AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

View Poll Results: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~Next Season~ - episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 19.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-23, 00:54   Link #41
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The non-KGNE fanboy perspective is most definitely unrepresented ITT, so I'll see if I can fill that.

The lack of continuity hurts this, but relentlessflame points out why it has to be that way. It's a jagged pill, but we really have no choice but to swallow it.

Anyway, my big problem with this is not dissimilar to my big problem with the KGNE TV series: the pacing is wretched. I don't know how to put this anymore eloquently, but a lot of that was boooring. I hated Mitsuki (I hated most of the characters in this, though, which is my other big problem with KGNE) but I can totally understand where tun is coming from. All the dates, the pointless everyday interactions, etc, etc, between Haruka and Takayuki were just there to pander to Haruka fanboys pining to see them together after the "injustice" of the TV series. Two or three such scenes to demonstrate the state of their relationship... acceptable. An entire episode? Yaaawwn. I was almost there with Takayuki in the cinema, thinking to myself "wake me up when this is over".

I guess it's worthwhile if you like the characters (how anyone can like Takayuki is just beyond me... actually, this is one thing that baffles me about shounen romances and their fans: the male leads are generally some combination of bland, smarmy or indecisive, yet fanboys want their favourite girl to end up with him). As for the rest of us, well this might get interesting once they throw some melodrama in. Which is ironic, since I thought the TV series had too much melodrama.
Old 2007-12-23, 01:45   Link #42
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Hm, the only thing that is wrong about this episode was that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien set the bar *THAT* high so I'm expecting something miraculously incredible to make me like this OVA. To be honest, it was kinda good. The ending was of course surprising, which adds a sense of suspense and variety, since it can't just be three episodes of cuddling.

8/10

As I said that, I'm looking forward to the next OVA. I didn't like the way they animated Takayuki at all, but Haruka was very cute, especially the look on her face when she just woke up. Like Skyfall said, we don't really know Mitsuki and Takayuki's relationship in this route, so we'll just have to guess and not incorrectly assume.
Old 2007-12-23, 03:25   Link #43
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
God dammit haruka causing unneccesary drama at the end >:O. I was happy to see things going so smoothly, but noooo. I guess drama is to be expected though from this series. I remember season 1 being the most drama filled and moving love anime's i'd ever seen.
Old 2007-12-23, 19:42   Link #44
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I disagree regarding this being anything near dramatic.

Honestly, Haruka frowning and making worried faces throughout their whole time kind of ruined it for me perhaps. The first season, although the time/episode ratio is around 14:1, was much much more dramatic, and this was kind of soft IMHO.

Then again, I guess it IS a Haruka path, so real judgments should not be made until there's more, but seriously. Much softer than the KGNE that I knew of.

The whole OVA was moving towards one action, and when it got there, it was already over. -_- The drama was soft at the end ~ It's just my opinion

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2007-12-23, 22:36   Link #45
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

wait is this like an alternate ending?.......
dammit i had closure too......... (T.T)
i'm still somewhat confuse with this, someone clearified it for me please

on a side note: shinji a friend...LOL....
Old 2007-12-23, 23:39   Link #46
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well speaking as a haruka fanboy I loved the OVA...On the other hand if I looked at the episode objectively it was fairly weak and didnt compare too favorably with most of the TV episodes.

But...meh...I still am a haruka fanboy in the end and I loved every bit of screentime she gets. Personally id almost rather seen what happened to her post TV series with her becoming pro and all. I don't have a huge amount of interest seeing her end up with Taka seeing as he was being incredibly clingy and almost creepy.

I loved the strong character she became near the end of the TV series and it kinda stinks to see her so weak again clinging to taka, but the ending of the episode gave me alittle hope atleast.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-12-24, 00:06   Link #47
HeeroX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Spoiler:
Wow, I felt almost the same thing, this isn't the same Takayuki.

They just pick the Haruka ending from the game, and animated a continuation from it.

I'm really disappointed, I expected at least some plot to Takayukis's choice.
Old 2007-12-24, 03:04   Link #48
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeroX View Post
Wow, I felt almost the same thing, this isn't the same Takayuki.

They just pick the Haruka ending from the game, and animated a continuation from it.

I'm really disappointed, I expected at least some plot to Takayukis's choice.
But thats the thing - the plot with his choices is there, we just didn't get to see it, because as you said - it continues the game story which we are assumed to know. Yes, it sucks for the anime only watchers and such change might be hard to swallow, but it all makes sense in the universe it is based upon. I know there is the ever-present subconscious desire to somehow connect this to the TV series, but thats is not supposed to be done here
Old 2007-12-24, 06:08   Link #49
kim8268

This isn't like the kimi ga nozomo eien I watch. It is like what fans desire not what the writer's desire or plot. It gave me the big "?" in my mind because it said to be the second season and I thought mizuki and takayuki were together and the second story was about for haruka's love.
I like the story plot today but I think It is just wrong if haruka and takayuki were to be together in the end. If it is like kanon's renewal (Kanon 2002 to kanon 2006) it will be fine.
Old 2007-12-24, 06:26   Link #50
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
*sigh* I duno why so many people are misleaded by the title...if they actually looked at the sources in the other thread >.> (I guess many didn't have a clue and just jumped in on this thinking that it was some sort of epilogue to the original series).

Something tells me that even though taka isn't such a jackass in this timeline, he still took what was needed from mitsuki to stabilize his ruined life. I am glad that he acknowledge that mitsuki saved his live by ruining her own but that was just it from him. Now he is just pouring all his love and attention into haruka which doesn't do mitsuki's love for him any justice. But this is haruka's route so we just have to accept that mitsuki is now gone to cooldown. Though I expect her to come back (maybe) and cause trouble

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-24, 07:55   Link #51
kim8268

Pls don't speak ill about mitsuki (no offense but I like mitsuki too) because I've observe season 1 and I think that the plot on the first season was right. Well I can accept the new plot for the second season I just hope that I will turn out in bad to good
Old 2007-12-25, 23:09   Link #52
Perishthethought

I thought this was excellent. I really like the quality of the animation - that's not to say it bares much of a resemblance to the original series. You can tell that they've obviously gone to great lengths to preserve the aesthetic of the original but it doesn't quite come off as a faithful representation. Still, nothing to cry about, and there'll be plenty of that from other sources.

I think the 'changes' in characters and the mysteries surrounding them are all fairly par for the course in terms of KGNE - its one of, if not the most important, reasons I love it. Prepare for a very non-linear method of storytelling, if I may be so pretentious for a minute. The differences in character seen so far are completely consistent with the alternate timeline. People seem to think the biggest change is within Takayuki, and you'd be absolutely right. At one point in the original series, Taka was considering a moonlight flit and taking his new job far away from the angst and anxiety of the two women before thinking better of it, being courageous and choosing Mitsuki, readdressing the balance of servitude and saying his last goodbyes to Haruka. What if Taka never got the courage to stop feeling obligated to Haruka? What would that do to his character? What if he continued to dote on her in the hospital bed regardless of the interference of outside factors? What level of devotion would that require?

The level of devotion that can lead to a girl feeling smothered and anxious. Takayuki's astonishing level of niceness is a symptom of him never actually thinking about his life in terms that do not include a relationship. This version of Taka has (despite possible 'indiscretions') remained faithful to his first love, Haruka. He has spent the whole of his adult life worrying about his bedridden childhood sweetheart - if we are to believe that he chose Haruka over Mitsuki, it could only be because of his dedication to her overwhelmed his love for Mitsuki. There are all sorts of other murky and regressive reasons for Takayuki re-embracing his childhood (and I believe it was referenced somewhat with a very welcome visitation to some of the hotspots of the original series. Every place Taka and Haruka went on a date, in fact, including right the way back to their first - almost going backwards through time), but we'll leave those for now. What is clear, however, is the level of decisiveness he reached in the original series never occurred. He never had that moment of clarity, that higher resolution - in effect, he never had to make the decision.

When you have been sat by the bed of your once comatose sweetheart for such a long time, what are you going to want to do the minute she leaves the hospital? Do everything with her, which Haruka is obviously getting worried about - but then again, when you have left hospital, wouldn't you want a certain degree of independence? The studying aspect of Haruka is an interesting angle, because it presents a disparity between her aspirations and the fact that because Taka was so hopelessly depressed, he abandoned his. Being reminded of that, and the huge burden of guilt that is much present, is absolutely the decisive factor for Haruka in making her decision to say goodbye (after only what seems like a few days!). But look at it this way - Taka has begun to integrate himself into the family unit to the point where he's her father's prospective drinking buddy. Pretty soon, it would be unavoidable for Haruka to eject him from her life. It's all moving very fast, and coupled with a panicked Haruka's perfectly natural anxiety at being on her feet and out in the wider world for the first time in years, it's a recipe for disaster.

Must admit I was surprised to see Shinji - I wonder what the hell went down there? The scene involving Mitsuki was too cryptic to warrant anything other than a very creative interpretation (although it's notable she's had the haircut and KEPT the ring, meaning she never walked out, depositing it in the tea - and it's obvious she's still fairly keen on him) but the flashbacks showed the 'date' of Takayuki and Mitsuki RIGHT up until the incident in the hospital and Takayuki being banned from seeing Haruka - and everyone knows what happened on that night. Now, the haircut would indicate that horizontal dancing did occur, but the lack of any indication of Takayuki revealing the fact that they had a relationship (outside of the 'date') is very intriguing - but I do think there's a reason for that.

The reintroduction of Mitsuki cannot occur within the first episode as we need this one to examine the state of Taka and Haruka's relationship, much as episode 3 of the original series barely involved Haruka and instead featured the hunt for a new apartment and the perennial problem of Takayuki's inability to move on (which, ironically, is also the reason Haruka seems to think she has burdened him). The major dramatic point of contention could very well be the revelation of the relationship, should one have occurred. Any angst up to this point is of the very same variety that occurred in episode 3 - shitty relationship stuff, relatively trivial problems that can be overcome with some understanding and communication. It's when the real earth shattering stuff arrives that things will take off - and that'll be Mitsuki.

Those wondering about the title (next season) should recognise that a major theme of the show is renewal. Every time significant events happen to Haruka (and the rest of the characters), it is springtime. Haruka's name is literally derived from the season of spring. Her character is grounded, of the earth, natural and all about growth and contemplation. Her contrast, Mitsuki (moon) is a swimmer, of water (against earth), dynamic and gregarious. Her interests are practical and physical, as opposed to the academia of Haruka. They are polar opposites, a dichotomy of the ideal woman - outside of that, the next season refers to the 'new' Haruka, moving out of the hospital and into her new life. It still means it's about Haruka, just not as obviously.

Anyway, the major question is still whether or not Taka and Mitsuki had a sustained relationship in this alternate dimension, and whether or not Haruka knows about it. Shinji mentions she apologises for the trouble she caused him, and the love hotel based exercise in inciting jealousy would only have occurred if she was intending to make Taka take notice. Perhaps this occurred anyway, and she had a relationship with Shinji to try and make Taka take notice of her? Shinji's recollection involves Mitsuki walking away from him at night, alone. Make of that what you will. The only reason Haruka could be ignorant of the relationship is either if a) they never had it or b) nobody told her - including that interesting scene in the hospital where Haruka slaps Mitsuki. It is interesting to note that Haruka begins physical therapy right after this, in order to release Taka of his burden and show him that she can "do things for him", much as she recognises Mitsuki has. Ironically this is one of the factors that pushes Taka further towards Mitsuki as her need for him is now greater than that of Haruka, who is seemingly developing some independence. If she never had the impetus to start physical therapy, if she never had the extra determination to keep Taka, could that mean she has never really had a chance to test their love?

The eagle eyed of you may have spotted that Taka's 'Virtual On' poster has disappeared from his wall (which was a symbol of his childhood, as Mitsuki eyes it as she's wondering about his complete lack of progress in the original series). Instead, he's got some tasteful art up (one of a space scene – remember the stargazing/telescope?) This was just one of the many, many details that made this half hour truly a treat for the fans. For a 30 minute episode to give such an interesting picture of a 'what-if' relationship, showing that, as always, things aren't simply peaches and cream, is a great achievement and exactly what I was looking for from this series. I await the next instalment eagerly, and I can't wait to have some of these mysteries solved.
Old 2007-12-26, 20:48   Link #53
ImpulseRAven
I <3 Kotomi

Im kinda wondering if this is actually Akane ending instead of a Haruka 1.....
Old 2007-12-26, 21:18   Link #54
Omfgbbqwtf

I guess Akane is going to be pretty mad after haering what happened. Haruka is just too nice. She probably felt that people have sacrifice too much for her. After hearing that Takayuki is doing everything for her instead of for himself, she decided to let him go. Still 3 more episodes to go.. so.. let's hope something good will happen.
Old 2007-12-27, 08:30   Link #55
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
KGNE is the only romance anime i have ever been able to watch past episode 3 wich put it in a very special place in my appreciation pole of anime.
So my question is what the hell is up in this ova?
The story starts out of the blue with no recap of what happened what so ever, at wich moment of the original show is this supposed to take place?
Mitsuki seems to have a different haircut from the one is the original serie it kinda lead me to believe that those ova are taking place after the serie ended or even that nothing happened between em, was the first serie completely scraped?

i hate delusional innocent naive character like haruka so the show started with a huge disadvantage so it was without surprise that i came to the conclusion this ova utterly blows and doesnt live up to what the people that actually like the show could have expected, it really seems you have be a haruka stalker and to have played the game in order to know what the hell is going on. this leads me to my next question will there be an ova staring the nurse???

i m waiting for the 4+screen long post of people disecting every episode like what happened for the first serie, and i m not talking about the haruka fans that had to wait 3 (4?) years in order to see the endin they were longing for
Old 2007-12-27, 09:06   Link #56
bluemist
i am the mist

If the main plot of this OVA series is just Haruka whining about Takayuki's newfound reliability and overprotectiveness of her, then screw this. This kind of story is so 'petty' compared to the overall drama that the TV series gave us.
Old 2007-12-27, 09:22   Link #57
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
wich moment of the original show is this supposed to take place?
None, which you would have found out by simply reading this very thread. The OVA continues the Haruka path from game. It is not directly related to KGNE TV series in any shape or form, outside of both being based on same source material. The OVA and TV series share no connection between the two.

I am starting to think we need a sticky of this ...
Old 2007-12-27, 10:11   Link #58
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
I have read most of this boards post but my question was more a rhetorical one.
Here is what really bother me :
Why the hell would people need to buy some game in order to understand what s happening.
I am strongly convinced that a good story is something that you can understand and appreciate without the need of a third party in order to be able to enjoy it. if they choose to take the haruka path then they need to give people that only watch the TV/OVA enought info for em to understand
This is where this OVA fail pathetically. At no point watchers are given any hint of what is going on (refer to definition of a good storytelling before saying it was announced.)
storytelling-wise (is that even a word?) this is show is a failure of epic proportion.
Old 2007-12-27, 12:21   Link #59
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I am strongly convinced that a good story is something that you can understand and appreciate without the need of a third party in order to be able to enjoy it. if they choose to take the haruka path then they need to give people that only watch the TV/OVA enought info for em to understand
This is where this OVA fail pathetically.
That's a nice opinion, but it has no objective basis. Just because you're "strongly convinced" doesn't make it fact -- they can write a story for whichever audience they damn well please, and there's no rule about that. If it appeals to those for whom it's meant, they succeeded; maybe it just means it isn't meant to appeal to you. Shocking...

Quote:
Why the hell would people need to buy some game in order to understand what s happening.
Because most of the target audience in Japan has already played it anyway. And if they haven't played it, they want you to buy it -- it's being re-released in a few months with this OVA series content added to it. In fact, even if you have played it, they want you to buy the re-release, hence using this OVA series as promo. The audience for this anime is not the general English fansub community.
Old 2007-12-27, 12:33   Link #60
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I have read most of this boards post but my question was more a rhetorical one.
Here is what really bother me :
This is where this OVA fail pathetically. At no point watchers are given any hint of what is going on (refer to definition of a good storytelling before saying it was announced.)
storytelling-wise (is that even a word?) this is show is a failure of epic proportion.
Try look at it form a marketing stand point and not a fan stand point.

The company is looking to milk more yen form Otaku's. They are not trying to tell a coherant story they making a commercial to sell more copies of the game that is being re-release.