AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 11:01   Link #41
grunty

that's some edit-fu skillz you got there, pichu. adding a whole line to change the sound of ur post. ^^
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 12:07   Link #42
Mentar
Banned

*wonders if as part of Koda's leadership skills, she just whipped the gg staff channel to come out and post here*

*realizes he has seen too much Kyouka-sama lately*

*hides from the raging gg hordes about to gut him*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 13:34   Link #43
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

These actions are the result of the behavioral modification chips that are implemented in their brains when they join. 1984. Big Sister Koda. Fuck yeah.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 13:55   Link #44
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*wonders if as part of Koda's leadership skills, she just whipped the gg staff channel to come out and post here*
No whipping, we are a hivemind
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 14:14   Link #45
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
I knew it:/

She loves to have people trolling on the threads I posted here ;_;
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:29   Link #46
Hisana
;p
*Fansubber

I'd like to work under a strong leader again... T_____T
Old 2008-10-02, 16:32   Link #47
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I don't do fansubs but if i ever did get into it i would rather lead my own group because i have my own personal ideals on how to do things.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 17:17   Link #48
grunty

Yea, so this forum has Fabulous Leaders, too. hi xris.
Old 2008-10-03, 06:55   Link #49
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:

*realizes he has seen too much Kyouka-sama lately*

*hides from the raging gg hordes about to gut him*
*awe*
Even if she did/didn't she has inspired me now, seeing all the praise I'm reading about her xD

*US cheesy trailer voice*
"In a world where males dominate and e-penis wars are fought for internet prestige, one woman gains respect of the soldiers in the battlezone that is... fansubbing."
My curiousity is tingling....

Leader or staff?
Both.
Project leader side:
I love staring hopelessness in the face and emotionally cutting myself to ressurrect dead projects, I swear I do! *laughs*
If all the pieces of the fansub lifecycle are there (from raw to distro) and the team generally gets on, then playing the middlegirl to keep the cogs turning so a script can pass from one stage to another is something i don't mind.
It's a kinda responsibility that has somehow transferred from things I do offline, so it feels no different... aside from the fact its all guys I gotta motivate without letting my female senses interfere too much, it's a learning process. At the end of the day though, it is still teamwork and I can't help but treat fansubbing (to a degree) alike teamwork in a real job.
If you cannot complete something in time or can't get it done, tell me and i'll find an alternative, rather than just being lazy or makin up excuses; the same way if you can't get to work for a day, you call up to let your manager know.

Even if there isn't a 'real job' perspective on it, I call it just being damn courteous to others, but perhaps that's just my Britishness at play there.
My personal work ethic would be alike the japanese: "work hard, party hard." When it's time to do your part, please do so. When done, time to have some fun."
As staff, I'd try to do my fansub part asap and then go terrorise the rest of the chan as normal, but it is nice when the only thing you'd need to be concerned about is your sole role. (TS, Edit, TL, etc)
The preference simply depends on how much responsibility you wanna carry as a person. *shrugs*

The aspect of a 'leader' still well and truly exists, just as someone mentioned earlier, it's rare to see nowadays, not to also mention it requires that person commands a certain amount of respect from the group, which has got to be earnt and the staff need to acknowledge that and behave in accordance to it.
To do that with a bunch of peeps from different locations of the world, with diff mindsets, diff backgrounds, diff ages etc is no easy feat, especially since we're all hiding behind a computer screen.
(Reprecussions What reprecussions?)
As I said, from the comments of the gg leader, I'm inspired that she's managed to pull it off and there don't seem to be any hard feelings about it

So if someone achieves that kinda leader status, then sure they can easily kick/ban a person and the others will have to listen or leave, (provided that the situation was dealt in a open, controlled manner), they can make the hard decisions, decide the projects and manipulate the general working atmosphere (and image too) of the group as a whole.
A good leader makes for happy staff who'll follow.

That be my two pence for the day~

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-10-03 at 07:17.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 08:41   Link #50
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
perhaps that's just my Britishness at play there + "work hard, party hard."

Surely these two are non-compatible? I always thought the British way was "procrastinate till dead."
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 09:26   Link #51
ilifin
fishy

Send a message via AIM to ilifin Send a message via MSN to ilifin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
I enjoy picking up my phone at 5am and calling people and calling them a fag and leaving them messages to wake up and QC shit. Being a group leader is glorious.
I thank the power of Taigas twinbraids for that you don't do international calls.

Code:
[22:42:13] <ilifin> you're like a little worrying mom
[22:42:15] <ilifin> <3
[22:43:26] <raspberry> it comes with the job -v-/
[22:43:28] <raspberry> mama koda
[22:43:36] <ilifin> mamaa~n
[22:43:37] <raspberry> koda ane-ue -v-
I think this should give an idea. If not koda, nothing happens. I like being the underling in hobbyprojects on interbutts, IRL-wise I do leader stuff.
ilifin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 09:39   Link #52
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilifin View Post
Code:
[22:42:13] <ilifin> you're like a little worrying mom
[22:42:15] <ilifin> <3
[22:43:26] <raspberry> it comes with the job -v-/
[22:43:28] <raspberry> mama koda
[22:43:36] <ilifin> mamaa~n
[22:43:37] <raspberry> koda ane-ue -v-
I think this should give an idea. If not koda, nothing happens. I like being the underling in hobbyprojects on interbutts, IRL-wise I do leader stuff.
Saying that, it's good that she pushes you all, but you should all be somewhat motivated to a point that if "real life" deals her a low blow and she's gotta go offline, you lot are good enough to keep working in her absence.
Think of it as a nice WB present for her
But if a group is only working cause of the sole person, it's doomed to fail if there's no backup plan to keep it going. One of the hardest things is to gather enough motivation when things are behind or trailing.

*throws a scone at FalseDawn's head*
Quote:
My personal work ethic would be alike the japanese: "work hard, party hard."
Don't be twisting my post to cut and paste sentences that weren't directly linked, berk!
Generally that is the British way, jack all gets done in time, I'm sat here in London freaking out about the Olympics cause nothing seems to be done on time (also look at BA terminal 5 fiasco, need I say more)
Then again I've lived/worked/studied in Japan and I learnt some serious disicipline, lol.
I like how things are done there, so it has become part of my personal work ethic for anything, hobby or not.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 12:28   Link #53
asunder
the ancient biter

I have no interest in being a "Leader".

If time wasn't a factor, my preference would be to do my work (edit/qc/whatever) AND make sure the project goes smoothly. This includes holding the whip, figuring out people's schedules, motivating people, making sure tasks get done, handling releases and generally interacting with the entire staff. Also if any of the staff is sick or injured, I try to diagnose them and tell them the appropriate treatment. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but I play one on IRC.) All of the above responsibilities take up a significant amount of time, but at least things get done and everyone is happy.

In the past, I've just focused on my particular task and let other people (usually the translator) handle the project management. I'd only do this again if I had trust and confidence in the people in charge.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 16:52   Link #54
grunty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
and she's gotta go offline, you lot are good enough to keep working in her absence.
wat? koda away when shes on a project? lol. doesn't happen.
Old 2008-10-03, 19:21   Link #55
Access

Would you agree on the different types of leaders:

The best type is invisible or unknown, the group members either don't recognize their existance or think of them as a 'leader'. When the group members finish a task, they all say 'we did it ourselves'.

The next type is visible and known, came to power by demonstrating ability, generally well liked and only rarely imposes their own will on the group or forces anyone to do anything, is content to simply enable the group members or add positive synergy.

The next type was elected or appointed, and serves to keep things moving forward by acting as a nuetral administrator who only cares to complete the task at hand.

The worst type came to power through politics or backstabbing or controlling a vital interest to the group, and abuses their power for their own sake, at the behest of others, or for their own motives.

(?)
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 15:31   Link #56
Xvoki

I imagine being a leader would be a pain in the ass. All that extra work and very little thanks in return. I take my hat off to them.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 22:54   Link #57
Teppei
Lost in the Vortex

Personally, I do fansubbing as a hobby, and have no interest in being part of some imaginary corporate-like hierarchy while doing it. I would have thought more people would be of the same opinion.
Teppei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:44   Link #58
evilr00t
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppei View Post
Personally, I do fansubbing as a hobby, and have no interest in being part of some imaginary corporate-like hierarchy while doing it. I would have thought more people would be of the same opinion.
Same here, I'm subbing shows that I love, with no obligation to continue or release in any timeframe.
evilr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:51   Link #59
DryFire
Panda Herder

It's not so much hierarchy as it is someone making sure stuff gets done,everyone does their job and that there are replacements available.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:02   Link #60
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

I thought the whole fansubbing process was completely opposite. All this time, I thought it was a band of people who liked an anime and just wanted to spread whatever they are a fan of to the general mass. Basically everyone just does the part they can and be proud of what they release. It seemed more like a "social" thing to me as far as fansub groups go.

Drama between fansubbers still baffles me today.

Tags
group dynamics, leadership