AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-10, 00:50   Link #1221
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Oh good, a chance to ramble on about myself.

*snip*

Now, applied to Haruki and co., it depends on what sort of drunks they are. According to the novel, Haruhi is a louder version of her usual self, while we don't know what Kyon and Mikuru's reactions are like, except that Kyon doesn't remember a lot, and that Mikuru can't hold her drink and has a "dreamy expression" when drunk. Yuki is unaffected. No mention of Koizumi imbibing is made.

According to the referenced doujin, Haruhi is louder (and more violent), Mikuru is near-comatose, and Koizumi is, um, gayer. Yuki is as expressionless as ever, but she goes into a sort of shutdown/standby mode while trying to recover.

So, do we want to keep these characterizations, or tweak them to something else? Maybe Haruki goes in vino veritas and starts confessing his true feelings, or simply weeps into his wine. Haruhi may be a violent drunk, but translate it to Haruki and he has the potential to do a lot of unintentional physical damage, so it probably shouldn't be exaggerated too much.
We'll come up with something more akin to the novels. The doujin is hardly something to go by.

And your life experiences are most intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Seems like people like these types of scenes:

Yes.

Quote:
Of course, we do have the question of what kind of girl Koizumi would be. Would she be like a breasty loli or a woman? (Below are some pics drawn by a friend)

I think we're going for better-than-average high school girl. She's got a more developed figure, but not the complete body of mature woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FicFactor View Post
Okay, I've endured and been delighted through all sixty-plus pages of this thread/quasi-movement and I simply had to register to commend you all. Great work, all involved in bringing this concept to being!

As another of those fans eagerly (read: "impatiently") anticipating the next season of the anime, I've found Haruki, Kyonko et al, and the very idea of such a similiar yet different world impossible not to become enamoured with.

I'll try to contribute some (less than stellar) fan-art sooner rather than later to the existing mountains of quality fan-produced work for this idea, but for the meantime, all I can do is to reiterate my praise. Well done!
Thanks for the support.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 03:39   Link #1222
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Well...there's still the other kind of "ponytail" (I don't know that name of the hairstyle )
Where the hair is tied at neck level like, for example, Sol Badguy of Guilty Gear, but much shorter
Not sure if anyone answered this but i think its called a loose ponytail, but dont quote me on it
Killer Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 04:43   Link #1223
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Spoiler for Typed out in two minutes:
I LIEK.

/me twitches because he's too bogged down in work to contribute beyond editing.

/EDIT I especially like Kyon-ko pulling on Haruki's necktie. It's a nice... parallel.

Also, I support Drunk Haruki trying to come on to Kyon-ko then regretting it immediately.

Furthermore, I also support Haruki headphones instead of hairband.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 05:29   Link #1224
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I thought it was the moeness of Kyon-chan.....
For me it is. But that's mostly because I'm not a bored Haruhi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
This is the most backlog I've ever had to return to. And I was here this morning.
It's only six pages or so, nothing to worry about.

Concerning conversions: I've given up on tough conversions for now. Complete conversions are above my current level, so I'll just start doing some easy ones and work my way up.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 06:19   Link #1225
Jobrill

Hm. If headphones don't work, I wonder if Ipod earbuds would work... But the question either way would be... What is Haruki LISTENING to?

Maybe signals from outer space, in hopes of finding alien transmissions? ^_^
Jobrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 06:20   Link #1226
Aaron008R

You were right, Keroko. The backlog here is fast but delicious!

I'm a little pressed for time, so I can't comment properly though...

Anyway, I have advice for those who're having problems with the his~>her and vice versa conversions. This applies only for the fics with full gender conversions for all the characters.

If you're using Microsoft Word, hold 'Ctrl & F' to bring up the Find and Replace Screen. After doing so, type in his or her depending on circumstance. Click the second tab with replace written on it, fill in the 'Replace With' slot with any word (Do NOT use the opposite equivalent word yet, since you will get a story filled with nothing but his/her...) with anything like '%%%' or '###' or anything else not in the text file. Then click replace all. When that's done, fill in the 'Find What' with his(if you changed the her's first) or vice versa, and replace them all with her. Afterwards, find all the '%%%' (or whatever you used) and replace them all with his. Voila! All converted!

Sorry if it sounded confusing, I'm not too good at explaining techinical stuff...

And I hope I'm not being intrusive...>_<

Anyway, that's that from me for now. I might try my hand in some scene conversions when I get time off. (Though that's not too likely considering my schedule...-_-)

*runs*

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 06:23   Link #1227
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
Hm. If headphones don't work, I wonder if Ipod earbuds would work... But the question either way would be... What is Haruki LISTENING to?

Maybe signals from outer space, in hopes of finding alien transmissions? ^_^
No, see, the headphones are supposed to be an excuse for Haruki to wear a yellowish kinda headband.

/EDIT Also, for the love of god don't find and replace; instead, rewrite the damn thing. You heard me! Use your brains and your knowledge of the English language and REWRITE THE DAMN THING! Re-read it four times, post it here for error-checking, but don't stoop to some easy cop-out like find and replace. Maybe you'll change the words... but it's not going to read well, I'll tell you that right now.

Also, since I was bored and found myself with a hole in my schedule, here's a Kyon-ko pic I scribbled up. Just practise, atm.

Spoiler for Size/Crappiness:
Old 2008-03-10, 07:03   Link #1228
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Archive post updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
From the narrative, not the people around him.

I grabbed most of my earlier stuff for Asakura With/Without Knife and repurposed it for Asakura wielding a sword. The problem is that I personally don't really see a point in the sword, so I may not have written it with as much attention to detail as I should have. I've tried to remove bias, but I may have missed something subtle.

It's mostly a copy-and-paste of my previous stuff anyway, with "knife" replaced with "sword".

Spoiler for Asakura with sword:

I'll leave the actual battle for someone else. Nanoha OC thread people know how much I suck at writing action scenes.

Also, in the novel (and anime) Yuki kicks Kyon away from an attack. I wonder how that translates for Kyonko, since I don't know if Yuuki is willing to hit her.

-

Random stuff I wanted to say, apropos of nothing:

If Kaisos (or anyone else) wants to copy my stuff wholesale, feel free. No need for credit. The only reward I wanted out of all this anyway was to satisfy that Urge To Write, a feeling which the Spontaneous variety of authors should be familiar with.

I'm trying not copy-and-pasting straight from the novels (which is difficult when it comes to the infodumps, hence why I easily lose interest in converting those parts), to see if I could attempt to provide a little difference between the novels (more specifically the Baka-Tsuki translations thereof) and the genderswap. I figure that Kyonko may not use the exact words that Kyon does, for example, even if it ends up being an entirely trivial matter of grammar or semantics.

Now, I have no clue how well this is working, so if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, please tell me. Getting into the head of a female protagonist character is something I've been attempting to improve on for a long time, and any help I get in that direction is very welcome. My usual writing style tends to be a bit florid and purple, which may inadvertantly sneak into my conversion attempts, no matter how hard I try to stamp it out.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 07:43   Link #1229
Jintor

I'll be frank: you're doing a better job at the feminine viewpoint than most of the rest of us. (I'll let Kaisos tell you how good he is at it; I know I'm rather craptacular at it. :/)

Also, keep writing.

/EDIT I do have the incredible urge to rewrite half of your Asakura dialogue though. I dunno, I have a kind of mindset about how Terminals speak.
Old 2008-03-10, 08:03   Link #1230
fishy_hylian
I'm ga-vomiting

Some more sketches I did. Only not using a mouse this time x_x'

Battle Waitress Kyonko!

Kyonko trying to beat on Haruki... but it isn't phasing him at all 8D'

I need to work on drawing Haruki...
fishy_hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 08:05   Link #1231
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
/EDIT I do have the incredible urge to rewrite half of your Asakura dialogue though. I dunno, I have a kind of mindset about how Terminals speak.
Feel free.

Incidentally, you have no idea how hard it was for me to refrain from interpreting Asakura's "muri" in the canon as "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that."
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 08:11   Link #1232
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

would really like if someone dared to translate http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1450744
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 08:14   Link #1233
Aaron008R

Ouch. Looks like I hit a wrong nerve.

Okay. I'm sorry if that came out as offensive. but I was under the assumption that the trans are used as a base since I've found several his/her discrepancies in the other chapters I've read so far so I thought... It's not like I'm telling people to just edit the chapter but rather make it easier for conversion. But apparently, that idea wasn't too viable...^^;

Please accept my apology if I offended some people.

On another note, do anyone know the identity of the one who sang Kyonko's ver. of Hare Hare Yukai? Is she an official seiyuu doing doujin work?

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 08:21   Link #1234
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

http://passionalgallery.cho-chin.com/syuminoheya-7.html updated.

DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 09:02   Link #1235
ronaldhw
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It appears Kyonko's lack of a tie does not protect her from getting dragged around by Haruki.
Spoiler for image:

Something along those lines could work well.
Colored the image

Spoiler for colored image:
ronaldhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 09:10   Link #1236
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

So unwittingly, by giving Kyon-ko a ponytail, we allow Haruki a means of dragging her around without descending into sexual harassment, retain an air of jerkiness and give us moe in the form of a distressed Kyon-ko?

Yay!
Old 2008-03-10, 09:24   Link #1237
shaoron
AQS representative

pulling the hair is still painful... <_<
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 09:27   Link #1238
Kristen
*Author

"Dear Diary,

So, today was an awful day. It started off with my brother walking in on me when I was... Nevermind, you don't want to hear that story.

I don't know what Haruki has up his sleeves now. He's had some kind of devilish grin on all day long. He's probably thinking of making Minoru crossdress or something again. What about a "trap" is so exciting to him? He has two perfectly good females in his little "SOS Brigade", and I know at least Itsuko would be happy to cosplay if Haruki wanted it. Though, he'd probably go as someone from some hentai game...

The website still isn't working. It's probably something simple, but I just can't seem to figure it out. But, more importantly, I'm getting a bit worried about the functionality of the computer. Haruki keeps hitting it, and it's already show wear and tear. Oh, what those computer club girls would think of us after seeing his treatment. Maybe I should slap him for them?

Grr... Sorry for getting you wet, diary, but my hair just won't dry fast enough. Maybe I could wrap the towel around it tighter? I'll try that tomorrow, diary.

Oh, and diary, just you wait! Minoru is going to go bright red when he sees me in my new outfit on Saturday!

Sincerely,
Kyon-ko"
Old 2008-03-10, 09:44   Link #1239
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
@chrissie I always laugh from that XD

Working on part three

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 10:43   Link #1240
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilen View Post
would really like if someone dared to translate http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1450744
I'm working on it... although I think I might end up just doing the last two pages, the first bit is basically copypasta from the novels and I'm lazy and hate translating narration and have a midterm on Thursday.
dreamoflife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan