do it so many times to beat the dungeon(if you can easily get full health/magic b4 battle) versus surving the dungeon as a whole (hope that makes sense).

The combo/skill system: I could see the combo system working in a few ways such as a attack/defense skill being counterattack and defense/support being protect (an ally) and maybe a combination of the two for an attack/defense/support skill that both protects and counterattacks. I think there might be a limit to how many combo skills could be come up w/ though.

Having specific levels for the skills: May be better to go with a mix like in Disgaea. Weapon specific skill levels were determined by how often you used a weapon and proficient you became in that weapon. However, major characters each had unique skills available only to them that they would gain at specific character levels or story points. Even if you just make all skills available at certain levels a player could still customize which skills their character is better at if they can strengthen skills by using them. Actually though, for now might just want to concentrate on making a simple attack system (or focusing on the basics) since I think issues like this would require a lot of playtesting and balancing(making sure some paths aren't too overpowered or others too weak).

The whole attack + defense skill lvls < 10 : Seems like this would be easier accomplished by choosing appropriate equipment and maybe the kind of back row/front row setup seen in some rpgs where the front row had higher attack and lower defense and the back row had lower attack and higher defense. Would definetly be annoying to work yourself into a corner where your character was having trouble getting past a point because his defense was too weak, or his attack wasn't strong enough, or his support wasn't enough to keep his allies alive.

Might be simpler to have multiple battle stances available for a character in battle and just let players switch those on the fly ( maybe one high in attack low in everything else(berzerk/blitzkrieg),a better defense/support one(sentry), another more balanced, and so on and so on, could even have these stances require players to search out teachers/instructors to teach em these new stance/fighting styles [though to be honest I don't know how excited players would be to just change numbers that they may or may not see a direct result of unless some skills(or maybe just a combination of skills) were unique to certain stances]) yeesh sorry run on sentence there....

Learning magic and skills: I kinda like the idea of people having to learn magic and maybe even skills from others/books/manuscripts(like in shenmeu, he'd learn new moves by finding ancient martial arts scrolls) rather than just "magically"/"intuitively" learning spells on the fly..."wow after that last battle I feel stronger somehow, I think I now understand the intricasies of tossing fireballs at my oppenents" [mage gains a level. mage learns Fireball 1.]

Concurrent Attack Limitations (CAL): I think a more realistic (but probably harder to program) limitation would be to have enemies respong to repeated techniques. Basically the more often you do a technique on the same enemy the less effective/unlikely it is to hit (probably based on the enemy and his abilities--a skilled swordsman will eventually learn to avoid/block/counter a strong technique the more often he sees it (kenshin vs saitoh[anime tie-in! yay!]) where a blob may never realize where that fireball that keeps hitting him is coming from)

yeesh think my post is getting too long so gonna cut it short here and get some rest
Old 2004-06-19, 12:27   Link #33
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Wow, thanks for the uber-long post Sanjuronord. Here are my comments to your comments

1) At about 2:30AM last night I realized the flaw about having no save points, and that was that there were no save points . It would be annoying if you were deep in a dungeon and had to return to town just to save your game. So I changed my policy on that (see my latest post in the thread), and that we'll probably have a save point at the beginning and in the middle of the dungeon on average.

2) Umm no one said anything about full health at the start of every battle (but full magic was mentioned). I agree with you though, that will make the game WAY too easy. And it also contradicts the battle wear idea (the impact of previous battles should affect the next). I strongly support no health recovery and only a gradual magic level recover.

3) Yes, the combo skill system has its limits. I'm still a little indifferent on the idea. It worked well in games like Chrono Trigger, but I think it's a little extraneous to add to the game when it already has so much else going for it (MAPS, etc).

4) I agree with your opinion about the weapon skill/customization. It doesn't particularly sound like a bad idea, but it will be difficult for us to balance, especially when the game is being released one module at a time.

5) I agree. I don't like the attack + defense skill levels < 10 equation at all.

6) Interesting idea about allowing multiple battle stances. I like it, but as you said I'm not sure if players would be too excited unless they could clearly see the results of changing stances. I'm going to bring this idea up to the group, I think it has great potential. Thanks!

7) I am also supporting the magic/skill book learning method Only instead of just finding/buying a book and automatically saying "Wow, after reading that page I now know how to perfectly execute a triple slash attack with a thunderstrike finishing blow!", they learn skills as XP levels increase as long as the book remains in their inventory. We are still debating whether to make this system relative or absolute leveling. In relative (which I like better), if you buy the book at level 5 lets say you learn the first skill after raising two XP levels (and if you bought the book at level 7 then you'd learn the first skill at level 9). In absolute, you'd always learn the first skill at level 7 (and if you bought the book at level 9, you'd automatically learn the new skill). What do you think is better?

8) I like your proposal of character's attacks being less effective the more they are used. I don't really want them to change their defenses (because that's unrealistic, how can you suddenly get more resistance against an attack?), but I'd like to see them have a better chance of evading the attack. Another excellent idea

Thanks for your time Sanjuronord, you're really helping us out
Old 2004-06-20, 07:11   Link #34
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Hehe, that'll teach me to write long winded posts (comp screwed up and having to restart this post durn azureus...)

1) Doubt many will be able to resist the temptation of the restart button Could still "get them" if you were to charge gold to use save points but some might get annoyed at that.

2) Yes I misread that part about magic and then somebody mentioned NeverWinter Night's setup about resting between battles where you'd recover health and mana for free (the game would say that 6 hours had passes or something in game time but time seemed meaningless anyways so it was completely free and basically broke the game).

3) I was talking about skills that required you to have certain levels in multiple areas (attack, defense, support) but I think the combo (multiple characters) attacks would be hard to flesh out and balance (loved chrono trigger but the big combo skills were usually weaker than just using seperate attacks)

5) I could see such a system working but it would need a higher number than 10 like a 100 (w/ 10 it'd be easy to go a bad direction, w/ more points you'd have more time to balance it out) but this would just be more micro-management

7) Only problem I would see with a relative system would be that a lvl 45 mage should learn a spell faster than a lvl 5 mage learning the same spell. (Not to mention in most rpg's the time spent going from lvl 5 to lvl 10 is nothing compared to the time spent going from lvl 45 to lvl 50) Might be a bit more realistic (and complicated! joy!) to assign difficulties to a spell based on how powerful it is and have relative times for a spell based on a mage's level. For example:
Fireball 1
Lvl 1-10 Five levels
Lvl 20-30 Four levels
Lvl 30-35 Three Levles
Lvl 40-45 Two Levels
Lvl 46-49 One Level
Lvl 50 Immediately and just pretends he already knew the spell and just never saw fit to use it before.

For a higher level spell like Ultima or Ragnarok or what have you...you might want to set absolute limits on what level you can begin learning a spell to prevent lower level mages from learning them early on.

8) My idea was mostly for boss fights (I think you've got ample restrictions on magic recovery to prevent overabuse of any "uber" skills in random battles since they'll want to be as close to full health/magic as possible b4 the boss fight). The reaction I was refering to was something like that episode of Kenshin I mentioned, Saitoh has his uber sword thrust technique that he's wailing on Kenshin with but after 2-3 consecutive uses Kenshin has seen the attack enough that he's developed counters/evades to use against the technique. Basically, if a character keeps doing the same attack over and over again, the boss character would eventually have to expect it and would try to prepare himself for it (via dodging or preparing a counter attack). For added flare, could include some good villain banter(nothing like a good smack talk in the middle of a battle!) in there once the've gotten accustomed to an attack too if players keep trying to use their uber skill. "Fool! Your skills are too weak..."

This whole idea would require scripting each boss fight individually I suppose, since you wouldn't want each boss to respond the same either or it'll feel artificial (want the fight to feel like you're fighting against the boss's skills and not fighting within the rules of a game).

Last edited by Sanjuronord; 2004-06-20 at 07:23.
Old 2004-06-20, 14:53   Link #35
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Wow dude, you rock! I was just thinking last night about the disadvantages of absolute and relative skill/magic learning and thinking that there must be a middle ground that eliminates both of those weaknesses. You my friend, have found it

I like the idea of bosses that are intelligent enough to defend against attacks after they've seen them enough (ala Kenshin). It might be hell for our AI programmer, but that shouldn't matter I quoted you on both 7) and 8) in your reply in our feature thread at the Allacrost forums. I hope that we can finalize our list of features by the end of this week so we can finish the overview of the game and get to programming

Again thanks a lot for your valueable input!
Old 2004-06-20, 16:05   Link #36
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
I hope that we can finalize our list of features by the end of this week so we can finish the overview of the game and get to programming
Yes you guys are gonna make all kinds of hell for yourselves if you don't draw a line soon and just start programming what you have.
Old 2004-06-20, 16:53   Link #37
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Yes you guys are gonna make all kinds of hell for yourselves if you don't draw a line soon and just start programming what you have.
I agree. I thought the original 11 features we had were enough, but more great ideas just kept coming and coming. Well actually a lot of the 'new' stuff we've been discussing are not really new/innovative features to the game, but rather how the battle systems are going to work out, and just the inner workings of the game really. Seriously though, we might have to list you as a contributor for this game
Old 2004-07-10, 21:00   Link #38
Remian

Roots, i am very proud of you. I have already made 22 games using the RPG maker programs, and i am happy that you are actually making your game. Unlike ChibiDusk who just says he will make a game..idiot....

I hope your game will be fun and original. if you can, it will be great if you post it for download. Unless you plan to sell it...

I just need to know, I forgot how to make a linear storyline. can you help me out please??

Roots, you may one day become a true gammeker.

Dreams are like hot air ballons. If you dont actually remove the sand bags, the ballon will never fly. Your ballon is about to reach space

~Remian~
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 05:50   Link #39
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Thanks, my parents weren't exactly proud of me but its nice to know someone is.

Fun and originality are two things I'm definetly trying to achieve with this game. I think the MAPS system is going to be the most original feature in the game (and hurrah because it was my original idea!). The game will be for free and will not be sold. I want this game to be my gift back to the open source community, which I firmly believe in. Since the game is going to be released one piece at a time, it will get kind of redundant and annoying to post in this thread every single time we release a new module, and plus it would kinda be self-advertisement/spam. But all the latest news and releases will be made available on the game website at http://www.allacrost.org. Also I'm going to activate an announcement mailing list in the next few days so you can subscribe to that if you want to receive news about the project in your mailbox.

As for how to wirte linear storyline, my best advice is to write out the foundations for the story before you even think about the game. When you try to make the storyline and the game together at the same time, I think it's harder to pull off. Instead, write your story as if you were writing a fiction novel, and erase from your mind the fact that it will be a game. I can't give you much advice because I mean hey, this is my first shot at it. You must use your imagination and stretch it to its limits to write a good story I believe.

As for becomming a true game maker, heh, that was something that I thought I wanted to be when I was 17 or 18, but now its just what I want to be as my hobby. My real dream (I think) is to design advanced computer hardware/software that helps make the world a better place.
Old 2004-07-11, 08:30   Link #40
Remian

Good Job Roots. It seems you are actually getting somewhere unlike most.

Eventually as you get older, if you want to make that software that helps the world(how noble)you will need to learn coding. Grab Dark Basic from the local computer hardware store and take it for a spin some time. using RPG maker is alot more fun than coding, coding takes....knowledge......

anyway, I hope your game will be fun. And dont make it boring PLEEASE!!!!

and what RPG maker are you using?

Make it one of those innovating RPGs with one of those complex stories which makes the player play it at least 7 times to actually understand the complexity....

Yah i am crazy.....
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote