AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-11-16, 14:10   Link #881
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I'd just like to point out that the after-credits scene is a LITERAL cliffhanger.

*drops the mic*
Old 2013-11-16, 18:06   Link #882
KoiYuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
Can we get some images regarding this "salamander" that appeared? Just want to see it for myself. Having studied ecology, I might be able to confirm if its a lizard or a salamander.

To be more specific, I'm looking for specific things, which I'll ask questions about.

1. How many toes on the front legs?

2. Does it have scales?

3. Does it have an external ear opening?

4. Does it have claws, talons, or nail like structures?

5. What's the relative length of its legs?

On a side note, if said symbolism is in fact being played straight, it could serve as further evidence foreshadowing the "Zero Approval" theory.
Well, since no on else posted it:

There's also a salamander(?) right after Homura turns into a witch, but it's hard to see and it's pretty much a silhouette, so I don't think it'd make much sense to post it. You can't see if it has ear holes, scales, or anything. I think it also had 3 toes though, but it was hard to see.

Basically, it turned to look at her and cried, iirc. Oh, and it was a much more realistic silhouette than that one, but again, hard to see. I'll take pics if you want them though.
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 19:23   Link #883
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm finally going to write a more comprehensive movie review.

I'm putting it in spoiler space to save space, and for the benefit of those who haven't seen the movie yet.

Spoiler for RRR MMM3 Review:
Old 2013-11-16, 20:32   Link #884
Sayaka's sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I'm putting it in spoiler space to save space, and for the benefit of those who haven't seen the movie yet.

That was great review, and I agree with you on all points.

That being said I'm sure we have nothing to worry about with it having a sequel, it's pretty much guaranteed. Hopefully a second season rather than a sequel though as I feel from watching it (and from reading it before) that it feels as though it'd be a link or bridge type of story.
Old 2013-11-16, 21:23   Link #885
magnum12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
Well, since no on else posted it:

There's also a salamander(?) right after Homura turns into a witch, but it's hard to see and it's pretty much a silhouette, so I don't think it'd make much sense to post it. You can't see if it has ear holes, scales, or anything. I think it also had 3 toes though, but it was hard to see.

Basically, it turned to look at her and cried, iirc. Oh, and it was a much more realistic silhouette than that one, but again, hard to see. I'll take pics if you want them though.
Looking at that picture, I can say with pretty high certainty that the pic is of a salamander.

Salamanders have no more than 4 toes on their front feet and no more than 5 on their back feet. Some species have less. Compare with lizards, which have five toes on their front and back feet.

The lack of ear openings could be a silhouette effect, but since salamanders have no external ear openings (not like lizards do), that's potentially a clue that what we're dealing with is a salamander. The lack of claws indicates salamander. The only thing that's off is leg length. Salamanders have stubbier legs than lizards, but I blame this more on artistic license, but other than that, SHAFT seems to have done their homework.

The more realistic looking image would be a nice challenge to decipher, but I don't mind either way.

Last edited by magnum12; 2013-11-16 at 21:36.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 22:10   Link #886
GDB

Okay... whoever wrote this movie was tripping balls. Hard. Especially the first half hour or so. To be extra specific, the cake scene. My god. And how the hell did Homura become strong enough to become Homucifer?

I did enjoy all the Kyoko x Sayaka scenes, though. Especially the hand holding in the battle to save Homura.

Last edited by GDB; 2013-11-16 at 22:29.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 00:00   Link #887
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Okay... whoever wrote this movie was tripping balls. Hard. Especially the first half hour or so. To be extra specific, the cake scene. My god.
You know, one of my teachers (who is a massive anime-fan himself... Heck, the one class I've got him in is literally about analyzing various genres and authors within the anime medium) said a few days ago that he'd been watching Madoka, and in his eyes it seemed to be a parody of the Magical Girl genre. Now I completely disagree with that statement even after he went and explained what he meant (and revised his statement after I challenged him on his defintion on the term and pointed out that even if one does find Madoka to be a humorous show, it's very obviously not trying to be humorous), but... The first 30 minutes of this movie are totally a parody of the Magical Girl genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And how the hell did Homura become strong enough to become Homucifer?
Total Deus Ex Machina brought about by Shinbo's request that the movie leave the door open for a sequel. I've seen plenty of speculation as to what caused it in-universe, but I've yet to see any theory where I can honestly say "Yeah, that makes sense".
Old 2013-11-17, 01:32   Link #888
sailorcrisp

Quote:

Thankyou for the review!!!

On another note, I hope the final scene isn't set in stone... (whether it be symbolic or not in regards to Homura being alone) I hope Homura doesn't stay alone forever... With all those timelines and sacrifices she made for so long... It's just not fair....
As Kyoko says "...for once, let me have a happy dream"

BRING ON THE SECOND SEASONNNNNNNN!
sailorcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 03:43   Link #889
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:

Spoiler for It's not Kami:
Old 2013-11-17, 04:14   Link #890
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Spoiler for It's not Kami:
Either is fine. She calls herself the Devil just because she opposes Madoka, who is regarded as God. But they're just magical beings with god-like powers, so if someone wants to call her Homukami, that's just fine.
Old 2013-11-17, 04:26   Link #891
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Total Deus Ex Machina brought about by Shinbo's request that the movie leave the door open for a sequel. I've seen plenty of speculation as to what caused it in-universe, but I've yet to see any theory where I can honestly say "Yeah, that makes sense".
My best bet would probably because of her wish where she wants to 'save' Madoka

Quote:
So if someone wants to call her Homukami, that's just fine.
B-but Homucifer is cooler Speaking of which, the quality of Homura's fanart that I found after the movie was pretty outstanding

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 06:03   Link #892
Wanderer
Goat

A little thing regarding Homura and the salamander earring: Homura's name means "flame" or "blaze".

Also, I'm about to watch the movie in the theater for my second time.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 06:28   Link #893
TruthsWraith
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post

I always laugh at that. Mainly because the interview pretty much says. "I during the design phase had this one ending in mind before Shinbo requested a different one. While thinking about it I got a breakthrough."

Keyword there is design phase and he already told Shinbo to go away before when he requested Sayaka be revived. So it isn't like Gen had to do it or anything nor does he dislike the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
My best bet would probably because of her wish where she wants to 'save' Madoka
If I had to make a guess it's the interaction with Madoka. In a way Homura could be said as the one who made Goddess!Madoka. So I keep getting the idea that what happened is her going witch let her use all the karmic weight from doing so. Basically it reset her because she was shifting forms causing her to get strong.

Though it's also very likely to Homura turning into a witch may have gave her a perspective we can't really understand. Letting her abuse a loophole or something. Speculation everywhere right now.
TruthsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 06:51   Link #894
Wanderer
Goat

Because a lot of things are left unexplained in the movie.
Old 2013-11-17, 07:12   Link #895
woxx

Everything is explained. And this explanation is not worse than explanation how Madoka could become god in original series.
Homura was able to do it, because she cursed her soulgem with love to Madoka instead of despair (all other soulgems are corrupted by despair before turning into grief seeds). As Madokami collects only despair from soulgems, she wasn't able to deal with Homura's one. So it was second trap for Madokami made by Homura. That's how Homura(as completely abnormal witch) captured her, took part of her law of cycles and only THEN she became Devil.

Last edited by woxx; 2013-11-17 at 07:48.
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 08:13   Link #896
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthsWraith View Post
I always laugh at that. Mainly because the interview pretty much says. "I during the design phase had this one ending in mind before Shinbo requested a different one. While thinking about it I got a breakthrough."
...So it wasn't a deus ex machina ending brought about at Shinbo's request, it was an ending different from the one that Urobuchi first thought of which he wrote in because Shinbo asked him to.

How are these even remotely different, exactly? The only thing in my post that wasn't in yours was the "deus ex machina"-bit... And the only hints at Homura's Devilification I can think of prior to it actually happening... would be in the opening credits. Prior to the exact moment when Homura grabs Madoka, I did not notice a single line of dialogue even vaguely alluding to the idea that Homura would be able to do such a thing. Again, not talking about character-motivations here, I've long since accepted that Homura is totally obsessed enough with saving Madoka that she'd go to this extreme, I'm specifically saying that nowhere in the film is the idea of it being possible to do brought up. Then it happens anyway. Then she says it's because of "love". After the fact. And I believe I've already said that I don't think that's an adequate explanation, especially considering how the series has been running on pure cynicism since day one.
Old 2013-11-17, 08:28   Link #897
woxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
...So it wasn't a deus ex machina ending brought about at Shinbo's request, it was an ending different from the one that Urobuchi first thought of which he wrote in because Shinbo asked him to.

How are these even remotely different, exactly? The only thing in my post that wasn't in yours was the "deus ex machina"-bit... And the only hints at Homura's Devilification I can think of prior to it actually happening... would be in the opening credits. Prior to the exact moment when Homura grabs Madoka, I did not notice a single line of dialogue even vaguely alluding to the idea that Homura would be able to do such a thing. Again, not talking about character-motivations here, I've long since accepted that Homura is totally obsessed enough with saving Madoka that she'd go to this extreme, I'm specifically saying that nowhere in the film is the idea of it being possible to do brought up. Then it happens anyway. Then she says it's because of "love". After the fact. And I believe I've already said that I don't think that's an adequate explanation, especially considering how the series has been running on pure cynicism since day one.
It's pretty much explained even with bad subs in Homura's speech, Homura/QB and Homura/Sayaka dialogues.
And this deus ex machina which allowed Madoka become God in original series is much more huge than in Rebellion.
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 09:16   Link #898
Wanderer
Goat

Just finished my second watch. It was a very different experience. Since I wasn't so shocked this time I could empathize with Homura a lot more.

Her suffering never ends.
Old 2013-11-17, 09:58   Link #899
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The only thing that makes some sense to me for why Homura was able to overwhelm Madokami is that her wish enabled it.

Homura wished to "protect" Madoka. Since it's Homura's wish, it would make sense that what constitutes "protection" is determined by her. Hence, Homura needs to be more powerful than even Madokami is in order to "protect" her from herself.

But then, Homura's actions are now negating Madoka's wish, so you essentially have two wishes in direct conflict with each other. I think this is why Homura is having to struggle a bit to hold back Madokami. It's also why I doubt that the current situation is sustainable.
Old 2013-11-17, 10:04   Link #900
GDB

Oh, it definitely isn't sustainable. When (let's face it, there's no if) they do another movie/season, I'm sure that will be the central plot of it (even if the focal point is the much wanted Shinbo-daily-lives setting).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka