AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 122 Rating
Perfect 10 3 6.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 17.02%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 21.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 23.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 19.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 6.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 4.26%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-26, 10:04   Link #401
Nixl

MalakTawus, we are not having trouble with how she is coming with theories. Quite simply, Yagi has used Deneve as his mouthpiece to quickly explain things to the reader. He used Deneve to tell Undine's backstory and he used Deneve to explain why Claire couldn't awaken. That is all there is to it in my opinion. Her theories are so stretched and contrived that it is simply the author's excuse to tell the reader what is happening. I just do not believe a character would come up with the idea of "Jean's Wedge" naturally and within 30 seconds of observation. That is my issue with Deneve, she feels artificial.

Deneve has yet to break out of her role as arrogant cool guy and author's mouthpiece. Just like Miria and Jean, I felt her character is overtaken by her archetype and role and never gets to be anything else. We have seen multiple sides Claire throughout the manga, but I would argue Miria, Jean, and Deneve have for the most part always maintained the same archetype and function.
Old 2012-01-26, 12:34   Link #402
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
MalakTawus, we are not having trouble with how she is coming with theories. Quite simply, Yagi has used Deneve as his mouthpiece to quickly explain things to the reader. He used Deneve to tell Undine's backstory and he used Deneve to explain why Claire couldn't awaken.
You don't seem to have a problem when so many other characters do the same thing.

Quote:
That is all there is to it in my opinion. Her theories are so stretched and contrived that it is simply the author's excuse to tell the reader what is happening. I just do not believe a character would come up with the idea of "Jean's Wedge" naturally and within 30 seconds of observation. That is my issue with Deneve, she feels artificial.
Other characters have made theories that are "so stretched and contrived" and nobody complained.
Old 2012-01-26, 13:20   Link #403
Nixl

True, but doesn't mean I liked them either Dj0rel nor does it mean I was not annoyed by other strange theories. The reason I bring up Deneve as opposed to others is because (1) it is more recent and (2) after "Jean's Wedge" and her dialogue in this chapter I have very little hope Yagi is going to let her be anything other than the arrogant cool guy, which the author uses to explain things.

Are there other characters that are also used as mouthpieces and are stuck in archetypes? Yes, I agree, but I have not lost hope just yet. They may change, but I have very little hope for Deneve at the moment.

Furthermore, I do not think it is a matter of whether people have complained about a topic before. 122 chapters can give plenty of hindsight on certain aspects of characters.
Old 2012-01-26, 14:22   Link #404
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
True, but doesn't mean I liked them either Dj0rel nor does it mean I was not annoyed by other strange theories. The reason I bring up Deneve as opposed to others is because (1) it is more recent and (2) after "Jean's Wedge" and her dialogue in this chapter I have very little hope Yagi is going to let her be anything other than the arrogant cool guy, which the author uses to explain things.
And why do you have more hope that (for example) Helen will get to be anything more than "Leeroy Jenkins". Especially since Deneve has more room for development. And what is wrong with Deneve being an "arrogant cool character". I don't see how an "arrogant cool character" can be more annoying than "Leeroy Jenkins" character especially the one that is not that arrogant.
Old 2012-01-26, 14:28   Link #405
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
And why do you have more hope that (for example) Helen will get to be anything more than "Leeroy Jenkins". Especially since Deneve has more room for development. And what is wrong with Deneve being an "arrogant cool character". I don't see how an "arrogant cool character" can be more annoying than "Leeroy Jenkins" character especially the one that is not that arrogant.
Is their something wrong with growth? with something called character development?

I don't know about you, but I don't want all the characters to just be walking archetypes - I would have hoped Claymore is a little bit more special then that.
Old 2012-01-26, 15:20   Link #406
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

At any rate, since I have more time, I want to write a little more on this:

My thoughts are basically akin to Nixl's -- I've never liked Dr.Deneve since Day 1 even though, on fairness, if we look back, like with Undine, she's always been like this....

But again, their's a line to be crossed, and she just crossed it -- I'm not an idiot; I get having an author's mouthpiece in stories is a common thing...

But it's wrong on several different points:

The first is the easiest; we don't know if that's supposed to be Yagi's intention - we don't know if Deneve talking like a detective is his way of reaching out, or Deneve just being Deneve - that alone makes it so I don't have much of an issue questioning what comes out of her mouth.

Plus, even if Yagi is really using Deneve like this, then let me ask a very simple question: why?

Whatever happened to the golden rule of writing, "Show, don't Tell"? Because that's what essentially Yagi is doing....if the whole bit about Jean's Wedge is true with regards to Claire, wouldn't it be easier for us to swallow and accept it if we were given more proof of it, little by little? More evidence more and more until their was the kicker and we came to the irrefutable realization that, that is fact?

Instead, we get a giant speech by Deneve - why should I believe her? Why should I care what she has to say? I mean, it's nice to see she has her theory on things, but I don't remember any interviews by Yagi saying that Deneve was his in-universe spokesperson...

Plus, it doesn't help when her theories on certain stuff just isn't good enough - just because their are no other theories or speculation on something and/or Deneve or any character came up with an idea first....doesn't mean we all have to accept it as truth.

I think Claymore's ambiguity as a whole, in this sense, is what comes back to bite us - because, naturally, Yagi wouldn't little-by-little "Show" the truth and explain to us in that matter what happened.....instead, we get a hollower "Tell" version where a character quickly sums up what happened; it's like that with the majority of things in the story...

their is very very little that is truth and has been spelled out for us -- if everything was open to questioning, their would be no foundation and their wouldn't be much of a story...

That said, it still feels like a lose-lose situation - Their is nothing that says that what Deneve comes out with is truth and/or I have to point-blank accept it....especially when their has been instances where, what we knew, turned out to be wrong; it doesn't help, again, when certain truths we get simply aren't stuff I agree with or think it's good enough......and everyone knows what I'm talking about - when you come up with an awesome and perfectly plausible and logical theory on something, and a character "reveals the truth" and it turns out to be a hollow short secret that makes you look like an idiot for spending so much time fine-tuning your theory...it doesn't exactly make you feel good; especially when their, and especially in a story as ambigious as this, no real obligation to believe the character in the first place.....especially considering, again, that we have been told "truths" that turned out to be false.

Really, that said, with Deneve and other similar revelations as a whole, the best rule in my opinion is "agree to disagree"....take everything with a hint of salt -- maybe she's right about Jean's wedge, maybe she's not....maybe other characters are right about the stuff they say, maybe they aren't....the best move is to just file what they say away, and let time reveal everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl
but I would argue Miria, Jean, and Deneve have for the most part always maintained the same archetype and function.
Mmm...I don't know, with this, it's both ways - some characters really are better being the archetypes they apparently express, because that's simply who they are....others, of course, it's better to see more sides of them and very often we do.

I'm not sure which archetype you are thinking of with regards to Miria, but considering how logical and almost icy she felt when we first met her, pretty much all the way till Pieta...she's really changed -- being the sweet Carebear she is underneath simply isn't something that we knew was there back in the old days...it's something that grew and grew overtime and, especially with getting her own extra chapter, it can't be said we haven't gotten plenty of individual development on her.

As for Jean....eh, in this case, I feel the archetype she goes works for her - because their simply really isn't anyone else in the story, at the time, that was like her and it really worked well for her all things considered....it's the same with others like shy Yuma or sweet Cynthia....their isn't, or wasn't, anyone else like them at the time in the story and it worked well for them.

Deneve, as I said in my post on the last page, has changed, but it depends greatly on the way you are looking at her -- she's far more the ice-cold brute she used to be, even if that is, to some degree, how she still is on the surface -- her sorrows concerning her family and sister, her fiery introverted passion, being the blunt voice that brings everyone else to reality....she may not have changed in attitude, but she has changed - again though, it depends greatly on how exactly you are looking at her.

The rest of the Ghosts, as you didn't write them, have changed many times over - Helen is no longer the bullying "laughing at you" prick she used to be, but the teasing "laughing with you" person that we all love now....Cynthia has demons underneath, Yuma is stronger then she ever thought....Helen as well, is naturally far more then the alchohol-raging succubus that people at one point made her out to be and this stems to many characters as a whole: They've changed, or maybe, what's really changed, is simply our perception of them......like with Miria being a Carebear, she's always been that way....many of us simply didn't realize it.

Their's alot to be said and thought about, so I'll just say this -- Tabitha right now, is the one who needs the most change.....she undoubtedly has had many changes all her life, as everyone else.....she however, is the one we've least have seen this, because we never see much of anything out of her....it's difficult to compare how she is now, as she was back in, say, Pieta, because we barely knew much about her then and we still don't know all that much about her now -- except perhaps that she has a loyalty to Miria like no other....are we ever going to get an explanation on that? I'm sure their is one, but it would be nice to know one of these days.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2012-01-26 at 15:32.
Old 2012-01-26, 16:59   Link #407
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but in short, yes they are both annoying to me.

With Helen, the only reason I have a tiny shred of hope is that if Deneve were to die I think the character would change. Who knows, but if they both died I could live with that so that other characters are given a shot.

My complaint in regards to Deneve's arrogant cool guy persona stems from two issues. The first, I feel like in trying to keep with that persona Yagi has written some awkward if not silly lines for Deneve. I do not remember everything Deneve said this chapter, but I remember it being along the lines of, "boring, saving the life of my captain is so easy I did not have to think about it." I mean wtf is that suppose to even mean. It is "boring," really? Out of all the things she could have said, that?What annoys me most about the scene is that they are in front of 3 abysmals. If they pulled that in front of Priscilla they would have died. In fact, Priscilla tortured them for fun, which was amusing. The second reason is that we have seen a lot of Deneve recently and at this point I am tired of her character. It is not that it is the worse archetype ever, it is that Deneve does not seem to be anything but her archetype. I want development, but if this is all she is going to be till the end of the story then I am okay with her death.

edit: I understand that a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but like Teresa's archetype, I have seen characters like Deneve before and the novelty of the arrogant cool guy has worn off for me. We have had Deneve in the focus for 30+ chapters and I just want to see other characters by this point.

What characters do I want to see? Priscilla, Galatea, Clarice, Miata, and Claire/Raki. Analyzing Priscilla is a lot of fun. Some of the most memorable I have had debates/discussions have been about Priscilla.

If anything this arc showed me that I cannot read a story for Miria, Helen, and Deneve.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-26 at 17:16.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:17   Link #408
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
but I remember it being along the lines of, "boring, saving the life of my captain is so easy I did not have to think about it."
- that line, was in there purely to sound cool ; I mean really, in a life-or-death situation with 3 enemies vastly beyond yourself....I don't think "boring" would be the first thing out of people's mouth.
Old 2012-01-26, 17:36   Link #409
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post

As for Jean....eh, in this case, I feel the archetype she goes works for her - because their simply really isn't anyone else in the story, at the time, that was like her and it really worked well for her all things considered....it's the same with others like shy Yuma or sweet Cynthia....their isn't, or wasn't, anyone else like them at the time in the story and it worked well for them.

I disagree on this Shiekamatic. I think Jean overlapped with Raki. Both have taken turns being Claire's little puppy dog that comes with a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

-They both followed Claire out of sense of debt, but also a deeper sense of friendship.
-Both have stated a purpose of defending Claire with their lives.
-They both spoke up for Claire in front of Helen and Deneve.
-They both saved Claire from awakening.
-They both got torn up by the miniboss of the arc (Ophelia and Rigardo)
-They both have something up with their eyebrows
-They both got manhandled by a tentacle beast.

I do not think it is a coincidence that the moment Raki was separated from Claire that Claire met Jean. Hell, even when both Jean and Raki are out of the picture, Jean still somehow figures into saving Claire from awakening against Priscilla. All in all, I feel like Jean never got to be anything other than Claire's puppy dog. Raki is dangerously close to having the same fate.

I wish Jean was one the ghosts instead of being the plot sacrifice.
Old 2012-01-26, 19:48   Link #410
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
Is their something wrong with growth? with something called character development?
There's nothing wrong with character development. I was just pointing out that Deneve has more room for development than Helen.

Quote:
Spoiler for Saving space:
Well you're right about one thing. Deneve's theory might be wrong. In fact I firmly believe that it is considering all those things Deneve doesn't know about Clare's past. However given the limited information she had, she did come up with a semi-plausible explanation. The one that wasn't as impossibly difficult to come up with as everyone says. But I guess Deneve had "crossed the line" when she tired to find sense in a situation in which none was apparent.
Quote:
With Helen, the only reason I have a tiny shred of hope is that if Deneve were to die I think the character would change.
In other words it would be like when Kyle Rayner found his girlfriend stuffed in a fridge. Killing one character to develop another is an overused cliche that I do not approve of. Deneve's character does have room for the development and no one has to die for it to happen.
Old 2012-01-26, 19:57   Link #411
Nixl

You are right, it is overused, but I just have such little hope for Deneve at the moment. Perhaps that will change, but Helen and Deneve just look like lame ducks in terms of development to me. Again, maybe I am wrong, but I just am not getting my hopes up.

Question though, in what ways do you think Deneve has room to grow?

Edit: Hmmmm Helen finding Deneve stuffed in a fridge....I kind of like it. Tabitha could be the deranged killer. Her motive would be Deneve was "trying" to steal Miria away. She has Miria tied to a bed and smashed her legs with a sledge hammer. Miata and Clarice could be the rookie detectives. Galatea could be the cranky police chief who is too old for that shit.

I like it, I like it a lot. FUND IT.
Old 2012-01-26, 19:58   Link #412
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Mmm.......Mmm....

I suppose Nixl -- Jean, at the time, really stuck out because of her unwavering honor, particularly with regards to humanity....that said, I can tell why she and Raki overlap in many ways -- really, all things considered, what makes Jean stick out is that she's all of this but a warrior

That's pretty much it -- she's a female Raki Claymore; that's what made her stick out...she's got many of the traits of Raki, but in an older female warrior guise - in alot of ways, that's just what it all boils down too.

Maybe that's why Dietrich is different then Jean - superficially, they appeared to be the same (but backwards; Jean's love was for humanity, Dietrich's was for the Org), and unfortunately Dietrich wasn't the super-obsessive warrior I kind of wanted her to be (because I kind of liked the idea of an incredibly loyal warrior, especially in the face of the MiB's uncarring attitude)....but, in a way, it still paid off because we learned about her tragic past, which is something we didn't get with Jean - naturally she probably has one too, but we never learned it so, on a superficial level, it feels alot like Jean was very honorable simply for the sake of it (which, in a sense, isn't bad -- do you need a reason or tragedy to be a better person?)

So in a sense, all three are different -- Jean seemingly was honorable for the sake of it, Dietrich is honorable because of her tragic past, and Raki is honorable for not being a warrior; on the surface, they are all alike, deep down, they are all different.

I don't think we have to worry though about Raki suffering the same fate - he's come a looong way since he was a child and the likelihood he is still the same clingy child is very minimal; sure, he's come a long way, and in the beginning, you could say it was all about Claire....but after seven whole years and living and experiencing the dark world all on his world....I'd like to think he's got more then 'Claire' on the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoral
There's nothing wrong with character development. I was just pointing out that Deneve has more room for development than Helen.
*shrug, Sure she does, they all do....Both of them actually developed since back then, but Deneve seemingly hasn't as much -- point blank, at least we are the same: she has more room for development, and thus, shouldn't be saddled with being the same archetype she's always been.

One may argue that all the characters have always been the archetypes they've seemingly been given; Helen, despite lighting up, is still the goof-ball of the group -- nevertheless, if we took her now and took her how she used to be when we first met her, their is an undeniable different beneath the surface.

It is....it should be like that with all the characters -- Deneve unfortunately doesn't get that as much; if anything, I think what's annoying people, is that the "role" she has, has been excentuated rather then undergoing any real change; rather then just busting in and theorizing outloud on Undine, she now seemingly explains critical plot-points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoral
Well you're right about one thing. Deneve's theory might be wrong. In fact I firmly believe that it is considering all those things Deneve doesn't know about Clare's past. However given the limited information she had, she did come up with a semi-plausible explanation. The one that wasn't as impossibly difficult to come up with as everyone says. But I guess Deneve had "crossed the line" when she tired to find sense in a situation in which none was apparent.
Oh, It's all too real possibility what she said was true....you have to excuse me for being skeptical though, especially in the face of Deneve's lack of awareness on finer details about Claire as you say; the annoying part though is the sense often that we have to take what she says as 100% truth because....I don't know, because no-one else tries to talk outloud to explain things .

Roflmao, in a sense, this whole thing is silly -- I mean, in real life, it would just be a theory and wouldn't be a big deal at all; maybe she's right, maybe she's wrong....it's only because this is a story, that this is bigger, since there are different contexts we can take with what she said.

Oh well, like I said -- Take what everybody says, and just file it away; we'll realize out the real truth sooner or later.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2012-01-26 at 20:11.
Old 2012-01-27, 05:18   Link #413
MalakTawus

Quote:
MalakTawus, we are not having trouble with how she is coming with theories. Quite simply, Yagi has used Deneve as his mouthpiece to quickly explain things to the reader. He used Deneve to tell Undine's backstory and he used Deneve to explain why Claire couldn't awaken. That is all there is to it in my opinion. Her theories are so stretched and contrived that it is simply the author's excuse to tell the reader what is happening. I just do not believe a character would come up with the idea of "Jean's Wedge" naturally and within 30 seconds of observation. That is my issue with Deneve, she feels artificial.

Deneve has yet to break out of her role as arrogant cool guy and author's mouthpiece. Just like Miria and Jean, I felt her character is overtaken by her archetype and role and never gets to be anything else. We have seen multiple sides Claire throughout the manga, but I would argue Miria, Jean, and Deneve have for the most part always maintained the same archetype and function.
Sorry,but that's where you are COMPLETELY wrong,it's obvious that those theories are not born just for 30 seconds of observation, think a little bit: SHE LIVED WITH CLAIRE FOR 7 YEARS. 7 YEARS!!!
It's completely understandable if Deneve noticed in those years that Claire was still VERY troubled by Jean's death (maybe she understand this well 'cause she also feel the same for Undine's death).
You (and others) have to accept that IT'S A FACT that there is a lot of understanding in the relationship between the ghosts that we can't know about since there has been a 7 year skip where Yagi told almost nothing about.
In other words,we now have to judge their relationship depending on how the characters interact NOW, criticing Deneve's conclusion when we actually know nothing about the time skip (while Deneve obviously does,since she actually "lived" those years) is COMPLETELY MORONIC, yes,there is no other way to describe it,really.

If Deneve came up with that theory it's LOGICAL to conclude that she has some basis (gained over the years) that let her say so,we know nothing compared to Deneve so MAYBE she's actually a more reliable source of information than you,don't you think?

Also i don't see what so wrong for Yagi to use Deneve to explain things,like i said it's absolutely clear that she is the one with best observation and "sensitivity" (basically she's by far the most competent for that role,it's not that Yagi decided on her casually,lol).

Also just to be clear: Deneve seems an archetype only because she INTENTIONALLY acts as an archetype.If you don't understand that that's just her "armor" than you really are not reliable at all in judging her character imo.
Deneve actually still has a great potential to grow as a character 'cause it's quite clear that she is still hiding her "true self" to some degree.

Another thing: when Deneve explains things it's not that she usually does so in a monologue,most of the time she has a completely VALID reason to explain things,since she is explaining things to her friends that are a lot less intuitive than her.She is talking to her friends,not only the readers.

It's like Gala or Tab explains things about yoki reading,they are the ones explaining to their friends 'cause they are the only ones that know certain things in that particular field.....Deneve basically do the exact same in the "psycological field" since she is obviously the most competent and the others probably are completely unable to understand certain "hints" in the varios situations (or behaviours).It's normal.

Quote:
I remember it being along the lines of, "boring, saving the life of my captain is so easy I did not have to think about it." I mean wtf is that suppose to even mean. It is "boring," really? Out of all the things she could have said, that?What annoys me most about the scene is that they are in front of 3 abysmals.
Hahahaha!
And this is the unconfutable proof that you are so biased that you are completely unable to even understand what she is saying,lol.
The interpretation that you give to her words is 100% wrong, this is ridiculous,lol.
Deneve is not saying "boring" because the situation right in front of her eyes is boring,she is saying that Miria's command (the command!!!) is "boring" in the sense that trying to save the lives of their comrades is something absolutely obvious,in other words it's her way of "joking".
Incredible,you are unable to understand something so clear and also continue to judge badly her character,oh god,if everytime that she says something you distort her words like that of course Deneve's comes up as an idiot at the end of the day,lol.

---------------------------------------
P.S: It's true like others (and myself) have said that of course Deneve's deduction could be wrong,what i don't agree is saying that she comes up with those deductions from nothing since it's 100% logical imo that she has solid basis to say what she says (something that we readers have not seen due to the time-skip).
Infact Yagi could use Deneve's deduction to explain things but could also use her deductions to intentionally let the readers belive something wrong to create a surprise effect (or something like that) in the future.

Last edited by MalakTawus; 2012-01-27 at 06:19.
Old 2012-01-27, 07:22   Link #414
Nixl

I cannot type much right now Malak, but I disagree. Based on Yuma's own account Claire often kept to herself. Furthermore, in those 7 years Claire never told the ghosts of her past, including Teresa and her mission to kill Priscilla. Therefore, I doubt Deneve could have such a deep understanding of Claire when she does not even know what Claire is after. I will concede they know each other, but a deep understanding of each other's inner thinking? I do not think so.

Furthermore, Malak one reason I harp on "Jean's Wedge" is that I find it completely unnecessary. Yagi has been content to leave facts vague such as Irene's death and who is stronger in TvP, yet in this situation he outright makes up a reason. I think it would have been better to leave Claire's inability to awaken as an unknown, thus allowing the reader to come to his/her own conclusion.

What it comes down to Malak is that I think Yagi uses Deneve just to cut corners and explain some event and I do not like it. This board has had amazing discussions over the vague parts of Claymore. When Yagi uses Deneve to explain away the story, it feels cheap.

And yes, Malak, until Yagi decides to give Deneve lines other than his mouthpiece or the "arrogant cool guy" archetype I'll continue to want to see other characters besides her. I cannot read this manga for Helen and Deneve alone.
Old 2012-01-27, 09:27   Link #415
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:
Mmm.......Mmm....

I suppose Nixl -- Jean, at the time, really stuck out because of her unwavering honor, particularly with regards to humanity....that said, I can tell why she and Raki overlap in many ways -- really, all things considered, what makes Jean stick out is that she's all of this but a warrior

That's pretty much it -- she's a female Raki Claymore; that's what made her stick out...she's got many of the traits of Raki, but in an older female warrior guise - in alot of ways, that's just what it all boils down too.
Old 2012-01-27, 11:00   Link #416
MalakTawus

You don't get it Nixl,Deneve has NEVER said something without any basis,so even if there are things that she doesn't know about Claire (like her relationship with Teresa and Prissy) the instant that she comes up with that speculation about Jean is the instant that basically confirms to us readers that she must have observed something during those 7 years that mekes her quite confident in saying so.
Since there are informations that she doesn't know it's possible that she reached a wrong or incomplete conclusion,BUT this doesn't mean that she came up with that theory out of nowhere.
Saying something like that is proof enough that you don't understand even a little bit of her character, she's not someone that open her mouth casually,she speaks because she analizes people and situations.
Also the "arrogant and cool guy" archetype is OBVIOUSLY an archetype that Deneve herself intentionally keep up as an armor,it doesn't take a genius to see that there is a lot more to her than that archetype:
for example,thanx to her "sensibility" it's easy to see that she is also very caring,infact more than one time in the story it's shown that when some of her friends have some mental trouble she is the only one that notice and interacts with them (usually hiding her real intention).....but the result is ALWAYS very effective since after the interaction with her her friends generally are able to gain a positive mental status (in case you forgot she did this with Claire,Taby,Miria,Undine and some of the new warriors like Diet).
No seriously,imo it's ridiculous to describe her character as a simple "arrogant cool guy" archetype when instead it's incredibly evident that there is a lot more in her character.

It's a fact that you don't like Deneve (and that's a personal opinion),but it's also a fact that you don't undrerstand her character at all,infact why you didn't say anything when i made you notice that you were completely distorting what she said in the last chapter?
Old 2012-01-27, 16:20   Link #417
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Roflmao, I'm so happy I could rep you Jean Claymore - your post was hilarious

But why make it? Do you agree/disagree with me?
Old 2012-01-27, 23:21   Link #418
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:
Roflmao, I'm so happy I could rep you Jean Claymore - your post was hilarious

But why make it? Do you agree/disagree with me?
No I really liked it except for Jean's personality overlapping with Raki (sorry Raki fans... Not a "hater" but he just turns me down). Serious, was hella interesting to see others POVs about my favorite char so far and you made some logical statement there which kinda convinced me even if I diagreed.

Anyways, I'd rather go with Dietrich more or less overlapping with Jean (maybe that's why I'm sticking to her because of her loyalty and there strong bond of friendship with the ghosts) since Jean wasn't that kind of super-obssessed type either besides standing on the defensive when protecting Clare. I think she even showed her feminime tsundere side within the manga apologizing to Flora or Galatea (in anime she was more of a masculine type though).

Anyways, back on the track, Jean and Dietrich's situations were just to different as for there love. I think Jean too could have stuck to the org if she was saved by them since she is the kind of repaying her debts; and I assume the MiBs most likely picked an aimlessly wandering girl in town (Yeah, it sounds stupid -.-). To sum it up, both of them bearing there strong sense of honor are very alike and to add Dietrich's about to desert from the org, so I guess she can look after Jean if we ever see more development in her.

Quote:
So in a sense, all three are different -- Jean seemingly was honorable for the sake of it, Dietrich is honorable because of her tragic past, and Raki is honorable for not being a warrior; on the surface, they are all alike, deep down, they are all different.
*Jaws dropped Couldn't agree more... Really, I very liked your post. No empty words (wish I could rep though...)
Old 2012-01-28, 00:16   Link #419
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Believe me Jean Claymore, I really didn't like saying it all that well....that the only thing, in a sense, that's unique about Jean was the fact that she was a female Claymore....everything else from her is taken from a previous character who goes by the name of Raki....

But no, that can't be true - That just feels too hollow.....the down-side is, unfortunately, we just haven't seen enough of her I feel; the flip-side on the other hand is, we can theorize the possibility that her honor and personality was simply always there and not spurned on by a tragedy or some such. It's what I said in my previous post, and not a bad thing all things considered. Ambiguity and her short life both helps and hurts our ability to look at her.

Well, barring Raki, Yes, Dietrich and Jean obviously share many traits....to add more examples, Cynthia and Priscilla - both women positive women with a love for humanity and what's right which, in turns, somewhat overlapped (at a point) with the Organization; since the Org presumably stood for the protection of mankind.

Obviously though, Cynthia's positive goody-goody nature conflicted with their real attitudes and she was sent to Pieta....Priscilla as well, had she had more years and more self-confidence in herself, undoubtedly would have conflicted with the Org's stance on "justice" and possibly, and ironically, became a rogue like Teresa.

All 4 women as a whole, are proud justice-seeking women with differences in them all due to their own experiences -- superficially however, they aren't all that different from eachother. They could become a superhero-squad altogether
Old 2012-01-28, 04:02   Link #420
Gooral
Banned

If someone better in English could help me with this, I'm not entirely sure what does
"In the lands of the West, Yuma has obtained youki synchronization abilities right up there with Cynthia."
mean.
Does it mean that Yuma became as adept in youki synchronization as Cynthia (i.e. she could do it at her level) or that she joined the club of few Claymores that can do that or... I have troubles with interpreting it correctly because of my low English skills.

Oh, and Shiek, I don't see any resemblance to Raki either and I share Jean Claymore view on this.
Closed Thread