Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-19, 15:35   Link #261
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Are you sure it's anime original? Because when I saw the preview, my immediate thought was that it was the one with the party where the youkai are celebrating Natsume, getting royally drunk, and playing various games. I looked the chapter up. The one I'm thinking of is special episode #1 Natsume's Book of Games from volume 7.
Yeah you're right. I really need to re-read the volumes i buy.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:38   Link #262
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I noticed this in the manga too, but for this season in particular, Reiko and the Book of Friends have really been reduced to plot points. Even Nyanko hasn't been doing much as the secondary main character to the point that he's almost a convenient Deus Ex Machina.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 15:39   Link #263
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I noticed this in the manga too, but for this season in particular, Reiko and the Book of Friends have really been reduced to plot points.
Reiko and the Book of Friends were never the main factor of the story, so i don't see why they should be focused on that much. At the end of the day it just plays a part on Natsume's development, which is basically the key point of the story.
Old 2011-09-19, 16:38   Link #264
LKK

I've seen other people commenting that they were disappointed at the diminishing role of Reiko and the name returns. I guess how you feel about this season depends on where your interest lies. Like Shiroth, I'm mostly interested in Natusme's development and how he's uniting his 2 worlds. But others want to know more about Reiko and to watch the various youkai get their names back, so I can see why they would be less enchanted by this season compared to previous ones.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 18:12   Link #265
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the direction this series is going. But I still have to laugh at how an anime called Natsume's Book of Friends doesn't have much of the Book of Friends. It's like the movie, Ken Park (ugh).

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 18:25   Link #266
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Don't get me wrong. I actually like the direction this series is going. But I still have to laugh at how an anime called Natsume's Book of Friends doesn't have much of the Book of Friends. It's like the movie, Ken Park (ugh).
On the other hand, I could make this argument. Because the series is called Natsume's Book of Friends and not Reiko's Book of Friends, we are witnessing the story of a once lonely and alone boy who builds his own book of friends, albeit a metaphorical one, as he gathers around him people -- human and youkai -- who will stand with him and for him in times of trouble and of celebration.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2011-09-19, 19:47   Link #267
Kirarakim

Can I just say SQUEEE. This was an absolutely perfect episode. You know I never thought about Natsume's foster parents being lonely without kids in the house. But they must have been. I love the concept of Touko and Shigeru saving Natsume...but he gave something back to them as well.

And I loved the Youkai in this one. The concept just really worked well for this show.

Anyways this is definitely a favorite of the series along with episode 3 and 4. But overall I wouldn't say this season had as many strong episodes. But episodes like this are why I love this show.

Additionally like Shiroth and LKK, Natsume's development is my favorite part of the series.

Quote:
Nice to see how Natsume met with his current guardians, though I too wonder why they got a sudden interest in him. If he was still a 5-year old kid, I could see it, but he's practically an adult already by the time they took him in.
Well it could be when Natsume was younger they were trying to have their own kids but it never worked out. Now they probably realized they can never have kids but they know there is a kid out there who needs a home.

I can't see Touko and Shigeru be the types to care about his age.

edit: Tworble you are right about the 1st series starting in 2008. And I could have sworn it was 2007.

And I guess the final episode is not a filler. But it still doesn't look like my type of story. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-09-19 at 20:01.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 21:31   Link #268
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Because the series is called Natsume's Book of Friends and not Reiko's Book of Friends, we are witnessing the story of a once lonely and alone boy who builds his own book of friends, albeit a metaphorical one, as he gathers around him people -- human and youkai -- who will stand with him and for him in times of trouble and of celebration.
Oooh, I like that! I should get you to write the promo materials when my next book comes out.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 21:34   Link #269
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Oooh, I like that! I should get you to write the promo materials when my next book comes out.
You should know that I charge exorbitant rates for quality PR blurbs.

Old 2011-09-19, 21:58   Link #270
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This season certainly has had a lot more focus on Natsume's past and helping to show the contrast with who he's developed into. Though at the same time I have missed the flashbacks with Reiko. It definitely is more about Natsume, but think it'd have been nice to throw some more episodes that touched on her a bit.

Though really I think the biggest shot against this third season is that ED. Just doesn't have the same level of appeal the first two had

Spoiler for Ep12:
Old 2011-09-19, 22:35   Link #271
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Since Shiro kindly told me that my absolute favourite story from the manga is animated in ep 12, I skidded over to that epi in absolute fangirling squee. Blame RL for keeping me on ep 6.;;
Spoiler for Episode 12 rant:
Tl;dr of long ass rant: Favourite episode for being able to animate something that I adore to death and not making me criticize it et al. And the Fujiwaras are awesome. (/bias). I really like how the shuffling of the episodes put this into ep. 12; it makes a very nice before-closing-the-season episode, very much expecting it by the way

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 22:52   Link #272
HandofFate

Quote:
On the other hand, I could make this argument. Because the series is called Natsume's Book of Friends and not Reiko's Book of Friends, we are witnessing the story of a once lonely and alone boy who builds his own book of friends, albeit a metaphorical one, as he gathers around him people -- human and youkai -- who will stand with him and for him in times of trouble and of celebration.
Both Reiko and Takeshi are both Natsume though lol.

Just that Takeshi doesn't have many close friends that use his first name. Even Nyanko calls him by his 'family' name. XD
Old 2011-09-19, 22:54   Link #273
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I guess I was the only one who felt sort of sorry for that youkai, eh?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 00:37   Link #274
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I guess I was the only one who felt sort of sorry for that youkai, eh?
I did too a bit.
It was a very youkai-like youkai. And it had very youkai like intentions. It's feelings were just incompatible with the feelings of humans.

And he did seal it just after it gave him an offer to live with it. I'd be annoyed too if I were it.
Old 2011-09-20, 00:43   Link #275
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
I did too a bit.
It was a very youkai-like youkai. And it had very youkai like intentions. It's feelings were just incompatible with the feelings of humans.

And he did seal it just after it gave him an offer to live with it. I'd be annoyed too if I were it.
I guess it seemed to me that she was basically offering to adopt Natsume as a "pet" because she was lonely. Obviously a terrible idea and he had reason to be afraid of her, but things do seem more antagonistic between the human and youkai worlds this season.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 03:44   Link #276
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Natsuki has posted in the thread. All is good in the world.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:10   Link #277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've also always been curious to find out how Natsume ended up living with the Fujiwaras, so I was very pleased with this episode. In fact, I loved it. Natsume always blaming himself before others and saying he doesn't want to cause trouble the people who are supposed to care of him never fails to pull on my heartstrings. It's admirable he's managed to remain so kind after being secluded for so many years.

I liked how he thought Touko was a youkai when he first met her. If I didn't already know her, I would have been very suspicious too. I mean, a "distant relative" suddenly showing up after years to actually offer to take him in? Sounds totally legit

This episode somehow raised more questions than it answered. How did the Fujiwaras find out about Natsume's situation? Why did they learn about him so late? If only they had known sooner... ah well, doesn't really matter. They eventually found him and it's all that counts.

Now, the other piece of backstory I'm dying to see is Reiko and Madara's meeting. I really want to know what kind of relationship those two had. I suppose I'll have to wait a few more years...

I do wish Reiko could have had more screentime in this season, but I agree the series is first and foremost about Natsume's development, so I can't I'm disappointed in the least in this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Tl;dr of long ass rant: Favourite episode for being able to animate something that I adore to death and not making me criticize it et al. And the Fujiwaras are awesome. (/bias). I really like how the shuffling of the episodes put this into ep. 12; it makes a very nice before-closing-the-season episode, very much expecting it by the way
Bias? It's a fact the Fujiwaras are awesome

And Touko-san is the most moe old lady ever. Everytime she talks, I just (*´▽`*)
Old 2011-09-20, 04:42   Link #278
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How did the Fujiwaras find out about Natsume's situation?
Speculation back when this chapter was released was along the lines of they've known for a little while, though only just brought up the courage to go speak with him. It's understandable if that was true.
Old 2011-09-20, 08:34   Link #279
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Speculation back when this chapter was released was along the lines of they've known for a little while, though only just brought up the courage to go speak with him. It's understandable if that was true.
I also thought that this was probably the closest Natsume has ever lived to them, Touko said in this episode that they lived way out in the country after all (plus, if they're distant relatives they might have been out of the loop about what was going on with Natsume until recently as well).
Anyway, outstanding episode and, even though I knew the ending (technically we all did) it still pulled on my heartstrings to see Natsume wondering if this was a real offer to go live somewhere else or yet another yokai messing with him. I am a little sad they cut out a few scenes with his foster family which showed that they were a nice family, they just didn't know how to deal with Natsume but he also didn't seem to resent them for that.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:50   Link #280
blewin

wow, never expected an anime episode to shed light on Natsume's first meeting with the Fujiwara (which is NOT in the manga!!)

a very nice and warm episode. Really, it's about time we find out more about Natsume's past (other than his youkai experience).

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote