Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-10, 10:46   Link #3841
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Yes. They prefer CIA Fact Book over the make up numbers you provide.
Learn to take a joke.
Old 2010-06-10, 21:27   Link #3842
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

another silly question from me

can you play PS2 games on the PS3?
I wanna ask first before I try

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 23:50   Link #3843
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
another silly question from me

can you play PS2 games on the PS3?
I wanna ask first before I try
Early models of the PS3 had backwards compatability, i.e. they could play PS2 games. But a few years ago, Sony started complaining about how the emulators were too expensive, so they took them out of subsequent PS3 models. Sony no longer sells PS3s that play PS2 games, and I doubt they ever will again unless they find a cheaper emulator. All PS3s, including the slims, play PSOne games, though, if that interests you.

You can lurk on second hand sites for some of the older models. For reference, the following models can play PS2 games: the original 20 and 60 GB, Piano Black body, black trim; and the second gen 20 and 80 GB, Piano Black body, chrome trim. Neither of these are in production any longer.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 00:20   Link #3844
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I was feigning stupidity at the joke. You must think I'm incredibly dim or very tasteless in humor.
Must be because of your avatar....

Go and find a Takeyama Christ's one then
Old 2010-06-11, 19:57   Link #3845
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
You can lurk on second hand sites for some of the older models. For reference, the following models can play PS2 games: the original 20 and 60 GB, Piano Black body, black trim; and the second gen 20 and 80 GB, Piano Black body, chrome trim. Neither of these are in production any longer.
Even on our 60 GB model, the PS1 and PS2 emulation is sometimes spotty. I have games from both prior generations that will occasionally freeze our PS3 (ChronoCross on the PS1 and both Final Fantasy XII and Shadow Hearts: Covenant on the PS2). I think the problem sometimes occurs as much because of demands on the audio side as on the video, surprising as that may sound. We eventually bought a used PS1 for about $25 on eBay. I might invest in a used PS2 someday as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 20:02   Link #3846
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Even on our 60 GB model, the PS1 and PS2 emulation is sometimes spotty. I have games from both prior generations that will freeze our PS3 (ChronoCross and Shadow Hearts: Covenant respectively). I think the problem sometimes occurs as much because of demands on the audio side as on the video, surprising as that may sound. We eventually bought a used PS1 for about $25 on eBay. I might invest in a used PS2 someday as well.
No need for a used PS2, you can buy a new slim for $100. The used ones go for even better prices. The sound quality on the slim may be a teensy bit inferior to the fat one, but it'll probably be better than any sound that used fat PS2s can spit out any day.
Old 2010-06-12, 02:56   Link #3847
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Using movie and anime cartoon in one wall of capped text is not a good thing, it confuses peoples. Anyway ditch the capslock please...
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 17:09   Link #3848
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafir View Post
[Snip, shouldn't be read. - Komari]
Anime/Manga/Game Identification Help
You'll have a much better chance of getting your question answered ^.

Also, what's wrong with your capslock button, is it stuck in the on position? Please type intelligently, otherwise you'll be labeled as a spammer or troll, w/e.

What is Madonna's real hair color?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-06-14 at 03:48. Reason: merged dublepost
Old 2010-06-13, 15:41   Link #3849
qwertyuiopz

can you still downoad while using proxy?
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 17:13   Link #3850
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What is Madonna's real hair color?
dark brown i believe. not sure why i know that
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 19:15   Link #3851
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
dark brown i believe. not sure why i know that
lulz. I've seen it in quite a few shades, I almost thought it was naturally blonde.
Old 2010-06-13, 21:33   Link #3852
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
can you still downoad while using proxy?
Depends on the proxy and method of download. Some proxies limit what ports you can access. If your download program is working through those blocked ports, you won't be able to download.

It's also worth noting that use of a proxy will almost always result in a slower download speed. This is because you're adding yet another link between you and the host that you're downloading from. If your proxy is sluggish it will become the weak link, as your download speed will depend on how fast the proxy can download from the origin and upload to you.
Old 2010-06-13, 22:33   Link #3853
oompa loompa

There was an ad I saw in a paper today for sunglasses, it said 'HD vision' on it. I'm fairly sure it doesn't mean much, but what the hell does HD vision mean in reference to sunglasses?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 23:42   Link #3854
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
There was an ad I saw in a paper today for sunglasses, it said 'HD vision' on it. I'm fairly sure it doesn't mean much, but what the hell does HD vision mean in reference to sunglasses?
High Definition Picture. Allows you to view picture crisper than any regular eyeballs can give you. Upgrade today.

I'm serious. That's what these glasses claim to do. Giving you the ultimate clarity while your peepers are hiding behind dark sunshields.
Old 2010-06-14, 08:55   Link #3855
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

thanks komari
now I know

lol and I almost tried it XD
we just bought our PS3 a month ago so I guess it's from a new manufacture
so in that case, it doesn't have an emulator that plays PS2 games huh

thanks again~

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 20:52   Link #3856
Blayne Barudorii

What is it in Japanese high schools and making it against the rules to find part time work in Anime? Whats the reasoning behind this and why is it so prevalent? I could never figure this out with only casual inquiries.
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 21:54   Link #3857
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
What is it in Japanese high schools and making it against the rules to find part time work in Anime? Whats the reasoning behind this and why is it so prevalent? I could never figure this out with only casual inquiries.
Why would a student want to get a part time job in animation, or any serious consumer art? It doesn't pay crap unless you're popular, which some high school student most definitely will not be. Working in anime in particular can have long hours, even if you're just an in-between frame artist, and it won't pay as much as you think cup noodles and overnighters would deserve. Animators need to devote large amounts of time to animating, and they won't always know when they'll need to commit insanely long hours. How can a student possibly devote a large amount of time to animating when they have demanding studies as well? A budding animator needs to be flexible to get the job, and a student just has way too much on their plate already to have high chances of getting a job.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:36   Link #3858
Blayne Barudorii

I think we're having a misunderstanding here, when I said "in anime" I meant "as depicted in anime" not "in anime (job field)".
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 03:26   Link #3859
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
A lot of people do work part time in anime series, the problem however is when you go to a Japanese school it is not a simple 9-4 procedure. Many students in RL have clubs that come after school times, go to school on Saturday so there is not much work to pick from besides what you see as a bartender which many parents and students do not want because it is seen as an obscure job as it is very late in the evening and might get your grades down because of lack of studying.

Jap schools should not be compared to western schools, we have a lot more freedom while their people are boosted to preform perfect and be involved with school and not things that might interfere with school performances. To mimic that image they based it on RL (though in anime it is still very softened, the real schools are hardly anything like those in the animations)
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 10:53   Link #3860
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
A lot of people do work part time in anime series, the problem however is when you go to a Japanese school it is not a simple 9-4 procedure. Many students in RL have clubs that come after school times, go to school on Saturday so there is not much work to pick from besides what you see as a bartender which many parents and students do not want because it is seen as an obscure job as it is very late in the evening and might get your grades down because of lack of studying.

Jap schools should not be compared to western schools, we have a lot more freedom while their people are boosted to preform perfect and be involved with school and not things that might interfere with school performances. To mimic that image they based it on RL (though in anime it is still very softened, the real schools are hardly anything like those in the animations)
The Japanese system is almost the reverse of the American system. What I've generally heard, supported by my Japanese language instructors, is that in Japan, students study like crazy throughout middle and high school in order to try and advance into a prestigious high school or university, respectively. A somewhat average schedule might have students in school up until the early afternoon, after which they might engage in after-school clubs for a few hours, and then they go on to after-school tutoring that goes until some time in the evening. It's all a frantic effort to get into those brand-name schools.

By comparison, in America there is also something of a push to get into a respected university, but it's not nearly on the level as it is in Japan. Going to a well-known (usually private) high school can help you to get admission and/or scholarships, but going to an unknown high school won't really count <i>against</i> you.

Once Japanese students reach the university level, things become a joke compared to the American experience. Japanese universities are incredibly easy, and university students generally pick up part-time jobs and have a good time. (The jobs are generally taken in order to fund the good times.) How well-known/respected the university is pretty much directly impacts your job prospects - not your performance (which is critically easy), hence the casual attitude about it.

Again by way of comparison, while there are students who treat the American university experience as one big party and while there are programs of study that are pretty easy, most students need to put in a at least a decent amount of work to excel. University performance, extracurriculars, and other appropriate experience are the things that factor into your job prospects - the name of your university alone won't make or break your ability to get a job with any given company.

I haven't seen any shows where high schoolers are looked down upon for working part time, but in theory it would make sense. What high school you go to has a strong impact on which university you can go to. Which university you go to either opens doors or closes them to various job positions and with various companies. Given how important it is, it would be total false economy to do a bit of part-time work instead of putting in the hours of study that your peers are.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious