Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-02, 11:30   Link #29781
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I never understood the 1000+ year sentences. Is it done just to make things easier on the books? I know that they come about from multiple different charges stacking on top of each other. But to it sounds like something a 5 year old would come up with along the lines of "Nah ah! You're out for infinity plus 1 turns!"
at least in the US these days Life means Life. Not Life = out after 15 years.
Old 2013-08-02, 11:33   Link #29782
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
That's ok, they don't need no training or education for skilled jobs, they can all go work at McDonald for 15/hr (or 21/hr like some have said)!

Because you know, they say they totally deserve to be paid that much for flipping burgers.
How much are the landlords charging over there? How much does the property cost, and how good is the upkeep on those buildings? It's easy to criticize the "low end" jobs and the amount that people want for them, but we're not living in and on air over here. So why don't the guys who collect money off of property for doing nothing more than having their name on some papers ever get some criticism for the amounts that they're charging?
Old 2013-08-02, 11:47   Link #29783
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty sure it's there to basically say "You cannot possibly get parole, and you have no chance to get out for good behavior." If it were just life, they could theoretically serve some amount, but then spend the rest of the time on parole.
I think it's just for making a point in this case, I'm pretty sure he already got life without possibly of parole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
How much are the landlords charging over there? How much does the property cost, and how good is the upkeep on those buildings? It's easy to criticize the "low end" jobs and the amount that people want for them, but we're not living in and on air over here. So why don't the guys who collect money off of property for doing nothing more than having their name on some papers ever get some criticism for the amounts that they're charging?
Property in Detroit? You mean the lots you can buy for $250? . Not sure why you're bringing rent housing into this, not that rent in the D is high.

What they're demanding is ludicrous. $15-20+ per hour for entry level fast food job that requires exactly zero skill? What is so special about their work that they should be paid the same/more than EMT techs or teachers or various professional and skilled labor jobs, or for that matter, police/fire and troops fighting in a warzone?

The answer is nothing - I know, I worked there before.
Old 2013-08-02, 11:49   Link #29784
GDB

Oh, they changed life? I recall it used to mean 20 years, but if it now means actual life (and has without parole attached), then yeah this was just for show. Well, technically they need to follow through on all charges, so if the charges added up to that, then they did. Can't go ignoring protocol and laws just to have things be stated simply.
Old 2013-08-02, 12:29   Link #29785
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I thought it was just a mechanical result of the way such things are tallied in the US.

(And while absurd, it sure as hell beats "life, rounded down to 5 because you're old and didn't rape any child while you were in jail".)
Old 2013-08-02, 12:44   Link #29786
kyp275
Meh

There are life with and without parole, and generally a prosecutor isn't going to file 900+ charges, and unless it's to make a point, many times multiple convictions will have concurrent sentences, unlike the consecutive sentences here.
Old 2013-08-02, 16:41   Link #29787
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Supreme Court orders California to free thousands from crowded prisons
source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...d-prisons?lite
Quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court refused Friday to let California delay the release of thousands of inmates from state prisons to relieve crowding.

In June, a lower court ordered California to release about 10,000 inmates — nearly 8 percent of all state prisoners — by the end of the year to improve to improve medical and mental health treatment. Gov. Jerry Brown last month asked the Supreme Court to delay the order, arguing that it would jeopardize public safety.
comments: oh boy. i hope the street won't be crowded with more criminals.
Old 2013-08-02, 17:33   Link #29788
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post

Well if they just released white collar criminals or those serving time for marijuana possession it shouldn't make the streets more dangerous.
Old 2013-08-02, 17:42   Link #29789
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post

those bleeding heart liberal supreme justices...oh wait
Old 2013-08-02, 17:51   Link #29790
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I never understood the 1000+ year sentences.
In case someone's an immortal vampire....

Quote:

What they're demanding is ludicrous. $15-20+ per hour for entry level fast food job that requires exactly zero skill? What is so special about their work that they should be paid the same/more than EMT techs or teachers or various professional and skilled labor jobs, or for that matter, police/fire and troops fighting in a warzone?

Like all "capitalists", they demand for as much as they think they can get away with. Even those on the upper echelon have occasionally attempted to ask for something ridiculous, sometimes rejected, sometimes succeeded.

As for what they may say to the professionals, probably something along the lines of "LoLz, you are being underpaid, but if you are not willing to fight for more, that's on you."

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-08-02 at 18:04.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:10   Link #29791
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ but vampire need to suck blood though...oh wait. >_______>;
Quote:

dang...that's as much as i'm getting paid for at my company ($16 hr.) as a CAD/CAM engineer.
my job require a lot of physical and mental strength process and often times give
me a lot of headache when customers bit*h like a fu*king a$$holes and demanding
this and that.

screw this, let's just all go flipping burgers for $15 hr.! i might even get to live a couple of years longer. ^_____^

oh and living in California is also high. let's see:
rent = $350
food = $250
internet = $55
BILLS = $500+
gasoline for car = $60

meh....i'm doing fine...i guess. maybe i should demand a paid raise from my boss again.

and oh crap, $15 hr. for flipping burger is 100x more better than the military slave pay! (coming from an Army Vet here) no joke. :P
Old 2013-08-02, 18:16   Link #29792
GDB

$350 rent is high? Unless that's weekly, get a reality check.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:25   Link #29793
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ yes, that's high for me, no need to be an ass. actually we rent a house, so it's $2100 a month. i split
with my family.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:30   Link #29794
GDB

Well, splitting is different. I was under the impression you were talking about an apartment for $350 a month total.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:57   Link #29795
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Property in Detroit? You mean the lots you can buy for $250? . Not sure why you're bringing rent housing into this, not that rent in the D is high.

I bring up rent because I always see people harping on the folks working "unskilled jobs" who demand more money, yet other elements of society get off without a single criticism.

I don't disagree that the guys working at McDonald's shouldn't be making as much as other jobs that are more demanding and/or require more training. Their demand for higher wages isn't surprising, either. After all, nearly everyone wants more money. Yet people need to be paid a living wage. We're looking at income that these workers are earning and demand to earn, but what are their forced expenditures? What are they getting for what they're paying? If they're in a crappy situation because of poor budgeting then that's tough but it's of their own making. If rent, food, and other necessities are costing quite a bit then there's a problem, and I think it's worth asking why the costs are what they are.
Old 2013-08-02, 19:18   Link #29796
Sumeragi
Banned

The supposed minimum standard of living has been set too high, I would say.
Old 2013-08-02, 19:39   Link #29797
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I bring up rent because I always see people harping on the folks working "unskilled jobs" who demand more money, yet other elements of society get off without a single criticism.

I don't disagree that the guys working at McDonald's shouldn't be making as much as other jobs that are more demanding and/or require more training. Their demand for higher wages isn't surprising, either. After all, nearly everyone wants more money. Yet people need to be paid a living wage. We're looking at income that these workers are earning and demand to earn, but what are their forced expenditures? What are they getting for what they're paying? If they're in a crappy situation because of poor budgeting then that's tough but it's of their own making. If rent, food, and other necessities are costing quite a bit then there's a problem,
living wage and force expenditures depends on location, location and location.

There is a huge different between Detroit and the SF-BayArea in cost of living. Considering the difference between housing in the 2 areas, you can live OK if not great in Detroit base on National Min Wage standard compare to someone living the SF-BayArea.

Quote:
and I think it's worth asking why the costs are what they are.
Demand
Old 2013-08-02, 20:25   Link #29798
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

In Germany you can work for up to 450€ per month without paying any taxes (aside from VAT of course). And even if you don't work: Everyone who pays taxes must also pay a certain "Arbeitslosenversicherung" (unemployment insurance). That money is then given to the unoccupied people, so there are only few that don't have enough money to live here. However that money is only given for a certain amount of time and if you don't start working again after a certain time limit, the amount of money you receive is reduced considerably. In this case you only receive the so-called "Sozial Hilfe" (social welfare), which is barely enough to survive.

And as far as I know you don't get much more than 7,50€ (excluding taxes) per hour which equates to about 10$ when working at McDonald's or Burger King here. Though I don't know for sure, because I never worked there and don't know anyone who did.
Old 2013-08-02, 20:40   Link #29799
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
And as far as I know you don't get much more than 7,50€ (excluding taxes) per hour which equates to about 10$ when working at McDonald's or Burger King here. Though I don't know for sure, because I never worked there and don't know anyone who did.
$8 for reg workers
$10 for shift managers.
Old 2013-08-02, 21:13   Link #29800
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Is that how being a landlord works? Funny, because I manage a few properties, and I'm pretty sure it's a full time job that takes budgeting skills, lots of planning/expenses, and a huge time commitment with no days off. If there's an emergency at 2 AM on a Sunday, you're still on the call to fix it.

Now I can't speak for Detroit and with their bankruptcy/financial situation I'm sure there is some peculiarity, but here in MA there are very strict regulations and regular inspections of buildings for safety and liveability standards. Some people try to own slums, but they all eventually get caught.

Anyways, your post just kinda came off as "evil landlords!" when property management is actually a tough job, not to mention the fact that owning property is taking a financial risk just like any other investment.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international