AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-01, 19:22   Link #2041
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Actually, the character that worried me the most was Amuria and her "Motto tsuyoku!" stuff. After the fourth time I heard her say that, all kinds of horrible were going through my head about this series turning into Gundam with lesbians.
Come to think it, a proper Gundam with lesbians would have been kind of cool in the sense that it would have been quite a slap in the face of all the authors of yaoi Gundam fanfics. Kidding aside, I don't recall Amuria bothering me much (probably because I was in "Dude, she is so hot!" mode ). And I was also busy picking my jaw from the floor because of the awesome music, nice art and battles in the first episode, so I think I started paying more attention to the characters at the end of the episode when Rimone and Aaeru arrived on the Arcus Prima.

Quote:
confess the show led them to the world of yuri and that they plan to try Marimite, KnM, Simoun and the like.
I wonder whether there will be posts along the lines of "Marimite rips off StoPani".

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 21:15   Link #2042
wowo

Quote:
Come to think it, a proper Gundam with lesbians would have been kind of cool in the sense that it would have been quite a slap in the face of all the authors of yaoi Gundam fanfics
Noooo! I can't stand by and pretend I didn't see this. :P

People who think "Gundam" is Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing filled with pointless robot fights and yaoi, please please take a look at the original Gundam, created by the fantastic creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.

People who love Simoun for the depth of character and setting, with an epic tale of the human soul and dreams - check out the three part movies - the movie version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

If Simoun's ending filled you with a sense of beauty and hope for the human soul, Gundam is the original animation which truly fills you with something special. Well, I can't say anymore without spoiling anything, but check it out.
wowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 21:32   Link #2043
Matrim

Quote:
People who think "Gundam" is Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing filled with pointless robot fights and yaoi, please please take a look at the original Gundam, created by the fantastic creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.
I am aware that Gundam is not supposed to be always cheesy yaoi fangirls bait and stupid battles of superhumans agaisnt cannon fodder, I was just making fun of this aspect of the Gundam franchise because I thought FatPianoBoy meant the cheesiness associated with Gundam rather than its positive qualities. And I would have been inclined to watch the original Gundam, had it not been for the unfotunate fact I dislike mechas in general (by mechas I mean shows with giant robots, not series like Last Exile or Simoun).

Old 2006-10-01, 23:22   Link #2044
wowo

Ah cool. To be honest, I just used your post as an excuse to promote Gundam.

Still Matrim, looking at your posts so far, I would recommend Gundam for you.
I don't like Mecha either, and I didn't want to watch Gundam for the longest time, one reason being seeing Gundam Wing (gah).
Anyway, I just really enjoyed Simoun, though I criticized it a lot (it's only cuz I love it ), and I wanted to share some other outstanding anime series with people with somewhat similar tastes.
Old 2006-10-02, 00:28   Link #2045
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Actually, the character that worried me the most was Amuria and her "Motto tsuyoku!" stuff.
For what it's worth, she was an absolute pain to sub, too... We were trying to give her a bit of depth, but she just said the same darn thing over and over. Argh!

(I was all for translating said line as "Harder, Neviril! Harder!". )
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 04:00   Link #2046
Simon
気持ち悪い

For anyone interested, here are the covers for the Simoun manga included in Megami (nicked off a YJ listing, because I'm not game to remove the staples on my copies to extract them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme
(I was all for translating said line as "Harder, Neviril! Harder!". )
This reminds me, the last couple of entries in Moetan 3 read

Quote:
いこう、おれたちのせかいへ!
Let's go, a new world awaits us!

もっと高く、もっと遠くへ!!
Higher! Farther!
(Yes, those are the exact translations given in the book.) Coincidence?
Old 2006-10-02, 08:47   Link #2047
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Perhaps based on my own dubious instincts, I wonder if running the stats was an attempt by an SP fan to try to cut Simoun down to SP's level on AS?
Well, I wasn't the first one to introduce statistics in this thread. As I recall, things like 2ch thread counts were used long before me to make points about the popularity of Simoun vs SP But in any case, it seems like I have to take some time to explain what my "beef" with Simoun is.

One of the things I like about AS is that people usually gather around and talk about what they enjoy as opposed to bashing what they don't. Because of that, I almost feel like I should apologize for what will probably come across as a strong anti-Simoun sentiment in what I'm going to saw below. However, I need to get some of this out of my system. This is going to be quite long, so I'm going to put a lot of it into spoiler tags to improve thread readability. I guess that's what happens if you wait until the series is over to start posting about it It'll probably also be somewhat disjointed and "stream of consciousness"-like, but hopefully still comprehensible.

Spoiler for a few caveats about me:

Spoiler for impressions:

Spoiler for why I would continue to bother with something I don't like:

Spoiler for Simoun fans vs SP fans:

OK, so I guess there goes my "Simoun dump" I wonder if any of you actually read through it. Maybe it's best if you didn't Anyway, I'm not trying to say that Simoun is a terrible anime. Objectively speaking there are many worse. However, subjectively speaking Simoun did nothing for me, so I felt the need to express some of my views about it. Sorry if it was too negative. Like I said, probably I would have liked it better if I'd seen it back when I was less saturated with anime.

Spoiler for a note to Kaoru Chujo:

Edit:

I ran the Haruhi and Fate stats as well, and the pattern there is significantly less "top heavy". Some of it may be due to the different dynamics that happen when a show has a forum as opposed to a thread, but I'm sure it's also a meaningful indication of a wider fan base. BTW, I didn't do this to "prove" yet something more about Simoun, I was just interested in how prevalent the quasi-80/20 pattern really is.

Spoiler for Haruhi and Fate stats:

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-10-02 at 09:54. Reason: Added the stats for Haruhi and Fate
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 09:26   Link #2048
fignae
floofer. floof.

Read it all, yononaka, and I see where you're coming from. Dashing off some points.

It seems like a lot of this subjective element comes from the character designs. Personally, I don't look past that -- it just doesn't register after a certain point, I don't know why. The later episodes, especially.

I fight the anti-SP sentiment in myself quite frequently these days, because I'm participating in a thread elsewhere that loves SP to bits. I think it is bad to feel like this, and I certainly think we Simoun fans should be more subtle about it. But at the same time, people do tend to select different levels of tact when speaking, and it may be more hypocritical to hold back, I don't know. Honestly, for myself it may be jealousy speaking. Objectively, I support SP, sort of. It's not as horrible as non-fans say it is, and it's a milestone for yuri, which I do gravitate towards. The feelings are ambivalent, so I guess I concluded that the less I say, the better.

Oh no, the thread is definitely getting derailed. Is this against the rules?

I forgot who said the creators are making it up as they go along, but I'm pretty sure he or she meant some of the material, not all. The Japanese are humble people. We shouldn't take creators' disclaimers at face value. Besides, the author is dead, blah blah.

Quote:
What that tells me is that the fabled "greatness" of Simoun is the product of the fans filling the gaps with their imagination [...]
This is what any good text does. (Whoops. Okay, good, postmodern text? There are standards, and there are standards.)

All that said, I suspect it is the anti-SP undercurrents that brought out yononaka's words. I hope no blame gets thrown around. I think there is a middle ground to be found. I like reading critiques, 'cause some of us have been searching and searching for reasons why some anime fans can't take to Simoun, and this is relatively well-articulated.

edit: Argh, I can't seem to leave this alone. The entire HB paragraph is implying that Simoun is using its sex appeal to prop itself up and that it has nothing else. The problem with this argument is, if we disagree with yononaka there, there is no more to say besides flogging that dead horse.

Last edited by fignae; 2006-10-02 at 09:52.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 09:34   Link #2049
ghost89475

Well, I guess to each his own...or something like that.
I watched thru both SP and Simoun...

I was introduced to the manga of SP first, was impressed, then anticipated the anime...which totally flopped for me.

Simoun, on the other hand, was dangling right in front of me with all the nice chinese fansubs but I took a month before picking it up, just because I had nothing better to do. I was initially put off by the drawing and massive new info of their world...but oh well..i ended up waiting for raws every tuesday.

Just compare the final eps and I know I made a right choice by skimming thru SP. Just the dialogue of Shizuma at the church made me cringe hard. Taiwan dramas show something similar...

If simoun was "manipulating" me into watching it, then i guess i was manipulated. but aren't shows supposed to "draw" us into their world?
ghost89475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 10:02   Link #2050
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

I'm back to my usual diplomatic style now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
edit: Argh, I can't seem to leave this alone. The entire HB paragraph is implying that Simoun is using its sex appeal to prop itself up and that it has nothing else. The problem with this argument is, if we disagree with yononaka there, there is no more to say besides flogging that dead horse.
If you mean the HR paragraph, it's not really all about sex appeal. Perhaps I should have broken the paragraph at the middle... Anyway, it's more about the elusive "mood" that I think HR has loads of and Simoun fails at because it tries too hard.

As for the sex appeal, I wouldn't propose something silly like "it has nothing else". However, Simoun is certainly relying on it, whereas HR I don't think was relying on it at all (unless you count the angelic elements as sex appeal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost89475
If simoun was "manipulating" me into watching it, then i guess i was manipulated. but aren't shows supposed to "draw" us into their world?
Just in case: I wasn't trying to imply that Simoun fans are chumps who got suckered into liking the show Manipulating the audience is a common thing, most--if not all--shows have it in one from or another. I just don't think Simoun managed to integrate all of it's "carrots" well enough, and for whatever reason I didn't find them tasty enough.

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-10-02 at 10:39. Reason: typo fixes
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 10:24   Link #2051
ghost89475

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
I'm back to my usual diplomatic style now

As for the sex appeal, I wouldn't propose something silly like "it has nothing else". However, Simoun is certainly relying on it, whereas HR I don't think was relying on it at all (unless you count the angelic elements as sex appeal).
maybe i'm dense, but thruout the show, i didnt see any sex appeal thing other than the kisses...???no?

Quote:
Just in case: I wasn't trying to imply that Simoun fans are chumps who got suckered into liking the show Manipulating the audience is a common thing, most--if not all--shows have it in one from or another. I just don't think Simoun managed to integrate all of it's "carrots" well enough, and for whatever reson I din't find them tasty enough.
Simoun does not interest you.
ghost89475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 11:21   Link #2052
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
Bleah, I didn't mean to downplay that element either.

Relying on it to pull in extra viewers, yes. May turn people off, true. But Simoun has so much more than that, and if the audience can't look beyond that, it's a shame. I wouldn't blame the director for it, though, as the character designs are an important part of the show. I am, by now, rehashing an old, old point. It comes down to that, huh?

In other words, the anvils exist, the flaws exist, but viewers don't deal with them in the same way. Additionally, we really mustn't ignore the group who were drawn in by the in-your-face whatever, then stayed for the underlying greatness.
Old 2006-10-02, 13:11   Link #2053
Matrim

Quote:
And I can't say I like some of the attitudes Simoun fans seem to have towards their SP counterparts. "We are the intelligent yuri fans. People who prefer SP are stupid yuri fanboys. If they weren't stupid, they'd realize the greatness of Simoun."
Well, I'd like to say that but I am being too polite. No, really, in case you were referring to some of my posts I couldn't care less about the relative intelligence of the Simoun or SP fans and considering there are people who are fans of both, it would be a terribly idiotic generalization to claim that one set of fans is full of idiots and the other is an elite group for the bright people only. What can be claimed that since SP has a lot more comedy, it goes by default that Simoun has more potential to be taken and analysed seriously and depending on your tastes to either love or hate. One can casually follow SP but I think it would more difficult to do it with Simoun.

Quote:
And this brings me to what's probably become my biggest frustration with Simoun, as silly as it may sound. Through the eyes of its devoted fans I see a show I would like to watch. But when I watch the show itself, I don't see it.
I think you have missed a great opportunity to add some additional flavour to this thread, all the praise we have been writing here could have used one or two opposing voices. But then again following this philosophy I ended up being widely known as a troll on the Mai Otome board so maybe you did the right thing. But you really should have believed your eyes more. for me it;s as simple as that - character driven show in which I don't like the characters - well, there is no point watching it, even if I have all the free time in the world.

Quote:
Things like "I think that some people who would like serious anime (e.g., Honey & Clover) were put off from Simoun by the yuri aspects of the OP and by the complex terminology and unusual situation." (Kaoru Chujo). Presumably intelligent people (because otherwise they couldn't be expected to like Simoun in the first place...) would not be able to deal with the terminology and the situation? Might there be some other explanation to why they were put off Simoun?
I don't think the terminology issue refers to the people's intelligence directly - after all most subjects taught in high school do have a lot more complicated terminolgy than Simoun and somehow even people considered not so bright generally get passing grades. It depends mainly on whether one has the will to make an effort to figure out things, wait for a better fansub, go to a forum to ask what was all that about and so on. It's a lot easier to enjoy a series like SP where you can guess plot developments without even trying and there are few confusing things. In other words one can be very a intelligent elitist and still to expect information to be given to him step by step, rather than Simoun's approach of literally putting the viewers in the midst of strange characters talking about and doing even stranger things. I don't see anything wrong with that, I personally got tired of following Ergo Proxy's terminology and abandoned watching the series. Not because I wouldn't understand it if I tried but because at that point I didn't think it was worth the effort.

Quote:
In a way, I could say that SP is catering to the fans, whereas Simoun is manipulating them.
Sorry for the mostly off-topic rambling but that reminded me of some criticism for the Danish film director Lars von Trier. He is often being accused that he intentionally puts his characters in tough situations only to make vieweres symphatise with their plight. But when I watch one of his movies _ I don't care about that. His characters stir my soul like few others, you can call this manipulation, I can call it knowing how to get to your audience.

Quote:
And then of course there's people hoping that SP would do badly in sales. It's not enough to hope that what you like does well, you have to wish ill for others?
I can't deny a bit of spite in my sentiments but my main reason for wanting to see SP bomb in the market is teaching the company the lesson to write a dialogue that is not literally painful to listen at times, for instance. Or try for once to make a yuri anime without an abundance of moe or childish characters And yes, it's wishful thinking in its worst, I know.

Quote:
For all the supposedly "overt yuri" in SP, I actually found it a lot harder to ignore the sexual aspect in Simoun than in SP. The uniforms in SP are pretty subdued, whereas in Simoun the sibyllas' clothing is anything but. Again, it'd some effort to explain it in words, but looking at the character designs side by side there's a stark contrast in that aspect. So, when SP characters aren't actively kissing or groping each other (and most of the time they aren't, surprisingly), sex doesn't really enter my mind at all. With Simoun, I got the feeling of "don't you want a piece of that?" a lot more.
Everything bar some of the comedy in SP revolves about the romantic affairs of the characters (at least up until episode 17 where I stopped watching). This might not be the fanservice that everyone would recognize but the SP characters often behave as if living in some male wet dream, IMO. And you'd be hard-pressed to find in Simoun scenes so pointless and totally full of fanservice as the nude scenes between Kaname and what-was-her-name-the-other-evil-lesbian. If Simoun was so hell bent of fanserivice it would have shown a lot more of the night Alti and Kaimu spent together, for example. So basically you can remove all the romantic elements from Simoun, make the characters wear clothes that cover their whole bodies and still have most of the plot intact with some alterations. While if you remove the fanservice and romantic affairs from SP you are left with nothing at all. So from the traditional point of view - fanservice=naked or half-naked chicks Simoun might have more of it. But from the "loser yuri fanboy"'s POV (as Erica from Yuricon would say ), SP is the clear winner since the yuri romance is the whole idea of the show, one can even see the seme-uke couples a mile away, it has a cosplay club, beach episode, main characters wearing maid outfits, squaling females including fangirsl for the popular people in the school - all the tricks in the fanservice book.

Quote:
An HR-style Simoun I would most likely enjoy. I think Simoun would have been a vastly better story if had been less sexualized. Apparently some of you were able to ignore all that, but viewers should not be expected to ignore the main selling point of a show to enjoy it.
It might be the main selling point, although I have no idea how it is being advertised in Japan but that's just a bait. Do you see anyone in this thread who followed Simoun just because of the hot lesbian chicks? I see this is as a marketing trick which apparenlty backfired quite badly for Studio DEEN. I find it much easier to ignore the skimpy outfits in Simoun (not that I want to ignore them really but entralled in the story I barely notice them) than the extremes of the mind-numbing soap operish school love-drama of Strawberry Panic but obviously I'd have had more of a point in comparing HR with Simoun had the fanservice factor been totally missing. But I really fail to see how the story would have been better if it had been less sexualized since the plot has hardly anything to do with sex (not in the meaning of "gender" ). Not to mention that it would have been rather weird to concentrate on gender issues and never show anything sexual between the characters.

Anyway, nice to see someone who has put such an effort only to criticise a series he does not like. I am impressed, although your introduction almost put me to sleep, it's way too long.

Last edited by Matrim; 2006-10-02 at 15:01.
Old 2006-10-02, 13:17   Link #2054
jtrog

I didn't even know what 'yuri' ment until like show 21. Catagorizing the shows at the start probably hurt this one. Yes I know the 2 'sisters' in Simoun talked about something but generally their world was as it was - all were born female until at the age of 17 they 'had' to make a choice.
So I didn't view most of it as 'yuri'. Now I did see the covers for the music cds I guess thats really 'yuri'....

Remember eps 1 and 2 and 3 then it was like 5 months before any one got back to it, and again, another long long laps in shows. Thanks to wowos work I believe most of us caught up about ep 17 then back and forth so in a way for ME the series unfolded like a flower.

And once they are 17 they get married have kids - ie not 'yuri'.

Yes yes yes, im not in Japan and do not live under their ways of life which we Cannot here in the U.S.A. and im not saying theres any thing wrong with them. Like in the show its just the way of life. The 'Girls' had to sleep in the same rooms for a while and they had to live with each other on that rust bucket ship they were on so you could see it was not a happy box of apples for them.

Much like us.

This series is awsome, best originality todate. Thanks to all that helped fill in the not understood parts.

thanks everone in the forum.
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 14:05   Link #2055
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

No offense taken, yononaka. Interesting posts. I hope you can gather from my posts that I am not anti-SP. I think I was one of the first in that thread to defend it, in the early days when most of the posts seemed so negative. I thought many posters there then just didn't get the fact that it was intentionally cliched.
Spoiler for resposes to yononaka, spoilered to keep the page shorter:
Taste in this matter aside, I am glad to find someone else who enjoys the courteous discussion that seems the rule rather than the exception on AS. Especially when the courtesy is a hard-won mask for raging disagreement.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-02 at 15:31.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 15:09   Link #2056
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
yononaka,
I actually think most of the comments in my previous post are extreme because admittedly extreme ones have left in my memory.
And it seems some of us interpreted your stats more than enough.
However, I see your view on the two shows and their fandom is also extreme as much as them.

Spoiler for sexual aspect:

Spoiler for manipulation:

Spoiler for fandom:

Last edited by warainagara; 2006-10-02 at 15:31.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-02, 15:45   Link #2057
wowo

Lol, this week's Simoun radio is hilarious, check it out if you can understand Japanese.
Guest this week was
:drumroll:

Director Nishimura Junji!

A few things that stood out to me:
- the reason the show was created was, quote from director:
"me and two other old foggies wanted to write about young girls growing up"

- the choices for the final sex:
"of course I had the story and dramatics in mind, but I chose their sex mostly on my tastes. Like Morinas has such a good body, it would have been such a waste for her to become male"

Lol.

It was funny when a listener wrote "I bought the DVDs and games, but I can't get myself to watch them", and Takahashi Rieko answered:
"Eh, doesn't matter if you don't ever watch them, as long as you bought them we're happy."

Dark! Lol.

A few things were bleeped out / left out, and will be included in the CD, according to them.
Old 2006-10-02, 16:35   Link #2058
Matrim

Quote:
"of course I had the story and dramatics in mind, but I chose their sex mostly on my tastes. Like Morinas has such a good body, it would have been such a waste for her to become male"
But that didn't stop him from turning Vyura (a.k.a. "I could be a supermodel if I wanted to") into a man. Bastard.

Old 2006-10-02, 18:46   Link #2059
fignae
floofer. floof.

LOL, Wowo. Right. ("Shaddup, creator. We're having fun here." )

Anyway, if anyone has heard of this

I'm glad to announce that even though it's a limited edition disc, the specials are quite stupid. Most of the seiyuu were awkward placed in front of the camera, and only Mizuki Nana really shone. In terms of attitude, that is, as for information, I couldn't catch any after all the courtesies paid.

[edit] Contents:
PS2 game CM
DVD CM
Cut scenes from the seiyuu studio messages
Seiyuu comment on the show (not much)

Last edited by fignae; 2006-10-02 at 23:53.
Old 2006-10-02, 19:07   Link #2060
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
I'm glad to announce that even though it's a limited edition disc, the specials are quite stupid.
Well it is from Megami, the magazine that people like me love to bitch about despite buying it for the Simoun content

Those discs are selling pretty well on YJ at the moment: I snaffled one for Y1000 early on, but they're averaging around three times that now (makes me feel less of a mug for paying Y2400 for a game poster - if I'd waited I could have got one for way less, but then waiting is exactly how I missed out on the poster for the TV series). It's nice to see collectors taking an interest, even for a cheesy promo item.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-10-02 at 20:27.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri