AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-06-26, 08:28   Link #53801
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Tch... Like I said before, Ichika is a VN protagonist, not a LN like Tatsuya or Kirito - the amnesia self of him in Ignition Heart fits perfectly to your description.

Not like I care. For a full AU writer like me, staying in character is the least of concern.

Beside, it gives rise to the OC wave.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 08:52   Link #53802
Eratas123

Too bad most OC's aren't much better, most of them being 'Ichika but better!' and being characterized by doing badass things while showing up Ichika. Anybody here have any recommendations for OC's?
Old 2014-06-26, 09:07   Link #53803
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Well...we could always kidnap Kirito and put him in IS, see how that works out and how many fans of SAO and IS will be p$$%# off at us for doing that...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 09:10   Link #53804
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
Personally, Hawke, you, Stratospear... basically those whose OC who fit in right in the canon ensemble without sticking like sore thumb.

Demi and Jak is a bit... weird, but they can use adjustment (and hilariously I could see Jak's character running around in the background, considering his OCD for canon accuracy)

Those are examples of the stories I read myself, so I can't vouch for everyone else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Well...we could always kidnap Kirito and put him in IS, see how that works out and how many fans of SAO and IS will be p$$%# off at us for doing that...
You're implying 'Kirito' stealing the harem wouldn't make both fandom happy.
Old 2014-06-26, 09:25   Link #53805
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, Asuna is, and will forever be the most paired up with Kirito.

Funny. The whole "OC-Ichika" comparison reminded me of the era before badass VN protagonist. Then came Yagami (Kaze no Stigma) and Layfon (Chrome Shelled Regios).
Old 2014-06-26, 09:32   Link #53806
Eratas123

I don't think I can count considering the fic with the most OC's I have (Future Imperfect) have said OC's being nothing but carbon copies of their parents, though being kids this is excusable in most fandoms. The only ones who don't copy paste from their parents are Saito and Kazuma, and their characters can be summed up with 'Really depressed despite being kids'.

Nah, the problem here is that you can make OC's just fine.....except trying to make a balanced OC that's more than a side-character inevitably falls flat because the story keeps focusing on the IS pilots so you're in Morton's Fork: Have a non-IS user male and he sticks out like a sore thumb if he's a main character since he has no reason to be in ISA. If he is a male pilot then you're going to get accusations of creating a Gary Stu for wish fulfillment.

Nowadays I stick to OC's being side-characters at best while trying to give Ichika some personality more than 'generic harem lead #09887'.
Old 2014-06-26, 09:40   Link #53807
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Full AU is always a choice.

Really, I admire Stratos. How he able to calculate how to handle everything logically is a mystery to me. Writing Infinitus Potentia, so many things I want to squeeze in, to the point I don't recognize whether is it a real robot or a mix between Puella, Black Lagoon and Pretty Cure.
Old 2014-06-26, 09:45   Link #53808
Eratas123

Well there was that one fic from 'Person with many aliases' titled 'The Sky is no limit'. Very well written and I enjoyed the characterization of the cast.
Old 2014-06-26, 09:51   Link #53809
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Oh, I almost forgot, one of my favorite.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8298654...er-Dislocation
The writing started rather weird (mainly bad pacing), but gradually get better.
Old 2014-06-26, 10:07   Link #53810
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hmm... Maybe it's time to put the true definition of Fanfic ("An expansion or re-imagination of source material") into motion.
Old 2014-06-26, 10:14   Link #53811
Eratas123

Any good romance fics? I'm tired of reading about depressing crap or overtly techno babble.
Old 2014-06-26, 10:22   Link #53812
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Romance is the last thing you should ask for in IS. Go to Kami Nomi fandom.

Could you make a harem without comedy? Or even simply focused romance on one heroine, but the protagonist still end up with concubines?
Old 2014-06-26, 10:26   Link #53813
Eratas123

Fine, romance or comedy. Doesn't matter.
Old 2014-06-26, 10:32   Link #53814
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, there is that "Unexpected" which consist of multiplies "route". Kind of shody, though.
Old 2014-06-26, 10:49   Link #53815
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras

You want quality 'OC'? Read AMT's quest instead, unabashed power trip as it is it has actual plot and it's characters were fleshed out
Old 2014-06-26, 16:55   Link #53816
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Hnnn...
Quote:
That day... I hate that day.

Even as I see Nee-chan off at the airport, my mind is made up. I will not let myself become the 'weakness' that others use against Chifuyu-nee.

She's always said that the Orimura were strong, both mentally and physically. Certainly she fits that more than anyone I know. So why - why am I the one who's so weak in comparison?

She turns around before she enters the gate - I think she knows what's going on in my head - she normally does. I hope she'll be surprised when she comes back. Even if guys can't use the IS, that doesn't mean that we're helpless. No, I'll follow my sister's example and become as strong as I can.

###

"O-Orimura...?"

He stood up, back straight, feet together. Unknown to him, a certain raven-haired woman was outside the door, looking into the class, her curiosity getting the better of her. What sort of statement will he make?

"Hai, sensei!" He turned around in his seat to face the majority of the class. "My name is Orimura Ichika and I'll be studying alongside you ladies for the next year. My goal is to become strong enough to compete in the Mondo Grosso before my term is up here at the Academy. I intend to bring home the title of 'Strongest' to Japan and my family once again. Onegai-shimasu!" To say that the girls were stunned was a bit of an understatement. While prevalent in today's new society, the doctrine of 'female superiority' wasn't a universally acknowledged truth just yet but women had become much more assertive in life in general. For any kind of guy to make a statement like this - he must be very brave and fool-hardy, or just plain foolish. Still, there was just something about him that sent quite a few female hearts a flutter in hearing his words.

Chifuyu smiled, the feeling of pride within her chest swelling up so much she felt almost giddy. "That's my little brother for ya," she whispered fondly, schooling her features before opening the door and disturbing the fawning females in gushing over her brother. "Well spoken, Ichika. I'll see to it that you get there IF you can keep up with the class." She stood, arms folded, legs slightly apart at the front of the class, looking right at him. Her presence, just after such words were spoken only added to the awe-inspiring scene in front of the girls, who had in this new era, had little contact with men who could still talk like that, or even with women who could dominate a room as she did.

The young man turned to face her as well. "Hai, sen-" His eyes bugged out. "-nee!? What's Chifuyu-nee doing here!?"

*PAM*

"That's 'Orimura-sensei' to you, idiot. Remember this or die."

"Ha- Hai..."
Yay? Nay?

Although, the more I think about it, I believe this is how most of the 'altered Ichikas' began in the first place.

This track-record isn't good, considering what ended up happening to most of them.

Last edited by Tempest35; 2014-06-26 at 17:10.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 19:16   Link #53817
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yay, arguably as long as you kept him in character, you won't get nothing but 'stronger' Ichika. As a person, he still have lot of room to fix and grow no matter how strong and skilled he is at the start of story.
Old 2014-06-26, 19:40   Link #53818
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Or, as how many time I said before, remove IS from the equation. What Ichika needs is not the attention, but the tranquility to fully dedicate himself to training.

Really, while IS is truly the strongest, that doesn't mean there are things that close it.
Old 2014-06-26, 21:06   Link #53819
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Yeah, but ending up with Ichika just being better in a fight isn't a good reason to alter how he is right now. Granted, I got my own ideas on how Ichika should act but every time you added something to one area, another area has to lose something in return - this is what makes a character 'believable'.

I do see Ichika training to be stronger in Kendo and also kenjitsu. However, he's not going to be super competent. But at the level I envision him at... he might beat Cecilia right off the bat. Also, Chifuyu is going to have more of a guiding hand with him as well - she won't be able to just ignore him thanks to what he wants to do and how he wants to achieve it. He'll turn out more driven to fight and win and that might get him into trouble in the beginning but he might mellow out later. Charl has that affect on people.
Old 2014-06-26, 21:26   Link #53820
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Point out: How many truly care about that axiom of "you have something, you lost something"?

Eratas brought up a good point about "OC is Ichika, but better". I could see a few reason why:

- Romance wise, it's believed that only the "template" that Ichika belong to is the most effective in making Charlotte, Laura or Tatenashi falls in love with (maybe even all three of them. Haremmm...)

- Character development wise, there is only two route (for most): Either a dark, egotist militaryman, or an ordinary guy who got dragged into this mess.

(Actually, some has tried to combine both of the above.)

-> In short, they don't want to see a war. They aren't the one truly hope for explosive action (which more than half of us here wish for). The girl is the foremost, with the machine follow.

It's suck to see good OC writers like Stratos get ignored, while mediocre ones (plot wise, artistic wise,... Including me) received so many attention because we simply "stick to Ichika". We have to ask Who made it like this?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest