Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-26, 17:56   Link #2701
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, if its a rightwing source its a code word for "communist" or "uppity serfs" ... if its a left wing source, its a code word for "someone who hasn't sold out to the corporate overlords unlike those Democrats over there".

Another flaky word that means pretty much what one wants it to mean: the happy-sugar meaning is "who who advocates change for the better". The crabby meaning is "o boy, yet more government programs that don't actually work very well".

It comes from the Woodrow Wilson era of the early 20th Century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Era and is primarily promoted by people who believe a strong well-educated middle class is essential for a strong democracy and a successful economic system.
Old 2009-05-26, 18:45   Link #2702
Shadow Kira01

Governor general eats seal's heart

This is definitely a very symbolic act that shows support to the seal hunters; it is also a method to protest European bans on seal products of Canada.
Old 2009-05-26, 19:33   Link #2703
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
No, the big fuss is the "shock and consternation" (only from rightwing talking heads) that she has some progressive views about the rights of employees and citizens. And (the horror!) she was appointed by a "progressive president". The rightwing was going to have a hissy fit no matter who was proposed, but the "not white woman" does mean the rightwing will have to tread carefully not to alienate the vast majority of the public.
I don't think it's as clear cut as you present it. There are some legit concerns that she may be unfit to be on the Supreme Court. I mean consider that somewhere around 80% of the appeals against her rulings that have gone to the Supreme Court have been overturned. Even more interesting is that some of the reasons other judges have overturned her has not been ideological in nature, but simply that she "got her statutory wrong", as in she simply didn't understand the law surrounding the case. This Judge has a history of putting the matters of law aside and using the cases she oversees to promote her own personal opinion on what would be "good positive social change". I don't care if you are a overly liberal judge or if you are an overly conservative judge, your job is to adjudicate law, it is not to promote your own personal agenda, no matter how well intended it may be.

That said, I don't think she will pass anyway. I think this is one of those rope-a-dope nominations presidents sometimes use in order to stir up all kinds of consternation about the first nominee. This way when he nominates the second person (his real nominee) people will have no patience to listen to more complaining from the opposition.

BTW, why would people complain about the fact that she's a she and also hispanic, do people really think America is just overflowing with misogyny and racism? I don't know, I mean I live in Massachusetts which is considered pretty progressive but, the age when men openly claimed someone as unqualified simply because of gender is pretty long gone. Ditto on race.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:07   Link #2704
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

Send a message via MSN to The Guy Named Zeo
Ex-NHLer Peter Zezel passes away, Died from a rare blood disorder at the age of 44.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280002

The man was a class act on and off the ice, my condolences go out to his family, his time came far to early. RIP Peter Zezel.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:22   Link #2705
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

This is definitely a very symbolic act that shows support to the seal hunters; it is also a method to protest European bans on seal products of Canada.
There's too much irrationality on rabid advocate's minds. Seal hunting is an important part of Canada's industry especially for the Maritime and Territorial regions we have. Its unfair that people livelihoods have to be taken away from them because other feel that its somehow violating so called "animal rights". Its no different from fishing and other forms of harvesting / domesticating. Who I'm sure they also want to ban. The Gov General has done something quite respectful today.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-05-26, 22:29   Link #2706
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

Quote:

I now have a lot more respect for her, and the meat from a seal is very good for you and tastes very rich. "Animal Rights" Groups aren't really in it for animals but for the money. The seal hunt protests bring in millions for these groups, and these people can and are very dangerous. The people they sucker into donating money do care about animals.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:08   Link #2707
Shadow Kira01

I think it was a good idea as to what the Governor has chosen to do as that letting the seals live will actually cause a lack of fish and seafood sufficiency as that the seals do eat a lot more fishes than your average human being. More over, the seal can be used both for consumption, medical purposes, and also the skin can be used as raw material for a variety goods. In fact, seals can also be considered as seafood by the Inuits.

7 U.N. members agree to respond to N. Korea 'directly and seriously'

Second nuclear test?

It looks like Hiroshima will have to reset the peace clock again.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:21   Link #2708
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

On the subject of the seal hunt:
Hockey Legend Paul Stastny sticks up for Sealers

Quote:
Former hockey superstar Peter Stastny, one of Canada's few allies in a historic European Parliament vote Tuesday to ban seal product imports, says it is a shame that Europeans aren't listening to the poor Canadian sealers.

On the anti-sealing lobby: "these people have millions of dollars," Stastny told Canwest News Service Monday. "And they are misleading people by telling them only one side of the story, and people just don't have the time to learn the facts."
Old 2009-05-26, 23:26   Link #2709
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I don't think it's as clear cut as you present it. There are some legit concerns that she may be unfit to be on the Supreme Court. I mean consider that somewhere around 80% of the appeals against her rulings that have gone to the Supreme Court have been overturned. Even more interesting is that some of the reasons other judges have overturned her has not been ideological in nature, but simply that she "got her statutory wrong", as in she simply didn't understand the law surrounding the case. This Judge has a history of putting the matters of law aside and using the cases she oversees to promote her own personal opinion on what would be "good positive social change". I don't care if you are a overly liberal judge or if you are an overly conservative judge, your job is to adjudicate law, it is not to promote your own personal agenda, no matter how well intended it may be.
Do you have a source on this? I haven't come across those claims before. Admittedly I haven't looked into this too deeply though, so I could have easily missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
There's too much irrationality on rabid advocate's minds. Seal hunting is an important part of Canada's industry especially for the Maritime and Territorial regions we have. Its unfair that people livelihoods have to be taken away from them because other feel that its somehow violating so called "animal rights". Its no different from fishing and other forms of harvesting / domesticating. Who I'm sure they also want to ban. The Gov General has done something quite respectful today.
They should. Overfishing has done major damage to fish stocks world wide. The populations of many former staples of the fish market have dropped so low that there simply isn't enough of them left to catch. This has itself devestated the fishing industry in many parts of the world. It's hard to maintain a livelyhood by fishing where there aren't enough fish left to catch to make it worth the operational expenses of the fishing boat. Stricter regulations would have helped prevent that. Of course no one wanted to hear that they should make a little less now so the industry is sustainable so they won't end up ruined later when they run out of catchable fish. No, after all it's a big ocean. There are plenty of fish out there, ignoring that only a few species are desirable for human consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy Named Zeo View Post
I now have a lot more respect for her, and the meat from a seal is very good for you and tastes very rich. "Animal Rights" Groups aren't really in it for animals but for the money. The seal hunt protests bring in millions for these groups, and these people can and are very dangerous. The people they sucker into donating money do care about animals.
It's not so much about animal rights as it is about stopping seals from being hunted to extinction in a cruel manor. Also remember, not all animal rights groups are peta or sea sheperds. There are many that are legitimate orginations that do not deserve to be grouped together with the nuts. The ban in question bars wide spread trade of seal products in Europe, while making exceptions for seals hunted by native populations.

A link to a more complete version of the article than the poorly editted stump posted above:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30945672/

Quote:
I think it was a good idea as to what the Governor has chosen to do as that letting the seals live will actually cause a lack of fish and seafood sufficiency as that the seals do eat a lot more fishes than your average human being. More over, the seal can be used both for consumption, medical purposes, and also the skin can be used as raw material for a variety goods. In fact, seals can also be considered as seafood by the Inuits.
Even if the average seal eats more fish than the average person, there are many many times more people, so human consumption of sea food greatly outweighs seal consumption of seafood. Also the ban is on trading seal products in the EU, while still making provisions for limited sale from Inuit populations. It's aimed at commercial seal hunting.

Quote:
7 U.N. members agree to respond to N. Korea 'directly and seriously'

Second nuclear test?

It looks like Hiroshima will have to reset the peace clock again.
This latest test was North Korea's second nuclear test. The first one was a while ago, the one that barely reached 1 kiloton and was widely considered to be a failure. They haven't tested another one since monday's test.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:34   Link #2710
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I don't think it's as clear cut as you present it. There are some legit concerns that she may be unfit to be on the Supreme Court. I mean consider that somewhere around 80% of the appeals against her rulings that have gone to the Supreme Court have been overturned.
Probably the most interesting and valid complaint I've read so far is that her rulings tend to be exhaustive... but extremely narrow in scope. In that sense it sounds as if she's a bit like Roberts and likes to skirt the Big Picture ruling in favor of ruling based on small minutiae (rather like the absurd sidestep ruling we got from the California Supreme Court today). I find that problematic no matter what her social leanings are.
Quote:
BTW, why would people complain about the fact that she's a she and also hispanic, do people really think America is just overflowing with misogyny and racism? I don't know, I mean I live in Massachusetts which is considered pretty progressive but, the age when men openly claimed someone as unqualified simply because of gender is pretty long gone. Ditto on race.
Heh!!! You need to spin the dial and listen to the talking points already churning down the channels. In so many words, a prime anti-confirmation talking point is that she makes emotional rulings (i.e. "irrational female"). The race thing is simply a *problem* for the GOP not because they're anti-brown (which many factions in it are but they use the codeword "immigration", like the GOP Georgia governor candidate that wants to take away automatic birthright citizenry in the US) but because the Latino vote is absolutely critical over the next generation or the GOP is toast as a viable party -- that's just the straight demographic trends talking.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:38   Link #2711
The Guy Named Zeo
stuff written here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
It's not so much about animal rights as it is about stopping seals from being hunted to extinction in a cruel manor. Also remember, not all animal rights groups are peta or sea sheperds. There are many that are legitimate orginations that do not deserve to be grouped together with the nuts. The ban in question bars wide spread trade of seal products in Europe, while making exceptions for seals hunted by native populations.

A link to a more complete version of the article than the poorly editted stump posted above:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30945672/
Well those groups that you are talking about call themselves animal welfare groups, they do good work. When I think about animal rights, I think of groups like peta, SSCS, Greenpeace etc, I think of vegans telling me I can't eat meat. Something to back up my claims is this site.

http://www.naiaonline.org/about/policy_intro.htm

Canada threatens to launch a complaint with the WTO when it comes to the ban.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...l-ban-505.html

Edit: I put in the wrong link and changed it, and these are just my views so no offense is meant by what I say.

Last edited by The Guy Named Zeo; 2009-05-27 at 00:36. Reason: wrong link
Old 2009-05-27, 02:13   Link #2712
Green²
It's bacon!

North Korea Threatens Armed Strike, End to Armistice

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...okM&refer=home

Quote:
May 27 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea threatened a military response to South Korean participation in a U.S.-led program to seize weapons of mass destruction, and said it’s no longer bound by the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War.

“The Korean People’s Army will not be bound to the Armistice Agreement any longer,” the official Korean Central News Agency said in a statement today. Any attempt to inspect North Korean vessels will be countered with “prompt and strong military strikes.”

The threats are the strongest since North Korea tested a nuclear weapon on May 25, drawing international condemnation and the prospect of increased sanctions against the communist nation. South Korea dispatched a warship to its maritime border and is prepared to deploy aircraft, Yonhap News reported, citing military officials it didn’t identify.

“This rapid-fire provocation indicates a more aggressive shift in the Kim Jong Il regime,” said Ryoo Kihl Jae, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul.
Old 2009-05-27, 02:35   Link #2713
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
North Korea Threatens Armed Strike, End to Armistice
Someone wants to push the envelope a little too far. but, in a way, it could force everyone involved to move the elephant out of the room at last.
Old 2009-05-27, 04:31   Link #2714
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Someone wants to push the envelope a little too far. but, in a way, it could force everyone involved to move the elephant out of the room at last.
yeah they do that. it's about time to bomb that little ronery dictator's ass.

Who's in for a free, democratic North Korea?

Last edited by Thingle; 2009-05-27 at 04:42.
Old 2009-05-27, 06:47   Link #2715
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
yeah they do that. it's about time to bomb that little ronery dictator's ass.

Who's in for a free, democratic North Korea?
Complete with a smoking Seoul, at the very least, and the PRC would definitely demand a unified Korea to allow their influence inside to counter the States.
Old 2009-05-27, 07:32   Link #2716
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

@Kamui

Quote:
Do you have a source on this? I haven't come across those claims before. Admittedly I haven't looked into this too deeply though, so I could have easily missed it.
I couldn't find the original source but a quick google search came up with a few interesting sources. Well ...when I say interesting I really mean incredibly boring, but you asked for sources and I tried to comply, so I hope you enjoy reading law minutia.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/judge-s...nions-part-ii/

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/sta...ion-cases.html

Oh and a mistake on my part was the 80% claim. It was actually 60% or so. To be fair she's had over 300+ rulings and I think 5 have gone to the supreme court, 3 of which were overturned. So it's not really a good sampling of her work. I'm gonna pull back criticism of her for now hoping that more thorough representations of her works get brought out. I mean, to me supreme court appointees are one of the most important jobs a president has so I try to take it seriously when these nominees get presented to us. That said reading law writings is a major drag.
Old 2009-05-27, 08:00   Link #2717
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
@Kamui

I couldn't find the original source but a quick google search came up with a few interesting sources. Well ...when I say interesting I really mean incredibly boring, but you asked for sources and I tried to comply, so I hope you enjoy reading law minutia.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/judge-s...nions-part-ii/

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/sta...ion-cases.html

Oh and a mistake on my part was the 80% claim. It was actually 60% or so. To be fair she's had over 300+ rulings and I think 5 have gone to the supreme court, 3 of which were overturned. So it's not really a good sampling of her work. I'm gonna pull back criticism of her for now hoping that more thorough representations of her works get brought out. I mean, to me supreme court appointees are one of the most important jobs a president has so I try to take it seriously when these nominees get presented to us. That said reading law writings is a major drag.
Oh, I doubt anyone enjoys reading it. Thanks though. Given that the way the Supreme Court works though, it doesn't suprise me that her rulings were overturned more than 50% of the time. After all, they can choose to not hear a case that they don't want to rule on or think isn't likely that they'll overturn it.

I did hear something about a comment she made while speaking at Duke University that could effect her chances of nomination though. I didn't hear any details about it though.
Old 2009-05-27, 09:45   Link #2718
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
I did hear something about a comment she made while speaking at Duke University that could effect her chances of nomination though. I didn't hear any details about it though.
I think you are talking about this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC99LrrM2Q

It's a pretty short clip so who knows what the context really was, I'm not really gonna try and judge the person by a 40 sec sound byte, even if it does speak to some concerns about her perceptions about what a judge really should be doing.

In case anyone is wondering why this would be an issue, let me try and explain (at least this is how I see it). In America we the people are supposed to elect politicians to represent us. This way we can be sure that these representatives will most likely make laws that reflect the wants and needs of there electorate (that is if they want to get re-elected). The problem with judges who try to create social change from the bench is that they are completely unelected and what they might think of as positive social change might be negative social change to somebody else. A lot of people are uncomfortable with that idea...
Old 2009-05-27, 12:58   Link #2719
Shadow Kira01

Aso, Hatoyama fail to have thorough policy debate

Quote:
''For most people, it's not understandable that Mr. Ozawa assumed the post of (DPJ) vice president'' despite stepping down as party leader to take the blame for the scandal, Aso said.
V.S.

Quote:
Hatoyama also slammed Aso for having no vision for the future while appearing entirely focused on his ''yu-ai'' (fraternity) philosophy that aims to create a society filled with love and happiness.
Old 2009-05-27, 13:53   Link #2720
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Hatoyama and his thug friend Ozawa makes even Aso look like Einstein.
That scandal was a great oppourtunity to get rid of these scums and their ilk from the top chairs of Democratic Party of Japan, I was hoping for a total clean out and a reform of DPJ.
Alas, all we got was this idiotic farce that changed nothing, not even the faces.

It's terrible when you're a liberal, but can't find any redeeming quality or ability to even put a shred of trust in the democratic party.
You're forced to vote for LDP not because of your beliefs, but because DPJ is even more corrupted to the point of absolute lack of confidence. Nor can they define policies that benefits their own nation.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international