AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-14, 01:53   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Anime Speculation for Manga Readers

This thread is for the experienced Hayate no Gotoku manga readers who are watching the "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" anime. The purpose of this thread is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers.

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title that clearly identifies the specific source of the spoiler!

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the manga then please use the existing thread.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-10-14 at 06:58.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:28   Link #2
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

So exactly what is the point of the anime now?

Did they jump past Athena completely but leave her out, with everything staying in place?

I'm confused.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-15, 04:42   Link #3
Zeross

How are we suposed to know what have been show in the anime before?
I don't know what was shown in s2 or movie and was for exemple surprised someone knew about ruka but not athena. I find it pretty hard to those who have read the manga and just jumped into s3.
Old 2012-10-15, 05:28   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Even if they say manga reader spoiler... it's not like we know anything about what's going to happen using the manga knowledge.... At the same time, I don't know about you guys but nothing in these last two episodes have inspire me to think ahead... maybe all that will change with Hina?

Nagi fans would love this season though.

...oh, here's a good speculation- do you think that maybe after this season they'll change the studio to AIC, A-1 or even just back to JC staff ?
Old 2012-10-15, 08:31   Link #5
madmac

Quote:
How are we suposed to know what have been show in the anime before?
I don't know what was shown in s2 or movie and was for exemple surprised someone knew about ruka but not athena. I find it pretty hard to those who have read the manga and just jumped into s3.
It's not really that complicated. Season Two ended around chapter 150, just before the bear/hiking arc in the manga. The movie was set a month before the anime and had Ruka and Kayura in it, so people who have only seen the anime might remember those characters even though they don't really know anything about them or anything else that's happened recently in the manga.

Overall, I'd agree this season is aimed primarily at manga readers. It has lots of little teasers and shout outs to the current manga that anime only watchers are just confused by, and of course a lot of character relationships have changed from early in the manga/Season 2.

Quote:
So exactly what is the point of the anime now?

Did they jump past Athena completely but leave her out, with everything staying in place?

I'm confused.
This season is canon to the manga, just set two months ahead of where it is now. The manga is in July right now and Season 3 is in Sept. The movie was set in Aug, so it's one month between the two.

So yes, they skipped Golden Week and everything else with Athena but she could still (And probably will.) appear in this season. If it's like anything else so far there will be some kind of spoiler as to what happens after she got her power back but without explaining anything because.

Quote:
...oh, here's a good speculation- do you think that maybe after this season they'll change the studio to AIC, A-1 or even just back to JC staff
If JC staff wanted to continue the anime they would have done it years ago. Either Manglobe will be successful enough to consider doing more stuff with it or they'll decline any future projects and we probably won't see any more animation for several years if ever.

HnG doesn't have a good animation track record. It keeps changing studios because it doesn't do very well and they don't want it anymore! The movie, strange as it was, was the first real success in the animation realm and the main reason we're getting this gutsy new season with original content and quality animation. (Not liking the character designs is fine, but the animation quality is leagues ahead of anything else this series has gotten.)
Old 2012-10-15, 09:18   Link #6
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
If JC staff wanted to continue the anime they would have done it years ago. Either Manglobe will be successful enough to consider doing more stuff with it or they'll decline any future projects and we probably won't see any more animation for several years if ever.

HnG doesn't have a good animation track record. It keeps changing studios because it doesn't do very well and they don't want it anymore! The movie, strange as it was, was the first real success in the animation realm and the main reason we're getting this gutsy new season with original content and quality animation. (Not liking the character designs is fine, but the animation quality is leagues ahead of anything else this series has gotten.)

The decision is not entirely up to JC Staff or Manglobe, it's the production committee and the people sponsoring the project that are the ones calling the shots- the studios are the 'workers' so to speak.

The first season was played as a children show so dvd/bd sales wouldn't have mattered. Last I've check, the second season had an average of 6-7k sale... I've seen Animes with less numbers get sequels all the time. And don't forget that even if the BD/dvd sales aren't stellar, as long as the manga sale rises thanks to the exposure, it can still be considered a success.

Even still, I don't see how not giving the fans what they've patiently waited years for is any good business strategy....[joking] Not that it would matter because they struck with the Manglobe curse [/joking]
Old 2012-10-15, 19:06   Link #7
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Even if they say manga reader spoiler... it's not like we know anything about what's going to happen using the manga knowledge....
Fair enough -- I meant that there would be spoilers from the manga, but speculation on the anime... but I just simplified it now.
Old 2012-10-18, 13:11   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
This thread is for the experienced Hayate no Gotoku manga readers who are watching the "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" anime. The purpose of this thread is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers.

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the manga then please use the existing thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Fair enough -- I meant that there would be spoilers from the manga, but speculation on the anime... but I just simplified it now.
isn't s3 suppose to be completely new material NOT related to the manga continuity?
Old 2012-10-18, 14:33   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
isn't s3 suppose to be completely new material NOT related to the manga continuity?
Well, from what was said above, that is apparently not the case.

But the reason for this thread is because the plot that has happened in the manga that was not shown in either previous anime cannot be discussed in the anime episode threads. So people familiar with the manga (past what was covered in the previous anime) can discuss their speculation about how this fits into the manga timeline here.
Old 2012-10-21, 02:34   Link #10
Master Chibi

As far as I can tell, none of it fits, they're just shoehorning it in there lol

Old 2012-10-21, 02:43   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

To be fair though, most of the stories are oneshots that have no solid place on the timeline so they could be moved around and transfer here and there.

My whole stance on it is that it's not really any major issue- But I just thought that they said this was going to be all original so I was expecting an original story for Hinagiku as well, that's all.
Old 2012-10-23, 02:18   Link #12
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
To be fair though, most of the stories are oneshots that have no solid place on the timeline so they could be moved around and transfer here and there.
Well, somewhat, maybe. The storyline from episode 3 was nicely set up in the manga by Ayumu and Hina talking about Hayate, where Hina finally understood how her actions toward Hayate would make him think she hated him. Thus, she decided to become a nicer person overall. In the anime, I didn't think the setup was that good. Indeed, the only thing the anime did better for the Hina-Hayate date story was have the belittling kindergarten kids at the theater, which made me laugh out loud. Otherwise, the manga date story is superior.

I recall the first anime series, which I watched first before reading the manga, and I noted in my blog that at times, the flow of the story seemed off at times. Commenters to my blog posts would often tell me that the reason for this perceived story flow problem was due to the production company shifting around manga stories so that they were told in a different order, sometimes reaching way out in the manga to grab a story and shoehorn it into the current anime story, just because it was a oneshot gag chapter (or a gag story only a few chapters long).

Quote:
My whole stance on it is that it's not really any major issue- But I just thought that they said this was going to be all original so I was expecting an original story for Hinagiku as well, that's all.
I have a blog post going up on this tomorrow, but my speculation is that this story was pulled from the manga and brought into the anime in order to give Miki, Risa, and Izumi a story where they played a central role. Otherwise, I don't see them playing much of a part in a story centering around Nagi's deceased father.

Episode 3 further disappointed me because it pretty much killed the notion of Hina still living at the apartment-house since Hina didn't know Ruri. That would also suggest that Athena, as Ah-tan, is no longer there either.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2012-10-23, 15:11   Link #13
Mentar
Banned

Essentially, what was said about this season was that it was going to hold NO lasting relevance at all. "New anime original material" means "it has no bearing on the manga storyline", and it was even untrue for ep3, which was a poor conversion of an existing small manga arc for Hina.

I think it's pretty clear: Hata doesn't want the main storyline to progress, he's trying to prolong the story with as much filler as he can get away with.
Old 2012-10-24, 23:06   Link #14
melina_putri

In episode 4, "Black Camellia" which is the counterpart of "White Sakura" (Shirosakura) is mentioned.

Maybe that sword is actually hidden somewhere near Nagi, though I wonder how it leads to event in Episode 1.
Old 2012-10-25, 12:59   Link #15
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Essentially, what was said about this season was that it was going to hold NO lasting relevance at all. "New anime original material" means "it has no bearing on the manga storyline", and it was even untrue for ep3, which was a poor conversion of an existing small manga arc for Hina.

I think it's pretty clear: Hata doesn't want the main storyline to progress, he's trying to prolong the story with as much filler as he can get away with.
Too bad it's not even funny in the slightest, which at least season one could slightly attest to being.

Old 2012-10-29, 11:05   Link #16
ChronoReverse

The worst part is that it's not really funny, it's not really relevant to the manga story line, it's full of really terrible things like Ruka's monologues and most egregious of all, the character art is really ugly.

Half the reason I read Hayate is because the characters are cute (whether it be the old designs or the new).
Old 2012-11-04, 12:01   Link #17
JPblueser
Guitarded

I'll risk a guessing at how this season will develop. Let's consider the facts we have:

1. a few “items” were found at America that probably belonged to Nagi’s father (a.k.a. Shin Hayek)
2. a mysterious girl appears looking for a “treasure handed down throughout the Sanzenin family”, the Black Camellia
3. she probably isn’t acting on her own, as there seems to be a master mind commanding her
3. Nagi’s father stole the “Sanzenin family’s treasure” and supposedly died on a car crash in Las Vegas years ago
4. Nagi will be at Las Vegas on September 25th. It’s unclear if Hayate and the others went with her, but we know that something will happen there.

So, putting all this together, we have the Season 3 main storyline clear as water.

The Sanzenin family somehow owned the Black Camellia and it was passed from generation to generation until Shin Hayek, Nagi’s father, stole it and fled to America. There, he died on a car crash and no one heard of him or the Black Camellia ever since. On September 18th, 2005, the police supposedly found many items that belonged to Shin Hayek, one of them probably being the infamous sword (which, considering the Shirosakura, much likely is also made of crystal or a similar “fragile” material, thus explaining why it couldn’t be shipped to Japan due to the risks of breaking it). A mysterious someone, aware of all this (and most likely believing to be the rightful owner of the Black Camellia) sends Tsugumi Ruri, the “Princess Camellia”, to act as an undercover agent, get close to Nagi and find an opening to get the Black Camellia and take it to her master.

What happens next is a bit unclear, but that sure gives this season a very interesting plot to work with. We know of two things: first, Nagi and maybe the others – I just can see this coming – will go to America to retrieve the “mysterious” items. Somehow, Nagi will lose something very important in the process and also Hayate will not be his butler anymore (perhaps both things are the same?).

And the climax of the season will probably be, of course, a direct confrontation between the wielders of the Shirosakura and the Black Camellia. How could it be any different?

I elaborated it a little more in my blog, but this is the general outline, I think.
Old 2012-11-07, 11:57   Link #18
GlassesLady
dat apple

... That actually sounds really intriguing. I'll have to make time to start watching this soon.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
Closed Thread