AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 19:38   Link #4161
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Arsenal 1-3 Bayern Munich: it just shows that Bayern are quite the team to beat this year while Arsenal are still stuck with the same usual problems in Europe. If you ask me, someone has to consider forcing Wenger to step down and start anew.
Agreed. I didn't want to admit it a couple of months ago but Wenger has to be replaced. There are definitely issues with the club but his reluctance to spend and mixed results when he does is arguably the biggest right now.

After all he's done for Arsenal and the game in general, asking him to step down would be extremely difficult but the club needs a direction or the divide between Arsenal and top clubs will grow ever wider.
Old 2013-02-22, 21:09   Link #4162
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
After all he's done for Arsenal and the game in general, asking him to step down would be extremely difficult but the club needs a direction or the divide between Arsenal and top clubs will grow ever wider.
Arsenal's transfer policy and scouting leaves something to be desired, but how will sacking Wenger change the problem that United, City and Chelsea have greater resources? Spending for the sake of it, has been tested by Liverpool and the result wasn't exactly pretty.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 21:42   Link #4163
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Arsenal's transfer policy and scouting leaves something to be desired, but how will sacking Wenger change the problem that United, City and Chelsea have greater resources? Spending for the sake of it, has been tested by Liverpool and the result wasn't exactly pretty.
All I can say is that Dortmund managed to break Bayern's domination in the Bundesliga in the last 2 seasons despite having limited resources. We all know that Bayern is supposedly alone in Germany in terms of financial power and prestige and, yet, Dortmund managed to maul Bayern (especially in last year's German Cup final). So, my guess is Jurgen Klopp does something very good to this club with something innovative somewhere.

Where I believe Wenger created his own problems was when he replaced his best "warriors" with players who don't have the same level of commitment/determination to become leaders. I know spending money for the sake of it isn't good (see Liverpool), but spending more in the leadership department instead of focusing too much on potential skill would have been of some help in the right direction considering that leadership is a quality they lacked for some time now.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-02-22 at 22:22.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 09:13   Link #4164
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Sacking Arsene obviously wouldn't change that and I'm not advocating the club just throw money at anyone that flashes talent, but things will never get better if we same inactivity in the summer.

Wenger seemed as adamant as ever that he'd spend yesterday but that might just be talk.
Old 2013-02-23, 13:41   Link #4165
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Honestly, the state of Arsenal's general play these days is highlighted by the lack of impetus and drive going forward; hell, the only guys who are doing so are Walcott, and Wilshere. Wilshere breaking from deep causes problems for opponents but Walcott breaking forward without any support in sight in a radius of at least 15 yards at times (and being left isolated) causes our own problems.

Allows the opposition to get enough men back and we pass the ball around trying to find an opening again. Marking at the back is appalling at times. Against Bayern how many times were they allowed to get in behind with a throw-in?

The win over Villa today won't mask our problems either, because Weimann's goal was entirely preventable (Jenkinson with a poor initial header and Szczesny with a bad piece of goalkeeping). However, encouraging signs are there. Wilshere being one of the most consistent players, Diaby being influential in regaining possession, and Cazorla wreaking havoc by starting out wide and floating around in a free role. A sweet brace that shows his increasingly confident finishing.

Walcott was a mixed bag today. Threatened in spurts but wasn't convincing anyone about his already-known lack of ability to play in narrow spaces. He needs to learn how to dribble in tight areas consistently to overcome this problem.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 17:46   Link #4166
Bri

Quote:
All I can say is that Dortmund managed to break Bayern's domination in the Bundesliga in the last 2 seasons despite having limited resources. We all know that Bayern is supposedly alone in Germany in terms of financial power and prestige and, yet, Dortmund managed to maul Bayern (especially in last year's German Cup final). So, my guess is Jurgen Klopp does something very good to this club with something innovative somewhere.

Where I believe Wenger created his own problems was when he replaced his best "warriors" with players who don't have the same level of commitment/determination to become leaders. I know spending money for the sake of it isn't good (see Liverpool), but spending more in the leadership department instead of focusing too much on potential skill would have been of some help in the right direction considering that leadership is a quality they lacked for some time now.
There isn't much difference in the methods of Arsenal and Dortmund. Both buy and develop young players just before they reach their prime. Main difference is that Dortmund has found great talent in their domestic recruiting grounds and only has to deal with one financial powerhouse in their league. Arsenal's French connection isn't producing the talent it once did.

However buying top tier players in their prime is expensive. City invested close to a billion pounds over three years just to win the league once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Sacking Arsene obviously wouldn't change that and I'm not advocating the club just throw money at anyone that flashes talent, but things will never get better if we same inactivity in the summer.

Wenger seemed as adamant as ever that he'd spend yesterday but that might just be talk.
True, we will see what happens. Maybe the implementation of FFP has been what he was waiting for to start spending. In theory it could curb City and Chelsea's financial clout considerably.
Old 2013-02-23, 20:27   Link #4167
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
However buying top tier players in their prime is expensive. City invested close to a billion pounds over three years just to win the league once.
You should add to that how much Chelsea spend on winning their first Champion League.
Also another problem of Arsenal seem to be that it sale importante player without having nobody to replace those player.
ChampDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 01:51   Link #4168
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
On some new rumours, Wenger has been offered new contract. And Wenger is putting condition that he will signed new offer if Arsenal brings David Dein back.
David Dein has been important in Arsenal summer transaction during the early days of Wenger's reign. This is one of the main reason why Wenger lost his touch during transfer season nowadays.

And my stance still stand. Wenger must stand down for a refreshment in Arsenal's team. Since all British promising youth already signing long term contract, i dont fear that Wilshere & co will move to other competitor.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 14:42   Link #4169
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Shinji Kagawa became today the first Asian footballer to score a hat-trick in the Premier League in a 4-0 win over Norwich City. I was wishing so much for him to score and gain some confidence back, and (God!) he did just that.

In a different country, Real Madrid beat Barcelona for the second time in just a few days (2-1 in La Liga today; and 3-1 in the Copa Del Rey). Dunno what Mourinho told his players recently, but they are firing on all cylinders right now.

Now, people should brace themselves for Manchester United/Real Madrid on Tuesday.
Old 2013-03-04, 14:29   Link #4170
Kyuu
=^^=

Hey Soccer people...

Is FIFA really this stupid?

Quote:
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be moved to winter if medical reports show summer temperatures in Qatar would be dangerously high, a senior Fifa official has admitted.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21644726

Personally, I can go to Wikipedia to know that.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 14:47   Link #4171
Bri

Probably meaning summer temperatures at training and match facilities after taking account of air-conditioning and climate controls. Qatar operates ice-skating facilities in summer, doubt they'd have much trouble cooling football stadiums.
Old 2013-03-04, 14:49   Link #4172
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

No wonder why I think that playing the World Cup in Qatar is dead plain dumb in my book.

The venue should have been Australia as much as England should be hosting the World Cup in 2018 because of the higher quality of the venues, end of story.
Old 2013-03-05, 16:44   Link #4173
Blaat

So many Arsenal fans here.

Anyway Real are through after they've won all their matches in their 'super week' (2x Barca, 1x ManU in 7 days).
Honestly though it was the ref who decided the match with that red card, Nani had his eyes on the ball and there was no intent. Before the red card Real was harmless.
Old 2013-03-05, 19:49   Link #4174
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
So many Arsenal fans here.

Anyway Real are through after they've won all their matches in their 'super week' (2x Barca, 1x ManU in 7 days).
Honestly though it was the ref who decided the match with that red card, Nani had his eyes on the ball and there was no intent. Before the red card Real was harmless.
This is not just a mistake in officiating. IT WAS A TOTAL TRAVESTY OF A DECISION!!! It was not far away from what happened in Stamford Bridge in 2009 when Chelsea were playing the return leg against Barcelona.

How can a guy (Nani) get sent of because he had a high boot going for a pass while the other jackass (that former Scouser, Arbeloa) was coming from the blind side? All of that happening some time after the first goal was scored and that ref took his time before giving his decision. That Turkish referee was a total Grade A a-hole, as much as the rest of UEFA, Michel Platini included. The Spanish economy must be so crappy that the Spanish government (owner of Real) is needing so badly the money going with going into the quarterfinals, and then beg UEFA for help. Honestly, f*** off Madrid and just starve to death with your crapconomics already.

The only regret I have regarding United's performance tonight was the fact that we missed a number of chances. Except for that, in no way United deserved to lose this one.

Rant over.
Old 2013-03-05, 20:22   Link #4175
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
No wonder why I think that playing the World Cup in Qatar is dead plain dumb in my book.

The venue should have been Australia as much as England should be hosting the World Cup in 2018 because of the higher quality of the venues, end of story.
Seeing Australia's team perform in the past couple World Cups, that country is overdue to host one.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 21:03   Link #4176
Bri

Again an interesting match between United and Real. United's pre-match team selection and tactics worked well as Alonso was shut down and Reals offense seemed non threatening.

Nani's send off changed things completely. United was caught off guard and they went to pieces after some clever subbing by Mourinho by bringing on Modric.

I don't think it was a red card, as the foul was accidental and to my knowledge unintentional dangerous play is punished with a yellow card.

While unlucky for United I have to admit I was amused when the English media went in to meltdown. In 2010 they were all to eager to crucify De Jong for his challenge in the world cup final. Now a player of one of the top EPL teams reaps the reward as refs have adapted. Karma and such.
Old 2013-03-05, 21:44   Link #4177
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Who cares? All I know is that Michel Platini is a big fat bent twat and that both Spanish giants shouldn't need any help from anybody, and less from the refs/UEFA. Speaking of the UEFA and the refs, there are not there to allow a nation (that is going down in hopelessness and despair) to dream. If I adapt Ivan Drago's famous quote from Rocky IV, it should sound simple: If they go down, they go down.
Old 2013-03-05, 22:08   Link #4178
Bri

I can understand the disappointment, but nothing suggests foul play. The ref also didn't punish Rafael's handball while clearing it of the goal line. The first half the man was excellent. Just bad luck on his interpretation on the seriousness of the foul. However United was still in a position to progress at the time of the send-off. They just lost their cool.

To quote Rocky Balboa: “it ain’t about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward…”
Old 2013-03-07, 05:33   Link #4179
Blaat

Quote:
While unlucky for United I have to admit I was amused when the English media went in to meltdown. In 2010 they were all to eager to crucify De Jong for his challenge in the world cup final. Now a player of one of the top EPL teams reaps the reward as refs have adapted. Karma and such.
It has to be said Nani had eyes on the ball, de Jong had no interest in the ball.
Old 2013-03-07, 16:10   Link #4180
Bri

True, fortunately intent hasn't mattered since the rules were rewritten in 1997

Tags
football, soccer