AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-25, 23:28   Link #61
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Throw Leecher Down The Well~
Old 2006-02-25, 23:30   Link #62
Quixzlizx
Banned

Glib

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
I work for a fansubber. So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about. But trust me.... You don't.

I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about. This is how bad info gets passed around.

If you don't know about the topic....Don't make yourself sound like you do. Because some readers believe anything they hear.
You're glib. You don't know the history of fansubbing. I do.
Old 2006-02-26, 00:05   Link #63
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixzlizx
You're glib. You don't know the history of fansubbing. I do.
Hmm., that comment makes me think: Does history matter here?

VHS fansubbing is about as far removed from current digisubbing as D&D is from final fantasy. Sure, it always helps to have a historical perspective, but is it really going to help predict current trends? Let's face it, it's a very confusing time right now.

A ton of new groups, but most die out...

Older, first generation digi-subbing groups dieing out left and right...

Some new, powerful players, bred by a sense of competition...

A glut of anime, but a scarcity of masterpieces...

An influx of fans, but a dearth of depth to those fans...

An easing of distro costs, but a lowering of availability...

If I were the fansub federal reserve chairman, I'd raise interest rates, just in case. But just by a 1/4 percent...

Back on topic, Lyt's point which she made so inelloquantly is this: There are a ton of new shows this spring. A record, in fact. Whether they will be any good, or how many are "worthy" of subbing remains to be seen, but the fact is it will be a litmos test for the fansubbers. Have we adapted to the medium and the changes that have been wrought by Naruto over tha past year? Are we capable of subbing everything the community WANTS us to sub? Or will we reduce ourselves to infighting and bickering, speed wars and leecher wars, and forget that we do this not for ourselves, but for everyone who enjoys anime.

I've heard a lot of simple opinions from downloaders in this thread early on: "If it's good it'll be subbed."

I pray you are right.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-02-26, 00:40   Link #64
tupou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
I work for a fansubber. So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about. But trust me.... You don't.

I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about. This is how bad info gets passed around.

If you don't know about the topic....Don't make yourself sound like you do. Because some readers believe anything they hear.
The majority of the posts in this thread are coming from people who are also involved in the fansub community, you know.
Old 2006-02-26, 00:47   Link #65
stfu

Just about all of these "for the good of the community" threads and posts are pointless. There are a fuckton of different reasons/ideals for fansubbing, and everyone thinks their way is the gospel truth. Stop preaching and stop bitching. If you want people to work together, take into account that they won't think the same way you do.
Old 2006-02-26, 01:18   Link #66
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Sure they will. All fansubbers have the same goal: to obtain a massive epeen. "OMG EVERYONE LIKES MY SUBS +10 INCHES!"
Old 2006-02-26, 01:19   Link #67
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
I would like to announce my candidacy for Fansub Community President. If elected, I will delegate each and every anime this spring to a single group to maximize efficiency. Each group will be granted 50 leechers to idle in their IRC channel and 2 leechers to suck up to them every day. Groups that support me will get a 100mbit xdcc bot for distro.

Vote me for Fansub Community President!
Can I be on your staff as the token British guy to represent the minority Non American English speaking population ? =D

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-02-26, 01:20   Link #68
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

I'll sign up as the token French guy who'll attempt to steal all your scripts.
Old 2006-02-26, 02:37   Link #69
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Naww we need a token Brazilian guy more. :<

Edit: Actually, we need a token every person or we look Language-ist. ;_;

Last edited by Schneizel; 2006-02-26 at 03:01.
Old 2006-02-26, 03:58   Link #70
Harry Paratesticles
Regular Joe/Hentai Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Hmm., that comment makes me think: Does history matter here?
Amen (holy irony, Batman!). Bringing up "the good old days" of fansubbing is only a way for people to make themselves look venerable. The community changes every day, with new members joining, old members leaving, each bringing in or taking away an opinion or mentality or way of doing things. The only way to adapt to this is to accept that people are initially going to want to do what they want. Whether or not they want to act more rationally/open-mindedly is entirely up to them.
Old 2006-02-26, 08:47   Link #71
Sukebe
I Love Anime

somehow I expect 5+ groups to announce NANA....

dunno but this is just a big title in my book.....

I just want all series subbed really, sometimes there are good ones among the unsubbed

(b4 anyone comments about how some series do not deserve.... I direct you at CHIBI MARUKO CHAN, at first glance a kiddie series but most likely the most watched anime ever in Japan, I rest my case)
Old 2006-02-26, 09:21   Link #72
Athanor

Maruko-chan powa~~~~ (and i hope Nana anime will be good )
Old 2006-02-26, 10:25   Link #73
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I've heard a lot of simple opinions from downloaders in this thread early on: "If it's good it'll be subbed."
Don't worry, all the bad shows will also be subbed.
Old 2006-02-26, 11:39   Link #74
Kenji Ikari
Lazy Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Kenji Ikari Send a message via MSN to Kenji Ikari
lol, fansubbing
Old 2006-02-26, 11:47   Link #75
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

We can’t bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don’t go anywhere -- like the time I caught the ferry over to Oakville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Oakville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. 'Give me five bees for a quarter,' you’d say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah -- the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Old 2006-02-26, 14:09   Link #76
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I'm sick of all this Killshok elitism... NO FANSUBBER HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ANOTHER FANSUBBER WHAT TO SUB!
Old 2006-02-26, 14:10   Link #77
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
That is something completely different. What I am referring to is how people were making encodes with xvid and divx which did not work with old version of the codec. The same is happening with h.264. I had to go through 4 different encodes of a certain series to find one that was compatible with my current setup. (Probably the first time ever I have been happy for oversubbing.) Imagine if every single group had their own settings required to watch their releases.
Unlike MPEG-4 ASP (XviD, DivX), H.264 (when encoded properly and not via VfW) is not bastardised like ASP is. We have no packed frames, we have no "one frame in one frame out" limitations, we have no need for encoder or decoder side hacks and we have no QPEL bugs or GMC incompatability caused by half assed decoders.

Yes, half assed decoders. I am of course referring to the old DivX decoders which only used to handle GMC with one warp point (since their encoder only used one warp point), however XviD uses 3 warp points, and while perfectly compliant, old DivX versions could not decode it properly because they lack support. So it's not so much the encoders doing as they please, or everyone using different settings, it's down to a decoder only offering partial support of a feature which is easy enough to at least offer half support for (GMC can use up to 6 warp points).

As for H.264, the problems you likely encountered are from incomplete decoders or an encoder (person, not the software) doing stuff that would possibly cause problems, like badly appending files, using VfW or some other method of failure. As of now, Nero and FFDshow should be well capable of decoding encodes produced by Nero Recode or x264. Your issue should be with the people that write the decoders, not the encoders/encoding software (since x264 at least is compliant, and Nero is also, barring DVD subpictures).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixzlizx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
We don't need a fansubbing Hitler kthxbye
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
All right. Seeing this thread has become a place for fanboy leechers, I think it's time to call it quits since their opinion doesn't really matter.
Perhaps a leecher final solution will solve your problems.
I don't quite know what you're getting at, but I'm a fansubber also (encoder more specifically), rather than a leecher. Like N-Bomb, I have little interest in current titles, so I don't exactly do much leeching or fanboying.

There's too much drama in fansubbing these days... People should just get on with it.
Old 2006-02-26, 14:11   Link #78
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
I would like to announce my candidacy for Fansub Community President. If elected, I will delegate each and every anime this spring to a single group to maximize efficiency. Each group will be granted 50 leechers to idle in their IRC channel and 2 leechers to suck up to them every day. Groups that support me will get a 100mbit xdcc bot for distro.

Vote me for Fansub Community President!
bah screw democracy!
im for fansubbing anarchy! no more groups! every one should just translate, time, edit, typeset, and all that what they want and hope that some how it collides into a fully fansubbed episode

AKA Malakith
Old 2006-02-26, 14:16   Link #79
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
I'm sick of all this Killshok elitism... NO FANSUBBER HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ANOTHER FANSUBBER WHAT TO SUB!
Right, but we do have the right to call your efforts a waste of time and laugh at you in public. You do not need Ric Romero to tell you which shows are going to be popular. You should be able to think "Hey, this looks interesting, and I doubt anyone else would want to do it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Your issue should be with the people that write the decoders, not the encoders/encoding software (since x264 at least is compliant, and Nero is also, barring DVD subpictures).
My issue is that encoders use these features knowing that most common decoders cannot handle them properly. Btw, the ffdshow that handles h.264 is broken for playing some xvid back. This I do blame on the decoder!
Old 2006-02-26, 14:19   Link #80
LytHka
Banned

@Zero1: Do I have to point out the leecher to whom I was refering to? Everybody knows that you're a fansubber and the leecher will definitely know that he is one. Geez Louise...
Closed Thread