AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-17, 16:53   Link #1
Shenlong

Hime-chan's Ribbon

Its good to see this old shoujomagical girl series subbed, now I can replace my old vhs tapes.

This show is about a "genki" and outgoing tomboy named Hime-chan who recieves a magical ribbon which allows her to change her appearence into whoever she wants and makes her little stuffed tiger come to life. She sets out to help the people around her with the ribbon and of course her plans all go awry It is a very fun light series with a few serious moments about a girl who is growing up and is definitly worth checking out.
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 17:31   Link #2
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

I didn't download it myself, but I've been told it's just the old good VHS caps. Can anyone confirm?
roxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 17:43   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxfan
I didn't download it myself, but I've been told it's just the old good VHS caps. Can anyone confirm?
As far as I can see, it's the old Tomodachi fansub. The video tapes of this show I have are recorded from laser disc and I suspect the laser discs were also used to produce this new digisub, that would explain why the quality isn't so bad. Since the resolution is small (it's only 320 x 240) compared to most digisub nowadays (640 x 480), the resulting file size is a lot smaller of course.

But even watching it full screen (1280 x 1024) the quality is not so bad, certainly a lot better than I expected and well worth downloading and watching.

Last edited by xris; 2004-02-17 at 18:06. Reason: Updated comments
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 17:52   Link #4
kuru

Hime-chan's Ribbon is a great series. I have it all on SVHS, directly from Tomodachi (that used digital masters when Hime-chan was worked meaning my tapes are virtually masters) but I'll download it anyway.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 20:02   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

Oh? It's better quality? I'm glad to hear that because I have old .asf and .rm copies of Hime-chan no Ribbon, and I was hoping to replace them with better quality ones. BT doesn't work for me, though, so I'm going to have to wait till whoever put it up gets an irc channel or the file starts to show up on irc. I've always liked Hime-chan no Ribbon. It's a bit bland, but still quite enjoyable.
Old 2004-02-17, 20:15   Link #6
Honkie_McGee

Cool, I'm glad to see someone posting this series. I was downloading Hime-chan from a website that sadly died last fall. I was lucky enough to get all the episodes... except episode 54. So I'll be waiting patiently for that one to be released.
Honkie_McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 16:11   Link #7
Rebochan
Clubbing

Here's another one that's before my time that I wanted to see. Now I just need more Miracle Girls and I'll be in classic shoujo heaven!
Rebochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 17:33   Link #8
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
This is one of my favorite series of all time. ^^ But there's a lot of episodes I couldn't see because they weren't released, [ or because the links were broken :P ] so I'm very glad that someone is fansubbing them and releasing them here. ^^
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:04   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

I notice Solar & Genbu have released ep 1 of Hime-chan no Ribbon. Anyone checked it out? How's the quality?
Old 2004-02-25, 18:08   Link #10
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

It's 640x480 LD rip (there were no DVDs as you might know), XVID (but tagged DIVX), MKV soft-subbed, English/Russian subs.
Hope you'll like it ^^.
Old 2004-02-28, 01:25   Link #11
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I love Hime-chan's Ribbon, I'd love to be able to replace my aging VHS tapes...unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's possible to play back .mkv files on a Mac Aaaarrrgghh...I guess I'll wait and hope a DIVX or XVID version shows up on BT...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 09:28   Link #12
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
I love Hime-chan's Ribbon, I'd love to be able to replace my aging VHS tapes...unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's possible to play back .mkv files on a Mac
VLC can play Matroska:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
I think mplayer should also play it, though I can't find a quote on that.
http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/
Old 2004-02-28, 15:40   Link #13
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

I can't believe somebody is actually releasing Hime-chan! I'm so happy~ I saw all of Hime-chan's Ribbon in horrible .rm format a few years back and wasn't too thrilled with the quality so I was gonna give up on it. I'm glad I didn't though; this has become one of my all time favorite shoujo anime.

btw, I see Hime-chan was also released in .mkv format. Does anyone know what media players support that? My WMP used to be able to, but something happened to it and now everytime I open a video file in the media player it gives me an error message and has to close.
Lyreleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 15:42   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I have the same issue and unfortunately have yet to be able to watch it.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 19:13   Link #15
AnimeFangirl

That's the exact same thing that happened to me last time I installed the matroska codec. Once I uninstalled it and restarted the machine, things went back to normal. Needless to say, I was not amused. This time round I've downloaded episode 1 but I'm not quite ready to have my Media Player messed up for me so I'm waiting to watch it.
Old 2004-02-28, 22:08   Link #16
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxfan
VLC can play Matroska:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
I think mplayer should also play it, though I can't find a quote on that.
http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/
VLC will play the video back, but any subtitles longer than one line long (which is almost all of them) print all lines on top of each other, making them unreadable--and with VLC 0.6.2, 0.7.0, or 0.7.1 pre-release, changing the preference for the text renderer font size has no effect. Mplayer OSX on the other hand, will play the video fine but can't play the subs at all. Aaaargh...maybe someday a more final version of VLC will handle it, but until then it looks like I'm screwed. The video quality looks great, much better than my VHS copies--it just looks like mkv isn't quite there on the Mac yet.

Correction: Mplayer OSX will do subtitles--but not the ones this particular fansub is using :

Playing /Volumes/nara/Hime-chan no Ribon - 01 [Solar-Genbu] (En_Ru).mkv
[mkv] Subtitle type 'S_TEXT/SSA' is not supported. Track will not be displayed.

Last edited by suguru; 2004-02-28 at 23:07.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 22:55   Link #17
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

For those who want to play mkv in Windows, this thing seems to work most of the time:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022...mkvinst_b3.exe
You can also visit this page for more advices:
http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/mkv
or read "playback help" section on these forums.
Old 2004-02-29, 09:12   Link #18
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
Correction: Mplayer OSX will do subtitles--but not the ones this particular fansub is using :
Playing /Volumes/nara/Hime-chan no Ribon - 01 [Solar-Genbu] (En_Ru).mkv
[mkv] Subtitle type 'S_TEXT/SSA' is not supported. Track will not be displayed.
Hmm, here's what people said to me in #mastroska:
Quote:
<alley_cat> roxfan: the beta 6 binary of osx mplayer should work, unless it wasn't done from a current cvs checkout
Sorry to give you such trouble... we just didn't want to reencode it to not lose the quality and reduce the number of qc/reencode steps ^_^;
You can always demux it with mkvtoolnix, convert to avi/whatever and load subtitles separately...
Old 2004-04-14, 18:13   Link #19
Casshern

Hope it's ok to revive this old thread...

Does anyone know if the rest of the Hime-chan will continue to be distributed on BT? Can someone also provide a link to the bittorent site that was distributing the tomodachi version?
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:03   Link #20
ubb

I never watched the vhs tape, I only saw several chapters of manga on a monthly magazine in HK, even though it was only two chapters, it's enough for me to anticipate watching the anime version of this series.
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl