AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 33 44.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 29.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-12, 20:54   Link #61
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Great episode helped clear a few things up. I am still a bit confused about Mei being switched (need to re-watch that I think...). Can't wait for more shit to go down next week!

Also can people not o predictions here ^-^" just have them in spoiler tags. Some people made predictions in the steins; gate forum and ruined a couple things.
Old 2012-03-12, 21:58   Link #62
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was fantastic. Oh man. The sound direction really makes this show.

Izumi is totally jealous of Mei.

And damnit Teshigawa! You keep ruining the moment!

However, I'm sad to hear that the Another needs to die to end it. It's going to be one of our main characters and they are all so fun. Not to mention who I think is the Another is the last person I want to see die.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:18   Link #63
Soul Strike
Lurker

After watching this ep. I got the image where Mei will now have to be class 3's ghost buster for the rest of her life. Every year she's going to have to stake out the school and watch for the dead student then plan an ambush to kill said student. I bet she's thinking fml.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:35   Link #64
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Naw, she is the dead student and she's just tying to save her own hide. Selfish bitch!

Kidding. Her Mystic Doll Eye of Death Perception® is a bit of a stretch now that I think about it. It's just... too convenient, which makes me question it at the same time. Things are never what they seem with this series.

If this get's an R1 release, I'm getting it.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:44   Link #65
Thousand Mistress
Glory to the Wind!

Send a message via Yahoo to Thousand Mistress
Overall, quite a heart-stopping ep. If only Teshi did not interrupt Mei telling the truth already, for heaven's sake.

Okay srsly guys, I wanna ask this...who died this time? There seems to be a confusion.

Here's a pic:

Spoiler for Person who died this ep:
Old 2012-03-12, 23:21   Link #66
PKlove

Send a message via MSN to PKlove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousand Mistress View Post
Okay srsly guys, I wanna ask this...who died this time? There seems to be a confusion.

Here's a pic:

Spoiler for Person who died this ep:
Spoiler for Who might have died maybe:
Old 2012-03-12, 23:27   Link #67
Thousand Mistress
Glory to the Wind!

Send a message via Yahoo to Thousand Mistress
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKlove View Post
Spoiler for Who might have died maybe:
Now there's one possibility /aha.jpg
But I also do think that Tomohiko and Teshi had a fight...seeing Teshi quite guilty and fearful that he may have done something horrible...

If only those trees were not covering the face of the body, we would have made things clear and answered....

...I said to myself I won't jump to conclusions, but man I can't even control myself anymore... DX
Old 2012-03-12, 23:56   Link #68
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

A little late to the Episode 10 party, but I finally had a chance to check it out. In bed, with the lights out even!

Spoiler for Just in case:

Damn cliffhangers!

Endless "NONONO" Soul
Old 2012-03-13, 00:01   Link #69
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

It is impossible for that guy to be the another since we still haven't had the falling chandelier (which they clearly made the effort in making it stand out when they entered the lodge) from the OP.

Also I can't help it but think that there might be another reason as to why Izumi decided to blame Mei in front of the class. If you think about it it's confusing how they somewhat got along with each other but suddenly she decides to confront her while everyone is present.

As for the dead guy (assuming he's dead), it's probably the one with glasses (can't remember his name). They showed him walking up the stairs and Mochizuki on the bed right afterwards. It would be very strange for him to suddenly get involved with the other guy (~brown hair) when he had absolutely zero connection with the main cast so far.

Also I'm seriously considering watching the last two episodes together ....... but maybe the wait will get the better of me ;_;

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2012-03-13 at 00:19.
Old 2012-03-13, 00:41   Link #70
Unknown Soldier
:D

The amount of Mei zettai ryouiki fanservice in this episode was breathtaking. Literally every other shot while she was talking this episode focused on her upper legs area. Shaft would be proud.

I approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Misaki is a weirdo. So she knows who it is and doesnt bother to say a thing??? Especially after listening to the tape?
She did say something, but only to Kouichi. That's why she wanted to meet Kouichi alone in her room. She doesn't trust the others to not immediately haul off with the nearest sharp object they can find and stab the Another to death the moment they found out who it is. Judging from what happened at the end of the episode, Stupid Jock already has started hunting for the Another, only to realize after it's too late that he killed the wrong person.

Quote:
Whats the big deal with killing the dead student, if he/she actually is dead anyways?
The dead person doesn't know they are dead. So you would effectively be murdering another innocent person in cold blood, because even though technically they are already dead, they believe they are alive!
Old 2012-03-13, 00:55   Link #71
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Ow, Akazawa jelly jelly...
Come on, Akazawa...
My bet is still on her being the extra, and i would love to see her going through mind break phase...
Old 2012-03-13, 01:41   Link #72
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The amount of Mei zettai ryouiki fanservice in this episode was breathtaking. Literally every other shot while she was talking this episode focused on her upper legs area.
Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from getting completely freaked out by the atmosphere. Mei and her legs banzai.
Old 2012-03-13, 02:34   Link #73
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Spoiler for How are they a desk short:
I can think of a number of ways that doesn't sound plausible but, ah well, if that's the way the novel works, so be it. Chalk it up to another detail that didn't get adapted well in the anime. As it were, there are already a number of loopholes that stretch belief, so another one doesn't matter much.

Can we have further clarification about how names are erased from past records? Because, as I understand it, all historical traces of the Other are removed when the phenomenon is in effect, to prevent its identification during the year.

So, like totoum pointed out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Isn't the curse supposed to erase previous traces of the Another so if she was the Another would people remember her being in charge of 3-3 in 1996?
If Ms Mikami were the Other, then, by right, people shouldn't remember that she was the assistant teacher of the Class of 96, since she would have presumably died that year and has now returned.

Now, to further extend that train of thought, I would say that this year's Other is almost certainly a boy, not a girl. That would rule out Izumi as a suspect, along with Reiko and Ms Mikami. Consider this: the name of the Other in Matsunaga's year consistently cannot be heard in the audio record, and we know now that it was a boy Matsunaga accidentally "killed" that year, thus putting the extra person back into the grave and stopping further deaths in his class.

It also means that the Other of 1983 has returned to haunt the Class of 98. Whoever this person is, he would be someone who died before 1983.

A couple of other random thoughts:
(1)
I think I now know why the ostracism counter-measure works, even if I were to disregard my now debunked theory about just assigning 29 students to the class the year before. We've already established that ostracism is a form of "social death"; the person who doesn't "exist" is as good as "dead" in the eyes of the world.

Since it's now established that killing the "Other" effectively stops the phenomenon for the rest of the year, ostracism "works" because it plays out like a proxy for murder — but only if the "social death" is inflicted before the real deaths occur.

(2)
You know, I wished at least one of the students had thought of taking along a polaroid camera for instant photos...

It would appear that you don't need a special eye to see the "extra", as the original Misaki clearly looked out of place even to normal eyes. So... if you really need to identify the Other, simply take a class photo at the beginning of the year, not at graduation.

Then lynch the bugger!

And oh, another point:
(3) How is it that Mei could see through her glass eye? It's an inorganic construct. How could it possibly be sending visual signals to her brain?

I've always thought that Mei sees through her right eye, and that the glass eye superimposes another layer to her vision, allowing her to identify the dying and the dead. But, in this episode, she clearly shows that she can actually "see" through the glass eye alone. Wut? How's that possible? Is this something voodoo I have to accept at face value, or just another mistake in the adaptation?
Old 2012-03-13, 02:38   Link #74
Bordix

It seems the preview suggests that someone other than Sakakibara and co. discovers the recording which I think will lead to everyone getting paranoid and suspicious. Adding more fuel to the possible fire, another one of their classmates is dying(?) apparently from Teshigawara's actions (it looks he had an argument with someone in this episode)

The preview is pretty damn bloody. I have this image of everyone going crazy and swinging weapons. I hope team Sakikakibara is safe and also Izumi, even though she was bitchy in this episode.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:05   Link #75
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And oh, another point:
(3) How is it that Mei could see through her glass eye? It's an inorganic construct. How could it possibly be sending visual signals to her brain?

I've always thought that Mei sees through her right eye, and that the glass eye superimposes another layer to her vision, allowing her to identify the dying and the dead. But, in this episode, she clearly shows that she can actually "see" through the glass eye alone. Wut? How's that possible? Is this something voodoo I have to accept at face value, or just another mistake in the adaptation?
That was indeed weird. I thought she couldn't see anything with her left eye till now
Old 2012-03-13, 03:27   Link #76
Unknown Soldier

Quote:

And oh, another point:

Spoilers for Kara no Kyoukai:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-13, 03:33   Link #77
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Spoilers for Kara no Kyoukai:

Spoiler:
Shiki is just Shiki and, besides, her "vision" works differently in that she doesn't see "death" so much as she sees...
Spoiler:

I would prefer that Mei's ability isn't so out-and-out mystical, as almost everything that has happened in Another isn't completely outside the realm of possibility, unlike in Kara no Kyoukai, which is at heart, just another shounen action-drama.

(For example, it's perfectly acceptable for tough women to leap over tall buildings in a single bound in shows like Kara no Kyoukai, but not so plausible for something like that to happen in a story like Another's.)

It's not hard for audiences, particularly Asian viewers, to accept the possibility of paranormal vision. We hear about people with such abilities all the time, and are aware that it's not a nice trait to have (the dead aren't, you know, a pleasant sight). It's hard, on the other hand, to figure out how a fake eye could actually trigger visual signals to the brain...
Old 2012-03-13, 03:42   Link #78
Unknown Soldier

Quote:
Shiki is just Shiki and, besides, her "vision" works differently in that she doesn't see "death" so much as she sees...
Spoiler:

I would prefer that Mei's ability isn't so out-and-out mystical, as almost everything that has happened in Another isn't completely outside the realm of possibility, unlike in Kara no Kyoukai, which is at heart, just another shounen action-drama.
Well, my understanding is that she sees

Spoiler:

And something happened already in Another which absolutely cannot be within the realm of possibility, and that's the appearance of the dead Yomiyama Misaki in the class photo of the original Class 3-3 which started the whole thing off in the first place. Unless you want to claim that someone dug his body up and propped it up in the background of the class photo on purpose, the dead appearing in a picture of the living is entirely out of the realm of possibility and underpins the entire story of Another with a supernatural or paranormal element from the get-go.

Quote:
It's not hard for audiences, particularly Asian viewers, to accept the possibility of paranormal vision. We hear about people with such abilities all the time, and are aware that it's not a nice trait to have (the dead aren't, you know, a pleasant sight). It's hard, on the other hand, to figure out how a fake eye could actually trigger visual signals to the brain...
Because you can't use science to explain paranormal vision.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:48   Link #79
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Uhhhhm, correct me if I'm wrong, but Misaki only knows how the dead one is since listening to the tape. She says she has a habit of never taking off her eyepatch while at school, and frankly, being able to see the color of death on people sounds quite disconcerting. So it's pretty safe to assume that she only took a peek after listening to the tape.

Also, Idiot Guy having caused an accident? Oh man... Feces are hitting the rotors now.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:52   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Because you can't use science to explain paranormal vision.
I can't help but chuckle whenever someone brings up this age-old, but seriously flawed, "explanation". Ghosts don't exist because they aren't scientific. Oh really? How do you prove a negative? How do we know if it isn't because we haven't actually found a way to measure and predict the phenomenon?

In a similar vein, how do we know that "paranormal" vision isn't actually possible? How do we prove a negative?

I find that the argument often comes up because people aren't willing to explore possibilities, and use "science" as an excuse for not doing so. That is in itself a failure to apply the scientific method, which is to come up with hypotheses and to test them with experiments.

It's a bit like insisting that evolution isn't possible because the Bible says so. Just replace "evolution" with "paranormal vision" and "Bible" with "science" in this case.

...but all that is not the point. As things stand in Ep10, I would say that Mei's all-seeing fake eye is a plot device I dislike and would prefer had not been introduced, because it detracts from the story's overall plausibility, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Closed Thread