Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-09, 07:38   Link #181
Kyouka
Is Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
Such a trollish remark. So you already judged the anime without even watching it. Goes to show you know nothing and base your opinion solely on what others say. And FYI they didn't mess up the story, at least not yet. Silver Link just decided to have the first episode several chapters ahead to get the audience acquainted with the main cast. The second episode is the when the story really begins. As for your criticism who likes to see a sexy anime ghost, you obviously haven't been reading much anime forums or even 4chan much have you.There are tons of fans of the manga and looking forward to the anime.
first off i read the manga
second off im not an troll and do not address me as Troll
third off your one of the reasons i dont post much on forums cause its filled of negative people like yourself that per say if u dont like something someone says u call them a troll Do you know what trolling is?
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 07:51   Link #182
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And here we go with the "first episode represents the entire series" mentality. >_>

Shiki? Another? Ghost Hunt? Stupid tags. I regard Tasogare Otome x Amnesia as supernatural, and that comes from someone who doesn't watch anime because of similar genres or another anime's success.
From ANN:

Quote:
"At the Private Seikyou Academy, there is a legend that all students have heard. 60 years ago, there was a girl who for some reason, was left behind in the old, abandoned school building to die. Teiichi Niiya one day meets a beautiful, mysterious girl named Yūko Kanoe at the old school building and gets a surprise- She's the ghost of the girl who died 60 years ago, but does not remember her past or how she died. Teiichi becomes determined to help her remember, and together, they seek the truth behind the gruesome legend."
Sounds like it was promoted as a mystery, horror, supernatural, occult or something along those lines. But what did we get instead?

We had a female character who was being really loud and annoying and being overly scared of everything for the entire episode, whilst the main male character was rather milquetoast and was blushing half the time or generally being beta. Oh he also got abused by another female character. Where have I seen all these before .

And what's wrong with watching an anime based off similar genres and other titles anyway. Not everyone enjoys or wants unnecessary dumb moe comedy shenenigans everywhere they go. If I wanted to watch that I'll go watch Medaka Box instead (which I did btw), but I won't go criticize that show because comedy sheninigans for a show like that is to be expected. In a mystery, horror, supernatural, occult etc like Amnesia? No... this is just unnecessary pandering.

Quote:
third off your one of the reasons i dont post much on forums cause its filled of negative people like yourself that per say if u dont like something someone says u call them a troll Do you know what trolling is?
It's cool dude. People by nature get defensive when you criticize something they like (even if it's bad), so you just have to accept that you're going to get a lot of flak and just be honest in how you feel or just ignore them.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 07:53   Link #183
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And here we go with the "first episode represents the entire series" mentality. >_>
Well, if the first episode fails to establish and present at least the general tone properly, then the staff is making a questionable choice.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 07:57   Link #184
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Sounds like it was promoted as a mystery, horror, supernatural, occult or something along those lines. But what did we get instead?
That's exactly what it is, now--have you seen the promotional material?
Old 2012-04-09, 07:59   Link #185
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
That's exactly what it is, now--have you seen the promotional material?
No it's not. I just got a whole bunch of moe comedy shenenigans with the bolded elements as a side.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:00   Link #186
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I came into this series expecting
There's your problem. You based your impression of the series on a vague description and one episode that barely scratches the surface of the story.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:03   Link #187
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
No it's not. I just got a whole bunch of moe comedy shenenigans with the bolded elements as a side.
Just read the manga. It looks 100x times better than the anime and the story is more explained and has less moe shenenigans.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 08:07   Link #188
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
If you had simply paid attention to the promotional material...

Spoiler for Image from the PV...:
Old 2012-04-09, 08:13   Link #189
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Haha. It is just the first episode and yet someone is talking as if we're already in the second half of the series? Anyway, the real deal will start in episode 2. I remember someone also said the same thing. OR maybe not
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 08:14   Link #190
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

...I get the distinct feeling I should avoid this thread since the 'shenanigans' as some people put it, are basically HALF the story... But that would just leave the nay-sayers and that won't be good.

I, for one, liked the ep. It took a little while to get used to since they started with Yuuko being invisible and then switched it around. Yuuko has the most adorable voice. They got the gist of the interactions between the characters spot on. I don't really mind that they started where they did - the beginning will be covered so I'm not going to have a cow.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:14   Link #191
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
There's your problem. You based your impression of the series on a vague description and one episode that barely scratches the surface of the story.
True, but is it really necessary to open an episode with silly "anime comedy"? I thought opening episodes were supposed to catch people's attention or set an atmosphere. I hardly felt a mystery/horror/supernatural tone.

Quote:
If you had simply paid attention to the promotional material...

Spoiler for Image from the PV...:
You know... that only further enhances the argument that comedy shenanigans was not to be expected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Just read the manga. It looks 100x times better than the anime and the story is more explained and has less moe shenenigans.
At the very least, thankyou for admitting that there were moe sheninigans, because it feels like most people don't think there was or that it didn't have a significant detrimental effect (imo) to whatever the show is supposed to foreshadow in the future. Glad I wasn't the only one. I'll give the manga a shot in the near future.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:16   Link #192
konart

Quote:
Jesus Christ. I came into this series expecting a horror/mystery along the lines of Shiki, Another, Ghost Hunt and instead I got dumb moe comedy shenanigans. Good grief.
While I like thouse - it's really hard to call them a horro or mystery. The only mystery in Another was "why the hell it took her so llong to tell who is the dead one and we don't know their teacher second name from the start". Mystery my ass...
Same goes for Shiki - a bit of a childish horror and yet another(no pun intended) "out of nowhere" mystery.
GH, perhaps , is the only one deserving thouse tags. Everything else is just "supernatural".

As for the Amnesia - it surely has some comedy elements, as well as ecchi and moe, but it's still more of a mystery than Shiki or Another, trust me.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:16   Link #193
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouka View Post
Oh really? You sure fooled us. Based on your previous post it sure doesn't sound like you have any love for the manga. I know when someone trolls and obviously you're the one that's confused. I could tell why you were trolling but I'm not that generous to explain it to you. And before you brand me as "negative" you should reread your previous post and realize how much of an oxymoron your statement is.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 08:30   Link #194
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
While I like thouse - it's really hard to call them a horro or mystery. The only mystery in Another was "why the hell it took her so llong to tell who is the dead one and we don't know their teacher second name from the start". Mystery my ass...
Same goes for Shiki - a bit of a childish horror and yet another(no pun intended) "out of nowhere" mystery.
GH, perhaps , is the only one deserving thouse tags. Everything else is just "supernatural".

As for the Amnesia - it surely has some comedy elements, as well as ecchi and moe, but it's still more of a mystery than Shiki or Another, trust me.
Oh don't get me wrong. I totally agree that Another went off the rails in its last 2 episodes, but for the majority (10 out of 12 episodes) it was pretty solid. Shiki was slow at bits and yes it did have a few "where did this come from" parts. But you know what the difference between this and those two were? Those two didn't present itself from the get go as a silly comedy. I REALLY hate it when anime does this. They promote something as X, but gives you pointless faffing about. Sure, in the future it may get the ball moving, but how many series actually deliver later on. At best its 50%, and that's being very generous. Why should people have to wait at least the 1/3 or 1/2 way mark before it actually gets going. It's one thing to add in lighthearted comedy within your genre context and another thing to overwhelm the context with something unnecessary and just sprinkle what you're 'supposed' to be on the side and expect it to pass. I for one don't tolerate that at all.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:40   Link #195
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong. I totally agree that Another went off the rails in its last 2 episodes, but for the majority (10 out of 12 episodes) it was pretty solid. Shiki was slow at bits and yes it did have a few "where did this come from" parts. But you know what the difference between this and those two were? Those two didn't present itself from the get go as a silly comedy. I REALLY hate it when anime does this. They promote something as X, but gives you pointless faffing about. Sure, in the future it may get to the ball moving, but how many series actually deliver later on. At best its 50%, and that's being very generous. Why should people have to wait at least the 1/3 or 1/2 way mark before it actually gets going. It's one thing to add in lighthearted comedy within your genre context and another thing to overwhelm the context with something unnecessary and just sprinkle what you're 'supposed' to be on the side and expect it to pass. I for one don't tolerate that at all.
The PV clearly showed that it is neither entirely a comedy nor is it entirely a mystery series. That's my point, a synopsis you read somewhere online isn't what they promoted this series with--it was promoted with various animated and one live action preview not to mention the promotional event with the seiyuus. What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?
Old 2012-04-09, 08:46   Link #196
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
True, but is it really necessary to open an episode with silly "anime comedy"? I thought opening episodes were supposed to catch people's attention or set an atmosphere. I hardly felt a mystery/horror/supernatural tone.
In this case, yes actually. Without trying to spoil anything, the story is initially light hearted and comedic. The idea is to juxtapose the dark mystery and horror elements with a lighter side. Yuuko (the ghost) has a very disturbing past, and as the plot unravels the mystery it gets harder to trust that she's the nice happy ghost you see initially. Every mystery the characters solve brings them closer to the truth of what happened to Yuuko, but it also opens up some sometimes uncomfortable reflection on the other characters. Some of the mysteries have a happy ending, some....not so much. The story isn't super dark, like Another or Shiki, but it's definitely not a supernatural harem comedy like Rosario.

As for the annoying detective girl, be thankful....unless the anime changes things, she's not around much or as annoying in every appearance either.

If nothing else, come back later on and see if you like it then.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:48   Link #197
konart

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong. I totally agree that Another went off the rails in its last 2 episodes, but for the majority (10 out of 12 episodes) it was pretty solid. Shiki was slow at bits and yes it did have a few "where did this come from" parts. But you know what the difference between this and those two were? Those two didn't present itself from the get go as a silly comedy. I REALLY hate it when anime does this. They promote something as X, but gives you pointless faffing about. Sure, in the future it may get the ball moving, but how many series actually deliver later on. At best its 50%, and that's being very generous. Why should people have to wait at least the 1/3 or 1/2 way mark before it actually gets going. It's one thing to add in lighthearted comedy within your genre context and another thing to overwhelm the context with something unnecessary and just sprinkle what you're 'supposed' to be on the side and expect it to pass. I for one don't tolerate that at all.
Last two? For me it was starting the 3rd ep By that time it was already clear that we are getting "guess who" game and the only two things I was paying attention to were Misaki and main guy interactions + death of the day parts. Those were good

>Those two didn't present itself from the get go as a silly comedy.
This is not silly comedy, it is more like a slice of life of a mystery school club where they are solving mysteries of the school and at the same time are trying to find out what actually had happened to Yuuko. And it's totaly ok for a slice of life to have some comedy and other everyday life stuff, right?
Old 2012-04-09, 08:52   Link #198
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
The PV clearly showed that it is neither entirely a comedy nor is it entirely a mystery series. That's my point, a synopsis you read somewhere online isn't what they promoted this series with--it was promoted with various animated and one live action preview not to mention the promotional event with the seiyuus. What in the living bloody fuck was in any of those promotional materials that said "hey, this is going to be like Shiki/Another" or could it be that you ignored the evidence and simply made your own uninformed assumptions?
MAL tags: Mystery, Horror, Romance, School, Shonen, Supernatural
ANN tags: Drama, mystery, romance, supernatural, ghosts, school

+ the PV and synopsis. I don't see "moe" or "comedy" anywhere. And these two elements overwhelmed everything else. If they were just side elements I wouldn't have cared, but that's pretty much all I got. That's my problem. Did I expect a Shiki/Another/Ghost translation entirely? No. Did I expect an atmosphere or premise that would indicate said tags, synopsis and PV? Yes.

And what kinda promotion would explicitly say: "This series is going to be like that other anime X". Stop putting words in my mouth.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:57   Link #199
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
As for the annoying detective girl, be thankful....unless the anime changes things, she's not around much or as annoying in every appearance either.
That's the thing,I don't remember her being that present in the PVs or nearly as hyperactive in them and much of the first episode was focused on her that's why I can understand where DemiSoda is coming from.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:01   Link #200
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Welp, I didn't really get exactly what I expected either (based on the PV and the summary) but I enjoyed this episode nonetheless. Sexy prankful ghost are more than A-OK in my book. Although there was a lot of comedy in this episode, I'm sure it'll get more serious later on. I'm highly interested in the mystery surrounding Yuuko's death. We know her corpse lies under the club room, so obviously, something pretty bad must have happened.

While showing the same scene two times in a row may have seemed like a waste of time, I enjoyed watching it from two different point of views even if you could more or less deduce what was what happening without seeing Yuuko. It gave us a good feel of the personality of each characters. That said, this first episode could have definitely been a lot better. In fact, it didn't feel like an introductory episode at all, which is only natural they've skipped the first chapters according to what I'm reading in this thread.

PS: the MC would have jumped at the top of my ranking for this season if he had actually grabbed that boob on purpose. What a disappointment... what did he think he was touching anyway?

Tags
horror, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural