AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-17, 16:52   Link #81
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I take most doomsdays conspiracies as pure fiction . Though there is some minuscule amount of scientific backing on this . Till it actually happens it will still remain pure fiction in my books .

Quote:
The Maya's ancient calendar's long term, (which is supposed to be very precise on dates of eclips and such) voluntarily ends on that day.
I seen a documentary on this by the History Channel and its quite intriguing . Only if I could remember the name of that documentary . =/
Old 2009-10-17, 18:15   Link #82
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
I take most doomsdays conspiracies as pure fiction . Though there is some minuscule amount of scientific backing on this . Till it actually happens it will still remain pure fiction in my books .

I seen a documentary on this by the History Channel and its quite intriguing . Only if I could remember the name of that documentary . =/
Calling something like that a documentry is stretching the definition of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy
Cracked.com's article about the 2012 apocalypse predictions is rather illuminating.

Frankly, looking forward, if we're going to be wiped out by something other than a competing sentient race or a supernatural event, it will have to take place relatively (on a cosmic scale) soon, before the accelerating advancement of technology puts human civilization beyond the reach of such things. If humans are still around in a billion years, let alone five, I highly doubt we'd let anything harm our homeworld, and by that point it would most likely be a matter of letting it happen.
If our decendents are still around in a billion years, I doubt they would even remember where their homeworld is. Assuming they hadn't long ago completely disassembled Earth for raw materials.
Old 2009-10-17, 18:19   Link #83
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Calling something like that a documentry is stretching the definition of the word.
Well that qualifies for most of History Channel's so called Quality programming

EDIT :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well some company is going to launch satellites into orbit and mindwipe all of us.
Well I can say even go so far as to say . Though 6 years late when it comes to Propaganda Tv we beat em commies

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2009-10-17 at 20:08.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 18:31   Link #84
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Well that qualifies for most of History Channel's so called Quality programming
True enough.
Old 2009-10-17, 20:01   Link #85
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well some company is going to launch satellites into orbit and mindwipe all of us.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:16   Link #86
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

That day is simply when the Mayan Calendar rolls over. Ours rolls over every December 31st. The Mayan calendar just lasted 5000 some years. So basically it would be like people in the future being scared every new year that the world would end, just because that's when an ancient calendar rolled over.
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:38   Link #87
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bland View Post
That day is simply when the Mayan Calendar rolls over. Ours rolls over every December 31st. The Mayan calendar just lasted 5000 some years. So basically it would be like people in the future being scared every new year that the world would end, just because that's when an ancient calendar rolled over.
Far, far in the future, technology has advanced at an enormous rate. Genetic engineering has changed the concept of time, as the amount of time it takes people to process information has been dramatically reduced. The expansion of networking has allowed tasks to be completed almost as soon as they have been conceived. Travelling has approached close-to-light speed. The acceleration of changing social trends has reached a blurring speed, and trends change almost as soon as they have begun. Time is measured in milliseconds.

One minute, a historical scientist finally uncovers the secret of the ancient calendars. It tells of the beginning of recorded time and tells of the end of time, measured under the concept of the "year". He realizes the message their ancestors had left for them: their warning of the end of time, and that they don't have much time left.

lololololol
Anyway, I don't believe this at all, for most of the reasons already mentioned. In fact, other than mass media coverage and public hype, I don't believe anything will happen at all, because I don't see a need to. It's a fun joke topic though.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 01:18   Link #88
npcomplete

While the time period does coincide with a galactic alignment--which is interesting in and of itself--it's really unfortunate that people misinterpret and further sensationalize this date as some doomsday or apocalypse.

The Mayans did not say that at all. I would recommend this book as the author, who spent 23 years on the subject and with the Mayans themselves, dives deep into Mayan culture and cosmology. The only thing suggested by the Mayan legends is that it reflects a period of transformation.

Quote:
In 1966, scholar Michael D. Coe first proposed the idea there could be cataclysmic events tied to end of the Mayan calendar in December 2012. But Coe's Armageddon-styled interpretation was seen through the biases of his Judeo/Christian background, Jenkins argued.

One of the few surviving Mayan books (most were destroyed during the Conquest) was the Dresden Codex, which contained sophisticated and accurate astronomical charts and a calendar of Venus' cycles. The planet, which changes from the Evening Star to the Morning Star over time, was incorporated into Mayan mythology in legends like Quetzalcoatl that invoke sacrifice, death, and rebirth, said Jenkins. He also spoke about the roots of shamanism in ancient Maya-- their High King was a shaman who would take sacred plants, to travel between this world and the supernatural realm, to bring back knowledge.
And while one can dismiss the myths as myths, the cosmology and calendar is uncannily accurate. It would be funny if that knowledge also came from taking the shrooms
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 01:36   Link #89
qwertyuiopz

i will end the world on 2010, just to prove you believers wrong
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 01:38   Link #90
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete
And while one can dismiss the myths as myths, the cosmology and calendar is uncannily accurate. It would be funny if that knowledge also came from taking the shrooms
For all the heaps of insult we throw at astrology nowadays (most deserved), such systems of beliefs did inspire humans to achieve amazing breakthroughs in scientific knowledge.

Looking at the stars is a common thing to do in many civilizations, and they often spurred similar results in sufficiently advanced ones -- Chinese knowledge in astronomy owed a lot to their astrologers looking at the stars to determine the Mandate of Heaven or, more practically, the "most auspicious" time to start planting rice.

Such accidents and beneficial side effects of otherwise useless pursuits don't limit themselves to observing the skies, either. The Egyptian Old Kingdom pyramids being the most prominent example: prestige projects of petty, superstitious god-kings with too much resources on their hands, yet I have no doubt they must have been the force that led many an Egyptian priest to the pursuit of mathematics.

Of course, nowadays we don't need them. Modern scholars working in the framework of the scientific method are churning out new knowledge at a dizzying rate. So fast that most of the population can't catch up and resort to old prophecies to make sense of their world.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 03:39   Link #91
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

In 2012, one of this will occur:

- Duke Nukem 4ever get released and the world explodes
- I lose my virginity and the world implodes
- ZUN dies of liver failure, signaling the end of Touhou, and the fans go berserk. Three days later he returns and the world Takes It Easy
- Suzumiya Haruhi
- All of the above

Seriously, nothing will happen.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 17:20   Link #92
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
As long as the world ends sometime after 2092 I'll be fine. (I hope to reach 100 years of age.)
Old 2009-10-20, 14:33   Link #93
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Mayans 'Fed Up' With 2012 Doomsday Scenarios
Experts Insist End-Of-World 'Prediction' A Baseless Western Myth

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press writer
MEXICO CITY (AP) ―
Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

It can only get worse for him. Next month Hollywood's "2012" opens in cinemas, featuring earthquakes, meteor showers and a tsunami dumping an aircraft carrier on the White House.

At Cornell University, Ann Martin, who runs the "Curious? Ask an Astronomer" Web site, says people are scared.

"It's too bad that we're getting e-mails from fourth-graders who are saying that they're too young to die," Martin said. "We had a mother of two young children who was afraid she wouldn't live to see them grow up."

Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, says the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas.

A significant time period for the Mayas does end on the date, and enthusiasts have found a series of astronomical alignments they say coincide in 2012, including one that happens roughly only once every 25,800 years.

But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials such as one on the History Channel which mixes "predictions" from Nostradamus and the Mayas and asks: "Is 2012 the year the cosmic clock finally winds down to zero days, zero hope?"
So there is no 2012... there's probably be a small rock hitting earth which will cause no damage lol but nothing at all.
Old 2009-10-20, 14:38   Link #94
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I honestly never bought that whole "the world ends in 2012" stuff. There's always a new prediction for when the world will end, because for some reason humankind is fascinated with the concept of our own demise. The world didn't end in 2000, it didn't end anytime before then, and there's certainly no reason for it to end in 2012.
Old 2009-10-20, 14:45   Link #95
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
So there is no 2012... there's probably be a small rock hitting earth which will cause no damage lol but nothing at all.
Interestingly enough, I heard a meteor will hit the Earth in roughly 20 years.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 14:48   Link #96
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
How big a meteor are we talking about? It'd have to be a pretty big one to have a negative impact on the planet.
Old 2009-10-20, 14:59   Link #97
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
If this is in relation to what I think it is, they've ruled that out. There was apparently a meteor that looked like it would collide with earth in 2032?...but they've since said that their calculations were off, and it'll miss us by a fair margin.

On topic note: I thought the end of the Mayan calendar was supposed to represent some significant change, and radical sensationalism led to the idea that it would be the apocalypse? Personally, my friends and I subscribe to the idea that a particular day in December, in the year 2012, will be the birth of real AI. Not Asimo, or your robot dog, but an actual computer which can interact, understand, and respond to human communication.
Old 2009-10-20, 15:31   Link #98
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
If this is in relation to what I think it is, they've ruled that out. There was apparently a meteor that looked like it would collide with earth in 2032?...but they've since said that their calculations were off, and it'll miss us by a fair margin.
!!!
That sounds about right. They said it was supposed to hit Japan.
Old 2009-10-20, 15:32   Link #99
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
!!!
That sounds about right. They said it was supposed to hit Japan.
Ah yes, I heard about that too. Apparently it's supposed to miss us by a rather large margin.
Old 2009-10-20, 15:33   Link #100
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Ah yes, I heard about that too. Apparently it's supposed to miss us by a rather large margin.
Damn you Canale 5. Damn you.

Tags
apocalypse