AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-21, 16:49   Link #1161
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

It was a small scene where we see Wan performing the Dragon Dance by learning it from a dragon.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 17:15   Link #1162
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Yeah except it wasn't in the episode I watched.

Apparently there were TWO episodes released this week and I didn't know about that. So I was kind of puzzled when people mentioned the dragon.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 18:30   Link #1163
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Wan probably had one of the best origin stories ever. The problem here is that gives the main story a lot of hype and considering how disappointing Korra's character and story in season 2 have been to me, I'm not really impatient to watch the next. By seeing Wan's story, I noticed more of Korra's flaws just like wanting to start the war. While Mako's character suddenly got a lot better, Bolin still hasn't done anything relevant.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 10:52   Link #1164
james0246

What a beautiful episode. Simple, yet evocative. The Legend of Wan is very reminiscent of earlier Aang stories. Similar to Aang, Wan exists in a fairly black and white world, not necessarily the nitty gritty details (the interactions between humans and spirits, and later humans with other humans speaks of the great grayness in the world), but in this overarching struggle between Order and Chaos (whose semi-Taoist and Buddhist representation here is endlessly debatable, and the spin this puts on the whole Avatar cycle is quite interesting) which is a fairly simplistic good-vs.-evil morality (or at least it is presented that way) - It's always nice to have a dedicated somewhat simplistic evil to fight. This mythology creates a wonderful origin story, plus it adds to the debates concerning what life was like pre-bending (I love how bending helps create a more egalitarian society, though it should be noted that the people of the pre-bending world seem to have been less violent than those who gained bending).

That being said, stellar animation abound throughout the episode. Japanese animation studio Pierrot has been doing a lot of the animation for this season, and frankly it shows, and not in a good way. So, it was nice to see Korra's original animation studio, Studio Mir, back in action. The movements were crisper (just look at how the Lemur spirit moves and fidgets, and compare it to the fairly static work on Varrick in most episodes), the camera actually moves (zooming, panning, and lots of erratic movements during the climatic fight scene) the elements are more artistically rendered (they even have curlicues ), and the backgrounds are wonderfully stylized ala traditional paper cut-outs or woodcut prints. The fighting is similarly well animated, looking larger and more powerful than anything we've seen since the original series' finale.

Also, the voice acting by Steven Yeun was quite great. With wonderful nuance and subtlety mixed with effortless humour, Yeun, of Walking Dead fame, is more than up to the task of commanding an entire episode by himself. And the work he did during Wan's death scene was simply superb.

Overall, this was a near perfect episode and a wonderful shot in the arm for Korra. I'm very eager to see how she accepts and understands the teachings of Wan and just what the harmonic convergence will mean for the Avatar. 95/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 11:47   Link #1165
ellifeedn
Thinker

What was the 5/100 you didn't like?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-22, 13:24   Link #1166
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
What was the 5/100 you didn't like?
The old Fire Lady seemingly knowing everything for no apparent reason (and having a stockpile of air bison was also a little annoying). There was also some set-up between one of Tenzin's tykes and Wan that was never really delivered on. I was also confused as to why bending worked in the spirit world, but I assume that is because Wan entered the world in body rather than just spirit (ala Aang way back when). I was also upset we didn't get to see the early Water-bending and Earth-bending cities.
Old 2013-10-26, 11:27   Link #1167
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

No episode? o_O
Old 2013-10-26, 11:56   Link #1168
kitten320

I guess it is because of 2 they aired last week.
Old 2013-10-26, 20:53   Link #1169
Friday
Im shy too...

1st November its back
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 23:54   Link #1170
peskylemur25

So there was an era before wan where people lived in the world but then Vaatu broke down the barrier between the two world and cause the humans to lived on lion turtles? And only the lion turtle knew energybending? Cause from the first series I thought everyone did before the era of the avatar. But yeah it was a great episodes. Could human lived in the spirit world too?
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 04:34   Link #1171
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Poor Tenzin. He really just wants to do the right thing so bad but he fails so hard because he's not the chosen one.
Old 2013-11-02, 04:55   Link #1172
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The post-"Origin" afterglow seems to have lifted Korra for at least a week - this was a pretty decent episode. We'll see if it's an aberration or a trend.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 19:28   Link #1173
takai
Easy Muffin

Seems like Masami is coming back quicker than I thought. I seriously did not expect that embrace and kiss. But I still think an episode or two before the finale, Korra and Mako will get back together.

I really hope Varrick isn't evil for the rest of the show, I love that guy.

The work by Studio Perriot pales in comparison to the work Studio Mir did in the Wan episodes, that animation and art was beautiful. Why would they ever want to go to a different studio? I'm glad that the final 5 episodes Mir is doing.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 18:03   Link #1174
kitten320

It was a good episode but that Masami kiss... WTF? Like I don't mind the pairing but that just came out of nowhere. In last episode they were all awkward and now they are hugging/kissing like if it was natural.

And as Bolin said, Korra was only gone for a week. Mako switches girls way too fast and I don't even want to know how Mako will dump Asami again for Korra. He really is a jerk when it comes to relationship.

Story wise, am confused as to why Unolaq wants dark spirit out.
Old 2013-11-03, 22:58   Link #1175
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Seems like the creators are re-using s1 basically. I think since they didn't know if they would get another season, they just settled the love triangle by the end of s1. But now that they know they're getting several, they're going to make it drag on

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 23:20   Link #1176
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Story wise, am confused as to why Unolaq wants dark spirit out.
Well, he said he wanted to change the world and bring back spiritualism or something like that. I'm guessing he was promised a different kind of world than what he would actually get if his plan succeeded.

Either way, he doesn't like where the world currently is and where he sees it is heading.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:50   Link #1177
james0246

Decent transitional episode. I'm glad they tied oldest-air-daughter back into the Story of Wan and the Spirit story arc. It was a nice development, and Tenzen's character development from this reveal was quite nice (it also gave us a decent apology from Korra). Tenzen, in many respects has grown the most this season, as he has been forced to constantly deal with his flaws in several somewhat distracting side-stories.

The Asami x Mako development was a little quick, but still understandable and fairly solid. I am upset that the two crooked looking police officers seem to have turned out to be crooked (I was hoping they were just messing with Mako in earlier episodes, but they've been pushed from minor annoyance to sleazy too quickly to be anything but crooked), but otherwise this reveal is okay, especially since it will give Asami something to do next week since Mako will be locked up. I'm still upset Bolin is going to be nothing but a joke for the entire season, but at least he's a constantly fun joke, and I'm holding out hope that he and Asami will team up next week to bring down Varick (Bolin and Asami are easily the most underused characters of this overstuffed season, so something solid from them would be nice).

The Unalaq bit was a little silly (and it paved the way for the twins eventual betrayal), but it should all come together next week as Korra and that girl enter the spirit realm (here's hoping the Lemur spirit returns). 85/100.

Side note: I loved Tenzen's "I knew this would happen!" line after Korra's quick expository infodump at the start of the episode. Also, Bumi and his new spiritual son were great.

Additional, and happy, side note: this seems to be the last episode Studio Pierrot animates for the season. I hope and pray this is true since much of my displeasure from this season stems in part from the very average work they've done (or haven't done) in animating the episodes. Thankfully Studio Mir (who did the first season and the two-part "Beginnings" episodes) is taking over again.
Old 2013-11-07, 09:54   Link #1178
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Nice of Korra to apologize to Tenzin. I always thought she made a harsh goodbye regardless of reasons.

Also, I really hope Beifong is just pretending to be incompetent cos I can't believe I'm disliking her after what she did in season 1.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 13:59   Link #1179
kitten320

Really Korra? Really? You've seen Wan's story and the first thing you do is attack spirits in their homes?

I'm afraid this girl will never learn! Because of her Jinora got captured and second portal was open, IDIOT!

If Iroh's teachings won't help either, I give up on this girl.
Old 2013-11-09, 14:23   Link #1180
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Now now, don't be too hard on her. She's just doing what comes natural to her.

Wittle Awatar Kowwa so cuuuuuuuuuuute!

Where did Unolaq even LEARN this spiritual affinity crap? Even getting that owl spirit on his side?

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra