AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-02-13, 02:20   Link #921
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've written to Dark Horse Comics and Yen Press with suggestions.. and gotten responses. OTOH.... ADV and TP have never said a word, responded or shown any indication they do anything with their mail other than delete it. Oh, I take it back - they added my email to their spam advert list.

Can't hurt to write.
Old 2010-02-13, 06:01   Link #922
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Im not expecting anything to come of the letter or even a response as Yen Press dont seem to have a direct contact for this sort of stuff, but unless people who buy the books make it clear they want the material and want it quicker, for decent reasons - whats the chance it would happen? At least Ive tried. 4-5 months would still be better than 6!
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 10:29   Link #923
LKK

Yen Press is a super small division of Hatchett Books. I bet they have less than a dozen full-time employees. (If Yen Plus monthly is any indication, the number is closer to 6 than to 12.) Despite their lack of size, they do make an effort to keep in touch with fans. I've seen Kurt Hassler (the head of Yen Press) post on several forums and blogs. (I even got a compliment and reply back from him on a post I made once. ) I bet you will eventually get a response even if it's just a Thank You for Writing type of form letter. I wouldn't expect a quick response though.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 10:52   Link #924
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Ah, Vol.14 has a very sweet ending.
Spoiler for ending:
Big spoiler?
Spoiler for Afterward:
Spoiler for next volume:
S&W will end within the year, since the author is saying that this year is a big turning point.
Spoiler for 14:
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 13:07   Link #925
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Yen Press is a super small division of Hatchett Books. I bet they have less than a dozen full-time employees. (If Yen Plus monthly is any indication, the number is closer to 6 than to 12.) Despite their lack of size, they do make an effort to keep in touch with fans. I've seen Kurt Hassler (the head of Yen Press) post on several forums and blogs. (I even got a compliment and reply back from him on a post I made once. ) I bet you will eventually get a response even if it's just a Thank You for Writing type of form letter. I wouldn't expect a quick response though.
Yen has a Twitter presence.... the person who runs that often responds to tweets.
Old 2010-02-13, 13:48   Link #926
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yen has a Twitter presence.... the person who runs that often responds to tweets.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Yen having a Twitter presence. How I forgot it, I don't know since I won some nice things through one of their Twitter contests.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 15:30   Link #927
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Any response would be nice! In a way I feel sorry for them as the letter perhaps shows, they really did get a bit of a backlash over that changed cover. Im happy the property is coming to english, f*** the cover (even if I didnt think it was brilliant).

Hounding them via twitter would be a little crazy/obsessive...I'd like to think I'm just....focused, if theres only 6-12 of them in that subsection of the company I think they've likely got better things to do
Old 2010-02-14, 04:45   Link #928
Rose_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Are you making some point of some sort? People who work for a living like to get money for their work. Hobbyists don't expect money for their hobby. B-T will continue to find and work on unlicensed novels. Its what they do.

Excuse me? Have you walked into any bookstore in the US? Or visit a US bookstore website and scan the title list? There are tens of thousands of books - thousands of them qualify as light novels. The acquisition of japanese light novels and translating them is a new thing and the potential for success untested in the US - there are only a small handful of titles out. There are english translations of books from all over the Earth being sold in the US as well as a huge domestic line of books. Are you really not understanding the book market or how business works?

Anime licensing is unrelated to this discussion. But Crunchy Roll is available for free as well as licensed - it just changes the quality of the video. Its the closest thing there is to a domestic Japanese viewer's access (they must pay for their cable subscription to see anime). Yeah, I agree their translations are pretty bad at times. My biggest complaint is that streaming models run directly into the obsolete regional licensing restrictions. The Internet doesn't suffer "balkanization" well.

But you're starting to sound like those folks who feel entitled to all their entertainment for free with these complaints.
As for B-T see that you knowledge little on this topic.
I see many pages, and i was't in the US because it is overseas, and I don't have any reasons to go there.

How business works?
I know how they work, they have predicted a profit if they license novels, and why they doing this.
And that will finish this discussions you have your own way thinking on this and i have own and let this be like this.
So if you will depend on answering i invite on pm.

But if they really want to have much customers they have release it often.
Because like i said earlier this is large amount for import and buy novel.
Do you will pay a 130$ or 130 pounds for one book?
And what about the others in which dollars are worth more.
Rose_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 11:59   Link #929
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_t View Post
Do you will pay a 130$ or 130 pounds for one book?
And what about the others in which dollars are worth more.
If I found a book series I was passionate about and there was enough material, then yes I'd happily spend that much on a book series/author.

I've got about 20-25 David Eddings (RIP) novels, which easily cost more than $130, or even £130 (given most of them are $9-10 dollar books, and some were more). If someone does something well, I have no issue paying them for thier work!
We live in a mostly capitalist world, so I see no problem rewarding someone for good work. In the same vein, I have no issue paying for a copy of every single translated volume of Spice and Wolf.

I'm sure there are people out there who bought the complete Animorphs series, and that was 50 volumes.
Old 2010-02-14, 13:40   Link #930
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(shrug) I know some of the people who work on B-T. That's all that needs to be said.
Old 2010-02-14, 14:27   Link #931
Rose_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
If I found a book series I was passionate about and there was enough material, then yes I'd happily spend that much on a book series/author.

I've got about 20-25 David Eddings (RIP) novels, which easily cost more than $130, or even £130 (given most of them are $9-10 dollar books, and some were more). If someone does something well, I have no issue paying them for thier work!
We live in a mostly capitalist world, so I see no problem rewarding someone for good work. In the same vein, I have no issue paying for a copy of every single translated volume of Spice and Wolf.

I'm sure there are people out there who bought the complete Animorphs series, and that was 50 volumes.
Taaa, see that you don't understand the price that i have write erilier is for 1 volume with a cost of import.
So if there is 14 volumes, and will be more.

14*130=1820.
Think if those short stories will be as an additive to volume.
11*130=1430.
If they realese it over 6 months i will be import 2 volumes at once i must add 2 volume.
So 6 imports or more.
6*169=1014.
And so on, so i have issue paying, and better if they realese it over 4 months.
Old 2010-02-14, 14:37   Link #932
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_t View Post
Taaa, see that you don't understand the price that i have given is for 1 volume with a cost of import.
So if there is 14 volumes, and will be more.

14*130=1820.
Think if those short stories will be as an additive to volume.
11*130=1430.
If they release it over 6 months i will be import 2 volumes at once i must add 2 volume.
So 6 imports or more.
6*169=1014.
And so on, so i have issue paying, and better if they release it over 4 months.
....are you seriously paying $130 US dollars per volume? I'm finding that hard to believe since the books are like what, $11 or so. You're paying over TEN TIMES the retail price, where the heck are you shipping them too?!?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 14:43   Link #933
Rose_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
....are you seriously paying $130 US dollars per volume? I'm finding that hard to believe since the books are like what, $11 or so. You're paying over TEN TIMES the retail price, where the heck are you shipping them too?!?
You should carefully read earlier posts im not from US so i must import novel with cost 30$ and novel i cost 13 so it is 43$ and if i conversion it in currency in my country it will be 130 zł.

So that why i write who will pays 130$ or 130£ for one volume.
Old 2010-02-14, 14:48   Link #934
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I live in the UK not the US, so I pay hefty charges to buy things in as well, especially if customs get hold of my packages (sometimes they're pretty damned nasty if they value stuff wrongly). You're not alone in having to pay inflated shipping costs (it varies dependant on courier, some companies charge me $10, others charge 20/30/40 etc).
If the exchange rate is low with your country to the US then it can't be helped, and is another matter completely, and trying to explain 130 of your currency as dollars doesnt work, hell look at Yen compared to US dollars, its thousands to one, so by the same logic they'd be paying well over the odds

Shipping and the additional costs that come with it are an unfortunate side of importing things, and something you have to get used to, I could argue the same about cars, films, computer parts, whatever from the US, its usually more expensive in Europe, but that's life
Oh...and especially petrol... next time anyone hears an American complain about petrol prices, slap them for me, because it's damned cheap there in comparison to most other countries, currently in the UK it costs almost $2 per LITRE, which is just shy of $10 per gallon here!
Old 2010-02-14, 14:57   Link #935
Rose_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I live in the UK not the US, so I pay hefty charges to buy things in as well, especially if customs get hold of my packages (sometimes they're pretty damned nasty if they value stuff wrongly). You're not alone in having to pay inflated shipping costs (it varies dependant on courier, some companies charge me $10, others charge 20/30/40 etc).
If the exchange rate is low with your country to the US then it can't be helped, and is another matter completely.
Ya but you conversion $ for £ with is worth more than $. And you have right exchange rate i lower than the US so and i can't do anything to this.
That why i want realese often.
I know this is only example but Yens this is a really bad comparison since it is Japanese novel.
For you may not work but there is wile such countries, and many people may have the same concern.
Since for such a pile of money is not much but I can always utilize it better than the novel, and think of it a long also for that 14*130=1820. I can buy car not good but for ride to school it wille be good, and many films, and also computer. :P

Exchange rate it is like is, so can't do anything must live with this some how.

And as for me this is the end of the discussion on this topic because it's still no place for such topics. We should rather discuss about Horo last spoilers shock me little that she do this.

Last edited by Rose_t; 2010-02-14 at 15:33.
Old 2010-02-14, 15:32   Link #936
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

$ may be weaker than the pound, but theres also a much higher average rate of tax in Europe, partially for reasons like this.

Hell, last time I did overtime, I only ended up getting 20% of it, because my monthly tax ate the rest!

My wage sounds nicer in $ than £ though haha
I already pay rent, food, tax (every time I turn around), insurance, car bills etc etc, so much as I like my expensive toys, they're not always my worst worry
Old 2010-02-14, 16:36   Link #937
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I think I will try those methods of getting in touch and will do so in a short, coherent fashion. If I am not successful in getting those few that haven't been put into volumes to be included into upcoming volumes/collections at least I will have them as scans or hard copies from the magazines, which I will translate... time permitting.

Yeah taxes stink, especially since I will be going from $150,000 in debt to an upper tax bracket in a few months. I don't know what rocket scientist/politician thinks that I can pay the kind of tax requirements they think I need to pay, while paying off my school loans and paying for a house and other costs of living... no girl wants a doctor who is broke like that (especially no cute ones with a certain kind of ears and a tail).

Last edited by Rajura; 2010-02-14 at 21:48. Reason: Bad Grammar (which may still be present... only less bad now).
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 15:19   Link #938
Rajura

Not to double post (granted it has been a few days here), but I got off school/work early today, and when I came in I found that my copy of the LN finally came in!!! I must say I pleased with the English so far, and I am exceptionally happy that RS was able to provide the dust cover to hide that horrid "US-geared" cover. They were even kind enough to prefold it, so it fits my book properly without poorly placed creases.

I must say, I have been very impressed with their service so far, and though there was the delay (which couldn't be helped), it was worth the wait. They will definitely continue to receive my business... even if most of it is only monkey business.
Old 2010-02-19, 18:21   Link #939
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Not to double post (granted it has been a few days here), but I got off school/work early today, and when I came in I found that my copy of the LN finally came in!!! I must say I pleased with the English so far, and I am exceptionally happy that RS was able to provide the dust cover to hide that horrid "US-geared" cover. They were even kind enough to prefold it, so it fits my book properly without poorly placed creases.

I must say, I have been very impressed with their service so far, and though there was the delay (which couldn't be helped), it was worth the wait. They will definitely continue to receive my business... even if most of it is only monkey business.
Lucky you, I've read my amazon copy but have to wait another week or so for my RS version with the cover (my brother will have my original as he's getting into it now too,although not as much as me!)

I dont blame Yen Press for taking the decision they did, and the cover isn't as bad in person as it could be, but I wish they'd chosen something more reflective of the material.
The english translation definately seems pretty solid (although I cant compare to the Japanese of course), and its actually surprisingly close to the anime. The book goes into more depth at points though so it explains a few things that might have left you wondering 'why?' in the anime a lot more thoroughly. Having read the novel, the anime translation seems even more impressive

I like the manga-esque illustrations too, they almost tie the book to the anime end sequences
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2010-02-19, 21:15   Link #940
Rajura

Ok, it's true the new cover may not be THAT bad in and of itself, but I do so much more prefer the original; it's much more appealing to my eye and as you kind of noted... better reflects the prize inside!

I hope they do the rest of the volumes with the originals... or at least provide dust jackets for the rest of the volumes... that would be so choice!

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen