1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-19, 11:45   Link #201
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to the manga:
Spoiler for Reply to comparison:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-19 at 13:01.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:45   Link #202
Jun pls

Ah, the cencorship is quite sad, actually. And the only thing I'm currently disappointed about the anime.
I'm hoping for an uncut blu-ray (which, please, will be available in Europe later as well, then )
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:45   Link #203
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Its the only thing we can really discuss with out giving spoilers. Every little thing in this series leads to a spoiler I am starting to wish I never read the manga so I could speculate on theories or whats going to happen next and chip in this is suffering for me T_T.
Thank god I’m a non-manga reader, so I can speculate all I want ;P. Though I was accidentally spoiled a bit by a certain newspaper column regarding a certain thing in this episode and most probably the next .

Btw, I hope Connie Springer survive this attacks. I kinda like his character, and his bald head .
Old 2013-05-19, 11:47   Link #204
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
I rather have a flawed main character than a mary sue
(and yes, she is a mary sue and you all know it)

Spoiler for And inb4 "Mikasa is not a mary sue buhuhuuu":
Being exceptionally talented does not make someone an automatic Mary Sue, and if you throw a stone in Attack on Titan, odds aren't bad that you're going to hit somebody with a tragic past, due to the broken wall and the scouting legion's tendency to get eaten. Eren and Armin have pretty tragic pasts as well - remember Eren seeing his mother get eaten? It's also not as if Mikasa has been showered with extreme adoration in the series so far (in the fandom, that's a different matter).

I would really like it if people weren't saying that the only reason people don't hate Mikasa is her having boobs.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:48   Link #205
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
Well we see blood and Eren got his leg and arm off so trust me when I call this "semi"...I have seen worse.

But thx for the clarification.
It could be hunter x hunter 2011 censored.

Just prey for uncut blu ray version that is all.
Old 2013-05-19, 11:49   Link #206
Raviel

As as manga reader I have to say this episode was almost better than it's manga counterpart, my only complaint is that insert song after everyone decided to follow Mikasa felt REALLY out of place considering they were doing what amounted to a suicide rush to their HQ.

I also really like how they handled everything with Mikasa in this ep, giving her non-lifeless eyes really helped to add to the overall impact of her scenes.

P.S. I think you can say an episode is handled well when it actually makes you feel sorry for a Titan, I couldn't help but flinch when that poor Titan was getting stomped on by the abnormal.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:54   Link #207
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Well we see blood and Eren got his leg and arm off so trust me when I call this "semi"...I have seen worse.

But thx for the clarification.
You know the titan's head the Renegade Titan sent flying into the building?

Spoiler for Manga Comparison (no spoilers):
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:56   Link #208
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
It's also not as if Mikasa has been showered with extreme adoration in the series so far (in the fandom, that's a different matter).

I would really like it if people weren't saying that the only reason people don't hate Mikasa is her having boobs.
I only quote this since you might be right with the rest, but yeaaaaah, Jean didn't instantly fall in love with her at first sight
But yes, you're right that the fandom is probably the one that adores her the most.

And I would really like it if it wouldn't be needed for me to say that, but people tend to act that way with their hatred towards Eren when Mikasa is doing similar (or the same) things and gets praised for it because she's Mikasa
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:03   Link #209
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
You know the titan's head the Renegade Titan sent flying into the building?

Spoiler for Manga Comparison (no spoilers):

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-19 at 12:56. Reason: please use spoiler tags when discussing the manga
Old 2013-05-19, 12:08   Link #210
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I only quote this since you might be right with the rest, but yeaaaaah, Jean didn't instantly fall in love with her at first sight
That's just one guy falling for a very pretty girl. And what did his adoration do except fuel his rivalry with Eren and make him just a tad nicer to her than to others? It's less than, say, Sasha's adoration of Christa for bringing her food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
Finally I'm able to see this episode is great, Mikasa did break-down when she know Eren death, doesn't matter how strong she is, she also has a heart and AFAIK her heart filled with Eren, So I bet she confuse how to deal with it when she knew Eren not with her anymore, but luckily Eren words still has it place in her heart, that's make her survive with the help of Titan.

I bit confuse, why did Mikasa tell everyone to fight, if she in first place doesn't really care about them, I mean she just want to fight until she's dead. She doesn't want become a leader, she just motivate everyone and go on her own, it's Jean who order the other to follow Mikasa.
She didn't particularly want anything. She was practically on auto-pilot, so she didn't think too deeply about what she was doing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:09   Link #211
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Well thx. The first time I really got suspicious was episode 6 when Hanna gave mouth to mouth breathing to Franz. After re-watching that scene it still didn't add up, but now I have a pretty good idea what was "missing" (not just literally) in that scene.

Sad to hear they don't respect the source material enough to appeal to a wider audience.
If you make a scene incredibly violent you will scare part of the audience and the series could be moved to a bad time. Even Gantz had to censore some parts when it first aired.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:10   Link #212
JamJackEvo

Quote:
What I liked

Okay so now that I cleared my mindset about what sort of tone the anime is trying to achieve I have to say I really liked this episode. The commander abandoning his subordinates, soldier shooting himself, Jean and the others just standing there and watching their comrades die...etc...

Emotions nailed perfectly both on a personal and "global" scale.

What I disliked

It sorta bugged me that Reiner's team didn't know anything about Eren and the others while Armin was sitting right NEXT TO THEM.

So far I didn't notice but its clear to me now that they are using some sort of semi-censorship. I hate pointless gore but this is the type of anime where some bloody scene wouldn't be considered wrong.

On the other hand this also can be beneficial. I really would like to know how it was done in the manga but the scene where the girl got eaten and the camera was showing the others while she was crying turned out to be perfect. Sometimes the less you show the more you say.

BUT this sort of approach might backfire in the future so I wouldn't mind some sort of mix (which obviously won't happen).

It's most likely a combination of marketing and TV people insisting censorship.

Marketing, because the Blu-Ray edition will be totally uncensored, so one must buy it to see everything.

Last edited by JamJackEvo; 2013-05-19 at 12:12. Reason: Put wrong quote
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:11   Link #213
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
If you make a scene incredibly violent you will scare part of the audience and the series could be moved to a bad time.
My original post
Old 2013-05-19, 12:18   Link #214
zalem

Quote:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-19 at 12:57.
zalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:26   Link #215
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
But yes, you're right that the fandom is probably the one that adores her the most.

And I would really like it if it wouldn't be needed for me to say that, but people tend to act that way with their hatred towards Eren when Mikasa is doing similar (or the same) things and gets praised for it because she's Mikasa
And who can blame him! But yeah, I think Sueishness is more for characters who can't go anywhere without people falling at their feet for no apparent reason. One guy being attracted to her straight away is not something I'd count in that category. Mikasa has undeniably acquired a vast internet harem, though.

I'm more used to the other situation, where a girl and a guy do the same things in a series, and people say the guy is a perfect, precious darling who can do no wrong and how dare anyone say otherwise, whereas the girl is a useless weakling and Mary Sue who needs a swift death. But yeah, it does happen the other way as well sometimes.

Mikasa's more the stoic-appearing type, so I think that can make it easier for people to like her, as her flaws are things that are going on beneath the surface a lot of the time. Usually it's teary or emotionally expressive heroines who get unfairly character bashed. Eren, on the other hand, had more obvious issues right from the first episode. Though really I didn't think he was an extremely disliked character anyway.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:27   Link #216
Destined_Fate

So I was right about her BSOD and her desire to die if anything bad, like death, happened to Eren. Even though she wanted to die her body acted on its own which confused her. Than she remembers Eren's words.

So once again even in death Eren gives her life meaning!

And yay, other Titan saved Mikasa just as she was about to take out a Titan with a broken rusty butter knife! What a twist!

Man, that Titan is so fit and well toned compared to the others! I wonder if it lifts!

Feel bad for Armin though as she apparently doesn't seem in as family like Eren since she was prepared to die because no more Eren.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:38   Link #217
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

this episode, oh my lord. Titan-on-Titan violence is FUCKIN CRAZY HOLY MOTHER OF GAWWDDD. You can really feel the amount of power being exerted in each blow that Titan is dealing out.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 12:45   Link #218
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

As Predicted, people are trying to make light of Mikasa's suicide charge, despite it being even worse then what Eren did in much poorer circumstances.

I have already made a post pointing out the differences much earlier in the thread, but some people don't seem to realize (or want to acknowledge) that Mikasa's actions were no different from Eren's, a very intentional parallel.

Eren's group was just in a far worse scenario then Mikasa's (much larger and more competent) group. They had been surrounded by a large group of titans, far larger then anything even Mikasa has faced all at once so far. The only person who reacted properly to the situation was Eren, everyone else froze completely and ended up lagging behind their leader.

People who claim Eren charges recklessly ahead don't realize he was doing the correct thing in attacking a Titan with its back turned, it just so happened the front-line had completely collapsed already (knowledge none of them had), and several Titan's had gotten close to them due to the cover of the buildings, so they got ambushed and destroyed. Being "careful" in this situation would have done exactly nothing, they had already been surrounded.

Note that Mikasa is constantly charging ahead of the entire group she just rallied, by a significant margin considering how long it took for Arwin to even catch up with her. She was even more reckless then Eren in that she didn't even have a target in mind, she just blitzed ahead and killed anything that entered her sight.

If the situations were reversed, I'm quite positive Mikasa would be dead, and Eren would have rallied the entire demoralized lot of them. Circumstances favored Mikasa (like the fan base), and that is the only reason she is even alive.
Old 2013-05-19, 12:47   Link #219
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

simple, Eren just need to grow a pair of boobs
Old 2013-05-19, 12:52   Link #220
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
What I disliked

It sorta bugged me that Reiner's team didn't know anything about Eren and the others while Armin was sitting right NEXT TO THEM.
Just point this out, Connie did back in Ep 6 but Armin wasn't in the mood to answer him. It's most likely the same case with others, until Mikasa spoke to him.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote